Authors Helping Authors 2,462 members · 8,589 stories
Comments ( 3 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 3

What I’m talking about is a name that clearly shows the contempt your caregivers, usually parents, have for you for no real fault of your own. There are plenty of words from just about every language that could be used as names in MLP that could be used to show or express this, and if the writers were feeling a bit more creative the name/word’s meaning would be subverted by the personality or actions of the pony.

One such word that could be a name for a future pony, canon or otherwise, that could be used for this is the word Gewgaw. Now many of you might just look at it and say “But that’s just a baby word and has no real meaning” and to that, I will say that it as actually a genuine recognized word. But it’s meaning is far from flattering. The meaning of Gewgaw is, as defined by dictionary.com “something gaudy and useless; trinket; bauble.”

Now, if I ever saw a pony with that name, and knowing what I know now, I would think whoever named that pony hated, despised, or just didn’t like them all that much for some reason.

Well, double meanings can be important here. I haven't used her yet, but I have in my notes for future stories a mare named Falling Star. At face this means "something that hits the ground with a tremendous crash!" (and just to add to this, I mean to write her as a little bit clumsy). But a falling star is also a meteor, a bright streak across the sky, a rare and inspiring event you have to be lucky to see.

A gewgaw might be just frivolous. Or it might represent a precious memory, it could be the souvenir of a moment you wish to cherish. Or, you could take your gewgaw to the Antique's Road Show and discover that it's worth a fortune.

I will concede that it does matter which definition and how it's used. Also, existing words can have definitions added or changed over the life of any language at almost anytime

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 3