Mormon Bronies 109 members · 233 stories
Comments ( 18 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 18
Legion222
Group Admin

Have any questions about this group or anything related to it? This is the thread for you. Just post your question as a reply to this comment, and I'll do my best to answer it.

Just to clarify an important point:
Leave your question as a reply to this comment. Otherwise, it might never be seen, and wouldn't that be sad? :fluttercry:

2541752 Hey Legion. I tried to post a thread and an error popped up saying, "Stop there, criminal scum!". Do you know what's up? It did this before, and I assumed it was just having issues. Am I missing something?
Many thanks, BBOFF

Legion222
Group Admin

My best guess (and I honestly have no idea) is that the forums might be set to only allow Contributors and Admins to post new ones. As it is, I don't know how to check if that is the case, or how to change it if it is. I'll look into it, and get back to you if I find something.

Write on,
Legion

Snowy_Fenrir
Group Admin

Is it natural for someone to feel nervous after submitting their first story?

Legion222
Group Admin

Yes. Yes it is.

Write on,
Legion

2541752 I just tried to add a story I wrote that got approved a few minutes ago to this group, and it gave me an error claiming my story doesn't exist (or something like that). Why did that happen, and what can I do about it?

Legion222
Group Admin

If you can give me a link to the story, I'll see if I can figure it out. It might just be that the story was approved so recently that the site hasn't recognized it, or something. I doubt that, but try it again in an hour or so just to be sure.

Write on,
Legion

2807289 I just manged to add it. It turns out that the site didn't register its existence at the time.

Legion222
Group Admin

All's well that ends well, I suppose.

Write on,
Legion

Question: Are these stories that tickle our fancies or are they stories that have been put here because they were written by us LDS?

Legion222
Group Admin

It's mostly for members' works, but I don't think anyone'd be mad if you added someone else's story, so long as it conforms to the group's rules (basically, no NSFW stuff).

Write on,
Legion

Eh, I think I'll add my own to the collection.

2541752 I have a question that I would like to put to rest. In some passages of the scriptures, there have been many testimonies by the Prophet(s) that God has ordered the slaughter of many men and women, whom have been wicked and murmured against the Lord.

For example; in one passage I am very vague on and I can't remember the page, what I remember was a group of people traveling through a forest in search of the promised land. However, among them were wicked and murmur against the Lord. I think I recall in that testimony that the Holy Spirit has prompted the slaughter of the wicked. Then the following night, the followers of the Lord went into their tents, where the wicked lie in rest, and slit their throats in their slumber. I maybe wrong in my memory, but here's where my question comes in.

I love my Lord, my Savior, and my Holy Spirit. Then the text in the scriptures have described the slaughter of the wickedness. My question is, was slaughter really a necessity? Was killing people who tested against God the only option that was available? Was killing the wicked sometimes the only righteous path in the Prophet's quest to bring the message of the Savior's inevitable arrival to earth so that our Savior could sacrifice his body for our sins? (Sorry that this question isn't related to the group, but I just want to put it to rest. It's OK if you can't answer it.)

Legion222
Group Admin

I see what you're saying, and yes, that's quite a difficult idea to grasp; that the Lord would command His people to break one of His own commandments: "Thou shalt not kill." I'll do my best to explain what I know, and I hope it helps you.

I'm not quite sure where the scriptures you're talking about are, so for a first example I'll go to the book of Exodus in the Old Testament, when the Prophet Moses was leading the children of Isreal out of Egypt and to the Promised Land. There were several times throughout that forty-year journey when the Lord decided that it was for the best to remove a group of the more wicked men from among them, though I can't recall a time off the top of my head where the righteous themselves were told to kill the wicked among them other than the golden calf incident; for the most part, the Lord did it himself via sudden fissures, flocks of flesh-eating birds, and the like. Of course, once they got to the Promised Land is a whole different story, but I'll get to that in a moment.

Now, I don't pretend to have a perfect understanding of the thoughts or the plans of the Lord myself, but it seems to me that killing the wicked, whether by the Lord's own hand or by the hands of the righteous, was at times the only option. They were an isolated group in the middle of a desolate wilderness; any contention or murmuring among them could result in many, many more being led astray, to the point that they might never have been allowed to reach the Promised Land at all, and instead perished in unbelief (remember that the whole reason they wandered for forty years instead of going straight there was that the people didn't have faith). The Lord couldn't allow that to happen to His chosen people, and since these wicked people refused to repent and acknowledge the Lord or even any of his numerous miracles, the only choice was to simply remove them.

It's for a similar reason that the Lord commanded His people to slaughter the people who were inhabiting the Promised Land when they got there. You don't have to look too hard through the Old Testament to find a time when the people of the other nations led Isrealites away to worship other gods. Beyond that, the Isrealites needed a place for themselves to live. It's not like there was a plot of choice land just sitting there with a big sign that said "Reserved for Tribes of Isreal. Do not settle." It's not the only time battles have been fought for a righteous cause.

Another choice example is in the Book of Mormon, 1 Nephi 4: 7-18. Here, Nephi is commanded to kill Laban, one of the chief priests. Nephi was reluctant; like you, he was confused at the Lord commanding him to kill. In verse 13, the Spirit gives this reply: "Behold the Lord slayeth the wicked to bring forth his righteous purposes. It is better that one man should perish than that a nation should dwindle and perish in unbelief." Killing Laban would then allow Nephi to disguise himself and retrieve the brass plates on which were written the Law of Moses and a good amount of geneology, among other things. If not for Laban's death, Nephi knew that his posterity would have to live without the written word of God, and that they would quickly lose their way.

It's never easy to realize that righteous men might be asked to kill, but when the Lord commands us to do something, it's always for a good reason. We just have to trust Him to lead us the right way.

I hope this helps you with your questions.

Write on,
Legion

4108512 While I'm still puzzled, I do have a better grasp at it now. Thank you for replying.

I do love my Lord, my Savior, and my Holy Spirit. There were times when the Lord has commanded that were questionable in the Scriptures. But the Commandment, "Thou shalt not kill" means we should not kill out of hatred or selfishness. For killing is only exceptional when the one that chooses to break it will have to be killed, or commanded otherwise. I do trust the Lord, and I do trust his knowledge and wisdom.

My faith shall not be strayed, my loyalty shall not be broken, and anyone who chooses to ignore the Lord will answer to him when their time comes. They question my faith, but my loyalty is gifted with ignorance. I'm really happy that the Church of Jesus Christ Of Latter Day Saints will continue to thrive and grow, to continue spreading the joy and blessings that the Lord promises. I believe there is no better deal from the Lord. "If you choose to follow the Commandments, I will bless you and your loved ones with peace, happiness and comfort." I know it sounds odd, coming from someone who doesn't know God. But I truly do believe that he values his Children above all else. I know it was difficult for our Lord to follow the right, even when it becomes a necessity for him to shut them out in order to preserve peace in the Celestial kingdom. Because he is our father who loves his children.

I feel so blessed that he is always willing to give a chance to repent, even when we do wrong. I cannot describe how blessed I am to have a family to love, friends to care, and a church that I know it's true, even though I cannot describe it.

Hi, I only discovered this group recently.
Based on this thread, it looks like I can potentially add all of my stories to the group (I don't write anything beyond Teen). Are there any objections to that? I mean, I don't want to bombard you with 21 stories if that's just going to cause headaches. I can piecemeal stuff in over a few weeks if that helps. I only want to add them if they'll be of interest to someone here.

Legion222
Group Admin

First off, welcome to the group! :twilightsmile:

There shouldn't be any problem with that. Whether you want to add them all at once or spead them out over a couple of days is up to you, but we welcome all stories as long as they don't break our NSFW rule. Happy posting!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 18