The Marvel/DC Co-Fan Club 717 members · 561 stories
Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15

The Golden Age. What a wondrous time. It was during this time that the world was introduced to something that would change media forever. And it all started with three sentences.

"Faster than a speeding bullet! More powerful than a locomotive! Able to leap tall buildings in a single bound!"

These were the words used to describe the FIRST superhero. Everything in superhero comics that was, is, and will be must all be attributed to Superman or should I say Kal-L? Yes the first Superman, the GOLDEN AGE Superman. Everything that is Superman, from Krypton to Metropolis, it all started with Kal-L.

From Superman came other costumed adventurers, other "superheroes" as they were called, that were created by DC Comics. The Batman, Wonder Woman, Green Lantern, The Flash, Aquaman, Hawkman, Plastic Man, the list goes on!

Soon other companies created their own heroes. For Timely Comics, their first superhero was Namor the Sub-Mariner, then Captain America and his sidekick Bucky Barnes, The Destroyer, the Whizzer, Miss America, and Nick Fury and the Howling Commandos.

However as time went on and people began buying less and less superhero comics, mainly due to outside forces claiming them to cause violent streaks in children, the Golden Age ended.

However, soon enough the Silver Age of Comics was to begin! Timely Comics had become Marvel Comics, published their first superhero book in years, The Fantastic Four! From there DC Comics, began to revamp their old Golden Age titles. They created a new Green Lantern, a new Flash, even a new Superman!

However there was a problem. DC had been publishing Superman nonstop even during the times between the Golden and Silver Ages. This would mean that they still had to deal with Kal-L who was to be replaced with Kal-El the modern Superman. The solution? An alternate universe. DC Comics created the idea of a multiverse and placed all their Golden Age heroes on Earth Two while all of their modern Silver Age heroes would be on Earth One. This meant they could still publish their Golden Age characters and titles like the Justice Society of America without it breaking any kind of continuity with their Earth One titles.

However Marvel had not forgotten about the characters from their Timely Comics days. No sir! In fact, they made it so that all of their Golden Age tales did indeed happen in their new Marvel universe. Namor was still well and kicking and Captain America himself was found frozen in the arctic. In fact it was because of Namor he was found! Since Captain America's thawing, countless characters from Marvel's Golden Age have returned! Nick Fury became the head of the spy organization SHIELD, Captain America became leader of the Avengers, Namor becoming an infrequent Fantastic Four villain/ally, the original Human Torch making his come back, and so many more!

But what of DC? Well after many years the Earth Two universe and Earth One universes merged, with DC now having an entire history of heroes spanning decades into the past! All seemed well with this situation! The newer heroes still existed and had the older heroes could act as mentors to the younger generation of crime fighters!

And then Dan Didio destroyed all that. The End. :ajbemused:

2245095:rainbowhuh: okay then. That was.... informative?

Avenging-Hobbits
Group Admin

2245095 this post can be a sticky thread:ajsmug:

Jabberwocky1996
Group Admin

2245095 DAMN IT, DAN DIDO

To hell with you Didio! With a Conan the Barbarian accent! To hell with you!

MARVEL has done it's fair share of screw ups (ex: a certain Spider-Man arc that shall forever remain nameless because it doesn't exist PS: Yes I know what it's called I just hate it so much that I want to pretend it never existed and just thinking of the name sends me into a blind fury)

And then Dan Didio destroyed all that. The End. :ajbemused:
So does this rate above or below One More Day in terms of "WHY did you do this again?"

There is a story on this site where Twilight is set to become the golden age green lantern. I can't remember the name, though.

Compared to THAT abomination New 52 is a masterpiece

2245095 I have an idea for a Golden Age Superman reboot fic, but I can't find a good site to write it on.

4818307 Been there. Tried that. It's annoying.

I'm restricted to only a phone. Fanfiction.net is set up more for if you're in a computer.

4818336 Have you tried Archive of Our Own?

Personally I would like to see MARVEL and DC start doing origins for their Universes and what I mean is show the events that lead to the Golden Age of Superheroes in both Universes

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15