The Writeoff Association 937 members · 681 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10
CoffeeMinion
Group Admin

Find it here, pony folk!

Sunny
Group Contributor

Pah. I want to do general chattery in here, so much easier to follow!

NightLord
Group Contributor

I'm new here, so I'm not sure how this works. Has the prompt been decided, and the writing period started?

Bachiavellian
Group Contributor

The prompt gets decided at the same time the writing period starts, in about 14 hours. At that time, the "TBD" label on the event will change to the prompt with the most votes.

Good to have you with us!

NightLord
Group Contributor

5188647 Thanks! So is this where people vote on the prompt?

CoffeeMinion
Group Admin

5189257 First of all, welcome aboard! Feel free to ask anyone if you have questions. IMO, the Writeoff makes total sense once you've done it a few times, but it can seem really cryptic when you're just getting into it.

One fairly recent change is that 99% of the action with the Writeoff takes place on the Writeoff site itself. I mean, nobody even created a thread here for it until I realized nobody had created a thread, for pony's sake. :trollestia: So if you want to join in, you'll need to create an account over there. It's annoying to need a second account, but I feel it's worthwhile.

The way the Writeoff actually works is something like this:

* 36 hours before writing period: Prompt submissions open; anyone can submit one and only one
* 24 hours before writing period: Prompt submissions close and voting opens. You can vote for as many as you like.
* Start of writing period: (Duh, start writing) :derpytongue2:
* (Minific rounds have a 24-hour writing period. Short story rounds have a 72-hour writing period.)
* End of writing period: You will receive a slate of stories to read and rank. It is customary but not required to also review these stories. (All the cool kids will do it. Surely you also wish to be a cool kid?) :duck: :rainbowwild:
* ~5 days after end of writing period: "Finals" begin. Stories that did not make the cut for "finals" will be cleared from your slate of ranked stories, and you will receive several more finalist stories to read and rank (and review, one hopes).
* ~4 days after finals begin: The Writeoff ends. Three lucky ponies get medals; the rest of us get to wallow in... whatever it is ponies wallow in! :raritydespair:

Bachiavellian
Group Contributor

You gotta make an account at www.writeoff.me first. Basically everything happens over there.

This month's event is going to be at the top of the list; click it to expand it to see links to each part of the process. Prompt voting lasts another 9 or so hours, after which the winning prompt is revealed. This begins our 3-day writing time, when we're allowed to submit our stories. Afterwards, story submission closes and the gallery opens, where we can read, review, and rate everyone's stories.

M1Garand8
Group Contributor

Prompt submission and voting are usually 24 hours each, actually.

CoffeeMinion
Group Admin

5189447 I could swear that prompt submission has been 12 hours the last couple times. I say this because I missed it one time when I was counting on it being 24 hours, and it also seemed quite short this time. Though the start time change may have skewed my observation...

Perhaps Roger will descend from the heavens to clarify the matter? :scootangel:

M1Garand8
Group Contributor

I only experienced once when Roger forgot to start the prompt submission about 3 contests ago.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10