Princest 1,687 members · 737 stories
Comments ( 147 )
  • Viewing 51 - 100 of 147

I leave the thread for a few days and look what happens.

I Love It!:raritystarry:

3578622 So adorable!:rainbowkiss:

3583445 *Munches on popcorn.*

sorry for being gone for a while there, :twilightsheepish:

I claim windows! I hath arrived:rainbowkiss:

Prompt: Windows

Celestia rubbed her groggy eyes as she opened her eyes. Her sister was next to her, tongue lolling out, her hoof in Celestia's...
Celestia jumped, galloping out of the room as her sister opened her eyes, wondering why her hoof was so wet.
Celestia pushed past her guards, knocking them over as she reached her throne room. She shut and locked the giant wooden doors and collapsed on her throne.
She took a brush that was laying in her bedroom and teleported it to her throne room. She brushed out her matted fur and mane as she shook her head quietly.
Celestia knew she had always felt a bit attracted to Luna. But last night, while she and her sister were sipping mugs of cider, it must have come out.
Celestia felt a leap of joy in her heart when she realized her sister liked her back, but it quickly was dismissed, Celestia sighing and slouching farther into her throne.
She then heard shouts and collective gasps coming from the hallway, where the stained glass windows were lined up.
She knew that the windows recorded special events, such as the Elements of Harmony's defeat of Discord and Nightmare Moon. They did so without any help from anypony, and they could not be removed. So when Celestia opened her throne room doors to see a crowd of ponies crowded around a new stained glass window, she wondered what it was.
When the ponies around the new window saw her coming , they either bowed or galloped away screaming.
Celestia looked confused as she approached the new window. Her mouth fell open.
On it were Celestia and Luna, actively doing dirty deeds to each other. Making out, hugging, Celestia standing over Luna, her...
Celestia screamed as she summoned a sledge hammer and smashed the window to pieces. But the window was undestructable, and Celestia furiously struck the window time and time again until she collapsed of exuastion.
Celestia REALLY hated windows.

My first Lunestia short... hoped you liked it!:rainbowwild:
Next Prompt: Hot Plot

Claiming Twilight... This should be interesting!:twilightsheepish:

Hot Plot Because this whole collab should be renamed The Landgrave's Princest Collection with Occasional Special Guest Authors.:trollestia:

Hot Plot

Luna and Celestia lounged in the hot tub, jets blasting the steaming water over their coats, relaxing muscles tense from a long day of negotiations.

The Minoan Oligarchy was one of the most ruthless countries on Equis when it came to trade. Situated as it was in the Marelantian Sea, the small island nation had no trouble controlling all trade with the Old Queendoms.

Luna hated them, the negotiations--she actually got along well with the gruff and blunt minotaurs day-to-day. They weren't swindlers--only because extortion wasn't swindling--and were always honest and faithful to their contracts. But they were ruthless and unrelenting. It didn't help that Celestia was dead set on lowering the cost of cane sugar imports.

Had Luna her way, the deal would have already been signed, either accepting the current rates or through bashing heads with the delegates. Either would have been acceptable to the minotaurs, they respected a good rough housing almost as much as a good haggle.

But Tia was determined to beat them at their own game, so Luna was giving her the chance. Of course that had taken a round of negotiations of its own. She couldn't wait for that payment to come due.

Luna relaxed even further as her mind wandered to thoughts of her sister and coffee flavored syrup.

The knock at the door was a most unwelcome intrusion. "Your Highness Princess Celestia, prince Blueblood has requested an audience."

Both Princesses groaned and shared a look. A waste of time, yes, but he was family.

After a quick kiss and apology later, Celestia trotted out the door, leaving Luna behind to continue her soak.

She tried to return to her daydream, but the lukewarm water just wasn't cutting it and eventually left to join her sister.

New Prompt: Preening

Luna relaxed even further as her mind wandered to thoughts of her sister and coffee flavored syrup.

Comment posted by TheWraithWriter deleted Aug 31st, 2014

I have an idea for Preening, but I won't be able to write it today, I don't think, so uh, pretend I didn't say anything. :facehoof:

Someone needs to write something so that there is a prompt that I didn't leave. >.<

Current Prompts:
Fizzle
That thing you do
Wax
Preening (palaikai)
Twilight (Foal's Errand)

I'll take Wax.

Wax

They pulled back from their embrace, meeting each other’s gaze immediately. Celestia leaned in and gave her a light kiss on the lips, gentle and soft.

“It feels like it hast been ages, Sister.”

“I know, Lulu. I’m sorry, but there have been so many details that I have been attending and matters of state that have required my—“

She brought her wing up to touch Celestia’s lips. The smile on her face only a fraction of the smile in her eyes. “We do not require an explanation. We simply grateful for finally getting to spend time together again.”

Celestia’s withers relaxed and the feathers on the tips of her wings ruffled once and then fell in tightly with the others. “Thank you. You’ve always been so understanding.”

“You seem troubled, Sister,” she said. “We saw thy body relax just now. Hast something been vexing you?”

Taking a few steps back, Celestia laughed under her breath.

“I’m not sure that is the right term for it, Lulu. Concern, perhaps? Doubt?” Celestia said.

“Doubt? What couldst cause doubt to cross into thy mind? Thou art the wisest and most solemn being in all of Equestria!” she proclaimed.

“I wish I felt that were true,” Celestia chuckled.

“Dost thou wish to talk about it?” she asked.

The expression on Celestia’s face was a reflection of the mare across from her. Soft and understanding, layered over what could only be called love.

“I do,” Celestia said. “I truly do, but…but I don’t think this is a good time. Perhaps someday soon I’ll be able to tell you more, but right now I just can’t.”

As her face fell, her expression dropped. Her eyes focused on no particular spot on the floor. It was possible she wasn’t even seeing it. “We…understand.”

“No!” Celestia rushed forward, her wingtip touching underneath her chin, raising her eyes back up. “No, it isn’t that. Don’t think that it’s because of you. It’s not. It could never be you.” Celestia’s eyes glistened with tears. “I love you.”

In a single lunge the smaller mare was pressed against the other. Their necks slid up and down in an affectionate hug.

“Oh thank you, Sister! We were concerned that thou had lost all of thy passion for us. It would have been devastating,” she confessed through tears.

“Never, my love.” She pulled back again and looked into her eyes. “I will always love you. Always and forever.”

“Celestia?” a voice called from beyond the room, causing both of them to look. “Are you in there?”

Turning back, Celestia spoke evenly and calmly. “I have to go now. I want you to sleep.”

“Very well, Sister, but…you will be coming back soon, yes?” she asked.

“Of course I will,” she sighed lovingly.

A golden glow surrounded her and raised her up, moving her over to her resting place. Celestia turned just as the voice entered.

“Tia, I—“ Luna stopped, staring at the figure residing on the raised display. “Is that a statue of…me?”

“Yes, it is,” Celestia said. “It’s a wax form I had made shortly after I…after you…” She took a deep breath. “I’ve had it for about a thousand years now.”

Luna walked around it, studying it carefully. “It is remarkably well crafted. It’s made of wax you say? Why that and not stone or metal?”

“Wax is softer and more…giving,” Celestia explained with a smile.

“It is an excellent likeness,” Luna stated. “It should be on display.”

“I actually like it being here, in a private room where I could visit it…alone,” Celestia said.

Luna looked at her and nodded once. “I suppose.”

“Come, Luna. We have work to do. I can’t tarry here any longer.”

They walked out of the room together, Celestia dimming the lights as they exited.

And I'll leave behind this prompt: Snowflake

:pinkiehappy:

That was incredible Nom! I hope Tia tells the real Luna soon.:heart:
Also Twilight is still mine real life has been sucking (my car died) but is better now (Got new car.) So i'm back baby!

Oh, wow... that... jeez. Excuse me while I go sit in this corner. No, no, I'm fine. Tears? What? No, I just got something in my eye. Yeah, that's it... something in my eye...

3599566 Thanks for keep track of the prompts.:twilightsmile:

I'm not on as much as I'd like to be, so the help is appreciated.:twilightblush:

Also, finally going to get in on the action with That thing you do.

I'm claiming snowflake. It sounds perfect.

Here's Snowflake.

It's an (Indirect) sequel to Cheese.

Luna’s bedroom door opened and a pony stepped through. She looked up to see her sister, an infectious grin on her face.

“Well, it’s official! Canterlot’s gotten enough snow that all business and government functions have been closed for the foreseeable future!” Celestia exclaimed, walking over to stand next to her sister.

“That is good. You deserve a little time off.” Luna leaned over to nuzzle her sister’s neck.

I deserve time off? We deserve the time off, every once in a while.” Celestia sat down and opened a wing, a clear invitation to Luna. “Beside, I’m not the only one who’s been working hard. Now it’s just you and I, together.”

Accepting the invitation, Luna snuggled into her sister’s wing, hoping Celestia didn’t see her blush. “R-Really, sister?”

“Really.” Celestia squeezed her wing a little. “Anything in particular you want to do?” Celestia peeked into her wing to see Luna’s furious blush.

“I-I am quite content right here, actually,” Luna’s reply was soft.

“Are you sure? There isn’t anything else you want to do? Anything at all?”

Luna looked up and saw Celestia’s cheeky grin. “Well, since you put it that way…” She leapt up from within her sister’s wing and caught something much more valuable to her, her sister’s lips, in a heated kiss.

Celestia was surprised, but quickly melted into the kiss. After a moment, both parties pulled away. Luna noticed her sister sported a blush to match her own, along with a giddy smile. Celestia moved forward, catching her sister’s lips this time. A minute more and Celestia pulled back.

“Celly…” Luna moaned as the alabaster alicorn pulled away. After a moment, Luna buried her head in Celestia’s neck, her nose working hard to absorb as much of Celestia’s scent as it could. The sniffing quickly turned into small pecks against her neck, and Celestia crooned lovingly at the attention.

Deciding turnabout was fair play, Celestia lit her horn and quickly pinned Luna to the ground on her back. Admiring the sight for a few seconds, she reciprocated, burying her own muzzle into Luna’s neck. Luna giggled and laughed as her sister’s fur tickled her, but it soon gave way to moaning as the tickling turned into kissing and nipping.

Outside the window, a lone snowflake drifted past on it’s solitary trip to the ground as two lovers lost themselves in each other’s embrace.

~405 words. Gdocs link for formatting.

Wow. This one's quite a bit more saucy than I'm used to writing. Guess it had to happen some time, eh? Anyways, was awkward, but a ton of fun to write. Thanks, for the prompt, Nom_deCheval! Someone had to get me to write something saucy for this collab, and I'm glad it was you.

Anyways, the new prompt is gonna be something heavy. Memories.

Edit - herpderp. Italicized instead of bolded the new prompt. Fixed.

Mmmmm hmm. Veri nice.

I am determined to make Memories fluffy and/or saucy!

Memories

Cadance lay in her bed, a thin paperback book held open be the slender fingers of one hand while the other twirled a pink lock of her hair. Her eyes moved slowly over the page as she read, taking her time to enjoy the book.

It was the sound of the door opening that drew her eye away, and she smiled. There, in dorky blue and white striped pajamas, complete with floppy, fuzzy ball topped hat. In one hand he carried a small plate, in the other, a tall glass of milk. She sat up straighter, ready to welcome her lover into bed. Then she saw the cookies and screamed.

One year after Luna's return.

Cadance trotted down the hallway to Celestia's room, her head so lost in the legal documents that the rest of the world might as well not exist. She didn't even notice the lack of guards, nor the sound dampening spell on the door, or even that said door was slightly ajar.

"Auntie, I'm having trouble with these..." she looked up and froze, eyes locked on the scene before her as three heads turned to face her.

Celestia pulled her lips away from the Luna in front of her, whose hands were still intwined in her flowing multi-colored hair. "Now may not be the best time, Cadance. Why don't you come back in about an hour."

"An hour?" asked the Luna behind Celestia, arms wrapped tightly around her sister's waist. "We shall require two at the minimum."

A dark light blue wall of magic formed in front of the still frozen princess, pushing her back until she was out the door and slamming it shut.

Cadance's magic shot the plate from Shining's hand, destroying it and the Oreos it carried.

Yeah, it's not great, but I've had this image in my head for too long.

New Prompt: Pets

It may not've been what you would've liked, but it was lovely. Good job.

3604389 Or you know I'll just accidentally write it for a different prompt.:facehoof:

3606442 Interesting....:trixieshiftright:

Twilight is still mine expect sometime tomorrow I think. Real life allowing.

Fizzle is now mine! muahahahaha!

(hi folks)

Welcome to the best collab around.

And here I am to tweak the teen rating's nose and give it a wedgie when it complains.

Fizzle (or the sound the sun makes when it goes out)

In the late afternoon, between shafts of golden light that cut through still and dusty air, Celestia surveyed the empty Solar Court through equally empty eyes. Habit had brought her there, the muscle memory of centuries dragging her limbs without conscious thought through the corridors of the palace, on a route that had long ago become so ingrained in her mind that she might be able to draw every nook and cranny and crack and carpet of it from memory.

Why was she there? The day had been set aside on her calendar for months. Nopony had expected her to be there – not even the usual hopefuls who turned up on national holidays, eager for the chance to catch her unawares, as if that might help whatever petition they had brought. She had no reason to be there, on her throne, waiting for courtiers who would not arrive. They had been told to stay away.

The light of the sun inched further across the empty floor, lighting the white marble gold and blue, and green and purple, and every other colour contained within the tall, slender windows that depicted events from Equestria's history. All except one.

It had been so long.

"A thousand years," she announced to the room at large. Her voice echoed strangely without the ever-present mass of ponies to absorb it. The noise served to wake her mind from whatever fuge it had entered. Celestia looked about herself, taking in the still air and the golden light. Light that had already started to take on a somewhat strained quality to her arcane sight.

Carefully, one limb at a time, Celestia tore herself from the comfortable, familiar throne and descended the dais that served to isolate her from the world. She took one last look at the throne and bowed her head. With a gentle touch of her magic, the crown she had worn for the last millenium slipped from her head and settled on the floor at her hooves. She turned and walked toward the great doors of the throne room.

Those few servants that remained in the palace watched warily as she stalked toward the western wing. If they noticed the absence of the crown on her head, they said nothing, and in a perverse way that fact pleased Celestia. She had always prided herself on the discretion of her staff, especially in those days and months when she allowed herself to partake of what might be considered less than savoury pursuits. No scandal had ever erupted, not even that year she had spent seducing every pony that crossed her path. Or perhaps their discretion was found in not informing her of the scandal...

But that was the talk of paranoia, and she was not a paranoid princess. Raising her snout just a little, Celestia forged onward toward the west and her sister's domain.

Luna had always insisted on maintaining her apartments to the west of Celestia's living accommodation, and that habit had not been broken by her lunar sojourn. In the west, she said, the sun would set itself and the dark of night reined the day for a time. It was her idea of a joke.

The corridors around Luna's private rooms were deserted and silent, shrouded in magic that was as novel to the world as it was ancient, the like of which ad not been seen for centuries. Even at this remove its crackling energy tingled in Celestia's spine and out to the tips of her outstretched wings, tantalising her body in ways she had forgotten were possible.

A door opened as she approached, admitting Celestia to the dimly lit corridor beyond. She paused beyond the threshold; the door closed behind her in near silence, trapping her in that place as surely as any cage.

"Luna?"

There was no answer to her call. Perhaps Luna had fallen asleep—but the magic was still strong, still growing. She wouldn't be asleep for this. Steeling herself, Celestia pushed through the curtains that bound the corridor and into the space beyond.

Bright sunlight filled the room, flowing through a bank of slender, gothic-styled windows that filled an entire wall. A fire pit of white marble rose from a silvery granite floor. Any other details of the room seemed to slip from Celestia's mind the moment she turned from them, leaving only the faintest impressions of form and colour. Black steel, velvety red, something that might have been a tapestry or a curtain across another door. No fire burned in the pit, and when she looked up at the window she saw the sun hanging beneath the moon in a bright afternoon sky.

"You came," said a voice. Luna's voice, she thought. Celestia turned from the sky, but no matter how hard she looked, she couldn't find her sister.

"Did I have a choice?"

Shadows flowed across the walls, coalescing around a dark recess in the wall. She blinked, and the recess was a doorway, and Luna was stepping out into the light.

"We always have a choice, sister," she said, with just the hint of a smile. Her coat was dark, far darker than usual. "Or so I had believed. You have come freely?"

"I have. But Luna, it will terrify them. They haven't seen anything like this for centuries."

Luna's steps took her in a circle around Celestia. "Your careful regimenting of the sky saw to that, sister. The moon fixed to the night, the seasons and years tied to your sun," she said as she passed by Celestia's rear, and paused a moment to smile at her mark. "The wanderers forgotten, the cycles forgotten. The wax and the wane, approach and retreat..."

"I had no choice."

Luna stood before her again, though Celestia couldn't quite recall when she had reached that point. "Perhaps while I was gone, that is true. Yet now I am here once again."

"And I," Celestia replied quietly. She raised a hoof, moved a step toward her sister. "Luna, it's been a long time. The world changes."

"You hint of social mores and reputation ." Luna snorted. "I am the epitome of change, Celestia. I know that flux is the norm, but change must be wrought upon eternal foundations or it will come to nothing. The moon wanders night and day, changes her countenance, and brings inspiration and insanity in equal measure, but she is always the moon. She exists, no matter how her face might alter."

"They have forgotten."

"Then let them remember! And let you remember too," Luna said. She leaned toward Celestia, raising her mouth close to Celestia's ear as she spoke. "You want this, you need this, sister. I know of your dalliances and your private scandals, how you sate your passions and seek oblivion between the legs of others. Oh yes, I know. The palace staff are not as discreet as you wish to believe, when their bellies are filled with food and mead and their minds tantalised by visions and dreams."

So much for that, Celestia thought, lowering her head. "It's true that I desired... but ponies cannot accept such things! It would be abhorrent to them."

"Abhorrent." Luna stepped away, turning to look out at the moon. By now few could have failed to notice its proximity to the sun. She imagined Twilight frantically studying the event, rushing from book to book as she tried to understand the processes involved. "They accepted it before. They celebrated it, with horns blown across the land and feasts in our honour!" Luna took a graceful leap to the sill beneath the window and turned, spreading her wings so that the sun rested over one and the slender crescent of the moon over the other. "Every new moon they would call out and feast and celebrate, and we would make love beneath the darkening sky. Every month we would renew the bonds of our spheres before the assembled tribes! You revelled in it, sister! You rejoiced and you were taken by the darkness, and born again to new light!"

With panting breath that ghosted white in the room, despite the warmth, Luna looked down at Celestia. Her eyes shone and her cheeks glowed, and steam rose from her back in the sun's bright heat. Celestia was panting too, despite herself, as ancient magic flowed between them. She tried to blink, but found her eyelids langorous and slow; tried to speak, but found her tongue thick and her mouth slack. She could only groan beneath the pent up desire of a thousand years.

"Remember it," Luna called, as she stepped down to the floor.

"Remember," she said as she strode toward Celestia's shivering form.

"Remember," she whispered, as her face drew close to Celestia's own.

And then her breath was against Celestia's cheek, hot and moist as a summer's night. Celestia's lips parted; she closed her eyes as Luna pressed forward against her. They kissed, and as the sun was put out and the moon cast her shadow across the earth, Celestia fell into the black embrace of Luna's wings, and lost herself to oblivion.

... welp.

New prompt is Solace

I have no words.

also claiming Solace

There... wow. You've left me speechless, Archonix. I can't words. The only thing I can think of saying that could even come close to saying what i want is: you've done an excellent job.

I'm gonna go over here in my corner and cry now. Because I can't compete with that kind of epic writing.

3613808 Wow. Excellent job.

:pinkiehappy:

3614146 3608612 3607699

Come on guys, I need new prompts that aren't mine.

Life has been sucking, planning to write today. :yay: You will have a prompt!:pinkiecrazy:

What prompts are available at the moment?

That thing you do
Preening
Pets
Solace (Pearple Prose)
Twilight (Foals Errand)

Y'missed one. Fuzzy's claimed Pets.

Ah. Didn't check the date, sorry about that!

Sorry, my prompt story sort of exploded into a 2000 word long one shot. I'll probably submit it soon.

I am atwitter with anticipation.:moustache:

Finished. I put the next prompt at the bottom. ^-^

Solace

Deep within the Whitetail Wood, beyond even the purview of the Mad King Discord himself, a tall white alicorn stepped in some mud.

"Oh, bother."

Grimacing, the alicorn lifted her greaved hoof and stared at it in distaste as brown... stuff dripped to the forest floor below. She very briefly considered using some of the water in her skin to clean off some of the caked mud, and then slapped herself for even thinking of such a stupid idea. Clean water wasn't exactly easy to come by in a world of cotton candy clouds and chocolate rivers.

Celestia, eventually, rolled her eyes, huffed, and stomped through the undergrowth with petulant spite, her pink mane bouncing and her armour clanking as she marched.

"Celestia! Shhh!" a lilting voice spat in an angry whisper. Celestia looked up to see a midnight blue mare in annoyingly clean barding glaring at her as if she were a madmare.

Celestia frowned at her sister. "Oh, hush, Luna. It's not like anypony is going to hear us out here."

Luna sighed theatrically, tossing her beautiful blue mane as her eyes rolled out of her head. "Well, yes, somepony might not hear us, but we aren't watching out for ponies, now, are we?"

Drama queen. "You understood what I meant. Also, I stepped in some mud."

Luna stared at her. "How galling."

Celestia sighed. "No, I meant as in, I stepped in some mud. It hasn't rained in... ever. Discord hates rain." She shook her sodden hoof at her sister. "Ergo, how did I step in some mud?"

A speck of mud landed on Luna's face, making her flinch and shoot a glare at her sister, before frowning in thought. "Surely it is just chocolate, correct?"

Celestia looked at her hoof in distaste, then licked it. She made a face and spat out brown gunk. "Nope. Not chocolate."

Luna tilted her head. "How peculiar." She looked at her with concern. "I suppose this would be a bad time to mention it, but something else has been bothering me." She sniffed the air. "Something smells off. I can't quite put a name to it, but it's rather familiar."

Celestia blinked, then took an experimental sniff. "It smells... rather metallic."

Luna jolted, and her face turned an odd shade of green. "Blood. That's the smell of blood, is it not?"

Celestia stared down at the mud at her hooves. She felt bile rise in her throat.

"We're getting closer," she said.

She walked on through the forest. Luna watched her for a moment, before pulling on her silver helmet and following closely.

"Celestia, stop."

Celestia was jolted out of her daydreaming by her sister's words. Turning, she saw Luna staring off into the trees to their left, eyes wide and alert, ears pointed forward and swiveling side-to-side. Celestia stepped closer and peered into the undergrowth. "What is it?"

Silence. Then, "There's something there."

Celestia's throat felt dry. She cursed herself for not bringing more water. "Well, do you know what it is?" she said, trying to ignore how nervous she sounded.

"I don’t know,” Luna said, shifting on her hooves and fidgeting with the bow strapped across her back, “I don’t know.”

Celestia snorted and stepped away. “Then let’s keep moving, before the dragon-”

Luna held up a hoof, cutting her off mid-sentence, and then stepped further into the maze of trees before her. “Can you see that?” she whispered, pointing with a hoof. “That light between the branches?”

Celestia followed the outstretched hoof and squinted. Her eyes widened. “Luna, this is not a good idea.”

But Luna, of course, was already ghosting through the grass and fallen leaves. Celestia, despite herself, let out a genuine curse under her breath, torn between trying to follow her sister and risk revealing themselves with her heavy hooves and glorious white coat, or staying back and being unable to help if something went wrong.

It was at that moment that a brilliant white light erupted from between the trees, making Luna cry out as the brightness blinded her for a moment. Celestia, unhindered, shouted her sister’s name and galloped to Luna’s side, brandishing her huge longsword in a show of defiance.

When the light eventually dimmed, a huge, glowing stag stood in the clearing before them. It looked at them with curiosity filling its gentle brown eyes.

“Greetings,” it said. “What brings you here, godspawn?”

Celestia blinked, shooting Luna a glance before planting her sword in the dirt at her hooves, standing at her full height, and bellowing, “Halt! Name thyself, creature of the grove! Be thy friend or foe?”

The stag tilted its head, looking bemused. Or amused, Celestia supposed. She couldn’t really tell. “I am a friend to all who respect the ways of the Whitetail Wood. And yourselves?”

Celestia hesitated for a moment, then spoke, “We are the Sisters Celestia and Luna Ex Equestria, slayers of the fierce Hydra, victors of the Battle of Trottingham, and champions of Canterlot. We crusade against the Mad King, Discord, and we seek to destroy his pet abomination, the Star Eater.” Celestia inclined her head in a show of deference. “Will you assist us in our quest?”

The stag grew very still. So still, in fact, that Celestia swore that it had turned into a tree before it decided to speak. “I am afraid, Sunwalker, that there is little I can do to help you. Discord’s reign has doomed the forests of this land to an inevitable death. The Whitetail, my seat of power, is already tainted and twisted.” His eyes shone a deathly white. “And the monster that gorges itself on the creatures and the magic of this Wood isn’t helping, to say the least.”

Celestia looked upon the withering wood and its fading god, and felt a spike of pity in her chest. “My condolences, spirit.”

The stag sighed. “Nevertheless, I believe I could help you find the Star Eater, although I would rather not - it is not an earthly being, you see. It is a creature of the world of dreams, of nightmares, the land of gods and kings and monstrous things.”

“It is no danger to us,” Luna spoke, standing tall by her sister’s side. “We are the champions of mortals, and it is our duty to destroy the Star Eater before it can consume more of our ponies in its gluttony.”

The stag looked between the two alicorns, then leaned its huge antlered head down to them. Its horns glowed a bright gold, and a small sphere of light floated out from between its antlers and floated up into the air.

“Follow this orb,” the stag said, “it will lead you to the Star Eater.”

Luna raised an eyebrow. “That is all? Why do you not lead us there yourself?”

But the stag just shook its head. “The Star Eater preys on beings like myself. If I were to get too close to the beast, it would devour my essence and grow ever more powerful. I have only managed to stay one step ahead of that dragon through tricks and illusions, something I can no longer rely on now that my magic dwindles so.”

Luna curled her lip in disgust. “Sounds like cowardice to me.”

The stag looked at her sadly. “I am sorry, Moonseer. I have done all I can, but I carry the soul of the very forest itself. I must do what I can to preserve it.”

Luna turned on a hoof and walked away after the floating orb. “Enough. Let us find this creature, Celestia, and show it the true power of a god.”

The forest was silent.

Celestia hadn’t realised just how much damage the Star Eater had caused until they had walked into the very centre of Whitetail Wood, where the trees were devoid of leaves and the grass crinkled dryly underhoof. For most of their excursion, the background noise of insects chirping and buzzing and the telltale sound of animals scurrying through the undergrowth had followed the two.

Now, it was all gone. Only the sound of their armour clattering as they moved remained.

The alicorn sisters hadn’t spoken since their meeting with the forest god. Luna had retreated into a stern and silent fury, while Celestia had gotten lost in thought, occasionally looking over at her silent sister with concern before returning to watching the forest for signs of movement.

They stopped. They looked around, and realised that the trees had fallen away, creating a huge, desolate clearing.

“Sister,” Luna finally spoke, “I do not like this one bit.”

“Neither do I, Luna.” Celestia watched the orb of light float slowly toward the centre of the clearing, where the dry earth was cracked and bizarrely colourless, and then hung there, in the air.

“What is it doing?” Celestia asked, tilting her head.

“I do not see the Star Eater.” Luna took a cautious step back. “What if the Whitetail spirit was leading us into a trap?”

“No.” Celestia quelled the thrill of fear in her heart. “No, he wouldn-”

And then, the earth exploded.

A huge, void-black head with freakishly long teeth burst out of the ground, swallowing the tiny dot of magic whole. Two enormous, milky white eyes stared unseeingly up at the neon-pink sky as it slowly slid up out of the ground, dirt clattering off its obsidian scales. Between the plates of its scale armour, Celestia could see sparkling white stars, trapped forever within its body.

“Oh, gods above,” Luna whispered.

The Star Eater’s head snapped toward the two, and it bared its fangs in a smile.

Deep in the Whitetail Wood, a white alicorn stepped in mud, and it mixed with the blood that ran down her coat and painted her greaves a rusted red.

Celestia didn’t care. All she cared about was the dying alicorn that lay across her back.

They had won, in the end. The Star Eater was lying on the ground, seemingly dead, and so they hadn’t expected it when it had lashed out, tearing a chunk out of Luna’s side. Celestia had killed it, then, cleaving its head from its body with a swing of her burning blade.

But it was a pyrrhic victory.

There was just so much blood. Celestia’s coat was matted with her sister’s ichor, her mane was dyed a deep red, and her own blood dripped off the frayed edges of her tattered armour.

Celestia glanced over her shoulder. Luna’s wound was coloured an unhealthy black at the edges. Some kind of infection, perhaps, magical in nature.

Celestia didn’t know. And it frightened her, more than any corrupted god or nightmarish dragon could ever hope to.

It was a long time before they found shelter.

Celestia had done all she could. She’d burnt her horn out with healing spells, she’d used the last dregs of their water supply to clean the wound, and she’d bandaged Luna up to the best of her ability.

But her sister wasn’t waking up.

Celestia didn’t know what else to do but cry.

“C… Celestia?” she said, eventually. Her throat rasped, and her eyes glowed an eerie green.

“Luna! Are you alright?”

“It hurts, Tia. The magic… it is inside me. It burns.”

“I’m here, Luna. I’ll always be here.”

“Hold me, Tia.”

And the sisters held each other in the darkness of the cave.

Next prompt: Broken

(I'm thinking of publishing this as its own story. What do you guys think?)

Emotive, like I said before. I think it'd work as a one-shot. It's a good slice of worldbuilding and emotion. :pinkiehappy:

I see no reason not to. I enjoyed it.

Looks like I'm claiming broken.

Warning you now. This one is gonna have a warning or two on it.

Edit-Scratch those warnings. That prompt is entirely too tragedy/dark/mature/gore to post. I've got another idea for it, though, so I'll go with that.

• Viewing 51 - 100 of 147