World-Building Alliance 2,161 members · 839 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12

what would Zebrica be like in the world of MLP? what monster live there? what creatures live there, beside zebras. the legend, myth, culture, life style, etc. the land mash lay out and biomes in zebrica. Etc.

I'd expect Zebrica to be a patchwork of tropical and subtropical climes and the predominant culture being a mish-mash of Masai, Zulu and voodoo traditions intermingled with some Coptic-Arab attributes and maybe a constitutional derivative of British and Spanish legalism.

You forgot the Bushmen or in the zebra case, the Bushmane. For the North Zebrica, there should be Marrocco and Zegypt

and other lands that got influences from the horses of Saddle Arabia.

4854967 I did figure there'd be more African cultures, but I couldn't remember what they were called.

Physical Geography:
The continent of Zebrica is shaped like a big wedge, wider in the north and tapering towards its southern end, that's been tilted to the right. The eastern coast is relatively flat, with broad, open savannas and low, rolling hills. As you move west, the land rises, and there is a broad interior rainforest, where eastern winds bring water. There are numerous plateaus and broken mountain chains here. Further west, the land rises into a great north-south mountain chain that plunges into the South Celestial Ocean, with only a narrow strip of land on the western coast of Zebrica. In the north, the tilt is less noticeable, and the Zebrica proper melds smoothly into the desert lands of Dromedaria and Saddle Arabia.

Inhabitants:
The Equestrian name "Zebrica" comes naturally from the zebras, who are the most famous inhabitants of the entire continent. This is not mere equine chauvinism, as some have claimed. The zebras live along the eastern coasts and on many of the islands in the Zebrican Ocean, and are likely the most civilized and definitely the most cosmopolitan of the continent's many peoples. The great cities of Neighrobi, Mareputo and Zebrabwe, as well as the spice isles of Zanzebrar, are bustling hubs of trade and learning, and zebra sailors ply the coasts of Zebrica and further east to Hind and Qilin.

Nomadic antelopes travel the great broad savannas in great herd-caravans, moving with the seasons and living off the land. They have trade relations with both the okapi of the central rain forests and the coastal zebras, but preferring to maintain their independence of both the okapi mage-priests and the zebra queens and merchant princes. Giraffes wander through the same lands, but unlike the antelopes they live in small family groups or even alone, trusting their gentle reputation, giant size and great speed to shield them from trouble. They occasionally hire out as construction workers, taking advantage of their great height.

The already-mentioned okapi live in the central rainforests. They are shy and elusive, with magic that lets them stay unnoticed and hide from prying eyes. Their society is said to be ruled by mage-priests dwelling on the most inaccessible plateaus rising from the jungle, who are claimed to know a lot of arcane lore and to wield mighty magics. Equestrian mages, Dromedarian sorcerers and zebra shamans alike have been repeatedly frustrated in their attempts to learn more, and freak winds and sudden storms discourage even the best fliers from approaching these cloud-shrouded heights.

The western mountains are home to dragons, who are the same the world over: greedy, arrogant and territorial, rich in both ancient wisdom and jewels. If anything, they are even more stand-offish than the dragons near Equestria, no doubt because of the prying habits of their western neighbors. Rumors claim that the Great Dragon Queen dwells here in the heart of a slumbering volcano, her hoard beyond the dreams of avarice and containing some of the most fabulous gems in the whole world.

The west coast is populated by a motley mix of people from all across Zebrica and beyond: zebra mariners and kelp-farmers, camel traders and crafters, griffons claiming descent from an ancient mercenary company driven south from Saddle Arabia, ponies and donkeys and mules, and more. Treasure-seekers of all sort abound here, looking for the great pearls found in the sea, panning for gold or diamonds in the rivers flowing from the mountains, or even hoping to find an unguarded dragon hoard to raid.

I've always loved this picture and would like to believe somewhere on Zebrica is some high-up misty steampunk junction.

SOURCE

The western mountains are home to dragons

So, Zebrica's located southeast of Equestria?

Yup. I take the position that the world of Equestria is a ponified fantasy version of the real world, so there's a griffon "Europe", Saddle Arabia is south and east of that, and Zebrica is southeast of Equestria.

I would guess that Zebrica has changelings living there to feed on zebra love, as well as antelope and pony and camel minorities.

Well, I've been working on something.
Apart from the zebras, there are the antelope of Antelopia (Meant to be a play on Ethiopia but they're more like Ancient Egypt) that thrive in Zebrica.
Some of their cities include Oryxandria (The city of the great Neo-Antelopian Conqueror Oryxander the Great), Cowro (The city of Hathor the cow goddess of love...who has horns for some reason), Ramunaptra (Where the dead kings were buried), Hyracleopolis and Oxor.
But the most populated and multicultural city is Addax Ababa, the merchant city.
Antelopians worship Khnum, the ram-headed creator of the antelope with seven Deben (A unit of measurement approximate to 13.6 grams) of clay from the river Dile.
Seven is a lucky number to them, representing perfection, effectiveness and completeness. As such, the noble families that rule Antelopia (The Gazelles, the Impalas, the Oryx, the Sable, the Kudu, etr) will change hooves every seven generations to maintain fairness. This hasn't always worked as well as it should have but since the splitting of the Old Kingdom, any family that attempts to seize the throne between those seven generations is immediately declared usurper and exterminated with extreme prejudice.

I like to imagine a kingdom of sapient hippos in Zebrica. Like the yaks, they have been very warlike in the past and still see themselves as a nation of warriors, even though they now see more advantages to remaining at peace with their neighbours.

Sapient crocodiles are a possibility, living in and controlling the large rivers.

To be honest, I've sometimes chafed at the strict ethno-nationalism seen in-show, so given how they don't seem to be interested in featuring zebras beyond Zecora, i'm going to go bold and suggest they don't actually have their own national homeland. Rather, like most of their neighbour races, they can be found in all the kingdoms of the South* to some degree. Some of these have zebra majorities, and some have zebra rulers, but those that have tried to make anything that could be called "Zebrica" - often inspired by selective interpretation of Equestria - are not remembered well by history.

*My headcanon map, which predates any official one, places Equestria and all it's neighbours on the northern of two supercontinents - all "faraway and exotic" things come from the southern one.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12