Miss Harshwhinny is Best Pony 397 members · 94 stories
Comments ( 94 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 94
Skywriter
Group Admin

Hey, guys, now that Starlight is friends with yet another fan favorite character in an attempt to grant her legitimacy, how long before she becomes friends with the most popular fan-pony of all, Ms. Harshwhinny?

Skywriter
Group Admin

That's a bit, I dunno, harsh of you, Sky. I mean, maybe she's just making a circle of friends using established characters who don't already have a friend-harem. Do you really think this is all just a ploy to get audiences to accept her more?

Skywriter
Group Admin

It looks like pretty classic Mary Sue behavior to me.

Skywriter
Group Admin

Yeah, but, you said that when she became friends with the Mane 6, too. So now they're trying it with other non-mane ponies and that's still the argument? Do you just want her to be friends with unpopular ponies?

Skywriter
Group Admin

Yes. She could be friends with Trouble Shoes and Tender Taps. Also Trenderhoof.

Skywriter
Group Admin

So you want to see those ponies more?

Skywriter
Group Admin

No, I want to see all of them less. I want Starlight to show up for two minutes once a season and give a laundry list of all the unpopular ponies she's good friends with and then go away again.

Skywriter
Group Admin

I'm not sure about that. Starlight represents the writers' way to introduce a rogue element back into the main cast. Someone who will legitimately fsck things up and have it be in character. Remember when everyone lost their collective shit about Pinkie making Fluttershy cry? Well, now we have a character who could make Flutters cry and have everyone be okay with it. The writers are good at writing, for lack of a better word, low-level friendship adventures, but the Mane 6 are now leveled up past these basic challenges. It'd be like sending epic-level characters on The Sunken Citadel. When this happens, you get episodes like "Fluttershy Leans In" where absolutely nothing happens.

Skywriter
Group Admin

Why don't they just introduce tougher friendship challenges for the Mane 6?

Skywriter
Group Admin

Oh, great, like how hard it is to be friends when someone pushes you away when deeply grieving after the death of a child?

Skywriter
Group Admin

Welllll... I mean, I don't hate Flurry Heart that much.

Skywriter
Group Admin

See, that's just it! Six seasons in, they have mined out most kid-friendly friendship problems! So, they're starting over.

Skywriter
Group Admin

With a super-cool super badass unicorn who can out-duel Twilight friggin' Sparkle and who instantly becomes good friends with everyone in Ponyville over the course of a single song montage? No way.

Skywriter
Group Admin

You are just determined to hate her. Hater.

Skywriter
Group Admin

Hasdrone.

Skywriter
Group Admin

Moderator here. Keep it civil, both of you.

Skywriter
Group Admin

So what is your success condition, then?

Skywriter
Group Admin

I want her to friggin' work for her redemption, damnit!

Skywriter
Group Admin

But offscreen, apparently. Because you want her not to appear in any episodes but you still want her to go through conflicts where she works through her redemption. That's what I'm hearing from you.

Skywriter
Group Admin

I want it to be artfully suggest that she's humbled. I want actual humility, not just what DWK called "Regrets Tourette's" where in place of actual humility she just spouts off a line about how horrible she was and then proceeds to like a bitch who's learned nothing. I want her to organically feel like a member of the main cast not by repeated inclusion but by actual synergy.

Skywriter
Group Admin

Tall order, Kemosabe.

Skywriter
Group Admin

THEY FSCKING MANAGED IT WITH SUNSET SHIMMER.

Skywriter
Group Admin

Yeah, and then when they need someone to make some sort of titanic friendship fsckup for a plotline, you'd be all like "waah waah waah my Sunnybun waifu would never do that."

Skywriter
Group Admin

They need to figure out some plots that don't require titanic friendship fsckups.

Skywriter
Group Admin

The show is literally about solving friendship problems. Someone needs to create friendship problems.

Skywriter
Group Admin

I want the friendship problems to arise organically out of a legitimate understanding of the characters and how they clash, not be introduced by a huge Mary Sue douchenozzle.

Skywriter
Group Admin

I'm just not sure we'll ever be able to come to an agreement on this issue, Sky.

I agree with Skywriter.

I agree with myself.

[Edit: Just pretend as you're reading the rest of this thread that I have this usericon…]

horizon
Group Contributor

… wait, what the hell is this?

Why aren't you agreeing with me?

Because you haven't said anything on the issue!

horizon
Group Contributor

Exactly! Isn't silence the perfect response?

Well, I didn't seem to think so, and it's hard to argue with that.

horizon
Group Contributor

It's very easy to argue with that. That's what I was doing while I was being silent over in the corner!

Oh, is that what that was? I thought you were just angry at me being Skywriter now.

horizon
Group Contributor

I CAN SILENTLY FUME AT MULTIPLE THINGS AT ONCE, YOU KNOW.

You seriously need to figure out some identities that don't require titanic friendship fsckups. :ajbemused:

The show is literally about solving friendship problems. Someone needs to create friendship problems.

horizon
Group Contributor

I want our friendship problems to arise organically out of legitimate affectionate self-parody, not be introduced by a sockpuppet douchenozzle who might be confused for someone he's not.

The same way that Starlight Glimmer is obviously trying way too hard to be Sunset Shimmer?

Face it, this is just a microcosm of the My Little Pony of the future. Accept change.

horizon
Group Contributor

"Accept change"? That's what your mother said when she tried to pay me for groceries last night.

Starlight's character arc has nothing to do with Sunset's! She was originally driven by an ideology of equality which was an ill-considered response to childhood trauma, and then switched to personal, cold-blooded revenge. Sunset Shimmer was out for raw power, and maybe the ability to still eat bacon after returning to her original equine form.

LOL, grocery clerk? Really? What kind of loser lets a job get in the way of their 24/7 pony obsession?

It's not about what their character arcs are, it's about how they respectively approach them. Sunset's redemption is hard. She has to look every day in the faces of the students whose lives she manipulated and ruined. She has to face their scorn and win their forgiveness. By contrast, Starlight Glimmer is STILL out mind-controlling ponies on nearly a daily basis, and they just shrug it off like it's nothing.

That's not how redemption works. That's not how apologies work. They have to be backed up by a commitment to change.

horizon
Group Contributor

And yet Princess Luna, who issues one apology ever and literally becomes co-ruler of the nation, is best princess?

… uh …

I'm Skywriter now, remember? You're the Luna lover. I think you took my line.

horizon
Group Contributor

Sh!t. Sorry. Switch places?

Works for me.

And yet Princess Luna, who issues one apology ever and literally becomes co-ruler of the nation, is best princess?

horizon
Group Contributor

YOU TAKE THAT BACK OR I WILL CANTERLOCKS YOU INTO NEXT WEEK.

Besides, your mockery is factually wrong. Luna's life is defined by her regrets. She very nearly accidentally destroyed Equestria because she was beating herself up too much over her mistakes. Or are we forgetting the Tantabus already?

It's like I said a few posts back: It's about the effort that goes into the turnaround. Luna put effort into her redemption. Discord put effort into his redemption. Sunset put effort into her redemption. Those have been solid character arcs. Contrarily, we have Glimglam, who ruined everything forever.

If it's about effort, though, Glimglam has them all beat. She's the only one (besides possibly Discord) who still struggles with immediate urges to do the wrong thing. Her first impulse in solving problems is to turn to mind-control magic. She's relearning all that in real time. The others all saw the light and merely have to deal with their past mistakes dogging them.

Heck, Sunset even sang a song about exactly that:

But in Starlight Glimmer we have something unusual. A villain struggling with turning around her life in real time.

horizon
Group Contributor

I call BS. Glimglam has literally graduated from Twilight Sparkle's Friendship Academy. She got a medal for saving Equestria. When the chips are down, she's all friendship, all the time.

That the show tries to pretend otherwise is part of the problem.

I'm just not sure we'll ever be able to come to an agreement on this issue, Sky.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 94