Dinosaurs in Equestria 163 members · 13 stories
Comments ( 16 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 16

some of you might have heard of or even seen the incomplete skeleton of Deinocheirus mirificus (latin for 'unusual, terrible hand), composed solely of set of 2.4 meter long arms.

for years paleontologists couldn't work out what the rest of the Dinosaur looked like. but a group working in Korea have unearthed enough of the rest of the animal to positively identify how large it was and what group it was part of

turns out it was an Ornithomimosaur (bird mimicking lizard), superficially resembling a modern ostrich. With a body length of 11 meters and an estimated weight of 6,358 kilograms, it's currently the largest of its group and is said to have had a pot belly and a slow walking speed, it was also an omnivore.

rest of the article here: http://www.iflscience.com/plants-and-animals/dino-was-part-ostrich-part-sailback

3730358 Old news. Short legged Spinosaurus is what's the hot topic right now!

3730837 shoot legged spino...:rainbowhuh: What?

3730837 Actually, the new Korean finds of the actual skeleton are new. Paleontologists have been able to I.D. it as an ornithomimosaur since the 70s, but now we know exactly what it looked like. As for short legged Spinosaurus, that's been news for about a month or so now. His news is younger than yours by far, cool as both bits of paleo news are.

Speaking of dorsal spines, though apparently Deinocheirus had one! Albiet this one used as an anchor for ligaments between the spines rather than as a sail, but still quite noticeable in that the vertebrae spines are the second tallest relative to the actual vertebrae of any dinosaur, after--you guessed it--Spinosaurus. Moreover, these large spines only show up at the back, meaning it had a giant hump on its backside. Quite the surreal animal, really.

3731191 oh, definitely.

I also noticed it's built like a low-level browser/grazer

I saw that! A quadrupedal theropod; who would've thought!

3731383 it's a big fish eating semi-avian semi-reptilian corgi or dachshund! :rainbowkiss:

And when all is said and done, nothing like the Tyrannosaur-killing apex pure-predator seen in JP3. Tyrannosaurus and Giganotosaurus still keep their titles as kings of the dinosaurs! But I love Spinosaurus so much now! It's the most different dinosaur I've seen since Therizinosaurus!

3731482 Yep. Though to be fair, he had a LOT of reservations about being in the movie.

Needless to say, he wasn't pleased when he found out about the 4th movie

And so, he shares his sorrow with another giant predator, Giganotosaurus...

Only to face the problem that Giga hasn't been in Hollywood as often as Spino or Rex, so doesn't know English

3731560 Giganotosaurus! My personal favourite :pinkiehappy:

3731862 I love that fellow, though I'm fond of Therizinosaurus and the good ol' Three Horns when it comes to my absolute favourites.

3731560 I for one really like the idea of Spinosaurus as this giant archosaurian eel sort of creature. It's almost like the dinosaurian attempt at a whale. Also, seeing Giganoto get into Primeval before Spino or T-Rex was a breath of fresh air.

3731482 I recommend Shuuvia if you've never looked it up before. Incivocosaurus is another good candidate for weirdest dinosaur ever.

3732029 China's a poser. AFRICA had real river dragons!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 16