Comments ( 33 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 33

How has nobody else started this conversation yet? It's been a whole week since the Season 4 premier and its third episode is already airing tomorrow. Let's get bitching! :pinkiehappy:

Here's my rant on the premier. I'm actually pleasantly surprised by the amount of positive feedback it's receiving. Hopefully part of this means we aren't the only people who are unhappy about the direction taken with Twilicorn.

2270148 Because the Hasdrones won't stop attacking the anti-Twilicorn fans :ajbemused:

The premier failed to meet any of my "Forgiveness" criteria.
I would forgive them for making Twilight an Alicorn if they did one (or more!) of these things.

A) Make Twilight no longer an Alicorn.

B) Make Discord a legitimate, competent villain again.

C) Introduce a new villain that made even pre-reform Discord look like a pansy in comparison.

. . . they did absolutely none of these. AAAAGGGH HASBRO/MCCARTHY!

We need Lauren back. :fluttershysad:

I didn't watch season 4 because I can't stand it

Those are absolutely ridiculous demands. Just thought I'd point that out.

"Hasdrones"? So anyone who liked the Season 4 premiere is a "Hasdrone"? Lolk.

Or even, anyone who doesn't complain a lot about Twilicorn is a "Hasdrone"? Lolk.

I hated the ending

SHE DID A FREAKIN SPARKLEBOOM also when did she become a good flier?

The Hasdrones are the extremist fanboys, which there is a lot of them.

You realize you're on the opposite end of the spectrum now, right? You look just as silly.

Also, there aren't a lot of them. But when you expect to see something, you're going to be very selective in what you see so that you see what you expect to see. In other words, you're seeing "Hasdrones" in places where they're not.

Because I dislike something that a lot of people like? Suuuuure.... :ajbemused:

Or she used magic. Because she, ya know, can do that. Magic can add special effects.

And you're making claims that they're attacking you. Yep, sounds pretty silly to me.

Because the Hasdrones won't stop attacking the anti-Twilicorn fans

Are you sure I said they were attacking me? Because I don't remember saying that.

Besides, I heard that a guy got a lot of hate by giving a negative review on the season 4 premiere, so much for freedom of speech.

Perhaps wanting an "uber" villain might be a bit unreasonable, and taking Twilight's wings away may be a little self-entitled, but I don't get how wanting Discord to be a villain again is ridiculous.

Well, let's see. A quick look at your profile (blogs), and it's pretty obvious you're anti-Twilicorn. You claimed "Hasdrones" were attacking those in the anti-Twilicorn camp. 2+2=4. It's pretty simple, really.

Besides, I heard that a guy got a lot of hate by giving a negative review on the season 4 premiere, so much for freedom of speech.

Uh, lolwat? One dude expressed his opinion, then a bunch of people responded. Sounds like freedom of speech to me.

Because it makes the entirety of an episode utterly pointless? Because it would most likely end up as a cheap cop-out? Because it doesn't at all fit with all the build-up in season 3?

Also, wanting is one thing.

"Forgiveness" criteria.
I would forgive them for making Twilight an Alicorn if they did one (or more!) of these things.
. . . they did absolutely none of these. AAAAGGGH HASBRO/MCCARTHY!
We need Lauren back.

^Those are all something else entirely. Something far too extreme, even.

2271448 And need I remind you that everyone disagreed and hated on his review? :facehoof:

For the love of god, just leave it at that, I don't want to continue on with this. Trust me when I say that the Anti-Twilicorn fans get attacked a lot even if they either didn't say anything or gave out valid points for disliking it.

Though not all of them are innocent.

Freedom of speech doesn't say anything about how people can or can't respond to what you say. I can say 4+6=212 all I want. Freedom of speech lets me say what I want (excusing libel and slander, obviously), but that's where it ends. It doesn't mean people have to agree with what I say, nor does it mean they can't make fun of what I've said. So your complaints here are fairly laughable.

Trust me

But I don't trust you. You're some random dude on the internet who's been complaining about all these people that are attacking anti-Twilicorn fans, which includes you. That doesn't come off as particularly trustworthy.

Though not all of them are innocent.

You don't say?

Because it makes the entirety of an episode utterly pointless? Because it would most likely end up as a cheap cop-out? Because it doesn't at all fit with all the build-up in season 3?

Because that's exactly what it was?

I'm aware that only so much time has passed since Discord's reform, but so far the only notable development that came from it was Celestia's excuse for keeping the Elements at Twilight Sparkle's library (a far less secure location than Canterlot, by the way) "just in case" Discord changed again (Translation: to create the set up for Twilight's imminent alicorn transformation). Was that the only "use" Celestia had for "Discord's magic" that she hinted to Twilight about in the beginning of the episode? If so, that already sounds like a pretty cheap cop-out to me.

You know, I agree with you that Orbinautz' "forgiveness criteria" are a stretch, and for the show to follow through with any of them would probably only do more harm than good concerning how the story plays out in the end. To be honest I don't think that anything this show once was can be salvaged from what it has become, even if Faust came back for some crazy reason. But I think he already knows that. A guy can dream, can't he? So cut him some slack. He has his freedom of speech after all, does he not?

I can say 4+6=212 all I want.

No, you absolutely cannot say that all you want. I dare you to get a job as an elementary school teacher and start preaching that to your students. Or to tell them that the Holocaust was a lie and never happened. I guarantee you that when you are fired the next day you will not find a single lawyer who will help you fight to get your job back. Freedom of speech involves so much more than what your limited perspective of it entails. You cannot say that 4+6=212 because it doesn't. Try building a rocket ship with that kind of understanding of basic math. Nor can you say that Hitler never killed 6,000,000 Jews because such an accusation is not only absolutely idiotic and a complete and utter lie, but it is also hateful and ignorant. Freedom of speech doesn't always cover your ass; especially not for "opinions" that are factually wrong or considered hateful.

And for the record, I don't call people "Hasdrones", nor "Haters", nor any other loaded names. Slapping labels on to individuals by calling them names to make them seem stupid or hateful is one of the cheapest, most illogical, and shameful ways to win an argument, and it's not a practice that I will stand for or allow myself to pursue. But if you want to do something productive by trying to convince Sabata that not everybody who "doesn't complain a lot about Twilicorn" outright attacks people who aren't happy with her, or that not "everybody who liked the Season 4 premier is a 'Hasdrone'" (which for the record is something that he did not say, nor had implied in any way. Don't put words in his mouth) then I'm afraid you have shown yourself to be a complete hypocrite, and if anything your behavior only reinforces his current stance on theirs.

If you like Twilicorn, or even if you want to challenge our views on her, then that's fine. You have your opinion, and I for one would love to converse with you. But do so in a timely and honest manner that respects everyone's "freedom of speech" that you are so adamantly promoting alongside your condescending mockery of all others who wield it.

Just read your rant, and I agree with pretty much everything you said, including if Celestia were to die. The episode was poorly written and full of enormous coincidences. (Zecora's potion made me face-palm. thanks McCarthy)) Also, it wasted awesome potential for an epic Nightmare Moon origin. Nope, we got two minutes that flew by and did the bare minimum.

My biggest issue with Twilicorn is that we've been given no solid reason as to why she needed to become a princess, both within the context of the show and the viewership. Twilight's ascension should mean something, not render her a third wheel to Celestia and Luna before attempting (ever so poorly) to say that she's still equal to her friends. And the writers should prove to us that this was the right direction to take.

I think they handled Twilight's reaction to the scenario very well, but that doesn't automatically make it a good thing. If they'd had an episode where Twilight became terminally ill, could we say the writers did a good job just because they wrote her character well within that situation? No. Not unless they did something to actually prove to us that this was the right decision to make, that it was a detriment to keep her as a unicorn. The premiere certainly didn't do that, and from what the writers have been saying constantly, Twilight's princess-hood will be swept under the carpet and things will go on as they usually did, meaning there was little point in making the change story-wise until the eventual season finale. The leaked episode 3 supports that theory.

Like someone else here said, it's depressing when amateur fanfics do a much better job introducing and explaining Twilight becoming a princess than the show itself. If it was literally just a Hasbro mandate I could maybe understand, but no. The writers knew this was coming from very early on, as they keep saying. Was this genuinely the best they could come up with? All that planning, and this was the result?

With that said, I really liked episode 3.

At this point, it's pretty apparent that Twilight is basically the Jesus Christ of magic. Born with a destiny and all that Jazz. A few things certainly annoyed me, but episode 3 was AWESOME, so I'm staying positive.

I'm aware that only so much time has passed since Discord's reform, but so far the only notable development that came from it

Let's put this in perspective. Since Keep Calm and Flutter On, we have had a grand total of five new episodes. Only five. Two were about the Equestrian Games. One was the Season Three finale. Two were the Season Four premiere. That's it. At this point, it makes much more sense to err on the side of patience. Assume they're planning things that involve Discord. Let the seasons take their course before letting impatience make you prematurely judge things.

To be honest I don't think that anything this show once was can be salvaged from what it has become

And what, exactly, has the show become that it's so awful? Or is it just that the break this time around was so long?

No, you absolutely cannot say that all you want.

Sure I can (again, save for slander and libel). But there are consequences to your actions. Freedom of speech doesn't necessarily prevent those consequences. In the example given earlier, people are free to express their opinions on someone else's opinions. I'm not sure why you (or the guy who gave the example) seem to think that you can't criticize someone's opinions on something. That's a perfectly acceptable thing to do. In fact, you've been doing essentially the same thing by criticizing the show. I'm not sure where freedom of speech is violated here. The critic/reviewer/whatever said what he said, and people responded. Where's the issue?

Freedom of speech doesn't always cover your ass

I explicitly stated that freedom of speech doesn't do this. "Freedom of speech lets me say what I want (excusing libel and slander, obviously), but that's where it ends. It doesn't mean people have to agree with what I say, nor does it mean they can't make fun of what I've said." Please read what I say before going off and telling me things I've already said.

And for the record, I don't call people "Hasdrones", nor "Haters", nor any other loaded names.

I never said you did. But the one dude did.

Slapping labels on to individuals by calling them names to make them seem stupid or hateful is one of the cheapest, most illogical, and shameful ways to win an argument, and it's not a practice that I will stand for or allow myself to pursue.

Okay, cool. Not sure why this is necessary, but cool.

But if you want to do something productive by trying to convince Sabata that not everybody who "doesn't complain a lot about Twilicorn" outright attacks people who aren't happy with her, or that not "everybody who liked the Season 4 premier is a 'Hasdrone'" (which for the record is something that he did not say, nor had implied in any way. Don't put words in his mouth) then I'm afraid you have shown yourself to be a complete hypocrite, and if anything your behavior only reinforces his current stance on theirs.

First off, uh, yes he did imply it. Heavily imply it, even. In fact, by opening his response to your post with "Because," he implied a great deal of things. That was merely one of the things he implied.
Secondly, I've not yet attacked anyone. If you want me to, I guess I will just to show what an attack would actually look like, but I'd rather not. So I'm not sure where you're getting "hypocrite" from.

If you like Twilicorn

I don't.

But do so in a timely and honest manner that respects everyone's "freedom of speech" that you are so adamantly promoting alongside your condescending mockery of all others who wield it.

Lolwat. I'm not sure how criticizing people's opinions is in violation of freedom of speech, nor am I sure why you seem to think this is a violation of it. It's really rather perplexing.

Also,
>condemns my "condescending mockery" with condescending mockery
Lolk.
Two can play at that game, sonny.

2270148 you just know that, even if they fix/reverse the whole Twilicorn thing, everyone who thought it was a good idea is going to be bitching about how "fanboys just wouldn't stop whining and never ever want anything to change in the show ever" and not just that it's a terrible idea with a flimsy and poor excuse to sell toys. What all the defenders are failing to realize is this stops being The Mane 6--a group of six friends, nopony of more or less value than any of its other members (Twilight was undoubtedly "the main character" but she had just as much importance as Rainbow Dash or Rarity or Pinkie Pie)--and has now just devolved into Princess Twilight Sparkle, Ruler of Equestria...oh yeah, and then, like, five other guys or something.

2274509 Just wait: once Twilight finds some way to use all 6 Elements herself, the others will just flat-out vanish.

Fine. I'll just set something a little more reasonable, I think;

For the finale:

The box must contain something amazing.
and/or
They introduce a villain who is on par with Discord's first appearance and the Changeling Queen in terms of personality and character.

Alternatively (this is a joke, mind) they include that old, old meme of Krastos the Glue Maker! :pinkiecrazy:

2271155 but when has she filed that well?

I assume you meant to say "flown," not "filed." :applejackunsure:

Anywho, she did that at the end of the Season Three finale. She also flew from Canterlot to Ponyville. Also, keep in mind Dash did the sonic rainboom once, then couldn't do it for years. I think of Twilight and flying as a situation similar to that.

The only thing they need is more Stephen Magnet :moustache:

They should change the name from "My Little Pony:Friendship is Magic" To "My Little Twilight:Twilight is Twilight oh yeah and there are 5 other no-names too..."

Just saw the third episode. It was alright, I guess. I like how they finally managed to pull every one of the six ponies into the story in plausible ways that actually made them all relevant to the plot in some way for the first time in how many episodes.

So it was decent. Except for, you know, Princess Twilight Sparkle saving the day by being the only relevant voice of reason among any of her friends and solving everything on her own. Which she's had the tendency to do lately. :ajbemused:

I agree with Ficta_Scriptor. The episode would have gone along just fine had Twilight simply been a unicorn student.

I did like Pinkie Pie at the end there. But I was disappointed there were no "Giggle at the Ghosties" references. :pinkiesad2:

Anyone a member of TVtropes? Their dethroning moments page is sorely lacking in the Season 4 bracket. http://tvtropes.org/pmwiki/pmwiki.php/DethroningMoment/MyLittlePonyFriendshipIsMagic

For me, these days, MLP feels like I underwent the Ludovico Technique in A Clockwork Orange. I haven't watched MLP since S3 ended and anything that reminds of EQG or twilicorn makes me want to go on random sprees of violence or become depressed.

So, anybody watch today's episode? Does it have any indication that the series will return to form?

*Extremely late reply due to a week of non-stop PS4 incoming* :rainbowwild:

So it was decent. Except for, you know, Princess Twilight Sparkle saving the day by being the only relevant voice of reason among any of her friends and solving everything on her own. Which she's had the tendency to do lately. :ajbemused:

I agree with Ficta_Scriptor. The episode would have gone along just fine had Twilight simply been a unicorn student.

I happened to really like the episode but... yeah... that part did irk me. :unsuresweetie: What was great about earlier episodes is that no matter the argument that Twilight was the main character, she hardly ever felt like it. The other characters were just as important, and on occasion represented the voice of reason above her.

When Rainbow Dash asked Twilight "Why weren't you scared?" my immediate response would've been, "Because she's an ultra powerful mage capable of flying better than most pegasi after just a few days, can do a sonic magic-boom and can instantly freeze five rapidly moving ponies in their place with no effort. Maybe next week you should ask Batman why he's not afraid of the school bully." :rainbowderp:

I think it's going to become a regular thing that episodes will feel like they could've happened with unicorn Twilight just as well, if not better. With that said, I'll reserve judgement. I've not seen episode 4 yet. (Though I'm so glad that the Daring Do author isn't Twilight's mother... As if the glorious Sparkle family didn't have enough accolades) But honestly... I'm not even that phased by the promise of new episodes. Neither excitement nor apprehension, but apathy. Maybe that'll change, who knows?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 33