Polyamory 1,762 members · 1,246 stories
Comments ( 24 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 24

I'm sorry, but the whole mixing Latin and Greek is really starting to get to me.
I want to start a petition to see if we can change the group name to "polyphilia" or "multiamory".
Either one is okay with me. What do you think?

...Really?

~Skeeter The Lurker

2809366 I think the Russians ate the moon!

2809382 yes. It has been proven by SCIENCE:twilightoops:

Jondor
Group Admin

Clearly, the only solution is to rename the group PolyMultiPhiliaAmory. Unless you think MultiPolyAmoryPhilia rolls off the tongue better. :trollestia:

Oddly enough, typing that word into a number word processors, chats, search engines indicate that it is in fact a legitimate word...

So... Yeah.

No.

~Skeeter The Lurker

In all honestly, I believe it might just be you who is irked by the name of the group... I'm not trying to shoot it down or aim any kind of nasty jabs at you or anything of the sort, so please don't think that way.
However, I, and I assume the rest of the group as well, do not believe that the name needs to be changed simply because the Latin and Greek words that make up the word 'Polyamory' rub someone the wrong way...

Yes, because your personal distaste for the origins of real words is a perfectly valid reason to use fake ones instead.

Jondor
Group Admin

2809366 Polyamory is the proper term to describe "participation in multiple and simultaneous loving or sexual relationships"[1] which is exactly what goes on in these stories. I, for one, see no reason to change it.

1. "polyamory." Dictionary.com's 21st Century Lexicon. Dictionary.com, LLC. 08 Feb. 2014. <Dictionary.com http://dictionary.reference.com/browse/polyamory>.

Nine out of ten doctors say that your argument is invalid and you should just stop trying to get the group to change its name.

I am Dark Star the Crazed! FEAR ME!!!

Seriously, though. I don't think the name's gonna get changed just because it's slightly irritating to one person.
Also, polyamory is a real word whether you like it or not so I guess you're gonna have to get used to it.

> complaint about mixing Latin and Greek
> complaint is in English

:facehoof:

You anger me.

It might just be me, but I thought I should see if it wasn't.

K

But... But it's mixing Greek and Latin...

Seems perfectly reasonable to me

Jondor
Group Admin

:ajbemused: Ah'm shakin' in mah boots.

Jondor
Group Admin

But it was such a thing of beauty. :pinkiesad2:

Here ya go, Cola:

Latin
Paenitet me, sed totum mihi, ut rem et Latini et Graeci mixtionem.
Ut si volo mutare mauris eget petitionem ad nomen "polyphilia" aut "multiamory".
Alia bene mecum. Quid autem vobis videtur?

Greek
Λυπάμαι, αλλά το σύνολο ανάμειξη Λατινικά και τα Ελληνικά είναι πραγματικά αρχίζει να παίρνει για μένα.
Θέλω να αρχίσω μια αναφορά για να δούμε αν μπορούμε να αλλάξουμε το όνομα της ομάδας σε «polyphilia" ή "multiamory".
Είτε το ένα είναι εντάξει μαζί μου. Τι νομίζετε;

Better?

~Skeeter The Lurker

And very apt for this group, too.

~Skeeter The Lurker

bats #21 · Feb 9th, 2014 · · ·

Shall we have a linguistics lesson, despite this clearly being a bored troll thread? No? Too fuckin' bad.

Well, it's like this. The word that means 'polyamory, except without multiple partners' is monogamy, which is Greek in origins. Polygamy, the fully Greek word that would naturally be the correct one, isn't available to use as the counterpoint, since that means crazy-religious-cult-multiple-wives-child-rape-Utah-buzzword.

So, when formalizing the discussion of poly relationships, the first discussions of it went with 'polyamorous.' This made sense, because 'amorous' is, like, a word we use in English. It's just that 'amorous' is a """Latin""" word originally, though it came into English by way of the Normans, who spoke French, so it's basically been in the language since English started.

So no, it's not really a blending of Greek and Latin. It's a derivation comprised of a Greek prefix and an English word to use as an alternative word that didn't carry any negative connotations.

Not that anything I just said matters, because bored troll thread.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 24