The Shameless Self-Promotion Bureau 5,208 members · 45,108 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

Inspired by palelordhiphis's Apple ][ post yesterday, I thought I'd dig up a few of the MLP songs I converted to play on the BBC Micro a few years back. I've very recently started getting back into this, so there may be a few more at a later date. For now, though, here are three of my more popular conversions: a fairly straight adaptation of "Smile", a slightly iffy version of the "Cutie Mark Crusaders Theme" and a rather silly surf-style version of "Make a Wish":

The first two of these were based (with permission) on versions from the now-dead "Everypony Sings" website, which gave me a head start as I could simply adapt existing sheet music to fit the BBC's three-channel sound chip. "Make a Wish" is the odd one out: that was transcribed entirely by ear by me, and the surf-style accompaniment is my own creation.

The BBC Micro ("Beeb") has fairly good sound capabilities for an 8-bit computer. The range of features is not as impressive as those of the Commodore 64, which in more skilled hands than mine was the music king of 8-bit computers. On the other hoof, the Beeb had a vastly superior and considerably faster BASIC. In fact, the programs that produced these tunes are 100% BASIC -- no POKE statements here! Tempo has to be approximated (realistically, it's a case of 100 or 150) but it's close enough for these songs.

The cover images for each song are screenshots from the show run through a very useful program called "BBC Micro Image Converter" which does pretty much what it says on the tin. As such, the pictures are all displayable on a genuine BBC Micro. (I know, as I own one!)

I've been watching for this :)

This is awesome and totally makes me want to see if anyone has done similar for the Commodore SID chip.

Thanks! :pinkiehappy:

And yes, they have: check out Mad Harpshichord. Here's their version of "Friendship Through the Ages":

Like I said earlier, there's more that can be done on the C64 because its sound chip is better. However, the BBC is easier to program music on, and so I don't intend to change my system for this sort of thing. :)

The beeb is still miles ahead of the Apple II (well there's some sample 11khz sound stuff that can be done, but it would not have been "normal" in the Apple II's original lifetime).

British computers are friendlier, because they use the PAL system /punny

The BBC Micro was a great system for its day (it was released at the very end of 1981), and the fact that it got pigeon-holed as "the school computer" (plus being priced too high, unfortunately) meant that many people at the time overlooked just how good it was at other things. It was a surprisingly great games machine, especially if you had a disk system: Acornsoft actually got into legal trouble because their clones of Pac-Man and Defender were so close to the originals, and it was the original system for Elite! :yay:

The keyboard was very good, the official User Guide and Advanced User Guide were superb, with far more low-level information (eg circuit diagrams) than was usual, and the Beeb was built from the start to be hardware-expandable. You could add a second CPU (often a Z80) without even removing the case; you could plug in chips on the motherboard for ROM-based word processors, Pascal, etc; you could run bunches of them in a LAN; they had both serial and parallel ports... you get the idea. And because they were marketed at schools, they were really durable, too. Like with the Apple ][, they were still in widespread use in the early 1990s.

I love my Beeb. This may be obvious. :rainbowlaugh:

And now I'm watching Making The Most Of The Micro where they talk about the Word Processor chip you can put in the beeb. That's cool :) Like perms-cartridge.

That keyboard does look quality :)

(Not completely on topic but - Concerning my 8-bit ponies post, thanks to ADTpro and some random wires, I managed to get the Rainbow Dash Apple II image to load up on an actual Apple IIc just now).

Hmmm... Beeb BASIC is friendly. I like that RND() functions "more reasonably" in my opinion than it does in a lot of other variants of BASIC. Who wants a number from 0-1? RND() with a bunch of math to get a die-roll? No. Most people want the default of RND() to pretty much be dice rolling. Which beeb does nicely. :)

My first beeb program:

Does the job. :) Though you could avoid The Evil GOTO Command by using a REPEAT .. UNTIL loop instead.

What emulator are you using, assuming that isn't a real Beeb? I nearly always use BeebEm myself.

Yeah, I noticed a little while after I posted this that the beeb has a repeat statement (though to be honest, I've never considered goto to be that evil) ;)

Eyup, using beebem, compiled for Linux. :)

Oh, it isn't in my book either -- but since BBC BASIC has both REPEAT ... UNTIL and procedures (which are really useful) I don't need to use GOTO very much anyway.

I really wish BeebEm's Linux version wasn't so old. The Windows version is much more polished, so I tend to use that under Wine now.

Maybe I'll have to give the win-under-wine version a shot. Though I don't know how far ahead it is, I grabbed the source and compiled it.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11