Kid Icarus 96 members · 11 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1
Phazon
Group Admin

Last post on a thread was four years ago. Holy crap! Well, if this doesn't breathe new life into this group, nothing will.

Anyway, just like the title of this thread asks, if Nintendo decided to make another Kid Icarus game or a game set in the Kid Icarus universe, what would you like to see in it? Are there any plot threads you would like to see resolved? Any gods, godesses, or mythical entities that you'd like to see Kid Icarus' take on? How about some changes or improvements you'd like to see to the combat or the control scheme? Or maybe you'd just like to have air or land battle action on your Switch?

I suppose I'll start first, because as much as I loved Kid Icarus; Uprising back when it first came out, there's a few things I wanted to see improved, fleshed out, or expanded upon in a later game.

For one, if we got a proper sequel to Kid Icarus: Uprising, I think Viridi should still be an antagonist. Let's face it, the truce between Palutena and Viridi near the end of the game was grudging at best. And just because the Aurum, the Chaos Kin, and Hades all took turns being the villain in the second half of the game doesn't mean that Viridi stopped hating humans. I think this was a bit of a loose plot thread that could easily be expanded on in a sequel game.

Speaking of loose threads, I'd also be interested in seeing what happens to the Underworld without Medusa, Thanatos, or Hades. As evil as the Underworld is in the Kid Icarus universe, it does serve a purpose in the grand scheme of things, something that Chapter 22 makes very clear. Souls need somewhere to go after death, and if there isn't a god in the Underworld to call the shots, do the Reapers just go back to doing their jobs? Or do souls start piling up everywhere? And if they do start piling up, does that cause chaos in the world of the living?

As far as combat and controls go, I'd like to see a couple of improvements made. Now to be clear, I think we're all in this group because we enjoyed Kid Icarus: Uprising. The gameplay was fun, the characters are mostly endearing in their own ways, the soundtrack is incredible, and the story, while cheesy at times, was pretty well written. But if you all don't mind me saying, the control scheme... well, it sucks. You're supporting the 3DS (or in some cases, a bulky 3DS XL) with one hand on the L button and D-pad while controlling your aim and the camera with the touch screen. Not only does that cost you the A/B/X/Y buttons and the R button, which could've been used for additional controls and features, but playing for long enough can make your non-stylus hand uncomfortable from holding up the 3DS.

To be fair, Nintendo did the best they could with the 3DS's controls, and the game was well received. And the stylus controls allow for some very accurate shooting and smooth camera control (two things you absolutely want to have in a shooter), so they're not all bad. But it's worth pointing out that the game came with a 3DS stand when it was first released. The 3DS is a handheld, something you're supposed to be able to play on the go, so if your handheld game has to be packaged with a stand, you might have a problem.

That said, if we do get a new Kid Icarus, it'll either be on the Switch or on next-gen hardware, so that gives Nintendo a chance to refine the controls for a new system. And if they did, there are some changes I'd like to see. For one, being able to take two weapons into a mission instead of one and having the option to switch between them on the fly. I would also like to see a dedicated melee button, instead of having your attack button switch to a melee attack when there's an enemy in front of you. That way, you have more freedom in your attack options during combat, such as switching from a staff to claws, or being able to stop in the middle of continuous fire to reflect a projectile with a melee attack.

But the thing I'd like to see most in a new Kid Icarus game would be a spinoff with Magnus as the main character. Chapters 18 and 22 did a lot of my headcanon of the Kid Icarus games, especially with the human characters. Either a prequel with Magnus and Gaol would be fine, or we could get something during or after the events of Uprising, but I think such a game would give us a human perspective of the Kid Icarus universe, and it's a chance to tell a darker story.

But if Nintendo does give us a Magnus spinoff, they'd better do something about Magnus' controls. How many of you tried Chapter 18 on anything higher than 7.0 Intensity and wound up hating it? Playing it in 9.0 is the absolute worst. No powers, you can barely dodge anything, and you're stuck carrying a club weapon that can't reflect enemy projectiles with no ranged attacks at all against enemies with too much health that barely stagger. So if we ever get a Magnus spinoff, or even just a playable Magnus in a new Kid Icarus game, he needs to be able to deflect projectiles with melee attacks and a ranged attack option. Maybe a wrist-mounted crossbow with a finite ammo count that forces you to conserve your ammo.

So those are my ideas that I'd be interested in for a new Kid Icarus game. What would everyone else like to see if Nintendo were to bring back these characters for a new game?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1