The Writeoff Association 926 members · 662 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12
Punbug
Group Contributor

Anyone have any thoughts on the YouTube channel "Terrible Writing Advice"?

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC3ogrx6d9oohf6D42G44j1A

Wanderer D

6158966 Is it any different from the awful writing "advice" I see in comments here (in fimfic general) all the time?

Zaid ValRoa
Group Contributor

He's fun. Though I'm always worried that there will be people who will still miss the sarcasm and misapply his advice.

What is your favorite bit of "advice" that you have seen on this site?

It’s pretty funny! Yes! All that writing advice is terrible! LOL! :moustache:

Wanderer D

6159033 My personal favorite, paraphrasing was: "Get an editor so they can write the story for you." Because of the several levels of lack of understanding of writing that went into that sentiment. It sort of stuck. But there are a lot all over the place. It becomes a blur after a while.

I love that channel!:heart:

Punbug
Group Contributor

6158968 The videos are definitely done by a knowledgeable team or individual. The entire channel is sarcastic and full of irony. "Why give your villains believable motives when you can just make them Nazis! Besides, your readers will just get bored with the 'why' behind your villains' philosophy anyways. All they need to know is that their armor is nothing compared to the hero's plot armor!"

Wanderer D

6160348 Then I'll have to watch it :rainbowdetermined2:

Axis of Rotation
Group Contributor

Never heard of it, I'll have to check it out. ^.^

By far the worst offender is "show, don't tell."

Wanderer D

6160822 I would say that it definitely is the one that keeps popping up as a "definitive" thing without thought or context.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12