MoonLight 848 members · 76 stories
Comments ( 804 )
  • Viewing 651 - 700 of 804

Another Christmas spent in a drunken haze while the rest of my family pretends to like each other successfully complete!

Merry Christmas, everyone!

Disclaimer: If you know an author with a prompt that has lapsed (i.e., they have had no recent activity on the MoonLight forum), let them know if you talk to them that they have a prompt claimed, and they may either renew their claim or relinquish it.

Updated 2015-01-08: Macho Madness has dropped all held prompts.
Updated 2015-01-12: Eidolon, Art taken.

All Prompt Stories Published under Full Moon Fever in Publishing Order
1 Armor by TheWraithWriter
2 Slowly by ArguingPizza
3 Lotion by Habanc
4 Balcony by Knight of Lycaeus
5 Grumpy by ultra1437
6 Kitten by Knight of Lycaeus
7 Onyx by lyra_lover777
8 Rose by ShinyMoon
9 Hammer by Knight of Lycaeus
10 Recalcitrant by ShinyMoon
11 Dictionary by Toratchi888
12 Runes by Pearple Prose
13 Hammer 2 by lyra_lover777
14 Sweet by Toratchi888
15 Research by Fuzzyfurvert
16 Advantageous by Kean
17 Chase by lyra_lover777
18 Structure by lyra_lover777
19 Structure 2 by Macho Madness
20 Bombardier by Toratchi888
21 Mercy by Knight of Lycaeus
22 Mirage by lyra_lover777
23 Tumultuous by Toratchi888
24 Onyx 2 by TheMusicalBoy93
25 Disparity by lyra_lover777
26 Melt by hockeygoalie1992
27 Raven by Knight of Lycaeus
28 Nightmares by lyra_lover777
29 Provocation by Kean
30 Wrath (7DS) by Myrandall
31 Pride/Hubris (7DS) by Macho Madness
32 Gluttony (7DS) by Toratchi888
33 Envy (7DS) by Knight of Lycaeus
34 Sloth (7DS) by Habanc
35 Greed/Avarice (7DS) by Kean
36 Lust (7DS) by TheLastBrunnenG
37 Fangs by Toratchi888
38 Trickery by Toratchi888
39 Subterfuge by Toratchi888
40 Mask by lyra_lover777
41 Rapture by Toratchi888
42 Eternity by Knight of Lycaeus
43 Jaded by lyra_lover777
44 Blood by SeanoftheDead
45 Ensorcellment by lyra_lover777
46 Hurricane by Starfall13
47 Serf by lyra_lover777
48 Dangerous by SeanofTheDead
49 Help by Toratchi888
50 Dat Ass/Asinine by Toratchi888
51 Insipid by lyra_lover777
52 Hail and Farewell {ave atque vale} by Knight of Lycaeus
53 Adorable by Toratchi888
54 Trollestia by SeanoftheDead
55 Impoverished by lyra_lover777
56 Fire by KibaWR
57 Cupcakes by Kean
58 Shame by Fuzzyfurvert
59 Fall of the Sun, Rise of the Moon by superpony55 (prompts Color, Games, and Song)
60 Comfort by Knight of Lycaeus
61 Confectionery by SeanofTheDead
62 Precocious by ultra1437
63 Science by Knight of Lycaeus
64 Pool by Kean
65 Dissident by Knight of Lycaeus
66 Dark by Kean [part 1 of “Broken”]
67 First Among Equals {primus inter pares} by Toratchi888
68 Astromancy by Toratchi888
69 Ocean’s End by Knight of Lycaeus
70 Death by Kean [part 2 of “Broken”]
71 Alcohol by Draven Eclipse
72 Astonishment by Kean [part 3 of “Broken”]
73 Crazy by Kean
74 [I See Stars] {I See Fire} by Toratchi888
75 Persecution by Knight of Lycaeus
76 Frozen by Kean

Prompts Awaiting Publication
Eidolon by auramane
Carpe Noctem by Kean

Prompts Otherwise Claimed (Please Review)
Prank: lyra_lover777
Tasty Murder: SeanoftheDead + Foals Errand + ???
Winter by Toratchi888
Damocles by Draven Eclipse
Art by ZOMG

Prompts With No Recent Activity (please review claims)
Runes 2: darthrex
Date: Foals Errand
Forgiveness: Foals Errand
Revolution: Myrandall
Hazard: Fuzzyfurvert
Judicious: Midnight herald
Pool (2): palaikai

All Open Prompts (please review claims)
Audacious
Birth
Conversion Bureau
Dressage
Passion
Squirrels
Sweet
Turkey

Have the flu soon as i'm better i'll have date ready.

Since I'll probably be far too out of it to remember later, Happy New Year, everyone!

So, I must live under a rock, 'cuz apparently we've got MoonLight 2.0 now.
I guess it's sexier, or something, and all we heathens better skitter over to the new hotness.
Or something.

It's new. Like hours to days new, from what I can tell. Of course, I've been pretty much dead since New Years, so I could be wrong. Soaring might be asking for control of this group instead, though. idk, I'll just go back to being dead.

3945878 Don't die, Kean; you should want to live!

Oh no, I want to be alive.
Things are just conspiring to keep me dead.

3947385 I hate things sometimes.
And stuff.
Stuff and nonsense.
...this is all getting rather silly.
...'scuse me... *pulls emergency brake"
Can't be derailing the thread too much; promise I wouldn't. :pinkiegasp:

Claiming Carpe Noctem.
Let's see if the stars align and allow me more than five minutes to myself :facehoof:

3925587 im pretty certain i posted i was dropping my prompts, but if not, im dropping all my prompts.

I alive.

HAPPY NEW YEAR A WEEK LATE BUT IT STILL COUNTS I SWEAR IT DOES!

Posted "Frozen". I think that clears out the queue of completed prompts.

3954139 Well, we're double-sure now. I will acknowledge this in the prompt list.
Thank you kindly for your trouble. Happy New Year!

Taking Eidolon

Eidolon

Twilight ’s head hung low as she numbly made her way through her cell door at the gesture of a guard. She stood just inside the doorway, not moving until she heard the metallic clang of the door swinging shut. Soon afterwards, the hollow clicking sound of the guard’s horseshoes faded into the distance.

Doors thrown open. Walking, eyes to the ground, being directed by her guard. A command, telling him to leave. His swift departure. An order to look up. The green tinged eyes. The slitted pupils.

She took a deep, shuddering breath, and plodded over to her cot. It was little more than a slab of wood with sheets on it, but it was better than the stone floor. She laid down on it and squeezed her eyes shut, trying to forget what had just transpired.

Sharp teeth. Talking. Directions. Laughter.

She hiccuped, burying her face into her covers. It wasn’t fair. Nothing was fair.

She was sobbing, tears streaming down her face. Laughter becoming a roar.

A bright light shone through Twilight’s sheets, through her closed eyelids. She winced, remaining quiet. She expected to hear her door opening, the empty sound of armoured shoes hitting the floor, but none of that came. Instead, she heard a voice she had never expected to hear again.

Blurred vision. More laughter. She was shaking. A pointing hoof. The flick of a tail. A bed.

“Twilight, is that you? came the questioning voice of her former mentor. The one who had picked her to be her student when she was a child. The one who had always stood by her. The one who had promised to save them all.

The one who had failed.

Fear and disgust welling up inside her. Mouth dry. Ears pinned to her head. Running. Caught. She was always caught.

She peaked her head out from her covers, her frozen in place. She gaped at the Apparition before her, unable to say anything, unable to do anything.

More laughter. A blur of movement. Blinding pain. Sobbing. A Bed.

Twilight simply stared numbly. What stood before her wasn’t Celestia. It was a poor imitation at best. She was small, the height of a regular pony. She glowed with a soft, golden light, almost like sunlight.

It had been a long while since she had seen sunlight.

Tears. Wailing. Screaming. Orders. Pain. A Bed.

“Twilight,” said not-Celestia with a sigh of relief. “Oh, my student. You are alive. I don’t believe it. After I failed... I didn’t know what would happen to you.”

Twilight remained silent. She stared at the Apparition, scanning for any imperfections, anything that was out of place.

Black. A tail. A moon. Soft. A Bed.

“Can... can you talk? What did she do to you? Twilight!”

Her voice grew in volume, but Twilight simply stared. She couldn’t find anything. Nothing was wrong. It was a picture perfect Celestia.

Sweating. Eyes squeezing shut. Groaning. Light.

"Is it actually you?" murmured Twilight. Celestia smiled, relief playing across her face. She opened her mouth as if to reply, but before she could begin, Twilight continued, "How can you be here? I—I watched you fall. She knocked you out of ths sky! You can't be here!"

Hot. Crumpled sheets. Panting. Sticky.

Celestia winced, and opened her mouth again, trying to speak. Twilight cut her off. "No! You can't be here! If you're here, y-you should have been able to do something. You should have been able to do anything…" Twilight trailed off, looking at the ground. She clenched her jaw and squeezed her eyes shut once again.

Laboured breathing. Gritting teeth. Pressure. Subjugation.

"Twilight, I—" began the Spectre, before she cut herself off. There was an uncomfortable pause between them for a few seconds. Neither moved. After what felt like hours, the Spectre spoke up again. "This wasn't how it was supposed to happen…" She hung her head in an eerie mirror of Twilight herself. "It just… I couldn't…" Her teeth ground against each other, and she squeezed her eyes closed. After a few moments of silence, she let out a hollow chuckle.

"I can't even cry anymore."

Exhausting. Humiliating. Purring. Sobbing. Leaving. The Guard is approaching. Picking her up.

Silence reigned between them again, neither willing to look at the other. Eventually, Twilight spoke again. "You should leave," she said. There was no emotion in her voice, no sadness, no anger.

Nothing.

Celestia flinched. Twilight continued. "It's not like you can do anything. If you could, you would. I'm stuck here. There's no point in her finding you here."

Celestia gaped at her. She shook her head. "No, I won't leave y—"

"Just go!" yelled Twilight, slamming the ground with her hoof. She turned away and stormed back to her cot, facing away from the Apparition.

Nothing happened for a few seconds. Twilight was about to turn back to her, when she heard a choked sob, and the unnatural light left her cell.

She curled up beneath her covers. She should be crying right now. Instead she just felt numb. Bereft. Empty.

Cold.

Next Prompt: Art

3966684 Welcome. May your prompts be fruitful. :twilightsmile:

I think this works

Carpe Noctem:

Twilight groaned, blinking white spots from her eyes. Even through her eyelids, the magic released from the Elements had been nearly blinding. Looking over her shoulder, she winced at the long gouge in her right side, torn by Nightmare Moon’s horn.

Not the smartest idea, charging at a mad goddess, She thought, sighing inwardly at the blood running from the wound. Should’ve teleported sooner. Can’t be helped now. Need to get this fixed up. Maybe one of them knows…

Twilight’s thoughts trailed off as she looked to the five ponies behind her, suspended in the air, moving slowly. Each of their elements were still glowing brightly, pulsing as they fed more magic into the spell.

A growl and the sound of rattling chains brought her attention back to where Nightmare Moon had been standing before the elements had been unleashed. In her place, a black mist, barely contained in the shape of a pony writhed, thrashing against rune-inscribed chains that bound it to the floor.

Slowly, cautiously she approached the form, vision wavering and breath shallow. She glanced back at her wound which was still bleeding profusely and, with a grunt, continued staggering toward the writhing mist.

She’s fighting the elements… She lit her horn, forming the framework for a simple, yet powerful bolt of magic. I’ll go into shock before they finish on their own, maybe even bleed out…

At the sound of a loud clop, the consequence of catching herself after stumbling, Nightmare Moon’s head snapped to face her, her draconic eyes thinning as they focused on her.

“Kill me if you desire, but my soul will no longer be tarnished by you wretched ponies.” Her voice, disjointed from her lips, was hoarse and low, cold and angry, yet still full of prideful arrogance.

Twilight stared at her for a few moments before replying, her voice labored. “I don’t want to kill you… hate me if you want… but I don’t want to die, either.” She fell to one knee, barely catching herself from fainting.

Nightmare laughed, taunting Twilight as the magic around her horn faded. “I will take solace in knowing that the one who defeated me will die before me, at least.”

Twilight was silent for a while, only the sound of her panting indicating that she was still alive. She broke the silence with a chuckle and a small shake of her head. “Do you still want to live, Nightmare?” She asked, her voice subdued.

Nightmare growled as another pulse came from the elements, pulling the chains tighter against her form, seemingly siphoning the mist as it flowed off her. “Speak if you have some way out of this, girl,” Nightmare hissed.

“A pact,” Twilight said quietly, simply.

Nightmare chuckled. “And what makes you believe you are worthy of performing such a long forgotten, sacred act with one such as myself?”

“Worthy or not, I don’t want to die… and neither do you. Either swallow your pride… or we both die here.”

“A pact or death?” Nightmare mused.

“Pact or death.”

“Surely, since you know of the act, then you know that it always comes at a cost,” Nightmare said, a sadistic mirth rising in her voice. “I will be bound to you, of course, but what will be taken from you, I wonder?”

Twilight ignored the taunt, instead raising her head to look into Nightmare’s eyes. “Your answer, Nightmare. A pact or death?”

The bound Alicorn stared back, eyes stern. Slowly, she nodded in resignation. “Very well, a pact shall be made.”

With that, Twilight closed her eyes and turned her magic inward, delving deep inside herself in search of what some unicorns called their spark, essence, their center of power, even their soul. What it was called didn’t matter to her; it was the only thing that would keep her alive. So she clutched it in her magic like a dragon would a boulder made of pure gold and pulled.

She groaned and finally dropped onto her other knee as she felt the energy leave her. She moved her own magic toward Nightmare’s. It wasn’t hard to find. Even being bound and drained by the elements, the amount of magic she was putting out was impossible to miss. She hesitated at the last moment, pulling away.

“Why do you delay, little pony? Are you afraid? Do you desire death?” Nightmare growled.

“I read once… s-swear… t-to me that you won’t take anything… that you won’t… t-try to take over,” Twilight rasped, panting.

“Clever,” Nightmare chuckled. “Very well, I will not-“

“Swear it!”

“I swear on my life, my magic, my very being, I will take no more than what is offered – ” Twilight shuddered as she felt Nightmare’s essence envelope her own, overpowering her as Nightmare continued to speak, her voice never losing any of its spite. “ – enforced by the Old Gods and under penalty of death, I bind myself to this pony, my pact-partner.” Nightmare’s power receded as the two merged, balancing with Twilight’s. “Their pain will be my own and mine, theirs. As they fall, so too shall we.” Twilight gasped and rose to her hooves as her vitality returned. “Their strength and magic will be my own and mine, theirs. As they rise, so too shall we.”

Twilight felt through her new connection to Nightmare, blocking out the rest of the goddess’s intonement. The Elements hadn’t stopped draining her. They wouldn’t until she was no more; a problem now that she was bound to Nightmare.

She controls the moon and even she can’t overpower them. The moon…

“What are you doing? Free me or we both die, foal!” Nightmare shouted, thrashing against the chains once again.

Twilight ignored her, muttering to herself, “The sun is magic, right? Areas where sunlight has been focused, either by Celestia or other magical means are generally filled with raw, unstable magic...” She ran through her connection with Nightmare again, latching on to her connection to the moon. Another connection gave her pause, fighting for control, but she overpowered it, and seized control of the night. “The moon is always in raw sunlight, unfiltered by any atmosphere.

“Nightmare, I’m sorry, but this is probably going to hurt. A lot.”

“What are you-“ Nightmare’s question was cut off as she screamed and her world went white.

Twilight stared directly, unblinking, at the moonlight – she’d read it called moonfire once. An apt name, she thought – with a small grin. She could feel the heat burning Nightmare through their connection. It would hurt, but as most of it was directed at the chains binding her, it wouldn’t kill her or even damage her physically.

Barely counts as revenge for the situation she put me in, She thought with a chuckle.

She turned at the sound of five sets of hooves clopping against the ground, then turned back to Nightmare and cut her connection to the moon when she felt the last of the resistance fade. Pulling her magic back, she paused at the power that had been fighting her and cut it loose, unbinding it from Nightmare Moon.

Twilight only stared ahead when she heard Nightmare approaching. She only blinked as she felt the growling mare’s breath on her face. She grinned at Nightmare’s sigh. “You are a fool, pony,” Nightmare said, voice subdued.

Twilight shrugged. “Better to be alive and a fool than dead and a genius, right?”

With silence reigning for a few moments, Twilight listened to the sounds of the six ponies – five behind her and one behind Nightmare – in the room, each at varying degrees of recovery. Nightmare spoke again, voice still low. “The transference of my magic released the seal on Celestia. She will be here shortly.”

“And she’ll be here for sure, for Luna. We should go.”

“I will need to remember to keep you from my memories from you in the future. You wish to leave?”

“I just… want a little more time to deal with this –” Twilight gestured to her face. “ – before seeing her again. She won’t be happy with our… arrangement. Or the consequences of it, I think.”

“And she will know where to find you?” Nightmare asked, turning her with a wing, guiding her.

Twilight chuckled. “There’s only maybe three – no, four places I’d go to. Only one I can reliably get to from here. And besides, “Twilight snickered.” Fluttershy’s awake already.” A small squeak. “Irregular breathing. Tell Celestia I’m at the Library, okay?”

Building the framework for a teleport, she elbowed Nightmare. “Guide me. I don’t want to end up inside a tree after all of that.”

I don't know. I found some time and squandered by watching the Drakengard cut scenes instead of writing my original idea. Then nostalgia'd hard and decided I wanted to do something with Drakengard. Not necessarily a crossover, but taking an idea from it and playing with it. Then I realized there isn't much in that game that could be considered "teen" (Unapologetic massacring for the sake of massacring, pedophiles, and androgynous flying killer babies, to name a few reasons.). So I went with the pact-beast idea. Again, I'm not sure if it works for the prompt, but there it is.

Admittedly, I went for a more literal "Seizing of the Night". :facehoof:

Word Count:1,433
New prompt: Sour

One day - and I don't know when - I will write out a prompt that doesn't involve one or both of them getting hurt.:facehoof:

Wonderful. Welcome!

3967241 Very nice, well-constructed dark without spelling everything out, and an interesting AU besides

3925587 Claiming "art". How's everyone feel about a bit of Twilight's mindset as she succumbs to Nightmare Moon's advances? :moustache:

3969669 That'll happen sometimes. :applejackconfused:

3969747 I know. I wrote one a while back that played on that starting while I was hockeygoaliesomethingorother

3969751 Has your Crystal Twilight levelled up yet? :ajsmug:

3968636 3968966 3968052

Thank you. Hope to be submitting some more things at some point, glad you enjoyed it.

Taking Audacious. Not sure if this idea is entirely valid, but we'll see.

3986141 I don't know what an "invalid" MoonLight idea would look like, so I guess drive on.

I mean its connection to the prompt is rather tenuous

3986328 Meh. Brunnen said before, different prompts mean different things to different people.
He's the boss; I'm just a lackey.

Would you like to borrow my golden shoe-horn? It's seen a fair bit of use, but it still works nicely. :rainbowlaugh:

LackeyLackey.

888's correct, it'd be a challenge to write something so off-base that it'd get the boot.

No, that's not a dare!

3991538 This is me not derailing this thread...

Resnagging Pool.

Prompt: Pool.

(Kinda want to turn this into a series.)

Salt Block Saloon was one of those places that you went to after you'd been thrown out of or barred from everywhere else in town; it was dank, it was dingy, and the drinks were better for burning a hole in your stomach lining than quenching your thirst. The Wild West décor wasn't my thing either. Of course, you could be forgiven for being a mite jumpy with a blunderbuss – loaded or not – in grabbing distance of every nutcase this side of Ghastly Gorge.
The batwing doors flapped open gingerly – or at least, the person entering the bar was doing so very gingerly – and we recoiled instinctively from the shards of sunlight that probed deeply into our beloved darkness; it wasn't so much the light itself that we were reacting to, though that was certainly irritant enough to those of who were habitual creatures of the night, but the depressing revelation we were being made to face: it was early afternoon, it was a beautiful day out, and we were doing our level best to blot out that reality and replace it with a drunken haze.
A girl approached and took the empty stool next to me; she was young, fresh-faced, and my eyebrow raised in interest as my gaze swept her entire petite frame in record time. No, that sort of interest. Well, not entirely, though that mauve skirt and teal blouse accentuated a rather slim, attractive figure. I'm suddenly aware that, with my raven hair and monastral dress, I probably look like I'm on my way to the grimmest, Gothest rave ever.
She didn't look the sort to frequent this type of establishment; she sat rather formally, square-shouldered and straight-backed, and her mulberry eyes, so naturally inquisitive-looking, were studiously avoiding making contact with anyone or anything. Not even the barkeep attempting to take her order. Can't blame her, considering the clientèle this place attracted.
“Cider, please,” she said in a cultured accent that sounded familiar to me, but one that I hadn't had the pleasure of hearing in a long time. My drink-fuelled mind tried to join the dots, but … well, it was exactly like trying to join the dots after you'd spent most of the day pouring colourless, volatile liquids into your body in an attempt to blot out every mistake you'd made.
“I'll get that,” I said to the barkeep, throwing a couple of gold coins onto the counter, while flashing the girl an insouciant grin who merely frowned at me in response. “You're not from around here, are you, new girl?” What can I say? Even when you're half-sozzled, some people just inspire you to bring your A-Game.
“No,” she replied, taking a small sip of her cider and, I guessed from the upward quirk of her lips and slight incline of her head, finding it acceptable. This far from Apple Country, no one orders cider; I'm surprised they even have it in stock here, and to be honest, I find it surprising anyone wants to order it. Horrible, gloopy, sugary stuff. Give me a sharp, charcoal-filtered creamy vodka any day of the week.
Most days of the week.
Okay, every day of the week. Give me a break. I'm bored and lonely.
“So.” That's as far as I get before my brain decides to go AWOL, possibly in the direction of the clacking balls of the pool table behind us; I never have a problem starting a conversation normally, but this girl with indigo hair, streaked through with pink and purple, is making it difficult for me to find the words. Is it the fact that she looks so innocent, but is trying not to show it? Like a young girl forced into the role of a woman? I wonder if she's even old enough to be in here. It's not the kind of place that pays much heed to crazy notions like age-appropriateness, nor have I ever heard of anyone being asked for identification in all the long years I've been coming here.
How many years is it now? Feels like a frickin' thousand of them at this stage. Exile's no fun, let me tell you.
I bring out the big guns. “My name's Nightmare Moon. What's yours?”
“Twilight Sparkle,” she said. She hesitates for a moment before extending a lean, purple hand in my direction. “Nice to meet you, Miss Moon.”
I stifle a slobbering, drunken laugh while taking her hand in my own. “Miss Moon is my mother. Most people 'round these parts call me Moony. They find Nightmare Moon to be a bit of a mouthful, especially after a few mouthfuls, if you know what I mean?”
“I can imagine,” Twilight Sparkle said, quickly taking in the diverse array of patrons drowning their sorrows at the bar, the ghost of a smile flashing across her delicate, youthful face. “Nice to meet you … Moony.”
“What brings you out this way? All the way from … Canterlot?”
“Work.” She takes a sip of her drink.
I'm starting to think that this girl isn't in the mood to be hit on by some random, older stranger in a bar. But then, why would she be in here in the first place? No one loves cider that much. “Work, huh? What do you do for a living?”
Her upper lip twitches slightly and her shoulders sag ever so slightly.
“Forget I asked,” I said, deciding to cut my losses. She isn't that cute, anyway, though I'm a trifle irked at the money I've just wasted.
“I'm here to see you,” said Twilight Sparkle, running a hand through her hair and turning her head in my direction for perhaps the first time in the conversation. “I'm filling in for Luna at Canterlot High School while she's on sabbatical, and Celestia thought it might be time for you to return in order to ease some of the burden we're under.”
“What happened to Luna?” I asked, my face contorting into a frown. I'd barely thought about my two sisters since they'd kicked me out of CHS when they'd finally got sick of my loutish behaviour. I'd been scraping a living as a part-time tutor out here in the boondocks, not expecting to ever hear from them again. And now, Celestia herself had sent this perky young thing to rescue me? I was almost flattered. Did she think I would be enticed more by the offer coming from Twilight Sparkle in person rather than a simple 'phone call? Oh, sweet Celestia, you know me too well.
“She, uh.” It was clear that Twilight Sparkle was fishing around for her best diplomatic tone. “The stress has been getting to her a lot lately, and she had a bit of a nervous breakdown after, um, an incident involving an exchange student. She's out of the hospital, though, and recovering well at home, but it'll still be months before she can be declared fit enough to return to work.”
“Huh.” I wasn't sure what I was feeling. It was no secret that I'd always been jealous of my more popular sisters, and truth be told I'd thought plenty of times how wonderful it would be if they were out of the way and I could run the school the way I wanted to. Now that something was up with Luna, I was possibly feeling a little bit … sad? Guilty? Like I was somehow responsible, stupid as that idea was? That, if I'd been there sharing the hardship, my dear little sister wouldn't have cracked?
“Are you all right?”
It surprised me how warm and wet her eyes had become at that moment. Twilight Sparkle wasn't just being polite, she actually did care about people, even complete strangers. I felt a knot blossom in my stomach, my body's way of letting me know when I'd been a jerk; my clumsy pick-up attempts just felt crass in the face of all this now, and as surely as I know anything I knew that the girl was way out of my league.
Still.
If I accepted my sweet sister's offer, I'd be working alongside Miss Sparkle every day and I'd get the chance to lower her to my level. “I'm fine,” I finally said, slamming my glass down on the moist bar top. “So. When do we leave?”
“Are you sure you don't want to take a couple of days to think about it? I mean, it's probably a lot to take in,” said Twilight Sparkle.
My eyes quickly roved over Twilight Sparkle's lithe form once more. “Oh, I've definitely made up my mind.”

New prompt: Cheesecake.

Note: Luna's breakdown was first referenced in this prompt of mine from the Twi/Chrys collab. I dunno if we're allowed to do sequels to stories from other prompts. It's not necessary to have read that one, of course, but I found it kinda amusing to mesh the two together.

Now, you say it's not a challenge, but by saying that, you make it seem like a challenge.

Getting mixed signals here, boss. :trollestia:

3992349 if you plan on making this a series, I'll start construction on the bandwagon

It worked so well for Daisies. :trollestia:

Audacious

Sequel to Eidolon

Twilight lay alone on the cold stone ground. Her breathing was ragged. She didn’t know how longs she had been lying there.

Everything hurt.

Thrown through the door. Fire burning in the hearth. Warm.

She shivered, her mane in disarray about her head. This wasn’t her usual cell. It was darker, somehow. She squeezed her eyes shut, biting her lip. Her back felt like it was on fire, lines of pain running across it in every direction.

Half-lidded green eyes. Familiar. A smirk.

Hissing in pain, she pushed herself to her feet. Her legs throbbed, and the pain in her back reached new heights. Scabs that had just started to form cracked, causing new blood to trickle out. She shook on her feet but remained standing. Her eyes cracked open and looked around the room, squinting in the darkness. It was completely bare, save for a small wooden pallet and a blanket.

Flickering shadows. Hunger. Lying down. A bed.

She hobbled over to the small pallet and collapsed onto it. It was rough. It creaked and groaned beneath her. She didn’t care about that.

Crumpled sheets. Laboured breathing. Disgust.

She feebly pulled the blankets over herself, shivering once again in the frigid air. She panted loudly, fighting to stay conscious. Her eyelids were heavy.

Bitter. Detached. Mechanical.

She trembled beneath the blanket, teeth clenched and eyes wide open. Anything to stay awake.

Fake.

She didn’t regret what she had done. She wasn’t glad she had done it either. She was numb. Numb from the pain. Numb from the encounters. Her eyelids were becoming heavier. She shook her head, trying to wake herself up.

Long. Longer than usual. Tiring. Panting breaths. Sweat.

It was probably a mistake. She didn’t even know how she had got here. She had been delirious with pain when the guards had left her here.

Anger. Hopelessness. Despair.

She was so tired.

A bite.

Just as her eyes were fluttering closed, a piercing, bright light shone through them. She started, and then hissed, first in surprise, then in pain from the sudden movement. She was there. Again.

The failure.

Screaming. A metallic taste. Red. Flying. A wall. Pain.

The two stared at each other from across the confines of the cell. The Spectre glowed brightly with a strange light, her expression one of immeasurable sadness.

“Oh, Twilight...” she murmured.

Twilight didn’t respond immediately. Silence hung between them.

Guards grabbing her. Yelling. Threats. Screaming. Green eyes. Betrayal.

“I thought I told you to leave,” whispered Twilight, still lying curled up under her sheet.

The Spectre’s ears flattened to her head and she shuffled her hooves. After a moment’s pause, she slowly replied, “Twilight, I... I couldn’t leave you here alone.”

She snorted. “Could have fooled me.”

The Spectre winced. “You were angry at me. I thought that if you knew, you wo—“

“I would what? Shout at you some more? Oh, give me a break, you are dead!” Twilight closed her eyes and took a deep breath. After a few seconds of silence, she opened them again, and stared directly into the Spectre’s eyes. “So you didn’t leave. You stayed and watched me fall.” She paused. “Just like you I guess. Though a little slower, I suppose.”

Pain. Crying. Begging. Bargaining. Red.

The Spectre grit its teeth and looked down to the ground. Pushed herself off of the pallet and rose shakily to her hooves before continuing. “What, are you thinking that I’ll rise up and defeat the evil queen or something?” She laughed hollowly. “Sorry to get your hopes up.”

Slicing. Bruising. Slapping. Sobbing.

“I’m done,” she said, her voice empty. “I did what I did because I thought she might kill me. I’m as done as I can be. So why aren’t you?”

The Spectre said nothing, but simply winced, averting its eyes from Twilight’s abused form.

“Why are you still here?”

“Twilight, please—“

“Why are you still here?”

Being dragged through the halls. Handled roughly. Scraping against the floor.

The Spectre stood stock still, her lips pursed. It stared at Twilight, and she stared back. After
what felt like hours, it bowed its head, seeking to escape from Twilight’s gaze. “I thought... I hoped...”

“Hoped?” asked Twilight. “What, was I right? You thought I was going to lead some kind of rebellion or something? I mean, I suppose I did just hurt her, but I did that so she would kill me. I’m not fighting to free everyone.”

At the mention of killing, the Spectre flinched again. Twilight giggled. “What? Shocked? I don’t blame you, I probably would be too. No way to tell, but I’m at least ninety-five percent sure that I’ve snapped at this point and you’re just a hallucination.”

Rattling keys. Creaking hinges.

She stomped her hoof against the ground, her eyes watering in pain. “I just... don’t want to be here anymore...”

Twilight opened her mouth again as if to continue, but no sound came out. She looked around helplessly for a few seconds before she simply slumped back down onto her pallet.

The Spectre stepped forward, making for Twilight. It had taken two steps when she had suddenly looked up at it. Her eyes, filled with anger, with pain, with helplessness. It paused, biting its lip. Slowly, it hung its head and turned away from Twilight.

Twilight did nothing, simply stayed slumped on her makeshift bed.

Being thrown inside. Crashing against the unforgiving stone. The door locking behind her.

Still facing away from her, the Spectre spoke again. “She won’t... she won’t kill you.”

Twilight looked up at it slowly. “What?”

“She won’t,” continued the the Spectre. “She can’t. She’s... obsessed with you, Twilight. I don’t think she can let you go.”

Twilight sat up straighter, wincing in pain. “Stop!” she called out weakly. “What are you saying?”

“Goodbye, Twilight,” whispered the Spectre. It turned back to her and smiled wryly, its eyes filled with sadness. “You’ve been so brave...”

And then she was gone.

Alone.

Next Prompt: Cold

Golden shoehorn would be nice. It works I think? Meh.

Well, I'm afraid I only lend my shoehorn out to those who need it. You certainly don't.

I however, might.
Claiming Cold.

Cold
Sequel to Carpe Noctem

“Are you alright?” Twilight asked quietly, eyes closed and pawed softly at the mattress beneath her. “I meant to ask before we left, or on the way, but I just wanted to get out of there as quickly as possible.”

She turned to the sound of Nightmare Moon’s magic and the rustling of her wings. A few moments passed before Nightmare Moon spoke with a sigh. “The Elements have left their mark upon me, but other than that, I am physically fine.”

“Their ‘mark’?” Twilight cocked her head. “I don’t understand. Are you hurt?”

“No.” Another sigh accompanied another rustle of wings. “Where the chains laid upon me, the fur has become… discolored. White. No magic that I have attempted will restore it, nor has shifting my form. It is purely aesthetic and thus, I am fine.” She chuckled. “It is a small price to pay to cheat death. Yours, though… you do not seem bothered much by your loss.”

“I-” Twilight turned away and laid her head on her forelegs. “It just hasn’t hit me yet, I guess. I’ve been keeping my mind busy, trying not to think about it.” She chuckled. Even to her own ears, it sounded empty. “I mean, of the pacts I’ve read about, ponies have had limbs, organs, their voice, their mind, even their magic taken from them. Compared to them, I’d say I got off easy… right?” She let out a short, dry laugh at Nightmare Moon’s silence. “I-“

“Twilight, are you up here?”

Twilight turned her head toward the sound of Celestia’s voice, the sound of her hoofshoes alerting her that the princess had reached the top of the stairs. She laid her head between her hooves, a feeling of dread welling up inside her.

“Your friends had told me that you were hurt and had left with Nightmare Moon.” Celestia’s voice was flat, even. “I am happy to see that the former is no longer the case, but why have you allied yourself with this monster, Twilight?”

Twilight shifted uncomfortably where she lay. “She’s not a monster. She might not be an upstanding pony, but she isn’t a monster, princess. And I’m with her because I had no other choice.”

“Do not attempt to dodge the question, Twilight, why are you with the creature that possessed my sister and drove her mad?”

Twilight felt her hackles rise as the dread in her stomach shifted to anger. She lifted her head and turned toward Celestia, staring at her through unseeing eyes. “I am with her because I did what I had to do to live, Princess,” Twilight growled as memories, no more than fleeting images, began to fill her thoughts.

She closed her eyes at the sound of Celestia’s gasp. “That mark… Twilight, you didn’t-“

Twilight continued, her voice low. “Nightmare Moon didn’t… she didn’t possess Luna. Luna… she was upset. Every time she tried to speak with you, you either ignored her or brushed her off, always putting matters of the state before her. When the two of you started seeing each other only at morning and dusk, she began to feel abandoned. She… “

“ She... loved you. She needed you. Not her advisors, not her guards, not her co-ruler. She needed you, Celestia, her sister. But you did nothing but brush her off time and time again.” Twilight spoke through gritted teeth. “In the end, she cried out into the night, and the night answered.” Twilight shuddered as she reigned in the anger building inside her.

“Imagine how it must have felt to have this creature she didn’t know, a creature that didn’t even know or have any obligation to her, offer her comfort when her own flesh and blood ignored her. Can you say with a straight face that you wouldn’t put your trust in someone like that?” Twilight sighed at Celestia’s silence.

“In the end, she asked for Nightmare Moon’s assistance, asked for her power. What was given by both was given freely. Was it foolish on their part? Maybe, but if you’re looking to place the blame, you hold as much of it as either of them.

“The three of you made mistakes, and maybe I made one too by making a pact with Nightmare Moon, but Luna is back now. You should go, Princess. Try to make amends with her.” Twilight lowered her head, laying it between her hooves which clenched the sheets, her body shaking both in anger and fear.

“I- I will not-“Twilight shuddered, hearing her mentor’s voice break before Nightmare Moon cut her off.

“Celestia, you know of the empathetic link between pact-partners. I suggest you to do as she says and go tend to your sister. I would also advise you to not tell Luna what you have learned from this Fool Pony. That information should have been kept even from her, but I am still adjusting and my mental block slipped.”

Silence reigned for a while, causing Twilight to raise her head in Celestia’s direction. Finally, Celestia broke the silence with a sigh. “Very well. Twilight, I will make arrangements for you to stay here as long as you want. Just… know that you will always be welcome back in the castle. I will keep in touch.”

“Princess?” She heard Celestia pause on the steps. “Would you take Spike with you? I don’t want him to have to go, but… I don’t know how well I can take care of him right now.”

Celestia breathed a sigh of relief, causing Twilight to cock her head to the side. “Of course,” Celestia said softly and continued down the stairs.

She turned toward Nightmare Moon as she approached the bed. “I did not mean for you to get upset. I am not used to keeping my emotions in check, away from another pony. But I must say, your reaction surprised me. After digging through your memories, I wouldn’t expect such vitriol toward anyone from you, let alone your mentor, your princess.”

Twilight slumped and moved to the head of the bed, lifting the cover with her magic. “As much as no one else gets to see or wants to admit it, she is also a pony. And my friend. Ponies are allowed to make mistakes, so long as they try to correct them… she told me that.”

She laid down, pulling the cover over her. “I didn’t say what I did out of hate or spite; I wanted her to know what she did and how she could avoid doing it again. Now, if you don’t mind, I’d like to get some sleep.”

“You did not strike me as one who slept during the day.”

“I’m sorry, but I’ve spent the better part of the last three days up worrying about your return, dealing with the Summer Sun Celebration, running around a forest, dealing with, well, you, and I just all but said that my mentor was as cold-hearted as she thought you were,” Twilight snapped back. “I am physically and mentally exhausted; I don’t think a bit of sleep is too much to ask.”

A chuckle and a gentle gust of air were soon followed by the sound of Nightmare Moon’s hoofsteps fading down the stairs.

--------------------------------------------------------

Hours later found Nightmare laying on a couch in the main room of the library, watching as yet another pony peered through a window, only to flee upon seeing her. It had been entertaining at first: A pony would enter the library, oblivious to her presence, before galloping right back out the door. The cries of terror had begun to grate on her nerves, so she’d barred the door. Which lead to more ponies looking in to investigate why the library was closed, which, in turn, lead to another fleeing in terror.

A vicious circle… Nightmare thought with a grin.

Her grin soon faded when a heavy weight settled in her chest, pulling her attention from the flight of the most recent pony. Sighing in recognition of the feeling, she rose from the couch and made toward the stairs. The feeling of overwhelming despair was something she had become well accustomed to.

It seems the realization has finally sunk in. Amazing that she was able to keep it at bay for so long.

Slowly, quietly, she ascended the stairs. Soft sobbing greeted her just outside the doorway to the bedroom. Sticking her head through the doorway, she saw Twilight lying with her head to the foot of the bed, a book held open between her forehooves. Even from the entrance, she could see Twilight’s clouded eyes desperately attempting to scan the pages as her magic turned them.

Rising on silent wings, she landed beside the bed. The twitch of an ear and the jerking of her head up from the tear stained book told Nightmare that she had heard her landing. Still, she didn’t turn toward her, instead bowing her head and choking back another sob. Nightmare sat on her haunches as Twilight began to speak.

“I… I can’t- nothing I’ve tried will let me see it. How am I supposed to read – how am I supposed to study magic if I can’t even see the damn spell forms or read the theories?” Nightmare gently lifted the tome in her magic. “Magic is supposed to be my talent… How am I supposed to learn or improve if I can’t see the effects or what I’m casting at?”

When one must perform a blind teleport, the caster should first surround themselves in a shield denser than the expected-

“I know that already… wait, what?”

Nightmare couldn’t help but chuckle at Twilight’s wide eyes as she turned to face her. “As yours is mine, my knowledge is also your own. What you know, I will know. What I learn, you will learn.”

“That’s amazing! But, I couldn’t ask you to study everything for me, it would take up so much of your time and-“

“Dry your tears, Fool Pony.” Nightmare grinned at Twilight’s cocked head and confused expression. “I know more than any of these books could teach you. There is much that I know that I am sure has been forbidden to be written or distributed. Shadow magic, dark magic, magic of the mind; all forbidden even before our banisment. You need only ask and the knowledge will be given.”

The sense of overwhelming joy was not a feeling Nightmare was very experienced with. The feeling of being hugged, even less so. Still, as Twilight pulled her close and nuzzled against her neck, she gently laid a wing over her, enjoying the touch of another pony.

Slowly, Twilight backed off, her head bowed and blushing. “Sorry, I just… you have no idea how much it means to me that I can continue my studies.” Twilight laughed softly. “Actually, I guess you do. Still… thank you.”

Nightmare nodded in an automatic response. “No thanks are necessary. Go back to your rest, Fool- “

“Twilight,” Twilight interrupted. “You keep calling me ‘Fool Pony’. My name is Twilight, and I know you know that by now.”

Nightmare laughed and made her way to the stairs leading down from the loft. “Very well, Twilight. I will leave you to your rest, then.”

“You don’t have to leave.” Nightmare paused at the top of the stairs. “I know that you were uncomfortable down there. I felt it when I woke up. If you want, we could share the bed.”

Nightmare blinked at the suggestion, silently weighing her options. It wasn’t a hard decision, watching ponies flee had quickly lost its charm. Being close to another pony hadn’t been bad, either, she decided. Hesitantly, she climbed into the side opposite of Twilight, facing away from the unicorn.

“Thank you again, Nightmare.”

“As I said, your gratitude is unnecessary. But you are welcome none the less.”

I'm not sure how I feel about this. It was an experiment and, either writing from a blind character's perspective is hard, or I'm just dumb. Likely both with a heavier weight on the latter. Either way, I doubt I'll continue on with it.

Word count: 1975
New prompt: Massage

I thought it was awesome and I hope you will continue with it. :twilightsmile:

3968607 Hey, Kean?
I really hate to burst your bubble, but, uh, I published Sweet many, many MoonLights ago.

Disclaimer: Please have your Form ML-OTP filled in triplicate before submitting stories.
Those who refuse to comply have a choice of penalty:
A) Endure being hooked up to Twilight's FOR SCIENCE! machine as she tries to understand what makes MoonLight shippers tick [min. 6h session]; OR
B) Endure Nightmare Moon's cackling about how she wins at being adored by shippers [min. 1h session]

Regards,

Management :trollestia:

P.S. Kean would like you to know reading is hard, and Sour is a prompt.

All Prompt Stories Published under Full Moon Fever in Publishing Order
1 Armor by TheWraithWriter
2 Slowly by ArguingPizza
3 Lotion by Habanc
4 Balcony by Knight of Lycaeus
5 Grumpy by ultra1437
6 Kitten by Knight of Lycaeus
7 Onyx by lyra_lover777
8 Rose by ShinyMoon
9 Hammer by Knight of Lycaeus
10 Recalcitrant by ShinyMoon
11 Dictionary by Toratchi888
12 Runes by Pearple Prose
13 Hammer 2 by lyra_lover777
14 Sweet by Toratchi888
15 Research by Fuzzyfurvert
16 Advantageous by Kean
17 Chase by lyra_lover777
18 Structure by lyra_lover777
19 Structure 2 by Macho Madness
20 Bombardier by Toratchi888
21 Mercy by Knight of Lycaeus
22 Mirage by lyra_lover777
23 Tumultuous by Toratchi888
24 Onyx 2 by TheMusicalBoy93
25 Disparity by lyra_lover777
26 Melt by hockeygoalie1992
27 Raven by Knight of Lycaeus
28 Nightmares by lyra_lover777
29 Provocation by Kean
30 Wrath (7DS) by Myrandall
31 Pride/Hubris (7DS) by Macho Madness
32 Gluttony (7DS) by Toratchi888
33 Envy (7DS) by Knight of Lycaeus
34 Sloth (7DS) by Habanc
35 Greed/Avarice (7DS) by Kean
36 Lust (7DS) by TheLastBrunnenG
37 Fangs by Toratchi888
38 Trickery by Toratchi888
39 Subterfuge by Toratchi888
40 Mask by lyra_lover777
41 Rapture by Toratchi888
42 Eternity by Knight of Lycaeus
43 Jaded by lyra_lover777
44 Blood by SeanoftheDead
45 Ensorcellment by lyra_lover777
46 Hurricane by Starfall13
47 Serf by lyra_lover777
48 Dangerous by SeanofTheDead
49 Help by Toratchi888
50 Dat Ass/Asinine by Toratchi888
51 Insipid by lyra_lover777
52 Hail and Farewell {ave atque vale} by Knight of Lycaeus
53 Adorable by Toratchi888
54 Trollestia by SeanoftheDead
55 Impoverished by lyra_lover777
56 Fire by KibaWR
57 Cupcakes by Kean
58 Shame by Fuzzyfurvert
59 Fall of the Sun, Rise of the Moon by superpony55 (prompts Color, Games, and Song)
60 Comfort by Knight of Lycaeus
61 Confectionery by SeanofTheDead
62 Precocious by ultra1437
63 Science by Knight of Lycaeus
64 Pool by Kean
65 Dissident by Knight of Lycaeus
66 Dark by Kean [part 1 of “Broken”]
67 First Among Equals {primus inter pares} by Toratchi888
68 Astromancy by Toratchi888
69 Ocean’s End by Knight of Lycaeus
70 Death by Kean [part 2 of “Broken”]
71 Alcohol by Draven Eclipse
72 Astonishment by Kean [part 3 of “Broken”]
73 Crazy by Kean
74 [I See Stars] {I See Fire} by Toratchi888
75 Persecution by Knight of Lycaeus
76 Frozen by Kean
77 Eidolon by auramane
78 Carpe Noctem by Kean
79 Pool (2) by palaikai

Prompts Awaiting Publication
Audacious by Auramane [sequel to Eidolon]
Cold by Kean [sequel to Carpe Noctem]

Prompts Otherwise Claimed (Please Review)
Prank: lyra_lover777
Winter by Toratchi888
Damocles by Draven Eclipse
Art by ZOMG

Prompts With No Recent Activity (please review claims)
Runes 2: darthrex
Revolution: Myrandall
Hazard: Fuzzyfurvert
Judicious: Midnight herald

All Open Prompts (please review claims)
Birth
Conversion Bureau
Cheesecake
Dressage
Massage
Passion
Squirrels
Sweet Sour [anyone for pork?]
Turkey

Hey now, reading is hard, okay?
Changed it to Sour. :trollestia:

4020330 This is acceptable, plebeian. :moustache:
Kindly submit your Form ML-CORR-1 to Ms. Twilight Sparkle...
...if you can pry her away from Nightmare Moon's lips long enough to get her to stamp the thing...
:twilightoops:
:twilightangry2:
Oh, damn...
*SMACK!*

Don't worry about the form. I already submitted it. To the trash can. On fire.

4020467 :twilightangry2: "You fiend! That's a waste of paper! And destruction of official property!"

I'm okay with it.

I've filled the offical forms for Moonlight out once (triplicate is highly excessive) to claim the prompt "Birth".

In which I demonstrate my limited ability to properly stay on topic and instead deviate from a prompt greatly to ramble on about the mythical creation of one part of my headcanon world, the Lunar Ponies return in this sequel to "Persecution".

Prompt: Birth
“If I had known how easily you were entranced by the revelation of knowledge especially those that have been largely lost to the ages then our first meeting would have ended quite differently,” Nightmare commented in a teasing tone as she took stock of the wandering gaze of her fellow Alicorn.

Twilight’s ears perked up at this and she broke her gaze from observing and examining the city and citizens around her and turned to face the smirking Alicorn standing next to her. “This is a rare chance to be in the hidden colonies although that's not to say I haven't heard about them. I’ve heard of them as many Ponies have before, but it’s almost hard to believe they do exist in spite of knowing that Lunar Ponies do walk among us. From what little I’ve heard many of these places are closed to outsiders,” Twilight said as her gaze left the other Alicorn and began examining and comparing the city to ones she knew.

Nightmare’s smirked faded as she gave a sad smile, “As unfortunate as that may be, it was necessary for the Lunars to seclude themselves from the world. Though I have not walked this world in many millenniums I have far too often heard of the persecution that Lunar Ponies faced from others believing them to be the spawns of demons, monsters, or beasts. If not for their seclusion it very likely they would not have weathered through the turbulent years of confusion and upheavals, although I am glad that Luna has taken them as integral members of her staff and her Court and perhaps one day these cities will open their days to outsiders.”

Twilight returned her focus towards Nightmare and gave her a brief nod, “That is more than just hope as I know that since Luna’s return I have seen more and more of Equestrian society learning about and sometimes interacting with Lunar Ponies.”

As their conversation finished Twilight allowed herself to get swept up by the festival going on around her and from the sounds and general feeling of those around her, she could tell that the festival was quite light and there quite a bit of chatter from the denizens enjoying themselves especially so as their Goddess had returned and deemed fit to join them on this special night. That was until the crowds slowly quieted down even the foals had gone quiet, the crowd had turned to face a slightly elevated dais that was situated just before a large and imposing statue; the statue depicted a Pony, a darkly coloured mare in full armour who looked much like an Alicorn except for the noticable curve of her horn and the absence of feathered wings, but instead she possessed long leathery wings.

Slowly the growing silence was broken by the slow movements of a Pony who slowly climbed onto the elevated dais before the gathered festival goers. The stallion who had walked out was rather thin, his coat dull with age and at places his fur was rough and patchy from uneven growth, his Mark was difficult to see clearly among the milling crowd and by the angle that he faced the gathered crowd. Contrasting his generally unkempt appearance was the highly polished necklace he wore, the necklace was a braid of various coloured threads woven around each other and threaded through smooth stones carved into delicate shapes.

“Ah, excellent there is indeed one of them here tonight,” Nightmare said breaking Twilight’s observation study of the newly arrived stallion.

“One of them?” Twilight asked only to for Nightmare asking for her to be silent.

Before you ask, this is indeed telepathy and well within my abilities. It would be possible to teach you how it is done, but that should wait. Right not it would be best for you to remain quiet and listen, Ponies such as he who walked before us are important among the community. He is of importance and I think the closest translation of what he is would be Echoer, an Echoer would be the equivalent of one of your storytellers and like the Solar races each of the Lunar races refer to their own differently and an Echoer is for example the term for a Thestral storyteller, all storytellers tend to be well regarded for their speaking skills and given the nature of the language it can be quite challenging,’ said Nightmare.

Twilight nodded in understanding before asking, ‘ Okay, that does sound interesting although I have two questions. What do you mean by the nature of the language and how would I be able to understand him as translation spells rely on linking the knowledge of two language to help create understanding of speech and writing and the language of the Lunar Ponies are largely unknown.

Nightmare lit her horn and Twilight could feel the soft touch of some subtle magic although she was having some difficulties determining its intent. At this time the stallion standing before them began to speak, his voice belied his frail appearance as there was strength, richness, and calm comfort backing his voice.

“Tonight, I spin a tale to you all. A tale heard many times before yet we should do well to never forget-,” said the Thestral stallion.

Twilight’s eyes widen before she turned away from the stallion to face Nightmare, ‘How? That spell you just cast, that was a language spell! That’s how I can understand him.

Nightmare gave a subtle nod, ‘It is a language spell of a sort although you are more or less correct. Nevertheless you should be able to hear his words as they were intended to sound yet still understand them in the Equestrian you are familiar with. The language of the Lunar Ponies is remarkably different from the Equestrian you speak, it is a more tonal language and there are more subtle nuances to the tongue however our written language pales in comparison. It is more of the circumstances that shaped the two languages, Lunar Ponies relied more verbal communication and thus our written works are few. Those that exist were written either by the few sympathetic Solars or Lunars who had embraced more of the outside world. They have painstakingly done all they could to transcribe the Lunar language on paper although the language there is still greatly limited. Now please, I will answer more questions after the Echoer has finished.

Twilight nodded and returned her focus to the rhythmic speech of the standing Thestral.

Tonight, I spin a tale to you all. A tale heard many times before yet we should do well to never forget, but always remember its importance. This tale I bring to all of you on this night reminds of us not only where we came from, but also our duties and obligations. It is a story that we all have passed from our ancestors and it is one of most important stories. I tell you all this tale now in the same manner that I was told and so that you may one day pass on to those who come after.

Our tale begins long before this world, long before most everything existed. In these early days of only the forces that governs our world existed. Yet one sought to change that and with the force it wielded, many worlds teeming life were brought to exist and forevermore shall this one be known as the Creator, the Shaper of Worlds and the Architect of Life. The Creator however was not alone for another being who existed was our Goddess, she who existed long before Creation and will exist long after the Creator’s work fades away.

Our Goddess is the Night and all that it defines and encompasses. There came a time when She Who Is Night and All Its Domains came to fashion for Herself beings that would tend to Her and serve our Her will. From the darkness of the void the Night created Her First Servants as they would be known forevermore. One with webbed wings of starlight was known as the Hunter, with whom was charged as Her envoy among the Stars. Another with curved horn of deepest shadows was known as the Wayfarer and was charged to find and protect the Secrets of the World keeping them safe from those who would use them unwisely. To the Keeper, claws sharper and harder than the keenest blade and strong eyes were granted so that the Realm of Dreams would remain well protected from intruders. The Warden was given a shimmering coat that reflected and absorbed all light so it would be able to unveil the lurking nightmares that would come to haunt and feast upon the world.

With their gifts the First Servants met their task with great fervour and upheld the Goddess in the highest respect, but despite their work for their Goddess none had yet to meet Her except in the briefest moment of Their Creation. Hearing the pleas of the First Servants to meet Her once more the Goddess took upon Herself one more task and the Goddess then took form with features similar to her First Servants. Her First Servants welcomed Her warmly into this world and in return they were granted more Servants alike in features to the First Servants they were to created to aid. Thus is the story of our Creation, of how our Goddess created herself and her First Servants.

New Prompt: Storytelling

• Viewing 651 - 700 of 804
Join our Patreon to remove these adverts!