The Writeoff Association 937 members · 681 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9
Baal Bunny
Group Contributor

I just:

Heard about this today, but I really like the idea. The site is called Nonbinary Review, and they pay a penny a word for what is essentially legal fanfic. They put out quarterly issues full of poetry, minifics, and short stories--anything up to 5,000 words--with each issue focused on a different work in the public domain.

Their past issues have been prompted by The Wizard of Oz, by The King in Yellow, by Frankenstein, all kinds of things. Their next issue, with a deadline of May 15th, is prompted by the first Sherlock Holmes' story, A Study in Scarlet, and their upcoming issues page lists the themes and deadlines for the next couple after that--things inspired by Alice in Wonderland are due June 1st, and Anne of Green Gables stuff on July 1st.

I haven't had a chance to do too much looking around their site, but it sounds like it might be a fun thing to do. Which is to say I'm already about 800 words into a Conan Doyle riff that I hope I can squeeze into shape by the 15th.

Mike

bookplayer
Group Contributor

Anne of Green Gables stuff on July 1st.

...a fandom I can write and a deadline I can meet? How did that happen?

Thanks for posting this!

BlazzingInferno
Group Contributor

Whoa, cool! I don't suppose they've ever done Don Quixote? That's what pay-per-word makes me think of :raritywink:

Oroboro
Group Contributor

5205657 Looks interesting, but I'm having trouble finding the part on their website where they say they'll pay you.

bookplayer
Group Contributor

It's on the (real) Submissions page (not the one linked from the main site, for some reason):

NonBinary Review pays 1 cent per word for fiction and nonfiction, and a flat fee of $10 per poem and $25 per piece of visual art, payable upon receipt of the signed publication contract.

Cosmic Cowboy
Group Contributor

5205657 It's weird how the first website doesn't seem to have been updated since last fall. I haven't read Study in Scarlet in a while, but boy would I love a chance to get paid for writing Doyle-Holmes fanfiction.

Baal Bunny
Group Contributor

Their current issue:

Which seems to only be available for purchase through Amazon instead of being free on their website like their earlier issues are, is based on The Art of War, so it looks like they've got non-English language works on their radar, too. It'd be great fun to do something based on Quixote!

Their website isn't as intuitive as one might like, is it? Their editor, though, seems to update their main page every Friday. And speaking of updates, bookplayer, it looks like the Anne of Green Gables deadline has been extended out to Oct. 15!

My other related news is that "A Study in Sorrel," the story I wrote for their Sherlock Holmes issue, just got accepted! And yes, as the title implies, equine coat colors play a large role in the mystery. I might also mention that our narrator, Dr. Silver Scalpel, is a unicorn recently retired from Her Majesty's army due to injuries she sustained during a griffin attack, and that the detective she meets, an eccentric aardhorse named Currycombs, is the only adult horse Scalpel has even met who doesn't have an eigensigil on her flanks.

In other words, it's a Sherlock Holmes/My Little Pony crossover with every possible serial number filed off. The editor said in her acceptance note, "in our 2+ year history of publishing, this is definitely the most unique submission we've ever received."

I shudder a little at the use of the phrase "most unique," but heck, at a penny a word, I'll take it!

And thanks, Bad Horse, for the whole "Holmes has no cutie mark" thing... :twilightsheepish:

Mike

My interest.

You have it.

Baal Bunny
Group Contributor

The issue:

With my story in it, NonBinary Review #9, is now available for $1.99 in a couple of e-book formats. Next up is their Alice in Wonderland volume! :pinkiehappy:

Mike

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9