The Writeoff Association 937 members · 681 stories
Comments ( 549 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 549
RogerDodger
Group Admin

Event overview | Review spreadsheet

Please refrain from saying anything that might compromise your anonymity. Doing so is grounds for disqualification. It's recommended you do dummy reviews of your own stories should it otherwise be easy to deduce which you wrote.

:scootangel:

Everyday
Group Contributor

Well, I made it here first, but I don't really have anything to say...

...Did everyone enjoy their Halloween?

JaketheGinger
Group Contributor

The ride begins.

Bradel
Group Contributor

Please refrain from saying anything that might compromise your anonymity.

My story will be titled, "The Water Buffalo". It will be a moving exploration of what it means to live as an outsider in your own culture.

Vic Fontaine
Group Contributor

Traveling this weekend, so I'm out.

Axis of Rotation
Group Contributor

I'm surprised people aren't pooped out from the original fiction round. You guys all have some stamina to you. Here's hoping I actually get something in for once.

Here we go again!

Waterpear
Group Contributor

I have a brilliant plan: enter this writeoff when all the regulars are tired out from the last one, and then cruise my way to victory unopposed.

Trick Question
Group Contributor

I am not Trick Question. I am somepony else.

Orbiting Kettle
Group Contributor

That was absolutely terrible, shame on you!:rainbowkiss:

Waterpear
Group Contributor

They, of course, wear shirts made of ponyester, and consume foods rich in ponysaccharides.

The Cyan Recluse
Group Contributor

Alas, I was too busy last week to enter the original fiction contest. I was too busy last week preparing for my trip THIS week to read and review the original fiction contest. And I probably won't get home until Sunday night, so I'm unlikely to be able to enter THIS contest either. :fluttercry:

Unless the a prompt is something that really strikes a chord, and I can churn something out in the hour or three of free time....

PaulAsaran
Group Contributor

Hmm... I'm already in a contest. Writing a short story for this as well would put me at a serious risk of missing my FiM publication deadlines when I've already pushed all of them back once, and I hate doing that. So yeah, probably not gonna join this one, unless the prompt really speaks to me.

I cannot tell from the rules, but is this restricted in any way other than to members of this group? In other words, are the requirements only those stated in the rules, to be a member of this group, write the story during the designated time frame, and magically submit the story in some unspecified manner? For submitting the story, I am guessing, after it is written, we add the story to the group stories folder into the appropriate subfolder for this contest?

Merc the Jerk
Group Contributor

I'M RARIN' TO GO! PUT ME IN, COACH, I CAN PLAY!

Granted, depending on the prompt I'll probably end up sucking dick with my story, but such is life.

RogerDodger
Group Admin

The rules are comprehensive. You submit stories through the website on the Fic Submission page.

Comment posted by Pimapifi deleted Nov 4th, 2015
Fuzzyfurvert
Group Contributor

It was quiet at my place, even with the big haunted house party down the street.

Pretty relaxing, really.

Kitcat36
Group Contributor

Woohoo! Another write-off! I have a take-home test due Friday and a test on Monday, so I really ought to be studying... I guess we'll see what happens. It's frustrating not having free time... Plus, I really want to participate again :fluttershyouch:

Fuzzyfurvert
Group Contributor

Best plan

10 OUTTA 10

Titanium Dragon
Group Contributor

You act as if we're not a bunch of soulless machinations who have no need for such petty things as "rest" and "time that is not spent on writeoffs."

Besides, we'll have a full 24 hours between the end of the current writeoff and the start of the next one.

Everyday
Group Contributor

You act as if we're not a bunch of soulless machinations who have no need for such petty things as "rest" and "time that is not spent on writeoffs."

"I know I'm not."

FDA_Approved
Group Contributor

Of course we're not pooped out! Of...of course...

Pst. Everyone. Take my anonymous poll concerning pony and original fiction writeoff scheduling. https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1i-S_n8Fp29l3huYgWjZ-R8dDo5hD1nN7rL4MgLstcdo/viewform?usp=send_form

Yes, it concerns you too. The main discussion we're having is whether to keep the schedule the same (5 weeks) or change the pony schedule so that the OF can fit in (people are suggesting to shift the pony writeoffs to a 6 week schedule instead.) If you have another suggestion, or perhaps other questions/comments let us know. :twilightsmile:

Calipony
Group Contributor

Yippee!
Time for another (merry) go-around!

Oops. :twilightsheepish:

4830724 You lost me at:

may not depict any sexual abuse of minors

Was planning on entering this one, but recent life (or rather, death) issues have made it difficult for me. I'll just have to see. :applejackunsure:

FDA_Approved
Group Contributor

For the anonymous person who was unsure about the writeoff in general, there is a FAQ page. There is no prompt yet because we are in the prompt round stage. Users submit possible prompts (we have a little less than 10 hours until prompt submissions are closed). Then, after the prompts are submitted, the users will have 24 hours to vote on the prompts they like the best. After voting ends, the winning prompt is revealed and we can start writing.

Hope that clears things up a bit. If you have any other questions you can always ask us or ask horizon, the group mod.

Axis of Rotation
Group Contributor

Don't feel very qualified to participate in the discussion, but I took the survey ^.^

FDA_Approved
Group Contributor

Thanks a lot! :pinkiehappy:

And for the rest of you, here is the summary page: https://docs.google.com/forms/d/1i-S_n8Fp29l3huYgWjZ-R8dDo5hD1nN7rL4MgLstcdo/viewanalytics
We'd still like more responses, so if you haven't already, please consider taking it. Let your voice be heard! :yay:

Kritten
Group Contributor

Just got finished with my previous submission and now there's another contest announced the day after results are in from the previous. Not only that, but there's also EQD's 2015 NaPoWriMo, where I'll be writing a worth of 50k more in words within a span of two weeks. Man, writing is just going to consume all of my free time, isn't it? :pinkiesick:

Prompt Voting:
At Least it's not NaNoWriMo

Made me chuckle, at least. :pinkiesmile:

M1Garand8
Group Contributor

Given that I'll be overseas and not having access to a computer and something remotely resembling a keyboard, I'll have to skip this contest. =/

While I don't plan on entering another Writeoff for some time (given my last shameful attempt), I'll probably watch this one out of sheer curiosity. I'm guessing that regardless of the prompt, there will be some good stories to peek at. :pinkiesmile:

Also:

Prompt Voting:
A Hard Day's Night

Looks like someone remembered one of my earlier prompt submissions, which is part of why I felt like seeing how this one would pan out for everyone even if that's not chosen. :twilightsheepish:

Trick Question
Group Contributor

At the risk of further downthumbs, I'd like to point out that the only source given for clarification:

https://www.law.cornell.edu/uscode/text/18/1466A

...has absolutely nothing to do with text, and as such, does not in any way apply to this (or any other) writing competition.

Unless, of course, we are somehow able and allowed to embed images in our stories, which would be news to me.

CoffeeMinion
Group Admin

I'm finally getting in on the action this time!

...So instead of merely admiring Pascoite's work from afar, I am preparing to be thoroughly beaten by it in a contest.

Broman
Group Contributor

*Inspects the list of potential prompts. *

Harder Than It Looks
Far From Home
Things Left Unsaid
Just Another Day In Paradise
Kill 'em with Kindness
Pushing On
Protecting Innocence
Secret Untold
Resting Place
Serendipity
Looks Can Be Deceiving
Behind Blue Eyes
Comeuppance

Alright, many good prompts that I really like. Hopefully one among them will be chosen and a new story will be unleashed.

JonOfEquestria
Group Contributor
Cerulean Voice
Group Contributor

I pray that the prompt is kind to me this time. Was bummed out in September :(

Smaug the Golden
Group Contributor

History Repeats indeed. This is what, the seventh time it's been submitted?:rainbowwild: Anyway, I might try to whip something together, although NaNoWriMo comes first.

Kitcat36
Group Contributor

So, which prompts are you guys most excited about?

Calipony
Group Contributor

No musical prompts this time?
Bummer.

Everyday
Group Contributor

A Whole New World; Just Another Day in Paradise; Behind Blue Eyes; and A Hard Day's Night are all songs, and it's fully possible others are, too.

Calipony
Group Contributor

Woops.
I only listen to classical music.

Who said liar? Who? WHO?

JonOfEquestria
Group Contributor

In the Hall of the Mountain King - Grieg
The Bartered Bride - Smetana
Gotterdammerung - Wagner
A Night on the Bare Mountain - Mussorgsky
A Musical Joke - Mozart
The Firebird - Stravinsky
Walking the Dog - Gershwin
The Thieving Magpie - Rossini
Water Music Suites - Handel
Nutcracker - Tchailkovsky
Pomp and Circumstance - Elgar
Danse Macabre - Camille Saint-Saens
The Gadfly - Shostakovich
The Pearl Fishers - Bizet
The Planets - Holst

Another time, perhaps...

Calipony
Group Contributor

A Little Night Music, that's what I need right now.
The Magic Flute, with Luna’s famous aria.
“The Abduction from the Seraglio” could be fine, too. Twilight Sparkle abducted by Discord from Canterlot’s SFGU.

EDIT : “The Force of Destiny” by Verdi. This one could make a really good prompt.

Kitcat36
Group Contributor

LOL

Should totally have expected that answer XD
Some of those sound like really fun prompts!
Oooh, I really like that last one you suggested. You should totally put it in for the next write-off!! If you don't, I will--that is, if I can remember :twilightsheepish:

Frogmyre
Group Contributor

My prompt is on that list. Rejoice!

And in other news, I hope that, no matter what is submitted, I end up being able to submit!

Trick Question
Group Contributor

I can't remember. What happened in September?

:trollestia:

Trick Question
Group Contributor

The Magic Flute, with Luna’s famous aria.

Georg
Group Contributor

4834382 I try to remember that kind of September when life was slow and oh so mellow. When grass was green and grain so yellow.
--Andy Williams

hazeyhooves
Group Contributor
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 549