The Writeoff Association 937 members · 681 stories
Comments ( 772 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 772
RogerDodger
Group Admin

Event overview | Review spreadsheet

Please refrain from saying anything that might compromise your anonymity. Doing so is grounds for disqualification. It's recommended you do dummy reviews of your own stories should it otherwise be easy to deduce which you wrote.

Sorry for the delay. (There's only about 4 hours to submit prompts.) Was hoping to have a big site change pushed before making this.

Kritten
Group Contributor

Oh...

Hey. :eeyup:

The Letter J
Group Contributor

:applejackunsure: It might be time for me to miss my first FiM writeoff since I started participating. I'll be losing most, if not all, of this Saturday to my grandfather's funeral. Combine that with the normal school, work, and homework I have to do, and I might not have much free time this weekend. But I'll see what I can do.

MDNGHTRDHTLN
Group Contributor

I want to know who's using Starset lyrics as their prompt because we're like bffs now

5009642 I'm confused. Can you please explain to me what's going on?:twilightblush:

5009642 So, what limits prompt submissions? I'm curious.

MDNGHTRDHTLN
Group Contributor

5009704 I got you (at least, I'll try).

Each individual Writeoff competition is based on a prompt, and the way a prompt is selected is by the Writeoff community submitting a bunch of prompts and then picking the one that it, as a whole, likes the best. Click on "Prompt Submission" on the event page to submit your prompt (if you've got an idea for one; participation in this step isn't required to enter the actual writing portion of the competition), and then voting on the prompts will start once the timer runs out.

I wish there was more to say about this step but there really isn't :v

DATA_EXPUNGED
Group Contributor

Prompt submitted. Hatches battened. Finger on the panic button, ready to go.

Maybe I'll actually, successfully write something this time.

Probably not.

Zaid ValRoa
Group Contributor

I'll do my best to participate in this writeoff.

Here's hoping for the best!

FanOfMostEverything
Group Contributor

Oh boy. I picked a bad time to put up a "here's all of my ideas" blog. Well, hopefully the prompt will spark something.

Frogmyre
Group Contributor

Oh. Uh... these are things. Huh. Well, who knows? Maybe I'll do something. ... The World over Glimmer anyone?

Oh whatever. Atleast I got the smoke detector out of the ice cream cans and shut it off.

Less potential to panic as I wait. :pinkiecrazy:

I wonder if explaining things is worth a forum sticky. I love of anticipating panic. Me Sanity.

Majin Syeekoh
Group Contributor

This should be fun.

Comment posted by Kritten deleted Jan 28th, 2016
Kritten
Group Contributor

Well, I feel pretty stupid for posting that previous comment.

journcy
Group Contributor

I'm actually quite fond of a number of the prompts this time around. Let's see how it goes...

FrontSevens
Group Contributor

The submitter of Random Pretentious Sounding Phrase is my hero :heart:
Though I think a hyphen should be between Pretentious and Sounding

bookplayer
Group Contributor

Seconded. On both counts.

Also, having finished my magnum opus, with nowhere to go but down, I might be in this round if I can scrape together some time!

Titanium Dragon
Group Contributor

...man, why didn't I think of that?

That's the best since Title Drop. :V

The Cyan Recluse
Group Contributor

Ha! That's why I hoard all my ideas like a dragon hoards gold!

Meaning that I pile them up and keep them out of sight where no one ever sees them....

You know, now that I think about it, dragons are pretty horrible for the economy, aren't they? :rainbowhuh:

Sunny
Group Contributor

It begins

Icenrose
Group Contributor

I've lurked for far too long. I'm tossing my hat in the ring! :yay:

I went ahead and tossed in a prompt this time. I've done a full one minific writeoff, so obviously I'm a hardened vet now.

Not that I have any clue what I'd write if somehow my prompt wins. Actually planning ahead seems like an easy way to get disappointed.

Bachiavellian
Group Contributor

My reactions to reading our prompts:

Mixed Messages

Huh, I might be able to do something with that. I'll throw it a vote.

A Glass Case of EMOTION

At this point, not seeing this prompt in a Writeoff event would be like New Years without illegal fireworks.

Random Pretentious Sounding Phrase

Ha, this is the best! I'm sorely tempted to vote for it, but I have absolutely no idea what I'd write on the off-chance that it actually—

Ot

...oh god.

Gott Ist Ot

Oh god why. What hath I Ot wrought. :raritydespair:

Winston
Group Contributor

I'm already going into this one pretty annoyed right now. I just got the notification e-mail (as in, it literally, just a few minutes ago arrived in my inbox), so by the time I even knew there was an event starting, prompt submission was already closed.

It rather disinclines one to participate in what's supposed to be a group process if there's no meaningful chance to add input. :/

Not_A_Hat
Group Contributor

ohgoodgriefherewegoagain >.<

Cosmic Cowboy
Group Contributor

Jeez, it's a good thing I checked this again. I already missed prompt submissions, apparently. Let's see if I actually remember to submit anything this time.

JonOfEquestria
Group Contributor

Comforting hug.

Me too. Still, I'll try to submit something.

Von Snootingham
Group Contributor

I haven't actually been participating in any of these for a while, but I've still been submitting prompts. (lol, see if you can spit the pattern in them.) The window for submission was so microscopic, I'm surprised there are as many as there are.

Orbiting Kettle
Group Contributor

Uhm, another really short weekend for me. Not sure if I can put something together:applejackunsure:

JaketheGinger
Group Contributor

Welp, hopefully I'm not too hungover after tonight to give this a shot!

Kritten
Group Contributor

The Heart of a Poet

The Lines We Draw

The Mistakes We Make

The Nightmare I Need

I'm getting the strange feeling that all of these were written by the same person...

billymorph
Group Contributor

Well I missed the prompt submission, but then it's not like I had a good one burning a hole in my pocket. Should be a fun weekend for me whatever gets picked, after all these busy weekends I've finally got one free to just write. As long as I didn't just jinx it :twilightoops:

FanOfMostEverything
Group Contributor

I have to say, I love "All These Worlds" almost as much as I do "Random Pretentious Sounding Phrase."

They'd need four accounts to do so.

Anyone else nervous when voting for prompts?

The prompt of the prompt submission time limit cut me out of remembering those I had thought up before.

Oh well. Still waiting to write a thing and clear my mind, Must prompt voting be soo mush logner tahn promtp submiscion?

Those prompts are too heroic to wait for, I wish they'd giddy up already.

Calipony
Group Contributor

Sitting this one out.

Would've been a minific round, I could've tossed off something. But given the way my weekend looks like, even 2,000 words seem unreachable. Unless I'm victim of a stroke of inspiration, which I doubt.

Good luck guys, and kudos in advance to the finalists and the winners (CiG, Horizon, Bad Horse for this round). :rainbowwild:

Cosmic Cowboy
Group Contributor

So I'm sure this is a discussion we've had here before, but how many prompts do you guys usually vote for, and why?

Kritten
Group Contributor

5010829 Don't doubt yourself just yet. You never know, you could have some kind of Shakespearian moment come to you and write your entire story in just fifteen minutes. :derpytongue2:

Baal Bunny
Group Contributor

I always:

Go through the list from bottom to top and just check off whichever ones appeal to however I'm feeling at the moment. Sometimes that's three, and sometimes it's seventeen. I agree with other folks, too: I think I ticked off about ten of them this time.

Mike

I'll will participate. Anything to distract myself from the work I ought to be doing.

The Letter J
Group Contributor

Thank you, but you don't have to worry about me. His health had been deteriorating for quite a while without any signs of improvement. He hadn't even been able to talk properly for the past year or two. So this wasn't exactly unexpected, and is kind of a relief on some ways. Maybe I'll start bawling my eyes out at the funeral, but at least for now, I'm doing fine.

Calipony
Group Contributor

Doubting myself™ is a trademark I own. © Me.

I don’t think such thing can happen. I’ve not reached that skill level when it comes to punching text into a computer. It would be like asking me to play Liszt’s Second Hungarian rhapsody

Besides, someone upvoted my message, so I suppose at least someone is happy that I scratch from the bray.

Kritten
Group Contributor

Ah, alright. It's not like I even participated in the last competition anyways. :twilightsheepish:
Have a nice weekend.

Calipony
Group Contributor

Thank you too. May the Muse be with you.

I'm gonna do it this time. I'm gonna do it this time. No chickening out I swear. I'm gonna do it this time. *rocks back an forth in a corner* :pinkiecrazy:

Babbling aside. I got the message for this when it was almost time for prompts to stop, glad I was able to sneak one in. Quite a few more than last time are looking interesting this round so it should be fun to see which one gets it.

You know, now that I think about it, dragons are pretty horrible for the economy, aren't they?

Hey, I take offense to that! We're not all that bad. :twilightblush:

JonOfEquestria
Group Contributor

There's a case to be made that, by hoarding, you're effectively freeing economic resources to be used in other areas. It's only a problem if there's a shortage of money, and that's only possible if the central bank hasn't printed enough.

Also possibly dragons shouldn't hoard inflammable currency. Is that why Equestria uses bits? In Equestria, would a helicopter-drop be a dragon-flame-delivery?

Also, we could have a monetary policy flamewar! Fun!

JoE

Not_A_Hat
Group Contributor

5011317 Isn't that mostly the, ahem, metallic ones?

horizon
Group Admin

Screw it, joining the "Random Pretentious Sounding Phrase" voting dogpile. No idea what I'll write if it wins, but that's half the fun of troll prompts.

Man I am nowhere near recharged from the last round, but we're doin' this anyway. I have a rare opportunity to pull off the Writeoff's first hat trick: three gold medals in three consecutive (short-story) rounds. (CiG and I each have at least one back-to-back gold, but neither one of us has managed a threepeat. Pascoite's three golds are in rounds 18, 20, and 22; he didn't enter 19 or 21, but since those were short-story rounds too, his weren't really consecutive.)

Seeing as how I'm no longer going to be entering the minific rounds -- because burnout, and because reclaiming time to edit and publish all the stories I've already written, and because those are the ones I enjoy the least -- a triple-gold would be a great way to end my run atop the scoreboard.

Good thoughts. :fluttershysad:

The Cyan Recluse
Group Contributor

Oh god, what have I wrought with my comment?? :twilightoops:

Hmmmm... You know, 'What Have I Wrought' would have made a good prompt.... *puts it aside for next time* :pinkiehappy:

Cosmic Cowboy
Group Contributor

5011114 Don't worry about Saturday, we're only talking about grammar and publishing stuff. You go be you.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 772