Authors Helping Authors 2,462 members · 8,589 stories
Comments ( 7 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 7

Hello! I want to write a fan fiction that takes place in a cyberpunk alternate universe. There are some ponies who have super abilities due to horrible experiments done on them. There is a team of ponies with said abilities that uses them to protect the innocent. One day, they find a young earth pony who has telekinesis and they had to protect her. The ponies will be anthro and I want the story to focus on my original characters rather than the main six because I can't write a fan fiction without breaking character. Yet, I have a feeling that a story with this type of premise would be a bad idea. So, I just want to know if this is a good idea or should I make some changes before I even start writing. Please.

I think this story has a great premise and you should go with it. And don't be afraid of breaking character, everyone's gonna do it at some point, whether it'd be intentionally or unintentionally. And if you need help keeping the Main 6 in character and possible grammar and story telling issues, then I can help you edit.

One of the key things is that your story seems to be based on a system that grants powers. Have an understanding of how these power work and appear in ponies, and make sure the reader understands the rules as well. This prevents dues ex machinas from appearing and magically reducing all the tension in a story.

I want to write a fan fiction that takes place in a cyberpunk alternate universe.

Focus on telling a good story then add the cyberpunk stuff.
No amount of cyberpunk can help a crappy story.

-----------------

I find it better to answer the question,"what is the story about?"
Answer that with one sentence and you have a good idea where to go with your story.
Why do you want to do this?

You need to know what your story is about so you can finish it.

-----

Don't be afraid to write whatever you want.
To get good at writing, you have to write a lot of stories.
So if this story is something you want to do, go do it.

Thank you for the feedback! It means a lot to me.

6509957 If that is a bad idea then X-men would have never come into existence.

What I'm saying is, your idea is a solid one. However, it will come down to execution. The idea alone does not a story make.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 7