Science! in Equestria 509 members · 542 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10

When contained and flash evaporated, water will violently explode outwards into steam. Steam explosions can cause a lot of damage. I know that small explosions can happen in someone's skin if someone touches something hot enough, blasting open the outer areas from the rapid evaporation.

But what would happen if somepony's entire body were to instantly be heated to about, say, 5.7 thousand degrees Kelvin? Would they explode entirely, or is the body just not tight enough of a seal to let enough pressure build up, resulting in the steam pouring out of existing orifices?

Also, would that steam be red, or would it be pure water with all the other stuff that makes it "blood" left behind?

4583096 The Russians have been using something like this against illegal Chinese immigrants. A microwave gun. The victims that the gun is pointed at pretty much explode immediately, similar to popcorn bursting. With some irregularity, the bodies tend to be found inside out and burned. The Russians are allowed to get away with it because death from these guns is practically instant.

Based on this XKCD article, I'd imagine that you'd vanish so fast that there would be no way of knowing. You'd be gone in a flash.

EDIT: I can also say, with personal experience, picking up a piece of metal which is just below the glowing point does not cause the skin to explode.

4583111 Thanks!

4583247 I was more referring to "molten steel" levels of heat, actually. I read about an incident where a worker fell into a vat of it and the resulting steam explosion blew him out.

Oh! I misread thousand as million. My bad.

I've been hit by welding slag and never noticed a steam explosion. Also a flaming marshmallow once.

The surface of Sol would heat one from the outside inward; so now, one would vaporize outside inward.

As Walabio said, you'd be heated from the outside inward, and considering those temperatures would be rapidly tearing apart molecular bonds and stripping electrons from individual atoms, I don't think there would be anything left for any theoretical water to explode out of.

The Russians are allowed to get away with it because death from these guns is practically instant.

Death from a bullet in the head is almost instant also. Why is that not allowed?

4584157 Why are you asking me? I have no idea why.

4584701 I believe your argument is false. I don't think that the duration of dying has anything to do with them being allowed to use it. They can use the weapon because no one can really stop them without getting a backlash.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10