TheBronyFiction 239 members · 1,787 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4
Eagle Heart
Group Admin

So first off, i'm going to start with the story

CMC Changeling Protectors

I was actually fairly lenient with this story because I really admired the dedication the author had to actually fully finishing it.

The main problem both of us had was that it was fairly cheesy and predictable. There was also the verbal abuse of the word "Father" that really got on both of our nerves.

There were many errors in Apple Bloom's accent that at times made it feel like she was Jamaican. It was primarily me who had this gripe because I myself am Texan and really know how the Texas southern accent works.

At times it also felt a bit rushed but managed to keep itself together.

I really wish I could say some positives about this, but the best I could come up with "Well at least it wasn't awful."

Alright, next up is

The Cutie Mark Legacy

The biggest problem with this story that us judges agreed on was that there was practically no conflict whatsoever. And every writer should know that in order for a story to be good there must be a good conflict.

The second biggest problem is that it just wasn't a good idea in the first place. It was fanfiction at its purest to say the least.

The thing though that brought the score up from what I originally was going to put at 2/10, was the grammar and the pacing. It was at least well written, just not well executed.

And next is... *sigh*

Down the Rabbit Hole

First thing you may notice is the word count. That already screams a lack of effort.

The pacing was faster than a race car on speed.

Don't even get me started on the weird ass narrative that spoke in the character's accent when it wasn't even in dialogue.

Description was non-existent.

The only thing I have to say about this story is "Alright, you tried and failed. Learn from your mistakes and try again."

And finally we come to

A Little Fixerupper

The biggest problem I had with this story is the dangerous lack of description. There was maybe two paragraphs that described something. All the rest was dialogue and actions.

Props though for that awesome Twist lisp. That was great.

A bit more of a nit pick from me, but the references to real life felt a bit forced. While not much of an issue it dragged me out of the story a bit whenever those kinds of references came up.

Btw, chickens go "Bock" not "Buck".

The amount of scene changes seriously hurt my eyes to witness. Toward the end of the story there are seriously about four of them ever few paragraphs. Leading me to think the story was a bit rushed at that point.

Also there was no tension at the end, the MC got exactly what they wanted no sweat. Which really disappointed me because of all the training they did previously. What's the point of mentioning all that if the character is just going to pass with flying colors?

And those are the reasons. I really hate to be "that guy" but someone had to give the reasons for the low scores. If anyone would like help on improving in the things I've mentioned before. PM me or something and I can hook you up with some guides or just help you with whatever you need.

2734808 Thanks for the explanation, and thanks again to everyone here for letting me participate in this contest! I'll make sure to keep these suggestions in mind for my next fics. This is one of the first contests I've entered, and I'm glad to know that I got feedback from the judges! :pinkiehappy:
I'll try my hardest to improve on my fics so I can win the next time around! (hopefully :twilightsheepish:)

2734808 Thank you to BronyFiction and the judges for this contest.

I hate to argue with a reviewer, but I must. I dispute your choice of onomatopoeia for chicken noises.

Icudeadnow
Group Admin

2735378 Yes, I do too. Chickens go, "Chicadee, chicadee!":rainbowwild:

My logic is irrefutable! :flutterrage:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4