Authors Helping Authors 2,461 members · 8,588 stories
Comments ( 15 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 15
arandompenguin
Group Admin

Hi there, this is Dan (arandompenguin). I've noticed a fair amount of people during my time on fimfiction that seem to have trouble finding a group to help them, and some even give up writing because of this. For this reason, I decided to compile a list of groups you can go to in case you require help. Each of them has been sorted into a few headings according to your more specific needs. I've also put a short note beside their name saying how they operate. I hope this helps anyone in need.

Proofreading/Editing/Prereading:
Finding someone that is willing to look through your work and help you polish it up may seem like a daunting task, but there are actually quite a few groups out there on fimfiction that will be able to help you out.

Proofreaders and People willing to proof-read - Here they have a GoogleDoc system that holds 100+ proofreaders that you can choose from, sorted by there experience and each one has the tags that they prefer/refuse to work on noted.

Author Support - This group is a general author support group, but they have a list of people that would be willing to help you out with your fic, separated by what they will do (proofreader/prereader/editor etc.).

Looking for Editors - Anyone who is willing to edit for you is marked as either a contributor or an admin in the group, either hit them up with a PM or make a request thread.

Proofreading, Pre-Reading And Editing - Just post a request in their request thread and one of the people in their team should be able to help you out.

Editors Group - Post your story into their folder, then make a comment in the 'Stories Needing Editing' thread and someone should be able to help you out.

Reviewing/Feedback:
Aside from this group, there are a number of places that you can go to if you feel like you need a little feedback on your work to try and get some of those kinks out of your writing. Check out the list below:

Indie Authors Unite - We Will Help Everyone!!! - Our partner group. Create a thread with the title as the title of your story, then an introduction (including your name); the title & link of your fic; a description of your fic; and what you would like help with (i.e. identifying where you have some OOC).

The Equestrian Critics Society - A great new group set up for getting people to review your stories. It's akin to the review system we have on this group, without the need to review anyone back. Just put your story into their Main folder, and the admins of the group will sort out if they are worth the critique. This is because they only review stories that have the makings of a great story.

Useful Feedback - Add your story into the 'Detailed Feedback Requested' folder; then, once it's recieved the feedback you want, move your story to the 'Stories That Have Recieved Feedback' folder. (Warning: This group seems a little inactive at the moment, but I'm sure if new people joined up it would kick start the group back up)

Writers and Reviewers Institute for Technical Excellence - Submit your story to one of the administrators there following this format, they'll endeavour to get an in-depth review to you within a few days to a week.

I Just Want A Comment - Go and introduce yourself in their intro thread, then try and give others some feedback to keep the ball rolling and give yourself more chance of getting feedback yourself.

Equestria Daily Help:
Equestria Daily, the marmite of the Brony fandom. Each has their respective dealings with the famous site, and some less savoury than others. If you find your fic being rejected, and you want some help, there are a few groups that exist for that sole purpose to try and get you onto that site.

EQD Rejects - With a fair number of guides and resources, as well as a thread where you can ask a couple of the EQD prereaders (such as Vimbert the Unimpressive or Daffodil) and questions you may have.

I Hate Equestria Daily - A place where you can ask for some help as to why your fic failed to be featured on EQD. There are a few prereaders lurking in this group too (such as Cassius or Blueshift). I've seen some pretty in-depth replies from them that seemed to be extremely helpful. (You can also complain about the site in this group too, but I don't condone hate)

Equestria Daily Rejects - A group where you can get some help understanding what it is that EQD has told you is wrong with your story when you got rejected.

General Help:
So, you just wish for a group that can give you a bit of advice with problems that many suffer from? Things like Mary/Gary Sue, Lavender Unicorn Syndrome etc.? Or perhaps you want a bit of self-promotion? Well, there are groups for that too, check them out below.

The Writer's Group - Not only is this a place where you can do a bit of shameless self-promotion, they also have a fair number of hints and tips from fellow writers that they have picked up from their experiences.

School for New Writers - School-themed group, you can get your story 'graded' if you're looking for a bit of feedback, or check out their forums for a number of help threads (usually containing 'Lecture' in their title, so be on the look out).

World-Building Alliance - In need of a backstory to your mythical race? Or perhaps some sort of description of their lifestyles and kingdoms? Look no further, this group has a number of threads dedicated to building up the worlds of the creatures that we see inhabiting the FiM Universe.

Art for Fanfiction - A group where you can find an artist that may be willing to draw you up a cover art piece for your treasured fic. Or, if you're an artist, a group where your talents can help out the community.

Author Support - As the name states, this group is one that is designed to help authors out. There are a number of threads dedicated to helping out with some of the common problems that fanfic writers have, as well as people who would be willing to critic, take your requests, draw cover art or collaborate with you on your writing.

The Collab Cage - Here is a group where people who would be willing to write your fic with you congregate. If you've ever wanted someone to help you write, or wish to write with someone else, your fic, then this is the place for you.

Well, that concludes my list of help groups on fimfic, I know I've ommited some, so if you have any suggestions for groups that should be added to this list, feel free to comment. However, it's up to us (the admins) whether that group should be in the list or not.

Anyway, I hope this helped some of you. Have a nice day.
-Dan

How about making this sticky? Because this is a good list to remember

What about my group Indie Authors Unite - We Will Help Everyone!!! We are the brother/sister group to this group!

It's there in the post...

arandompenguin
Group Admin

633521 You're under the Reviewing/Feedback section, don't think I could miss out our partner group from the helpful groups list.

633525 633627
:facehoof::facehoof::facehoof::facehoof::facehoof::facehoof::facehoof::facehoof::facehoof::facehoof::facehoof: Sorry, I completely missed that! I should stop trying to read this site and hide it from the robotics team at the same time. It makes me tend to skim things. Again, I am sorry!

arandompenguin
Group Admin

633796 It's cool, hiding stuff can be hard.

Edit: Wow that sounded creepy...

vren55
Group Admin
arandompenguin
Group Admin

Altered the title, just so that people know that this directory contains links to several proofreading groups, should the people so need one.

Oh, how lucky I saw this. I was just about to go to a proofreader group with the intention of finding flaws in my story that Equestria Daily told me about. I hadn't realized that there were groups for Equestria daily submission things.

I'm not sure if my (currently 2-member, including myself) group would count, but if I can't find a way to get more people in it, then it has no point. The idea of it is that you post some story ideas that you have, but for various reasons can't/won't do, and in return, you do one or two of the ideas that someone else posted. I started it because I was coming up with too many ideas, and I can't keep track of them all.
Here's the link, if anyone's interested:
Take these story ideas!!!

633375 This is really helpful. Thanks man.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 15