Human in Equestria 16,818 members · 16,972 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10

When the Reaper of Equestria suddenly quits and runs off on a tour of the multiverse for his first vacation since life began, the panicking gods of Equus ask for help from other pantheons. What they get is a spare soul from our realm. A grief counselor who, ironically, was hit by a runaway stolen hearse. Now, this counselor finds himself saddled with a grim responsibility, helping the souls of the dead pass on. However, This counselor is going to do things his way, and rarely wears the classic robe, in favor of a suit and vest, and his "Scythe" has taken the form of a cane.

A few worldbuilding notes: Most of the time, death happens naturally, and the soul passes without incident. A reaper is only called when the souls of the dead refuse to pass on. Occasionally though, the reaper does have to take the life of a mortal, but only in cases where they refuse to leave the mortal plane at their appointed time.

The robe gives a reaper their classic "Grim" appearance. However, the appearance of the robe is reflected by the wearer's desires. Meaning, it could technically be any article of clothing.

the "Scythe" is the reaper's weapon, should a soul prove violent. Should a soul be cut by the scythe, its almost guaranteed that the soul will be damned. The scythe is also the main mode of transportation for a reaper, allowing them to "Cut" open a portal wherever they need go.

The spirit realm in which a reaper resides is indifferent to time. The reaper could, if they wished, appear at the birth, mid life, and death of any being, in any order.

Interesting and rather unique from normal HiE stories, would love to see this made soon.

Id love to read it when it comes out.

i would love to see someone make this

A few worldbuilding notes: Most of the time, death happens naturally, and the soul passes without incident. A reaper is only called when the souls of the dead refuse to pass on.

Reminds me strangely of the Incarnations of Immortality series, of which you've probably never heard. In that series, Death (and a number of other things) is a position successively filled by a number of different humans throughout history. Souls have to be constantly produced and sorted into either heaven or hell to keep the universe functioning smoothly and provide the ontological inertia needed to keep the entirety of everything from dissolving back into primordial chaos. Death's job is to go out, pick up those souls who were too close to the middle of the spectrum for the natural soul-sorting process to push them where they belong, and give them his personal assessment.

It actually doesn't really matter where a soul ends up, so long as they end up somewhere, but when you've got to decide where a human soul is going to have to spend the rest of eternity, you really should be giving it your very best. That's where the protagonist of the first novel in the series comes in.

I know it, or knew it. I read the one about death, the sword of mars, and the one about the monk who became the devil. I also vaguely remember the gypsy man who became one of the fates, and the woman who took over for god

I remember a story where someone took deaths place after they he retired and had to help souls move on with one being a child that didn’t understand stand they died.

God I hope you're a good writer 'cause this sounds really interesting and probably the only one of its kind on this site.

It's quite an original idea, an interesting one. Sounds like it could potentially be very funny if one wants to write it that way; it can also be an adventure story, that's also fun; maybe a mixture of both. Whatever it is, I'd like to read it. :pinkiehappy:

The only story I can think of off the top of my head that has somewhat similar points in the story is Second Chances and the Cost of Life, but that's a dark one, yes, pretty dark. So I don't think one'll find lots of inspiration there, though you're welcome to try. Anyways, if you or anyone else decides to write this, good luck to you, and my best wishes; if you aren't going to write this, good luck in all your other endeavors nonetheless. :twilightsmile:

found like good story, I keep my eye for it

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10