The Writeoff Association 937 members · 681 stories
Comments ( 6 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 6
Trick Question
Group Contributor

The Writeoff Discord chat is not as useful for discussing writing (and the Writeoff) as it should be. This is primarily due to Ponyess and ponies who respond to her, but it's also due to the fact that many ponies there like to chat about off-topic stuff, post YouTube videos, complain about their day, etc.

I've stopped using the Writeoff server almost entirely, because I can't successfully ask for help or discuss writing without what I say being instantly lost in spam. If we had a #writing channel on the Writeoff server whose purpose was only to discuss fiction writing and the Writeoff, this would allow us to have serious conversations about writing again.

The channel would require users to keep discussions on-topic. It doesn't have to be super-strict: if somepony mentions it's their birthday or something about their day, that would still be fine, as long as it doesn't turn into extended chatter past a message or two. One pun about something writing-related would be fine, but a constant barrage of that shit in response to everypony else's messages would not be allowed (sorry Ponyess). If somepony refuses to follow the rules after being told multiple times to keep discussion on topic, they could be temporarily locked out of the channel.

Of course, the #fim channel would still remain up, so if you like inane off-topic banter you could enjoy yourself there. And creating a channel in Discord is very easy to do. I don't think there's a good argument for why we shouldn't do this if anypony has interest in it. Roger wants to know if anypony besides me would like this to happen, so I'm posting here to gauge interest.

Please sound off here if you support the idea. Thanks. :twilightsmile:

Quill Scratch
Group Contributor

5750437 As much as I enjoy the general silliness and off-topic shenanigans, having some on-topic channels (maybe one for writing, one for writeoff business? Obviously there'd be some overlap, but I don't think that'd be a huge issue) would be a huge bonus for the server without any real downsides. So yeah, consider this me sounding off in support! :pinkiehappy:

archonix
Group Contributor

5750437 I'd greatly appreciate this as well.

Orbiting Kettle
Group Contributor

It's a fine idea.

MrNumbers
Group Contributor

The good news is, if this could be managed I'd consider coming back.

The bad news is, if this could be managed I'd consider coming back.

RogerDodger
Group Admin

Done.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 6