The Mailbox (and related stories) 207 members · 2 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12
bookplayer
Group Admin

Please leave any comments in the Comments thread. Comments posted here will be deleted.Thank you.

Steel Resolve
Group Admin

July 9th
Dearest Rainbow Dash,

I know exactly how you feel. When I signed on for this little fiasco they call a play I did so under the title "Costume Designer." Upon arriving I find said designs have already been placed on patterns and it is my job to essentially play seamstress to these cretins. I will not stand for this, and neither should you. I am going to buck some doors in and explain what my talents are worth to them, and you should shake the foundations of that city starting with their foals.

I have faith in you, darling! Wish me luck!

Sincerely yours,
Rarity.

Steel Resolve
Group Admin

Aug 5th

Dearest Rainbow Dash,

Manners, Darling, I responded when I received it I assure you. The mailponies here are just fine when they are not suffering from a huge backlog due to managerial incompetence. Oh, and it does help when they are not actively on strike. With any luck this one will have reached you much quicker as the duties have been shifted around to better suit individual talents (can you believe they had the racing talents in the mailroom to sort quicker and the organizational talents delivering to ensure they got to the right places?)

Well, my goodness, Applejack and Twilight? To each their own, but I am glad to hear my friends are happy. I don't quite know what to say about the Wonderbolts... well, I suppose if you have a new dream that's what's important.

The theater... well, that is a tale. As I had written to you I confronted the producer and director and told them flat out I refused to work under the conditions I was in. I am a designer, not a seamstress, and I will not come all the way to Baltimare to sew by somepony else's designs. This... was overheard by the cast, each of which walked out as well, declaring their talents were being misused. The mass walkout of the theater was observed by the workers in the mail service office, who in turn went on strike. This was followed by all of the other government offices, until eventually most of the city was on strike for one reason or another.

That whole mess took many many weeks to straighten out finally. During that time a number of things happened. Our director skipped town in the confusion, making off with what meager profits the play had made prior to the strike. I managed to convince the theater workers to come back, having gotten the producer's okay to straighten out the issues with misapplied talents. This resulted in my being named the director of the play. By simply putting the right ponies in the right places the show has become far more successful than it ever was.

As for Ponyville... I'm not entirely certain I am coming back, Rainbow. I... well prior to writing you I sent off a letter to Fluttershy. I could tell you I was quite drunk, and lonely, and more than a little down, but what matters is the result. I don't remember all of it, but I am fairly certain I invited her over for wine and some friendly experimentation. I have not heard word one since, I'm not even sure if the letters made it through. I sent an apology the next day, and another a week after... nothing. So... I may just live here now. Or maybe Stalliongrad. I'm not sure yet. To think, I warned her about those stallions in that quaint little town. Be a dear and... when you get back to Ponyville, give her my everlasting regret for being a terrible friend.

Sincerely yours,

Rarity

Steel Resolve
Group Admin

Aug 9th

Dearest Rainbow Dash,

It took me a full day, and half a bottle of this turpentine they call alcohol, but I did it. The ball is in her court, I believe is the expression.

Oh, Rainbow, what have I done? She's too innocent to even understand how I feel about her, much less reciprocate! I couldn't have fallen for Berry Punch (who by all accounts is quite open when you get her a little tipsy) or somepony like Pinkie who wears her heart on her foreleg. No I had to pick the adorably naive shy pony who has likely never even considered what being in love is like much less lusting over somepony and Celestia would it be cute to see her in lust! Can you imagine her attempts to flirt? I've seen it, Rainbow, it's as heartmelting as it is ineffective... on stallions at least. It worked just fine on me and what am I saying she is my dear friend I need to stop thinking like that!

Stupid sexy Fluttershy. Why couldn't you have been born a colt? I would have trotted you off to my shop ages ago. I've been hard pressed to avoid that even despite her inconvenient insistence on being a mare. Did you know there is a huge catalog made just for that very problem? So many choices Rainbow.

I'm going to finish this bottle, and then I am going to bed. I wonder how much one has to consume to induce a blackout.

Sincerely Rarity,

yours

Steel Resolve
Group Admin

August 13th

Dearest Rainbow Dash,

She wrote back! Not only did she forgive me but she feels the same! Oh my stars, Rainbow you were right! I just cannot believe... she said she wanted to come over for wine but I told her if we are going to date we are doing it right. The um... other things can come later, when she is ready. Fluttershy is such a sweet mare, she mustn't be rushed.

Oh, I wonder if I should write to my parents? Sweetie will need to know, horribly awkward to have her rush in during an intimate moment. I wonder should we move in together? Hmmmm, maybe not. That rabbit gives me the stink eye every time I see him. I'm just so very thrilled she said yes!

Maybe I should mail Pinkie next, we can all have a party to celebrate. Oh... I can't wait to see her now... Should I make arrangements to travel there perhaps? I wonder if its cold there... no, it's summer, it should be pleasant if a bit cooler... so many things to consider.

I don't know what to do, do you think I should go to her?

Sincerely yours,

Rarity

Steel Resolve
Group Admin

August 19th

Dearest Rainbow Dash,

Enclosed find 100 bits, I trust that will help. My love life may be in turmoil but my professional life goes well. The show is sold out and has been for weeks now. If this keeps up perhaps this little troop will go to Manehatten next, even Canterlot.

You should consider laying down the bottle, Rainbow. I threw all of that swill out, and I feel clearer headed for it. You might find it makes you less inclined to making foals cry.

The trouble I am having now is... being of sounder mind makes me think more with my head than my heart. You mentioned in your letter that you had never seen our Fluttershy show an interest in mares. At first, this did not concern me. So long as I have known her Fluttershy has never shown any interest in ponies whatsoever, at least in a romantic sense.

That's what concerns me now... for her to just knowingly agree to what I asked of her, without being horrified by the crass way I asked... it strikes me as very probable that she was just saying what I was hoping to hear.

I dearly hope I am wrong. I could be misreading things, perhaps she is frightened, unsure what to do. I want to be wrong, because I want this to work... but if she is just humoring me only to break my heart later I would just die!

I just... I wanted to... I don't know anymore. This was so much easier when she just confused me. I could live with that, it was simple. Now I have to question if she's lying to me or if she really does want to try this with me and oh Celestia why was she not born male? I don't like being confused, I just wanted to date somepony who I actually loved. Is that so much? Am I allowed to be happy?

Well, Doctor Dash? Am I overreacting? No, I think the better question is... am I wrong?

Yours truly,

Rarity

P.S. Mail me again if you run short on bits.

Steel Resolve
Group Admin

Sep 1st

Dearest Rainbow Dash,

That’s quite all right, darling. We all get busy. I am glad to here you are doing well. As for me... I will be returning shortly. I look forward to getting back to my shop, this whole play business has been nice, but it’s not for me.

I’m afraid I don’t know what you mean, darling. While I don’t mind going drinking with you, there is no "business with Fluttershy", and there never has been.

She is my friend, and will always be. That is all she ever need be to me. It’s enough.

I expect to be very busy for quite a while, the fall line needs to be designed. But I am sure I can make some time for a friend. Oh, but I invited Pinkie Pie out as well, so it will have to be a threesome. Pinkie really needs to be educated about the kind of shots that don’t hurt until the morning. Can you imagine what she will be like drunk?

See you in Ponyville, Darling.

Sincerely yours,

Rarity

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12