Colorado Authors 53 members · 328 stories
Comments ( 4 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 4

I'm currently doing an argumentation essay for English class. I picked a less serious and more personal topic so I can get into my writing and write about my belief in a passionate manner. The topic I have chosen is "Reading fanfiction is just as, if not better, then reading published books." My outline for this essay is pretty strong and straight forward, though I need to add quotations. I would also like to know other people's thinking of this argument. I would love to hear your thoughts and prospective's. This being said, I would greatly appreciate it if you would allow me to quote some of you to put in my essay. I eagerly await your thoughts! :pinkiehappy: :raritystarry:

With fanfiction, you're taking more of a gamble on Sturgeon's Law, in my experience. This isn't to say that the formal publishing process filters out all the crud -- it doesn't, which is why the 90/10 ratio applies -- but with fanfiction, the bad stuff is more readily available and can sometimes be worse in overall quality.

That's my two cents. Quote me if you like; I'll even give you my real name (first name and last initial, anyway) if that makes it better for you. Or, if you prefer, mention that someone brought up the idea of Sturgeon's Law and you were sure he had no idea what he was talking about. Whatever. (I think you meant "perspectives", though.)

Well, in my opinion, I think that reading fanfictions are just as good as published works but reader perspectives vary based on their interests and how well written/received the story is in the general public.

bats
Group Admin

Relevant link: All Fiction is Fanfiction

In regards to the argument that it's better than reading published books, you're gonna have a hard time finding supporting evidence that isn't just opinion. It's much easier to argue the topic that there is no distinction to be made between fiction and fanfiction. Supporting evidence includes the multitude of works published using older characters (such as Sherlock Holmes, Wizard of Oz characters, Cthulu mythos characters, and many others). Additionally, any specific type of character could be considered fanfiction, such as vampire stories being fanfiction for Dracula (technically Das Vampyr, but whatever), prodigal hero stories being fanfiction for The Odyssey, etc.

Lastly, the argument can be made that original characters are 'fan' works of humanity itself. Stories based on personal experience are fanfiction, older stories, are fanfiction, made up whole cloth are fanfiction about the human condition. If it's all fanfiction, reading about ponies is no different than reading something by Cormac McCarthy.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 4