Pony RPGs 184 members · 74 stories
Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15

Greetings, ladies and gentelcolts!
I'm here to ask a question. Which RPG system are you playing currently which involves ponies?

I'm asking this to see which system I should use that would attract some players for an online campaign.
Share your thoughts! Which system did you chose? Ponyfinder? Roleplaying is Magic? Pony Tales? All the Pretty Little Horses? MLP45E? Any other?

A year or so ago I completed an Unknown Ponies campaign, which is a system based on Unknown Armies. (A d% roll-under system.)

My favorite part of the system is the Friendship Tracks, which replaces the insanity system in UA.

Each time you do something in concordance with one of the Elements of Harmony (save Magic), in or out of character, you earn a point on the relevant Friendship Track. Generosity points may be spent to encourage acts of generosity from NPCs (1: share an apple; 3: lend your house as the location for a party; 5: give your magical ring and mithril chain shirt to your nephew as he leaves for an adventure). Honesty points may be spent to encourage truth or hard work from NPCs (1: help me practice my tricks; 3: build a clubhouse; 5: harvest Sweet Apple Acres). Kindness points may be spent to encourage acts of kindness from NPCs (1: kind behavior from a stranger; 3: kind behavior from someone mildly antagonistic; 5: kind behavior from a major antagonist). Laughter points may be spent to create social events and/or mirth (1: produce a small birthday party ex nihilo; 3: start a musical number that encompasses the neighborhood; 5: disarm the Big Badâ„¢ with laughter). Loyalty points may be spent to help others achieve the difficult or impossible (1: looking good in front of others; 3: coordinating a parasprite roundup; 5: organize Winter Wrap-Up).

Additionally, 5 points from your Friendship Tracks spent in any combination earns 1 Magic point. Magic points can be spent to:
- Increase an attribute by 1
- Convert a fumble into a failure, a failure into a success, or a success into a critical
- Super-charge a racial skill, or activate a skill the GM has deemed to be particularly powerful (since all skills beyond the ones given automatically are 100% custom)

Magic points are the closest thing the game has to experience, since ranking up your skills requires failing at them, ranking up your attributes (which limits how high skills can go) uses Magic, and nothing else on your character sheet can be ranked up, unless you count gaining your one and only Obsession Skill, which happens when you get your cutie mark (which happens when a skill hits 40). Magic points are earned by accumulating points from the other five Elements, and the other five Elements can be earned by being a good friend outside of the game itself. :twilightsmile:

While it's not part of the UP rules, I house-ruled that the roll on which you earn your cutie mark (which by the nature of the game means you failed the roll) is retroactively converted to a critical success, since every example we've seen of a pony getting their mark is doing something great. One result of this house rule is that a blank flank with 39 in a skill is guaranteed to succeed at that skill -- either the roll will succeed, or the roll will fail, they'll get +1 in the skill, get their cutie mark, and the failure will be converted into a critical success.

5481704 This system seems awesome! I think I heard about it on the Barf Forth Apocalyptica forums.
I'll look for the Equestrian version then!

5481245 I run Ponyfinder. This should not be ultimately surprising.

5482015 I know it! :twilightsmile: Awesome work you made with Ponyfinder. By the way, A Dangerous Sparkle is one of my favorite fanfics ever (sorry for the lack of comments in the fanfic, I didn't had a Fimfiction account back then).

5482063 Glad to hear! Did you check out the sequels by chance?

5482068 Does it have sequels? :raritystarry:
I'll read them later! :rainbowkiss:

Unknown Ponies PDF
Kelpie rules
Zebra Alchemy rules

I don't think everything is included in the PDF; I think it assumes some familiarity with the Unknown Armies system. However, everything you need from UA (and more) should be contained within the free Unknown Armies preview.

5482148 Thank you very much! I actually already downloaded the preview and the Unknown Ponies file, but the others will be useful too. :raritywink:

5481245 I settle for attempting to make my own pony RPGs on RPG Maker. I don't have much on any of my projects as of yet, though.

5482213 Oh, actually I was talking more about tabletop RPGs, those ones with dice, pen and paper.
But that's cool! I would make one too, if I had adequate resources.

5482239 Yeah, RPG Maker's nice, but it's pretty expensive.

By the way, awesome profile picture! I love Equestria Prevails' OCs like the one you're using. I used to have Midnight as my picture.

5482436 EquestriaPrevails is truly awesome! One of my favorite artists on DeviantArt.
I draw there too: http://alchemysugar.deviantart.com

5482746 Same here. http://ise-no-kami.deviantart.com/.
I have posted some...decent drawings, but I mainly post my custom sprite from my RPG projects for fellow RPG makers to freely use.

Dungeons and Dragons 3.5 is the system of the PbP game I am currently running*

Of course , 10 years after Hearths Warming is probably not the time period most people would play in, but it does fit the system and I like a system where I can encourage tactical battlefield manueuver and other facets of tactics.

*Message me if interested.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15