Authors Helping Authors 2,461 members · 8,588 stories
Comments ( 24 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 24

Now, before I begin, I want to make it clear that I am not an artist! So don't give me requests!

I've decided to make this thread in case any one of you authors needs good cover art for your story. If you are an artist, preferably working for free, please post in the comments that you are. If you do have commission prices, and you absolutely need to be paid for your art, name your prices and method of payment in said comment.
Now, there are two ways to request. Public requesting is when you reply to an artist's comment naming the specifications of the picture you so desire. Please try and keep it simple! We don't want artists struggling to draw something very detailed that they might not get paid for. It's just rude.
The second way is private requesting, for if you want to keep a story under wraps for the time being. Basically, you do the same thing as public requesting, but in a PM. Very simple, shouldn't have to really explain this…

Also, I may have just made this so I can get art for something, but that's not the (whole) point!

Ohoho boy, do I NEED some cover art. People tend to shy away from the OC creator ponies. Even when I edit them a little bit.

652873First thing that I think on is this group on Deviantart there should be some artist there that takes jobs, beside that is there this where there is a lot of price lists. As an rule of thump would I say don´t count on free stuff. We are so many there is asking for free stuff, and covers need to be in a relative good quality after all. But that is just my opinion

653061 You see the cover art for my story The Cracks Are Showing? That was free AND in great quality.
I'm sure we can pull this off.

Sure it can happen, but if all think that they can do it...

If someone could get me a cover art photo for Secrets depicting a scene in the prologue, (the one where the MC is outlined against the moon) then I would be eternally grateful. I do not have the means to pay. I would do it myself but I do not have the programs or time.

I for one will gladly cough up some money for good pony art. My story could certainly use an inciting cover pic!

vren55
Group Admin

652873 a great idea and thanks for posting this thread. But next time please pm us admins first. Sometimes (though not this time). We admins are ahead of the group and wish to implement a similar threads. so before posting a useful thread such as this please give us a heads up!

Sincerely
Vren55

P.s. that being said. Does anybody know a good artist who can do cover art for free???

Hey there! Just a bit of shameless advertising, Art for Fanfiction maintains a list of artists accepting art requests. I happen to be one of those artists, though I'm a rather busy one.

Feel free to toss some requests my way, but do note that I'm pretty picky about what I do. I won't turn down a commission if offered, though (twirls my capitalist monocle). :trollestia:

Comment posted by Tunalock deleted Jan 25th, 2013

656246 Well, I have one half of a sentence done for my story…

I need to find myself a cover-art picture for my story about the Weather Trio from the third generation of Pokemon. Displaying all three beasts (Groudon, Kyogre and Rayquaza if you want to look it up) and an involvement with the lunar/solar princesses and the Mane Six. Her's a piece of artwork by (I think) Nintendo showcasing the three to begin with:

I'd like to recommend an artist for cover art images. I recently got a pretty cheap vector image from Mr.Cbleck that I am utterly happy with. His prices a very fair and the quality is good. The time it took to get the image ready was about a week and a half. Check him out - he did a great job with the cover image for my story.

Man i can't say I know anyone that would do free cover art but a friend of mine does commissions. Shes really talented and just received my commission today!

Its the cover art for my currently only story Nox Arcana. The Direct link to the image is Here. Let me know what you think! ^_^

im not the best, but i am an artist. all my cover art i do by myself, and some i havent even shown. if anyone needs a cover art. gimmie a shout! i'll do my best

This may be showing my newbness and lack of knowledge. This may not even be the right place to ask this, but how can an artist on Deviant Art charge someone for what is in essence fan art?

Isn't that illegal unless part of the proceeds go to Hasbro? I mean they didn't come up with the characters on their own. They didn't first create the concept of My Little Pony Friendship is Magic or other IP's on their own either. How can they charge someone to make fan art for them? :applejackconfused:

I'm not saying they have to agree with everyone and make fan art for them. I support their right to say "NO" to someone for whatever reason. This commission for fanart deal sounds very sketchy and illegal to me, unless you are actually making a request to one of the original artist of the IP.

I believe that is how Deviant Art first started. I think it was started by a bunch of actual media artist, because they wanted to have the freedom to draw and share more risque art with fans of their work through an easily accessible medium.

To me this sounds similar to Fan fiction writer's charging for a story. I know some fanfics are extremely well done, but they still don't get to charge people for it. I know sometimes it takes a lot of time to make something for Deviant Art, but there are plenty of fanfics that take a hundred or more times as long to write. So why is it artist on DA can get away with charging people for fan art? :rainbowhuh:

In the end I guess my main concern is if this is a wide spread practice. I would like some fanart for a cover image for some of my stories, but i am not planning on paying someone for it. I would provide a link to their site and give them proper thanks, even if it wasn't required. Also I would like to know how this works before I start asking around for a Cover image for a story of mine.

Can anyone help me with cover art?

True, I suck at writing. But... can anyone help?

Ohh, I'm an artist!
You may have seen my thread before about giving out free OC pictures.
Anyways, I'm always open for some cover art orders.
Just ask away :twilightsmile:

4150630 Can you help me with some cover art?

4823617 Maybe maybe.

Send me the information about it in a PM

4826041 Well it's for my fic 'My Little Pony: Spike to the Rescue' and I imagine it featuring Spike walking forward, a dragon on a mission while a fearful and captive Mane 6 are on one side and the evil eyes of the shadowy, hooded villain are on the other

I wouldn't mind doing art for people in exchanged for cash/paypal though I honestly don't know if people would want to pay for traditional art. So shrugs...

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 24