Authors Helping Authors 2,462 members · 8,589 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

I ran this poll with another group and saw some interesting responses and ideas. If you've seen this, you must be a member as well. Thought I'd share it here, just to expand polling and not stick to one location. I got some good ideas in the comments and I hope others did as well. It was fun.

As far as writing goes, there are conventions generally agreed upon when it comes to acceptable practice.

What are some stylistic or format related things you practice or like/don't dislike seeing in writing? What are the things editors or stylistic critics will shaft you for, but you're okay with? Or share something else.

Have fun.

A few things of mine are...

-"Lengthy exposition". I get called out on this by some. If it leads somewhere or moves a story along, why not? I understand avoiding the description of some boring thing you won't ever have to acknowledge again, but most stories are made up of major events with a lot of jumping around in between.

-A lack of character interaction, with large sections relating to a character relating events and perceptions in the third-person point of view. Related to exposition, describing something may save a lot of boring banter.

-Really cerebral stuff. I don't encounter it much around here, though. Read Kantor's Andersonville or Trumbo's Johnny Got His Gun and you'll see a mess of thoughts and actions, almost indistinguishable from one another.

-"..." Ellipses. I love using ellipses. I saves on having to otherwise acknowledge a character pondering or trailing on and off in their speaking. I've been accused of using it to the degree it's distracting or off-putting. Using "..." also indicates a character's non-verbal response.

Lengthy exposition". I get called out on this by some. If it leads somewhere or moves a story along, why not? I understand avoiding the description of some boring thing you won't ever have to acknowledge again, but most stories are made up of major events with a lot of jumping around in between.

I don't like those because some of the info is not really needed at that time and could be handled better. I usually have chars talk or a char look at something.

-------------
Related to info dumps in the story are info dumps in the description with no info in the story.
So if you skipped the info dump description, too bad for you.

-------------

Folks who write crossovers and don't explain things.
Also folks who use terms and don't explain things.
I know one writer who used the term 'tannoy' and in the story, I thought it was an animal.
Later on, the person said it was a loudspeaker. The fix would be less than a sentence long.

Yeah, I probably goofed a little here. I just couldn't think of a better way to introduce an unfamiliar universe. Oh, well.

In one of my stories, the chars from Equestria get a briefing from a char from another world on how things go.
In this world, ponies and other creatures wear clothing and shoes.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4