Authors Helping Authors 2,461 members · 8,588 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12

This is a simple question from those who have not gotten success to those who have. While it is true that stories should be written for oneself, there is little comfort in the fact that there are others who can easily break into the thousands of views with just one chapter, while months and even years of work for someone else amounts to not even half that amount.

What are the best ways to advertise to reach a better audience? Without readers, a story of any length is the same as shouting into a void.

Its not just stories here, the "problem" exists in all forms of "social interaction" (for lack of a better word) where something becomes popular because of its pre-existing audience and recognition; it doesnt matter how bad a disney movie is, it'll ALWAYS get more box office than the greatest independent film... I hate that aspect, where things are only popular because its already got popularity/recognition, but it's a fact of life, and all you can really do is make good, mass appealing products, showcase them as far as you can reach, and hope it gets a following... Sad to say.

It's kinda complicated.

Do you follow trends and give people what they want or you write what you want and damn the consequences.
Of course within limits.

The path that you're comfortable may lie within these two or beyond.

Also there is advertising, having good cover art and also having a presence in the forums.
Or you can just hone your writing skills and just post more stories.

I do suggest trying not to compare yourself to others too often, it really is the way to madness.

Without readers, a story of any length is the same as shouting into a void.

I wouldn't worry about that too much here.
Got an old story here, and every few days the count of views ticks upward.
Oh yeah I get some downvotes too.

So you do get visitors over time.

I only recently reached over 100 likes on my first story and my best answer would be this, write for yourself. While there are those stories that have reached over 100 likes in their first day from an unknown author the biggest thing I have noticed would be to constantly update the story, to make it interesting to YOU, and to just give it time. I am editing a story and its gotten to 40 likes in around 3 weeks, mostly from having an interesting premise and having 4 chapters already. I took a look over your profile and it looks like for the most part none of these are problems for you, the issue is exposure. My suggestion, find some people that follow you and have a large following and ask them to look over your work and see if they would promote you. The reason it looks like you are struggling is that your view count on your stories is piss poor, this isn't really your fault. I don't have a huge following but I would be more than happy to promote your work, just keep writing and look/ask for people to read your stuff and promote you. Eventually, you will take off, you have 20+ stories, as soon as one takes off others are bound to follow.

Thanks for the tip. This is the first time I've thought of asking others to promote my stuff. I might try it once my current major story is finished. It's got a few more chapters left.

But what if no one, or very nearly no one, is reading my stuff? I have some completed stories that haven't grown in for months. Some for years.

6693289 If you manage to get on Equestria Daily with your story, it will give you a little bump in popularity.

Hi there.

Saw your post. Well, if you wanna get more views in a story, the best thing to do is put them in groups they go in. Also in the appropriate folders too, people get really picky on that. You will notice that after you've added your story in a group, your view number will eventually rise. You can continue the same method. I found this to be the best way to promote my story. Hope it helps! :twilightsmile:

Crystal Out! xxxx

1: Write good.
2: Write a LOT.

Three key things: good long and short descriptions, good cover art, promote your story in the right groups.

But none of those matter if you don't do what 6693310 said.
Writing consistently good stories is the thing that really builds an audience long-term.

Do some promotions.
Post your stories in groups that are appropriate for them.

Finish your stories too.
Some folks look at stuff that's on hiatus and cancelled, and they might lose interest.

One thing you might try is to post your story in a review group.
But be careful and check out how they work.
Some readers are looking for good stuff to read and don't have the patience to just read something at random.

Also have patience and keep on writing.
Ocalhoun is also right.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12