Fancypants 68 members · 123 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

What do you think Fancypants's backstory would be like?
Do you see him born into the aristocracy but taught to be honourable and chivalrous?
And who taught him?
Or do you see him a self-made stallion who rose to the top through means of his own?
And what means would those be?
What would be your interpretation?

I always saw Fancy Pants as somepony who was a lot more similar to Rarity's upbringing. Probably a smallish town with big dreams to be part of the fashion world. In my mind his parents probably owned a fabric store and sold into the high fashion ponies of Canterlot to which he was frequently the delivery boy and got interested in fashion that way. I can see him making a mock store of his own at the outskirts of Canterlot until he finds enough of an audience to go bigger and bigger throughout his life, probably making a hooffull of connections along the way.

Oooh boy, I had a history of Fancy Pants from a failed story. Let me see if I can remember it right...

Fancy Pants was a fake name, he came from a small town and his talent was that he was able to recognize the talent of others. His Cutie Mark is a triple crown, so his talent is recognizing those one-of-a-kind gifted ponies. He moved to Canterlot and made a lot of money by promoting and supporting talented ponies before their big breaks, because he could see their potential.

However, getting connections with high society requires an 'in'. Just having money won't do it for you, you need a hoof in the door. So, the rich bachelor decided that a marriage of convenience with an exuberant party girl, cut off by her parents for her reckless waste of wealth, was just the thing he needed. He supplied money for her eccentric life, and she had the 'history' to get him into the inner circles of the rich and influential. Of course, this mare was Fleur Dis Lee, and I did write that later on they did eventually fall in love, despite the marriage initially being one of mutual convenience.

Man, that was one of my better characterizations.

-Lumino

5693977 That does sound credible. Very nice.
Still, I get the feeling that giving him relating to Rarity cheapens his generosity to her somewhat.
I'd say he helped Rarity simply because he's a nice pony.

5694335 Odd to see him as an opportunist but it's nice that he steadily developed into the good pony he is.
Nice idea. I'd take it further.
Honestly, it would make a good story. :pinkiesmile:

I have a couple of short stories about Rarity and Fancy Pants where Fancy at first seems like he's absolutely perfect, but as it goes through, Rarity learns that while Fancy is INCREDIBLY successful as a business pony, his successes thus far pale in comparison compared to what his late father did with their company and he is constantly trying to convince those who worked with his father that he is up to the task. So on the outside he appears to be this flawless perfect pony, but he is constantly battling this internal struggle of being in the shadow of his father. It's a personal struggle more than anything, and Rarity see's it all by accident after she's tried to hard to impress him herself (not shipping, he is married to fleur in my stories)

5695531 Yeah, nopony's perfect. Not even Fancypants.
The idea that he's trying to live up to those who came before him does make sense.
It makes him sound like Bruce Wayne doesn't it.
In fact, in my take on it, Fancy's parents were murdered when he was young and it's affected him ever since.
His father in my interpretation was a lord and CEO and his mother was a self-made political campaigner who'd become the Royal Council Chairmare so he's trying to fill both their positions.
But it's a good take on it. I like it. :pinkiesmile:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7