Science! in Equestria 509 members · 542 stories
Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15

I thought of this theory a little over two weeks ago and thought I would share it here; enjoy!

I was watching a documentary about volcanos the other day and it got me thinking: what if Canterlot was built on a volcano?

There is evidence that supports what I think, and one piece of evidence is the "Crystal Caves" below Canterlot. Crystals are often formed, and found, in volcanic tubes.

Thinking about how Canterlot might have been built on a volcano, I started thinking about the mountain named "Smokey Mountain" just outside of Ponyville that the mane six had to climb in the episode "Dragonshy."

I believe that mountain is actually another volcano. There is also evidence to support this theory as well! What is this evidence of mine (besides the name) you ask? Three words: Sweet Apple Acres.

The Apple Family claims to have the best tasting apples in all of Equestria, and I wouldn't doubt it! Volcanic soil is very rich in nutrients, and that is why their trees grow so well and the apples taste so good!

If you can recall in the episode "Family Appreciation Day," we learn that Princess Celestia gives the Apple Family that land to build a farm.

Granny Smith: And as if the beauty of that city wasn't enough, suddenly, she appeared. Princess Celestia, the most regal of all ponies. When lo and behold, she stopped to look at my pa's seed collection. Then Princess Celestia saw that we were plumb-tuckered and hankerin' to find our forever home. And bein' a royal Princess and all, she knew exactly the place for us to lay down our stakes.

That fits way too well to just be a coincidence, don't you think?

Then I got to thinking, two different volcanos right next to eachother is rather strange... unless the volcanos were formed from two tectonic plates meeting at a convergent boundary. With this type of boundary, a chain of volcanoes often forms parallel to it, along with a mountain range.

If you look at the map of Equestria, there is a mountain range connecting the two.

There is even a mountain named "Smoky Mountain" for goodness sake!

What do you all think of this theory of mine? Is there enough evidence for you to believe this theory?

Or do you think I am looking to deep into this?

Convergent continental plates generally don't produce extensive volcanism (when was the last time you heard of an active volcano in the Himalayas?). For volcanoes, one of the plates must be oceanic at the the convergence point.. It's more likely that if Canterlot were on a volcano, it is a result of a hotspot, like Hawaii.

jxj
jxj #3 · Nov 5th, 2015 · · ·

Hmm, not a bad theory, mind if I use it?
Building off of this, volcanoes often drag up various industrial metals such as aluminum and nickel from the mantel as well as valuable metals such as gold. Gems (especially diamonds) are often formed from volcanic activity. The core of equestria would be heavily laced with valuable materials and industrial materials. This would give equestria a significant financial and industrial advantage over their neighbors as they all developed and would propel them into a superpower status. It also gives cities in the region (such as canterlot) a source of clean energy.

Elric of Melnipony
Group Admin

You're forgetting the influence of being in a high-magic environment.

I mean, not only are precious stones found in abundance, but they're actually already in cut and polished form right when they're dug out of the ground.

Normal principles of geology just don't apply.

The Indus Suture Zone represents the northern limit of the Himalaya. Further to the North is the so-called Transhimalaya, or more locally Ladakh Batholith, which corresponds essentially to an active margin of Andean type. Widespread volcanism in this volcanic arc was caused by the melting of the mantle at the base of the Tibetan bloc, triggered by the dehydration of the subducting Indian oceanic crust.

source

There may have been a small ocean/sea in between the south and north plates, causing volcanoes to form.

As long as I am credited, go right ahead!

That is a very good point!

And as we have seen, the Griffin Empire seems to be very poor.

jxj

4832905 there's a lot of stuff that doesn't apply. The fact that cadence got pregnant is shocking considering ponies completely lack reproductive systems

Normal principles of geology just don't apply.

Normal principles of everything don't apply to the world of MLP. :rainbowlaugh:

4832920 What? No; they just lack visible reproductive systems. My headcanon is that they're concealed and not visible from the outside, like Fluttershy explains in this fic. I guess magic could also have a part in hiding them.

jxj

4832935 Or they just aren't shown because it's a kid show. Everything we see is going to be filtered through that lens. There's just stuff in the show that won't accurately represent reality. For example, the fact that every fifth pony or so is a recolored clone of another. hmm, i missed that part of that fic, Do you happen to know the chapter?

jxj

4832917 hmm, I was mostly thinking of using it for world building and not really calling it out directly, but i'll figure out a way to work it in.
My theory for griffonstone is that it was annexed/conquered from the griffon empire at some point in the past. Unfortunately, regions that fall under that category just don't seem to do as well. Guam has the highest GDP of the U.S. territores, but it's about 1/3 of the lowest states GDP.

Ah, I see. As long as you don't try to pass it off as your own theory, I'm fine with it.

I hate plagiarism!

jxj

4832975 I'll find a way to work in credit for the original idea. Fics still a long way out though, don't even have a title yet lol.

I was planning on writing a 'natural disaster' fic where the volcanoes erupt and the ponies have to find a way to survive the destruction the volcanoes bring.

I have plenty of ideas for it, I just need to start writing it. (Easier said than done! :rainbowlaugh:)

Is that the same idea you had, or is it different?

jxj

4834153 i was planning on using it for wold building. For example, the central mountains would be studded with valuable resources and patches of super fertile soil. This means that the majority of the population would be focused along the range as that's where the vast majority of the resources and agricultural potential is. The mountain range also divides the landmass nicely so I can see the development of two distinct cultures, one in the north and one in the south. It also changes how I view of the badlands. While previously I imagined them as deserts, they could easily be geothermally active areas

These are from a region in california called Bumpas Hell. The yellow is from sulpher, the whole place smells like rotten eggs. The water is toxic and there's pits of boiling, superheated mud. It's caused by a nearby volcano venting heat and chemicals into the environment. There are several areas like it in the area surrounding the volcano.

My main issue with writing is finding the time because i'm super busy with school. On top of that, i overplan everything. I spent a month researching phones (i was choosing between 3). This is also my first time writing fiction since middle school and my first time writing for fun.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15