Polyamory 1,762 members · 1,247 stories
Comments ( 11 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 11

Lets say that my story involved a poly relationship with one male and two females, both of whom get pregnant at the same time, and go into labor almost simultaneously. Would it fit for them to decline to know whose foals are whose, with both mothers loving all the kids equally?

It would be up to the family, of course. I can say that's probably what I'd want to do in that situation, but I certainly wouldn't say it's the only way to do it. Since it's your story, just ask yourself if you think that's what the characters would do, and if so go for it :twilightsmile:

That's sweet! Not necessary, but sweet! :yay:

5071131 They need to know who is the mother/father but that doesn't mean that they can't address the other one with the same title.

Jondor
Group Admin

It's important from a genetic standpoint to keep track of parentage and probably tell the kids when they grow up and leave home (or in the event that they unknowingly get themselves into an incestuous relationship). However, I think it's entirely valid for a polyamorous family to consider all of the children theirs no matter who the specific parents are.

Although it's only a small aspect of the story, I'd recommend The Moon is a Harsh Mistress by Robert Heinlein for a really good description of that sort of family.

Depends on how pony gene's work. Generally, as Jondor points out, you need to know who your parentage are so they can not get themselves into an incestuous relationship, which would cause problems with the offspring of such a pairing. However if pony gene's work some other way, say to have a healthy offspring is about how many friends the parents have and the magic of friendship rather than their own genes, then who the parents are would matter less.

But it is good for a polyamory relationship to consider any children born from any pairing their own children to raise as well.

Likely, if the relationship is a healthy and equal one, then nobody would feel too put out if parenting was done without the biological parents.

That being said, if large decisions were made, or something bad happened, biological relation would probably start meaning more to the parents in question.

A lot of polyamorous fics I see follow the 'less stallions, more mares' model, so I think it'd be fair to say the biological mother might feel a bit more protective and such toward the kid, since the dad would always be in a unique position regarding the child. Likewise, it'd be easy to see a few cases where she'd perhaps feel boxed out of the life of a child her instincts are saying is 'hers'.

It depends entirely on the relationship, characters and the events, but it could definitely be a factor.

5071357 but since all the kids share a father it would be incestuous anyway. Besides, the kids would all grow up together as brother and sister - even if they weren't blood it would be wrong.

Jondor
Group Admin

I was speaking in more general terms, not necessarily applicable in your specific example. In a family with two or more parents of each sex (especially if they sire or birth children outside the family) there it's necessary to keep track of both (half)siblings and cousins.

5071711 well, in the story, impregnation is purposefully kept between the stallion and the two mares he loves, even while sex is not due to his sexual appetite being higher than both of them combined could keep up with, and so many others wanting to have sex with him.

An emotional distinction is made by all of them between fucking and making love, and children only coming from the latter when they feel they can care for them.

So all of the children share the same father, it's just they're not sure which mare is the mother.

Not telling seems like a bridge too far, but your parents are your parents even if there are more than two of them. To a great extent, parentage is nurture over nature; adopted kids don't love their parents any less, you know, and if your parents remarry you can end up with more family than you know what to do with.

And then magic shenanigans make things even more awkward: what if one of the foals (or both!) was sired by the other mare? I don't think anyone would deny that he's still their dad.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 11