Human in Equestria 16,818 members · 16,970 stories
Comments ( 86 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 86

So we've all seen Equestria being teleported to Earth and settling in the middle of the ocean (usually). But we have never seen the inverse apply, as in we've never seen a Human country (or town for that matter) sent to Equestria or anywhere else on their planet.

So what would be the long term affects from say a Western power (either as small as the UK or as large as the US) suddenly get shunted into a whole another world, both socially, politically, and economically?

By the way, ISOT stands for Island in the Sea of Time, used went an entire landmass is sent back in time with all of their technology and infrastructure.

3289136 Island in the Sea Of Time.....I feel like I have heard of this before.

My guess on how it would affect any nation would depend on mostly how the transition went. Was it a massive nationwide earthquake? Was there suddenly a flash then things were different? Was there an EMP? did our technology get damaged?

And it also depends on where we landed. Did we just get stuck on the coast of equestria? are we a new continent in the ocean?

there are a lot of factors that would affect what would happen.

Social/political side. : Martial law would have to be declared for the first few weeks. It would be the only way to deal with the chaos and riots that would be coming after such a change. Soldiers and police in the streets with nonlethal (or lethal if you have marauders running around) weapons to keep people from burning towns down and raping and pillaging.

But after things have calmed down we would return to normal.

Religious side: Some would see it as a blessing, we have been transported to a magical new world with cleaner air and fresher food.

Some would see it as punishment (I don't know how but you just know there will be crazies. :facehoof: )

Some wont care.

Econimic side: We will have to establish ourselves quickly as a manufacturing giant with our factories and machines in order to be able to be strong in this new world we have been suddenly tossed into and to make sure our money stays strong.
Might even have to make some dirty deals/ do some unsavory things for the greater good of our citizens and species.

And that's all I can think of at the moment. :eeyup:

EDIT: Might also depend on what time era we are looking at.

I have a couple basic ideas around that, but I feel like it would be a challenge to keep our economy, technology, and other things the way they are, mainly due to the massive change in the world and a lack in resources. Just like if Equestria would jump forward in some ways by landing on Earth, I feel like we'd fall back.

Island in the Sea of Time is a book by S.M Sterling (the guy who wrote the Draka series).

Were they land? It varies. An island nation such as Cuba would be about 90 miles off the Equestrian coast, a landlocked country such as Austria may end up in what use to be either an empty plain, somepony's farm, or dangerously close to a large city such as Manehatten.

I'd say it was a flash of light. Most tech that relies on satellite tech such as computers and cell phones won't work.

And by political, I also meant what the Princesses and other leaders would handle the situation.

During the first lets say six-eight months, rationing of all oil and ammunition, possible tourist panicking thinking that they're being held captive by the nation for no particular reason, and civilian airliners may crash land in either Human territory or foreign airspace. Naval groups and submarines will come along as well but may be lost for some time.

3289195 Well not all computers and cell phones would be down. Military and old land lines would work.

places like NORAD are designed to keep what's left of the nation and command structure going after a nuclear war with most of the nation destroyed. It should be relatively easy to bring it all back, especially if the infrastructure is still standing.

Political: I guess it depends on which season you are setting it in. Celestia and luna and such would treat it with respect and a humanitarian thing. Other nations, don't know since we know so little about them.

But once they start to see what we can do and how far our technology is then they might all start trying to be best buddies with us to ensure our tech is on their side.

We might also have to switch over quickly to Greener technologies like Solar and Wind power due to suddenly being cut off from the major oil producers, and (if its the US) have to dig into the Strategic Oil Reserve and do some oil rationing until we figure out our next move/ maybe the ponies use magic to help us generate electricity.

Also in order to bring our sattelites back up it would mean we would have to bring back the space shuttle. :yay:
(if the US is the one that is transported.)

EDIT: Human leaders would likely go for the First Contact protocols which I think exist as a (semi) joke in the UN. Idk I never bothered to look it up if we have any first contact stuff.

All active satellites that the nation have are teleported to their space programs storage, though it'll be hell to send back up. If it's the US, then NASA gets it's funding back and works around the clock (after the mandatory celebrating at Houston of course:pinkiehappy:).

Also on my mind is oil, the government is going to want to at least look for it before it commits to a green program, the question is how will they find it and what tech will they trade away in exchange for drilling rights?

Edit: As for the era? Up to anyone who answers. It could be British India, Tsarist Russia, East and West Germany, the Ottomans, the possibilities are endless. (But for the sake of this forum, let's stick with a Western country).

3289293 Well if Equestria hasn't tapped into their oil itl be like back in the day with these strange bubbling pits of black goo that the ponies don't have much use for.

My guess too is it will depend. If the human landmass is in the ocean then hey free ocean drilling. :yay:
no one owns the ocean, especially if we have ships to protect our waters.

If we are land locked then we must keep looking for fuel within our own lands and rationing what we have until we figure out a deal. We would probably trade medicines and cleaning stuffs first.

Never trade something today that might be used to kill you tomorrow. :eeyup:

Especially if your buyers still use swords.

Assuming I turn this into a fic, I already have the first week of US ISOT planned out and could use your assistance (if its ok with you).

United States ISOTed:
--The Facts--
Date of ISOT: 1/15/2014
Event before ISOT: Large flash of light
Military Forces: All Army, Marine, Air Force, Naval, National Guard, and Coast Guard units and weaponry teleported back to Home soil. Total Count: 2,220,412 combined active and reserved.
Total Population: 317 Million plus Tourist & Undocumented (approx 50,000 combined).
Territories Included: Yes. Alaska, Hawaii, and Puerto Rico come along for the ride.
Leader: Barack Obama.
Country Position: Island. Nearest land mass approx 90-120 miles away.
Time until ISOT was noticed: Approx 1 week. States near the Canadian and Mexican border report that those countries were "replaced" by nothing but vast ocean.
Space Program: All active satellites found in storage unit outside of Houston, Texas.

--January: Month One--

January 15: Large flash of light reported in the sky at 1:30 AM. All civilian and military flight suspended until further notice, stranding thousands.
January 16: Civilian cell phone and internet service are down country wide. Electricity still operational and local government promises to fix the services as fast as possible.
January 19: Washington state, Maine, and Texas report of their border with Canada and Mexico respectively being replaced by nothing but ocean.
January 20: California, Arizona, and Montana also report their foreign borders replaced by ocean. Obama demands an immediate investigation lead by the Department of Homeland Security.
January 22: US Navy assets overseas start making contact with the US. None have any idea what is going on and make their way back home for further orders. All arrive back by the end of the month.

Thoughts?

I also moonlight as a proofreader when I have the time. :eeyup:

I think the separated places like Hawaii, Puerto Rico and Alaska should be like..archipelagos is it called? :rainbowhuh: A combo of islands.

But Alaska might have to be closer to the Northern or Southern pole and require ship travel there.

Other Thoughts: If ponies or other races have ships that travel by water they might be the first to see the humans. If its those Airships we have seen once or twice then the Airforce patrols would be the first to see...I think

Also wouldn't it be *Week one after ISoT event* ?

3289533 As a lifelong Alaskan, I can say we would enjoy being an island. Hopefully nearer to the tropics though, as -65f winters does get a bit boring. :rainbowlaugh:

One thing I would recommend would be to create a new President for the story. Just to simplify things and keep commenting of a political sort to a minimum. That is a good way to keep the story from getting derailed fast.

Other thing I'd recommend would be to make sure you get the military and their gear (if present in the story) at least mostly accurate. That gets nitpicked to hell as well.

I haven't given much thought towards the position of the islands. Though I am not sure about Alaska being so far from US mainland. Also, where can I find info on current positions of US Naval assets. It'll help when they start arriving back home.

The US and territories are in fairly uncharted territory and is not even considered a merchant route so no contact as of now. That will change of course.

I was going to document the rest of January but I decided to do one week first so I could easily fix a mess up if need be.

3289580 3289502 Yes that would be good. Alittle bit of Alternate Universe and Accuracy never hurt. :ajsmug:

Perhaps the problem was even first noticed at the particle collider facility?

Also new thought. Wouldn't the stars be all different if we went to a new world? :rainbowhuh:

I think NASA and amateur astronomers would see that.

3289587 eeehhh id shy away from that. :rainbowlaugh:

Don't want the NSA tagging you for looking things up.

3289587 You aren't going to find anything on current dispositions of naval assets besides what might be in dock at the moment. That is usually classified and all that.

3289592 Everyone blames CERN :rainbowlaugh: I don't think I've seen someone blame HAARP in a story though. It is a series of radios outside of Tok, Alaska. (Pronounced like Toke, not tok btw) High Amplitude Auraral Research Platform, but in theory can do all sorts of fun stuff.

Pretty much anyone would see the new stars though. Not to mention that any aircraft that are up are going to have severe problems when navsats disappear and backup instruments go crazy. Depending on the orientation of the planets poles, it could completely destroy our way of AC power generation. So many things the author could run with.

Trust me, inaccurate military gear is one hell of a peeve of mine. So no absolute Artistic License here. Plus, I'm a little apprehensive of using a fictional leader, since the goal I would have here is to keep it as close to RL as I could (I was even thinking of having a certain group of Humans rejoicing at the thought of Ponies being reported :ajsmug:.)

I know nothing about stars. I should add a mention in a revised timeline.

Thanks for the tip, shall be added to revised time line.

3289620 Fair enough, just wanted to let you know to expect backlash about it. Took a lot to not comment about the current dumbass bowing to Sunbutt. :rainbowlaugh:

Oh, there I go :trollestia:

3289627 3289620 See this is why we cant have real world politics in nice stories. :rainbowlaugh:

Better just to avoid it and go full neutral on politics and religion and other shaky things. Because it will distract from your awesome story. :pinkiehappy:

3289682 That was my thought. Politics and religion are a distraction from the premise of the story. Case in point was that promormon, anti gay story that ended up with a couple hundred thumbs down in the space of an afternoon.

The world being created should be allowed to stand on its own so it isn't torn down by biases.

3289722 Mondas will rise again. :pinkiehappy:

Holy crap, its been forever since I've seen old school Cybermen. :rainbowlaugh: Thanks for the trip down memory lane :twilightsmile:

January V.2
--January: Month One--

January 15:
* Large flash of light reported in the sky at 1:30 AM. All civilian and military flight suspended until further notice, stranding thousands at airports across the country.
* Astronomers all over ranging from the amateurs to those at NASA report a massive change in the positions of the stars. Study into this begins almost immediately.
* Cities with sight of either the Mexican or Canadian border report the disappearance of those countries and nothing but vast ocean.
* Civilian and Military aircraft navsats backup instruments stop working. (A/N: Casualties? If so, how many?)
* A/N: Should panic ensue of wait a little?
January 16: Civilian cell phone and internet service are down country wide. Electricity still operational and local government promises to fix the services as fast as possible.
January 19: A/N: New event needed. Obsolete by third January 15 bullet point.
January 20: Obama demands an immediate investigation of the disappearances of Canada and Mexico lead by the Department of Homeland Security.
January 22: US Navy assets overseas start making contact with the US. None have any idea what is going on and make their way back home for further orders. All arrive back by the end of the month.
January 25: DHS investigation confirms that Canada and Mexico are "Gone. Just gone. Like they were never there." Only those in the Obama Administration are made aware of this report. Meetings take place to see just how they break something like this to the public.
January 26: Local news from border cities report of disappearances. Obama orders all news feed from those cities be cut to prevent panic. Small panic still ensues in the cities that saw the news.
January 28:
* Reality sets in for Obama and Co. They aren't in North America anymore. Plans are made to send a US Navy (carrier?) group to scout and see if there is anyone (or anything) is out there? Obama also plans to a dress the nation of the situation.
* A/N: What ships should be part of the group?
January 29:
* Obama addresses America with what becomes known as the "We Aren't in Kansas Anymore" speech. The nation reacts in rioting, looting, and panicking. Police forces are overwhelmed and Martial Law is enacted. The chaos takes the lives of approx 450 people.
* A/N: I'll definitely have to write that. Guess I better watch one of his speeches and get a feel for it.
* A/N: As for the chaos. I imagine Extremist/Cultist trying to establish their own enclaves.
January 30: USN Naval group makes final preparations for voyage.
January 31: USN Naval group leaves from (suitable location?)

Thoughts?

3289847 Panic likely wont happen to most civilians until they have their morning coffee.

-Jan 19: Emergency meeting of Joint Chiefs of Staff approve the recalling of all off duty military personnel immediately, even those who finished their tours of duty so long as they are still capable of doing their jobs and fit within new standards. (basically needing as many men in uniform as possible to maintain order.)

-January 31st: Maybe Hawaii? and maybe they decide to start fixing up the USS Missouri to have an extra heavy weight ship hanging by just in case?

-For the extremists and cultists there are real life cases. I cant remember them, as for how the government responds. *shrugs* don't know its hard to say what would be done in such a situation.
But if they open fire it is fair game for the feds to fire back and they would likely be treated as insurgents.

While it would make an interesting in universe point of research, it won't be looked into for awhile as I imagine as the US sees bigger fish to fry at the moment (plus I can only draw a blank at geology.)

Panic the next day? Got it.
Jan 19 event shall be added. How would the reserves be made aware?
Fleet shall take off from Joint Base Pearl Harbor-Hickam.

Wow that his quite the handful to say the least. I could see the casualties, the panic, the collapse of infrastructure, but a civil war? Didn't even think of that and shall be considered in January V.3 though I may have to consider small liberties not (quite sure of what but at the same time, it sure won't be an extinction event).

3289847 Honestly, you are underestimating a lot of things. Airborne casualties would easily be several thousand, and if people see what happens when everything disappears there would be rioting within hours. Look at the big cities when the power goes out. 6-8 hours in and the chaos has already started. The info will travel with and without phones and internet. You'd (realistically) be looking at the body count in the 100k range or so, if not upping to a couple million.

DHS wouldn't be the agency to try to figure that out. DoD, CIA, and the other alphabet soup guys are on the ball for that with DoD lead. Potential imminent threat/terrorist actions against the country. Not to mention that DHS couldn't find a red ball in a kiddie ball pit at Chuck E Cheese.

Overseas assets teleporting in their positions would be bad. What happens when a nuclear sub lands on Ponyville, or more realistically is entombed below ponyville under 500' of stone and dirt. Not to mention, they have no idea of position, so how would they navigate to return, let alone skirt unknown land masses, etc.

Martial law would be the spark that does it, and you have Civil War 2. Alaska wouldn't mind being it's own country, as well as Texas and probably a dozen others as people question the .gov that was obviously incompetent enough to not protect the entire country from whatever this attack was.

A carrier group is a massive assortment of ships btw. Usually a carrier, a couple guided missile frigates, a destroyer or two, resupply ships, and a few attack subs.

3289904 Damn we might be a wasteland by the time the Equestrians find us. :pinkiesad2:

3289918 Honestly, that is the probable outcome given the events given by the Author. I'm not trying to be a dick about it, I'm just trying to explain the outside events. No food or oil imports, hell unless the terrain under the US teleported with, no shale oil deposits, ANWR, etc either.

The ponies will probably find a bloody wasteland in the majority of urban areas that spreads out toward the more rural sections of the country as people flee the conflict.

The funny thing is that the majority of the high tech weapons will be useless. Drones, nuclear and GPS guided weapons, etc until a new constellation could be put up. Several years at least, so a reduction to vietnam era tech in terms of accuracy and guidance. Compass guidance could be brought back up with a calibration, but that still leaves a lack of mapping, etc.

3289935 Guess that means the locals would have to meet us rather soon before we all kill ourselves.

That or a miracle happens and we keep our heads. :duck:

Or the insurrection is located to a few cities which become safe havens for rebels and leads to things later on in the story.

:pinkiegasp: Imagine if it created a terrorist enclave and in response we created an interspecies team, like Rainbow Six.

I think I fangasmed so hard my heart stopped for a second. :yay:

3289940 My hope would be Sunbutt realizing something is wrong and making contact. That said, I expect a dissected pony fairly quick after that.

As for keeping our cool, the folks in the city love to riot and cause chaos so I doubt that will ever happen. :rainbowlaugh:

Now it it was just Alaska... well, we'd probably get fried for killing and eating the ponies until we figured they were smart. :rainbowlaugh:

3289947 What about the whole Insurection happening but being just several cities that rebel and are sealed off for a while until popping up later to cause problems?

3289966 Could work, but it is damn near impossible to seal off a city. Waterways, underground tunnels, etc. People are stubborn and will find a way.

Don't worry, I understand you are trying to help and I truly appreciate it. Though Im going to try with the resources.

Food: Rationing along with urban farming. Dunno about factories but the workers are likely screwed either way.
Oil: No imports obviously. Rationing, research as to whether oil fields are still were they were before, and I see tapping into the Strategic Oil Reserve very likely. As for Equestrian oil, not sure if the US will find either untouched sources or an equivalent that may work just as well.
Terrain: Same as before.
High Tech Weapons: Mothballed, mothballed, mothballed and will be that way for the foreseeable future.

Insurrection cities? That should work but the question is just who rebels? As for Ponies witnessing violence, don't worry they don't live in a peaceful sugarbowl. It won't be a hellhole but it's sure as hell ain't squeaky clean.

:pinkiegasp: I just had an idea on how first contact could happen.

Perhaps we send up a plane to go scout out some nearby patch of land, not knowing one of the princesses is up searching for our newly arrived continent. And like in that scene from Independence day the pilot(s) fly through a cloud, only to see a flying unicorn just seconds away from slamming into their canopy glass.

"Pull up! Pull the fuck up!" the copilot shouts and they manage to turn the plane, but slam into the shield the princess brought up, ripping the plane in half.

What happens next is up to the writer. :eeyup:

3289972 Probably like 15 years while we go back to Vietnam and pre gulf war tech/modified gulf war tech.

Time to knock on abunch of old vets homes and ask how to make things work. :rainbowlaugh:

Though I don't think every single piece would go into storage. Some of it must be able to still work. Question is just what pieces?

3289972 Rebels would be a mix of people who have actual problems with the government cutting short their foods/ forcing troopers into the streets and the crazies who think there are nanobots in the water and that this is all an illuminati plot. :pinkiecrazy:

they could also be Al Quaeda members who were in the country when the event happened and some foreign tourists who aren't happy being stuck in a country that is now on another world.

Probably the way they would avoid a massive insuraction all throughout the country would be by not taking away the ammendments or at least being careful.

uhhh idk. Im not a politician. :derpytongue2:

Comment posted by Sneaky Breeze deleted May 18th, 2014

3289972 Would be nice to see Mighty Mo get pulled out of mothballs though. No better application of old school American show of force than that.

3290021 Here she comes to save the day! Mighty Mo is on the way! :yay:

3290025 Now that I think about it, the new Gauss gun (rail canon) they are starting to mount on the Arleigh Burke destroyers might be useful on 'Mo. Could hold thousands on thousands of shots in the magazine without risk of explosion.

*drools*

Comment posted by Sneaky Breeze deleted May 18th, 2014

3290028 I wonder if we are overthinking this now. :rainbowderp:

3290039 I always overthink things, it is part of my charm with teh wommenz :rainbowlaugh:

3290041 Some of the things we have gone over would be best for later on in the story I think. :ajsmug:

3290047 But if this story is indeed written then a good portion of it has already been planned out and set up. :pinkiehappy:

In a whole new world, there is no such thing as overthinking.

Gear will be pulled out of the mothballs though it may be restricted to WWII ships and propeller planes {though in the plane's case, many just may come from private collectors). Overseas naval assets won't be teleported in their positions, but will end up at the port they left from, which could cause a whole new chain of problems.

3290057 Waves, damages to the ships (which could explain why they have to be put away for a while.)
Crew and port crew injuries.

Though I think it would be cool if it was a mish mash of technology. B25s with B52s an AC130s.

:rainbowlaugh: This is madness!

3290057 Jet aircraft will still work fine. The problem is having accurate enough maps and compass directions to be able to navigate.

Basically they'd have to either order a guy on a suicide flight to find land or wait and try to launch a new navsat or spysat to map the planet.

Either way, you would be several thousand words in before there would be any realistic interactions with the ponies and make it submittable unless you have Sunbutt "feeling a disturbance in the force"

1. The plot (heh-heh): I'm still working out the timeline to work off of, so I have a decent path to follow.
2. First Contact: I was considering either the Independence Day reference suggested by Sneaky or have the Naval group find land and figure out what to do from their.
3 Time Frame: First contact might not come until April, June, or July I think.
4. The Title: Unrelated, but I was thinking of In the Sea of Equus.

3290094 Sounds good. That said, in all honesty that title is a little bland and wordy. Seas of Inequity perhaps?

3290094 :rainbowkiss: Ive got Goosebumps already.

EDIT: I personally like In the Sea of Equus but that's just me.

In the Sea of Equus may or may not just stay as a working title no idea as of now.
Other Ideas:
1. Harmony & Democracy: A USA ISOT
2. A Whole New World
3. Not in North America Anymore

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 86