Dinosaurs in Equestria 163 members · 13 stories
Comments ( 1 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 1

For those unaware, You are Umasou is a Japanese movie that follows a Tyrannosaurus named Heart.

For the most BASIC summary, Heart was hatched and raised by a Maiasaura who only had two eggs left after an attack by a MASSIVE pack of Troodon.

kekeke...

the two eggs contain Heart and his adopted Maiasaura brother Light.

Following several things, Heart realizes he can't live with his family because he's a meat eater, and leaves. Many years pass, Heart's become an effective hunter (somehow learning a bunch of martial arts moves), and eventually finds an egg that hatches into a baby ankylosaur, and simply states "you look tasty". The baby instantly imprints on Heart, adopting him as his "Daddy", and getting the name Umasou (aka tasty-looking), and the story goes from there. A more complete synopsis and review can be found here

Now, if you want accurate dinos/marine reptiles... you won't find them here.

Tyrannosaurus and Triceratops

Maiasaura

Elasmosaurus

Ankylosaur

Chilantaisaurus

...I have no idea, so i'm just going to call her a therizinosaur

Despite this, the movie is not afraid to tiptoe around the subjects American movies do. Heart outright tells his brother that since he's a Tyrannosaurus, he needs meat or he'll die. the prey isn't left as animals either, and no attempt is made to show they can't talk or think.

Overall, the movie seems good, but one thing stumps me:

Seriously, is this minor character an attempt at speculative evolution? A "Flintstone Amalgam" (aka, putting spikes and other "prehistoric features" on an otherwise normal animal)? Just a HIGHLY cartoon-ized therizinosaur?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 1