~The Decent Writers Club~ 1,674 members · 9,277 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7
EI Hear the Stars
It can be said that what Tempest’s old friends did was cruel. Contemplating everything, Tempest is left wondering if she’s really any better, and if it’s time to return home.
Whinifree · 7.9k words  ·  170  6 · 3.3k views

Many would say what Tempest's old foalhood friends did was unforgivable.

I disagree. There is very little that children can do that is unforgivable. Once you start contemplating withholding forgiveness to children, you lose my interest. Your core conceit is foreign to me, and I nope out from the get-go.

Was what Tempest did as an adult worse than some kids being unkind? Duh. I'd also like to mention that the sky is blue. Profound, right?

Were I, as a small child, to revoke my friendship from a friend because they blew their hand off in an accident and was unable to play baseball with the other kids anymore, and I were to alienate them as a consequence, I would similarly find my own actions unforgivable in retrospect. I imagine that, as an adult, I would seek to make things right with that friend, and being uncertain of their response, would similarly be worried.

Is a child capable of doing unforgivable things? By some considerations, absolutely. If I let my petty hobby get in the way of someone who was hurt and in need of friends, I would consider this the case. Just because someone can forgive themselves for it, doesn't mean they ought to be forgiven by others. You're not thinking very macroscopically of all the awful things a child is capable of doing, nor do I think you're empathizing particularly well with what Tempest had to go through as a filly that utterly warped her reality.

Not that anyone is holding a gun to your head; your decision to invest or not invest in particular stories is absolutely at your discretion. I just feel your criticism is too granular, and so sought to provide a counterpoint. Your participation is elective, and I respect that. :pinkiesmile:

Was what Tempest didas an adultworse than some kids being unkind? Duh. I'd also like to mention that the sky is blue. Profound, right?

Did Tempest understand these things when she was working for the Storm King? No, she didn't. Hence why the thoughts are only just starting to occur to her now in her adult years. That remark about the sky is blue was completely out of line, commonly referred to as flaming, i.e not constructive.

You did have a valid point in your first paragraph, which is why I adjusted the description to use less heavy language, but the core concept of having a new lease on life and having mistakes from your old one nagging at you, and some outright coming back to bite you in the rear, remains the same.

Were I, as a small child, to revoke my friendship from a friend because they blew their hand off in an accident

You're already reading far too much into it. What happened in the movie is that the kids continued playing a game that young Fizzlepop couldn't. Kids do that. What we didn't see was before or after those games. Did other ponies try to maintain friendship with her or not? Did she attempt to maintain friendship, or did she mope because she couldn't play the game?

Even if the kids did "revoke friendship" for a petty reason, is that unforgiveable? No. No it is not. Unforgiveable means you can't make it right. You can't forgive them. You can't move past it. Unless the kid raped and murdered your grandma in front of you, I'm a little leery of ascribing "unforgiveable" to it. That you'd describe it that way in yourself doesn't make it the correct, default, nor majority position.

I disagree that it is the majority. "Many" would not see it that way.

That remark about the sky is blue was completely out of line, commonly referred to as flaming, i.e not constructive.

Not flaming, and it is constructive. "A thing which is so obvious it hardly warrents mention." The sky being blue is an example of such. That Tempest Shadow engaged in activities worse than the activities of some children is indeed so obvious it hardly warrants mention.

Granted, she likely did justify her actions to herself. It seems all she did was in pursuit of getting her horn fixed. I don't think she ever considered what she did all that right, but forgave herself for doing those things if they resulted in fixing her horn.

Tempest Shadow is a really shallow character. If you want to build her up into something more, that's fine. It might even be good writing. But comparing her "crimes" to those of the little children she grew up in reeks of pretention. It reeks of someone who has a very poor grasp on nuance or scope.

So no. I stand by my statement. The comparison you were trying to make attempted to paint the childrens' behavior as far worse than it was, so that the comparison between that and her adult crimes wasn't so blatant. Making the realization that she's worse profound. Sorry, that simply doesn't work. That her actions are worse than that of some children not being her friend and playing ball with her is simply so big a difference and obvious a thing that it hardly warrants mention.

By the way, the sky is blue.

6478406 Are you allowed to chose who your friends are? You are. Why are you trying to deny that right to the foals that used to be friends with Tempest Shadow? If you don't want to be friends with somepony, you can just stop being friends with them; why can't the foals be allowed to do the same?

I am not so certain in my vindication that I would prescribe such a view to the majority, but considering someone wrote a story on the sentiment, I don't think my sentiments are unfounded. :derpytongue2:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7