Science! in Equestria 509 members · 542 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

I've recently learned about microevolution and macroevolution, which kills about half the things I ship. So I was wondering if there were any fics out there that has somepony experimenting with ways to make multi-species breeding possible?

The existence of composite creatures like griffins, chimeras, and even pegasi suggests that species barriers may be a lot more permeable when magic is involved.

And remember, just because the couple can't reproduce together doesn't mean that they can't love each other. After all, if that were the case, homosexuality wouldn't exist.

...If pegasi are composite creatures, though...

Are unicorns originally a crossbreed with a rhinoceros or a narwhal? :)

All I'm saying is that mammals don't normally have feathers or an additional set of limbs. Horns have precedent. Bird parts, not so much.

Generally, they symmetrical paired horns with a bone core, though, except for those two... Rhinoceros horns are keratin-only, while narwhal "horns" are actually teeth. Makes me wonder if the spiral pattern of a unicorn's horn is actually two horns twisted together.

jxj

5128425 interspecies breeding is possible, but there is limitations and unintended consequences. Examples: ligers, Mules, Zorse, etc. The closer the species, the more likely it is to be possible.

Umm...evolution isn't really separated into micro and macro. Are you talking about speciation? Where one population becomes incapable of breeding with another?

Luminary
Group Admin

The Micro/Macro evolution is something from religious fundamentalists created out of whole cloth to try to explain why we can see evolution in a lab, or in studies in the field, while saying that it totally doesn't lead to speciation or huge changes. Things will change (microevolution) but totally not enough to change species (macroevolution), which were all created by God, more or less as-is.

It has absolutely no use, existence or meaning outside of the heads of random religious nutjobs.

Why would it ever kill what you ship? Besides Fan's points, it would be like saying you can't ship someone who turns out to be infertile because of illness or injury.

Though the idea of people losing the ability to love once they get their tubes tied is vaguely amusing.

Shining Armor is a unicorn, and Cadance is an alicorn or, if she has old genetics, probably a pegasus. Either pony genetics is just really adaptable, or there's magic available to accommodate minor differences such as number of limbs. Given the Cake twins, I'd lean toward the former.

I'm aware of the origin of the term. I was wondering how it wound up in OP's post and even more confused as to how that would possibly impact shipping.

We do not have micro/macro-evolution; but only however, evolution. The distinction is a way CreaTards, when confronted with observed evolution, try to argue that evolution can only go so far.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11