The Shameless Self-Promotion Bureau 5,457 members · 49,217 stories
Comments ( 114 )
  • Viewing 101 - 150 of 114
Quillian Inkheart
Group Admin

All fair points! Alright, I'll wait till the 7 days are up before my next promotion. :twilightsmile:

gamexpert1990
Group Admin

Greetings, everyone. I'm just here today to bump up this wonderful little thread of our group's rules. One of them especially deserves to be highlighted at the moment. (My apologies if my comment comes across as harsh or snippy, I had a long day... )

Some of you might know exactly which thread(s) has(have) promted me to type this particular comment up, but if you're lurking 'round these parts and reading this comment weeks, months, or years after the fact, you really needn't worry yourself with what may have once happened.

Anyway, without much further ado, let's take a quick peek at Rule #5:

Don't insult or flame other users, their stories, their groups, or whatever they are promoting. Be nice.

This is just common courtesy. Remember that the original poster is there to promote something, and they have a right to promote it here, even if it's something you don't like or somebody you don't like.

It doesn't matter if, say, you belong to Yak Reviews, and this is an author whose stories you like to smash. Don't do it here. Don't post reaction pictures, make fart jokes, or be rude. If you can't be nice, just don't post.

This goes double if you are an admin of a group like that, 'cause you are the face of the group, so it's the whole group replying, even if it's just your opinion, really.

One line in particular that I'd like to make a clear and concise note about is the following:

they have a right to promote it here, even if it's something you don't like

Trust us, we get it, we've encountered this kind of thing numerous times. Some of you really don't care much for certain groups and stories and strongly believe there's little to no reason to have them on this site. The thing is, though, that the creators and authors of such groups and stories do kinda care about their ideas and have absolutely no shame in sharing such things with others. That's probably why they chose to promote such things here, in The SHAMELESS Self-Promotion Bureau.

(Disclaimer: It's also acceptable to be completely full of shame and promote something here.)

Two side-notes regarding what I just stated: 1.) Even negative comments serve to bump a promotion, so you're really only helping promote the thing you disagree with. 2.) I'm not sure about what stance the other TSSPB admins might have, but I'm of the opinion that hijacking a controversial thread to post a promotion of your own (so long as you're not otherwise posting anything negative) is absolutely shameless and perfectly A-OK in my book. :scootangel:

One last note for everyone to consider: PLEASE DO NOT use the report funtion to send something to the site moderators unless there's something that's actually breaking a site-wide rule*. Believe you me, those guys are plenty busy enough as it is around the entire rest of this website (plus the fact that they have their own lives to live outside of Fimfic, too) without someone shouting at them to take care of something that one of us can potentially handle. If you believe a group-specific rule is being violated, then please simply send a PM (or even a simple comment on my userpage will also work, though that may possibly annoy the others) to one of us in the group-specific administrators list, generally preferable to someone that was recently online.

*No spam. This includes chain letters, referral links, posting the same thing many times in different places, and anything that involves, or encourages other users to, repost identical or similar content. This excludes posting information about your new story in groups that explicitly allow it.

Question: what If I'm promoting my love of being insulted?

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

My rule of thumb has been that what you're promoting has to be something concrete you can point to.

If you've written a fanfic about your love of being insulted, naturally you can promote that fanfic.

--Sweetie Belle

Can you shamelessly promote others ??

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

That's covered in rule one!

1. All new threads have to be promoting something, and it has to be pony-related, or at least site related. It doesn't actually have to be something of yours.

Go ahead and promote things from whomever you want!

--Sweetie Belle

Oh sorry I somehow missed that lol I’ll make sure it’s all pony content though

Are we allowed to promote other stories or groups before the 7 days

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Yes, but if they were similar enough, we might consider them the same promotion.

For example, promoting chapter 9 of a story on Tuesday, then 10 on Thursday would be the same promotion.

I tend to think that if you went and did individual promotions one after another for all three stories in a trilogy, I'd consider them the same, too.

Largely, we're trying to make sure that people don't get annoyed from seeing the same posts over and over again...

--Sweetie Belle

Can I insult my own fics? I'm assuming I can, but I just want to make sure.

So I can promote my group every 7 days but I have to change the wording every time?

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

Basically, you have to wait at least seven days before promoting something, longer if it starts to get spammy.

You can promote other things within that seven days, but they have to not be sneaky ways of trying to promote the same thing again.

We don't really encourage people promoting the same thing every seven days, because that's when it starts getting annoying, and you're probably just catching the same people over and over anyways...

--Sweetie Belle

ok, I’m only going to promote my group one more time after the seven days our up and see if an one else joins.

Also can I promote another group with in the seven days?

SweetAI Belle
Group Admin

As long as it's a different group.

--Sweetie Belle

• Viewing 101 - 150 of 114