MoonLight 895 members · 93 stories
Comments ( 804 )
  • Viewing 551 - 600 of 804

3791557 It's finally here!

Pinkie settled on her belly, covering her head with her hands.

Hands?

Lovely, well done, great way for Nightmare to send them packing and isolate Twilight all to herself. And now... let the Moonlight begin!

Comment posted by Toratchi888 deleted Nov 14th, 2014

Sheeeeeeeeeeeeeehttt... that was painful, but worth it, to punch out First Among Equals.

Claim Winter. Maybe something light and fluffy for now...

Gimmie a day or so to get caught up with things. Only two or three in the queue right now, so I don't want to post them too quickly, though FAE will take the place of several on its own.

Long, but I liked it. Nice reinterpretation of the first episode and I liked seeing how each were divided away from Twilight.

Tentatively claiming "Ocean's End".

Also gonna nab claim Astromancy; just had the perfect little short pop into my head...

Astromancy

“Spiiiiike…” Twilight groaned, trotting as slowly as was possible without turning into a trudging walk, jingling the bells on her tall wizard’s hat and making her long white beard and star-painted robes wobble ever so slightly.

She barely lifted her head to the decorated stalls around her—decked with spiders, bats, stars, and ghosts—or looked at their costumed occupants, such was her apparent misery.

Spike swayed on her back, dressed up like a Diamond Dog. “Oh, come on, Twilight! Pinkie’s always good for a laugh!”

“Ugh, Spike, look: I know I promised Pinkie AND Princess Celestia both that I would try to be more open-minded about Pinkie’s… Pinkie-ness… but look, even if Pinkie’s Pinkie Sense does work—and I admit, it does something—I doubt that using it is going to give her the power of crystallomancy.”

“Huh?”

Twilight stopped, craning her neck around at her passenger. “Predictive crystal-gazing. The reason we’re going to see Pinkie in the first place?”

“Oh, right.” Spike had the good grace to look sheepish.

Twilight rolled her eyes. ““Well, here we are.” She stood before a small tent, purple-pink with half-drawn curtains and a trio of jaunty yellow balloons in place of the top-post pennant. It looked like something from Saddle Arabia.

Spike hopped down, drawing a small bit-bag from his pocket. “I have the bits.”

“Is that the sound of Spike the Dragon I hear?” The voice which had spoken had a “mysterious” quantity to it… if by “mysterious” one meant “stereotypical wise pony.”

Though in the case of the tent’s occupant, it was more along the lines of “wise-cracking.”

“Hello, Madame Pinkie!” Spike replied cheerfully, trotting through the tent flaps. Twilight followed slowly.

Inside the tent, the only light available—in addition to the ambiance provided by lanterns on stalls outside—were two pairs of candles, secured in the puddles of their own wax to either of two tall, thin, square-topped pedestal tables.

At a central round table sat a bright-pink mare. She wore a purple and grey silk jacket, as well as a white turban wrapped in a “V”, with the cloth’s end dangling down the mare’s left side, in the center of which was a deep purple stone and a white feather.

The mare sat with her hooves together, eyes hooded. Before her on the table was a round object, probably about the size of two or three hooves, covered with a pink cloth.

“Come in, come in!” Pinkie intoned, an amused smile playing about her lips. “Welcome to Madame Pinkie’s House of Fortune. Two bits the price; your fortune, so nice.”

“Hahaha, you’ve been spending time with Zecora, haven’t you, Madame Pinkie?” Spike giggled, bowing.

“Hello, Madame Pinkie,” Twilight added, smiling politely as she could.

“Would you like to go first, Twilight?” Pinkie asked, gesturing to the cushion.

She’s taking this quite seriously. She’s actually sat still since we arrived. Suppose I can play along… “Thank you.” Twilight took a seat on a grey cushion, opposite Pinkie; Spike stood on Twilight’s left, looking eager.

Pinkie slowly grasped the pink cloth in her hoof, lifted it minutely, then whipped it off. Spike gasped in awe, and the corner of Twilight’s mouth cocked up.

The crystal ball was perfectly smooth and midnight-blue. “That is a lovely ball, Madame Pinkie.”

“Thank you, Twilight. I asked Princess Luna if they had anything suitable on which I might gaze, to tell ponies their fortunes; she was most happy to lend me this.”

Pinkie touched the crystal with one hoof, carefully. “It is set.”

She drew back her hoof and gazed into its depths. “Gaze with me, Twilight, so we may both see what lies ahead.”

Twilight peered at the orb, looking at it thoroughly. It indeed looked totally unblemished.

Twilight gave a start when, inexplicably, there started to swirl inside it… smoke? And were those… stars? The outline was… equine…?

Pinkie’s left ear twitched. Then her right. Her forelegs wobbled back and forth, as though a wave passed from one to the other through her body: left to right, then back. She wobbled upright, involuntarily, like a snake, and her chattered a half-dozen times as her pupils contracted…

…before she finally jumped, legs splayed, and let loose a mighty “SQUEEEEEEEEEEEE!” as confetti popped from nowhere behind her, swirling briefly into the shape of a large pony before falling to earth.

Pinkie thumped down onto her rump, panting. “Woweeeeeee!”

“Not-another-doozy, not-another-doozy, not-another-doozy…” Twilight muttered rapidly through clenched teeth.

“Twiiiilight…” Pinkie intoned. “In your futuuuuure… I seeeee…”

Twilight covered her face with both fore-hooves, peeking between them.

“…a tall, dark stranger; it must be!”

“BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!” Spike fell on his back, rolling and clutching his sides in his hysterics. “H-hey, Twilight… Maybe… maybe it’s Nightmare… Moon… AHAHAHAHA! ‘Cause it’s… Nightmare Niiiiight…!”

Twilight snorted. “Thanks, Spike.” Twilight turned a small smile on Pinkie. “I guess if Spike’s amused by all that, it’s worth the two bits.” Twilight bent down to retrieve the bit-bag from Spike, who was still chortling on the floor, and plopped it on the table. “I have to get going; you don’t mind watching him, do you?”

“Not at all,” Pinkie replied, her smile huge. “I mean, I don’t usually stare into dragons to predict the future, but maybe if we stare into a really big diamond—”

Spike’s laughter died instantly, and he sprung onto the table, fumbling in his pockets. “I have a little diamond I was saving for a snack! Maybe we can use that—”

Twilight trotted out of Madame Pinkie’s tent and down a darker side street. She avoided most of the other revellers, keeping her head low, giving polite, absent nods to the few ponies who caught her eye.

Eventually, she found herself away from the main square, where the lanterns and revellers were few. She removed her hat and robes, and set them down on a low stone garden-wall.

She sighed. Quiet. I hope Spike and Pinkie have a good time. I don’t know about Spike, but I just can’t get behind Pinkie and her predictions and senses.

She stared up into the night sky.

A tall, dark stranger.

Maybe it’s Nightmare Moon!

Twilight blew gently. Not a chance. “Not a chance,” she repeated aloud. “Princess Luna definitively proved last Nightmare Night that she’s just Luna. I don’t care what Pinkie saw in her crystal ball; the Elements of Harmony definitely got rid of Nightmare Moon for good!”

She blinked. Was that…? In the spaces between the stars, something like dust—glittering dust, like the light that shimmered in the Princesses’ manes—seemed to seep, drawing out a pattern in the sky.

Twilight blinked again. A horn? A head held high, mane swirling? She lidded her eyes, peering up. The stars twinkled quickly, quickened under her gaze.

For the briefest instant, a flash in the sky, the Mare in the Moon—

It was gone. Twilight gasped. “…no. No.” She shook her head, blinking a few more times. One single star shone brighter than all the others…

…then vanished.

“…okay, I’m betting that was just a prank. It’s probably Luna making an entrance.” She turned back towards town. “I’m no more likely to meet her than any other tall, dark stranger—”

Stranger? Not hardly, my dear Twilight Sparkle.

Twilight stopped dead.

And there before her was the Mare in the Moon, in all her dark, armoured glory.

A tiny salt-stick floated in her midnight-blue aura; she drew it slowly down her muzzle, licking it slowly. “Trick or Treat, Twilight Sparkle,” she grinned, showing her fangs. “Want to share the night?”

Next Prompt: Astonishment

3797557 We seem to be playing prompt-hot-potato, no? :twilightsmile:

We have been doing just that for quite a while, you just finished two of the ones I suggested, I grabbed one of your's. I think it began with "Hail and Farewell" or it might have been before that.

3798878 Nightmare Troll strikes again!

3799188 Ahaaaaaa... :moustache:
So, did the First Among Equals / last among sequals...
:moustache:
...make your day?

3799099 We’ve been playing prompt-hot-potato for a few weeks now:
I put out Eternity / Heroism (which you took) :ajsmug:
I also put out Hail and Farewell (which you took, and which HIT ME SOOO HARD IN THE FEELS!) and you prompted First Among Equals :raritydespair:
I took FAE and prompted Ocean’s End, which you took :rainbowkiss:
I also took Astromancy, which you had prompted sometime in-between. :yay:
Oh, and Sean and I derailed the forums a few times. …we were bad and were rightly chastised for that. :facehoof:
And thanks to you I discovered how to troll with a simple avatar or username. :trollestia:
I have had much fun with everyone on the forum. :pinkiehappy:

Prompt: Ocean’s End
Twilight opened her eyes to find herself standing on barren lands. As she looked around trying to find her bearings she realized the term barren was not quite accurate.

Barren meant that there was nothing around however as she looked and walked around she could see the last, faded remnants of civilizations long gone. All around her were rubble and burnt shells of what were likely once buildings. Even the earth itself bore signs of destruction, the lands were heavily cracked and here and there lava could be seen rising from beneath. There was no water, no life; everywhere she turned she could not find any flora or fauna. Truly she was alone here, the only living being.

She attempted to look upwards but the skies above were a blinding white, however briefly she could a glimpse of the Sun. Carefully she attempted to look upwards again. What she did see was that the Sun was huge, larger than she had ever seen it before. The Sun hung low in the sky burning orange instead of the usual yellow. The light was bright, even brief glances of the sky was painful; out of reflex she blinked as the light became difficult to bear.

Twilight opened her eyes to find herself in a lush meadow; the scenery was more akin to what she saw every day. Confused by the change of scenery she frantically looked around until she felt a hoof rest on her shoulder, and she turned to see Nightmare Moon behind her.

“Greetings Twilight,” Nightmare said.

Twilight turned herself around to look at the other Alicorn before firing off a rapid series of questions, “Nightmare? What happened? What did I just see? Where was that? Where are we?”

Nightmare leaned down to nuzzle Twilight briefly cutting off the rapid questioning, “Calm yourself Twilight, I am here. As to where we are, the answer is simple for this is the Realm of Dreams. Those are the simplest questions that I can answer. As for your other questions, that is something that will take sufficiently more time to explain.”

Twilight nodded, “I would like to know. So please, what happened? I saw this wasteland an-”

Nightmare wrapped a wing around Twilight, “Please calm yourself and I will explain what has happened. I am well aware of what you had seen Twilight for I see it often.”

“”Wait, what?” Twilight asked.

Nightmare tightened her hug, “Please Twilight I can explain, but I need time.”

Twilight nodded and tried to settle down.

“You know of my past, more than most have learned of before.” Nightmare sighed, “I am ancient and you know this. I have been around since almost the dawn of Creation and for that reason I see that place often. As someone so closely tied to Creation, I am immortal in the truest sense and for that reason I will live to see this world die as the Sun destroys itself. In my long life I have seen many civilizations on this world and others rising up and burn away. While this world’s end is far away it does not mean I do not dream of it.”

“Then why did I see it too?” Twilight asked.

Nightmare sighed again, “My magic is powerful and even though I have taken on a physical form I still retain much of my power. Those who become close to me are over time affected by my powers, one of those side-effects is that these individuals sometimes glimpse something that there should not see. Even though you have ascended beyond most others, you are still affected by this. This is one of the reasons why those I have lent my power or allowed myself to become close to are often driven mad. A mortal, no matter how powerful should never see the mind of an immortal. Mortals perceive the world in a linear fashion; they do so because their minds cannot handle the stress of seeing or knowing beyond this.”

“But as an immortal you see more than that, much more.” Twilight added as started putting the puzzle together. “Where we see time and this world as being one way, almost like a stream; an immortal sees all of them together like an ocean.”

“You are close as there are some inaccuracies, but that knowledge remains the purview of immortals. But you could say that immortals perceive the world as more akin to an ocean, I have seen the ocean’s ends regardless of far they stretch in time or space. All immortals are capable of seeing what was and what may be, the difference is only in how we see it; for some of us this ability is more controlled, but mine is tied to Dreams and thus not something I can easily contain to myself.”

Nightmare removed her wing away from Twilight, “This is the reason why I have allowed so few to ever become close to me. Over the millenniums I have learnt how harsh my visions of what was and what may be are to mortals. So many have shunned me after learning of this truth, I doubt that this time should be any different. Farewell Twilight.” Nightmare turned away and began making her way to the edge of the Realm of Dreams where it would easiest to leave this world once more.

Nightmare however was stopped by a pair of hooves who tried their best to wrap around her barrel, ‘Nightmare, please you don’t need to go anywhere.”

Nightmare sighed deeply, “You would still follow me even though you know the risks of doing so?”

Twilight got off Nightmare’s back and walked around to look at her, “I would. The risks may be high, but I don’t want you to leave. You may have driven others, but it was during one of those incidents that I met you for the first time. You helped bring my friends and I together and without confronting Luna in the depths of her madness I would have never met you.”

Nightmare shook her head, “That should not be a reason for me to remain. I am dangerous to mortals, both through my power and the effect I have on mortals. I should not have returned to the mortal plane nor should I have allowed myself to become so close to one.”

“I think you should have. You told me before that there almost no immortals on the mortal plane. You have been alone for so long and I think maybe that’s why you find it difficult to remain here. The term ocean could refer to something that is vast, in a way you are in an ocean. Lost adrift in an ocean, far away from any close companionship over the fear of the risks that may come and from what you just told me is that you have been alone for a long time.”

“How could I allow myself close companionship when mortals are so fragile, unable to cope or understand the burdens an immortal carries?” Nightmare asked.

“That may be the case, but I have learned from Celestia and Luna is that one way they cope with their long lives is to maintain close companionship. It keeps them here, grounded in this world and not just lost alone because there is no one around to be there for them. I may not be here as long as you will be Nightmare, but I want to be here for you now. I have a theory and I may be wrong, but perhaps your negative influence over others in the Realm of Dreams occurs because you are closely tied to what you are, the force you were from the dawn of Creation.”

Twilight walked over to nuzzle Nightmare, “This is only theory as there are only two immortals that I know of, but if we went with analogy from earlier about you being adrift on an ocean then maybe the ocean is not only time and space, but also your powers. You’ve become lost among them without a solid, defined identity, but maybe I could help bring you to shore and be more grounded to this plane. You would be less tied to what you are and will be more able to express who you are. So please Nightmare, stay here with me.”

Nightmare returned the nuzzle with one of her own, “You know the risks, but if you truly wish to try then yes Twilight, I will stay.”

New Prompt: Carpe Noctem (Seize the Night - Same as Carpe Diem, but nocturnal)

Oh, and Sean and I derailed the forums a few times. …we were bad and were rightly chastised for that. :facehoof:

Derail all you like, as long as the horsewords keep coming! I'll post FAE shortly.

Comment posted by Toratchi888 deleted Dec 4th, 2014
Comment posted by Toratchi888 deleted Dec 4th, 2014

Gonna claim Death...

3830864 I can tell already this'll be a cheerful story.

Hey now, there's no need to assume anything.
Yeah, I'm not a good enough liar to pull that one off.

Don't worry too much, it'll just be a sequel to Dark. Because my brain won't shut up. It won't be as dark (Ha!) as it was, but, yeah, not cheerful.

Yesterday was meh, today's been meh.

I apologize if Death is a bit meh.
Part two of what I'm calling Broken

”You know, when I heard you had returned and were in Canterlot, I was worried. When Celestia sent word that you were coming here to speak to me, I was afraid. Even after you told me of your… interest in me, I didn’t let my guard down. I thought you were just trying to find an easy way to get your revenge and stab me in the back.” Twilight smiled up at Nightmare her kind, innocent eyes shimmering in the day’s dying light.

--------------------------------------------------------

Nightmare heard Twilight let out a frustrated growl. Twilight’s ex-captor-turned-captive had passed out from the pain being inflicted upon him. Again. The first time he’d lost consciousness, Twilight had searched what was left of the lab for any of the drugs they’d used on her to keep her awake, but Nightmare had been thorough in the destruction of the room and left little standing or usable other than the table Twilight had been on.

It was upon that table that the Griffin lay, forelegs outstretched and pinned to it, punctured by jagged pieces of metal torn from the machines once used to study and monitor the Alicorn now sitting on him, straddling his chest. Twilight had taken to shocking him out of unconsciousness – literally. Twilight’s collar glowed and a deep purple aura surrounded her horn.

“Twilight, wait,” Nightmare said before she could release the spell. With a snarl, Twilight turned her cold, almost lifeless eye to her. After a slight shudder, Nightmare continued. “We cannot stay here, Twilight.”

Twilight stared for a few moments longer before her eye softened in recognition. “Then go,” she muttered, waving her away with a hoof. “I think I’ll stay here for a week, or a month, or two.” She shrugged. “However long I can make his body hold out.”

“You don’t understand, Twilight. We can not stay here. Your brother-“

“Shining is here?”

“- along with Celestia and Luna, yes. They have surrounded this town – this facility in a shield. They gave me three days to find you before they collapse it in on itself, crushing everything inside of it. It was made to teleport you to them upon touching your magical signature, but… ” Nightmare gestured toward the supports on the ceiling. “If possible, I didn’t want to risk you being harmed more than you may have been.”

“How long did it take you to find me here?” Twilight asked calmly.

“Find you?” Nightmare blinked at Twilight’s sudden shift in tone. “After I arrived, not long. Perhaps an hour. To do that?” Nightmare gestured to the hole above them. “Judging by the sunlight’s angle, about half the day has passed.”

Twilight smiled faintly but remained silent, inspecting a shackle on the wrist of her foreleg.

”Well,” Nightmare chuckled. “You were right to fear me.”

“I wasn’t afraid of you. Well, not exactly.” She turned away and scuffed a hoof against the crystal balcony they were sitting on. Looking out over Ponyville, she continued, “I was more afraid of the consequences of a fight between us. Not who would win or lose – I believe, if necessary, I could bring an end to the fight.”

“Your confidence is quite an endearing trait, but do not presume you would so easily win-“

“I didn’t say either of us would win or lose, just that, if I had no other choice, I could bring it to an end. But they – “Twilight gestured to the town below them. “ – What could any of them do if we fought here? I could only do so much to protect them while defending myself.” She sighed. “I don’t want anyone to be dragged into something they have no stake in.”

“What about the rest of the Griffins? How will they react?” Twilight asked, breaking the long silence.

Nightmare sighed and visibly sagged. “This is an independent facility. It is not even part of the Griffin territories. They receive no funding from their crown, only what is acquired by their workers. From what we understand, they were trying to degrade our already deteriorating relations with the Kingdoms and instigate a war between us.”

“Clever. Should they ever be found out, they’re able to shift the blame.” Twilight laughed and turned her attention back to her captor. “Of course, that also means they won’t be able to retaliate to anything done here without admitting having knowledge of what was happening...” She released the spell she’d been holding, sending electricity surging through the Griffin’s body. When his muscles finally stopped their spasms, she hung her head, looking directly into his eyes.

“I’m not sure if you could hear us while you were out, but it seems our time is going to have to be cut short.” She chuckled as he began to struggle, succeeding in only making the gashes in his forelegs wider and longer. She lit her horn and the collar lit up along with it, the shackles on each foreleg becoming enveloped in a deep purple aura.

“I had planned on saving this for last – I had so many plans, “ she huffed. “Guess we’ll have to see how many we can get through before you give out, then.” Twilight sat back and watched with a grin as long, thin strands of magic began to form, connected to the shackles. The magic formed and hardened into five long, jagged talons, a cruel mockery of what had been used on her so many times.

“I had originally planned to use the keratin from my hooves for these,” Twilight said off-handedly, waving her forehoof. “But then I realized there wouldn’t be much mobility with them.” To demonstrate, she curled each talon one-by-one down around the hoof. “And this way, I can control each of them separately.

“Now,” Twilight said all too calmly. Leaning down to look in the Griffin’s eyes, she stroked a talon down his cheek. Even from across the room, Nightmare could smell the burning flesh as the magic easily burned through his skin. “I hope you can appreciate the irony of-“

The Griffin’s head darted forward, embedding his beak into Twilight’s neck. Nightmare’s magic flared, but a dark chuckle from Twilight stopped her casting.

“Alright,” Twilight growled and dug her talons into each side of his face. She slammed his head back onto the table, ripping his beak from her neck. Her magic flared and the hole began to sew itself closed. “Enough pretense.” She began to rend down his face, easily searing through his flesh and, incidentally, severing the gag. With his screams no longer being muffled, a vicious grin split Twilight’s muzzle.

“I’m going to enjoy this so much more than I should.”

“Eviscerated” was the word Nightmare decided she’d use if ever she had to tell anyone what happened to the Griffin scientist in the following eight hours.

Normally meticulous and careful in all she did, Twilight set to her task with fervent fury, tearing at flesh wherever she could dig the magic talons in and shattering bones whenever they got in her way. All before reforming the bones and stitching the wounds back up to the point where he wouldn’t bleed out. All so she could do it again.

The second time she had ground the bones in his hind legs to dust, he passed out again. Twilight only growled and dug the talons into each side of his chest before channeling electricity through them.

When the moon reached its apex in the sky, hovering just above the tunnel Nightmare had made, the Griffin’s body finally gave out. Striking him didn’t work, shocking him didn’t work, and tearing a bone from his foreleg didn’t work. Twilight even tore his chest open and used the talons to attempt to manually restart his heart, searing and crushing it in the process.

She seemed more upset that she couldn’t revive him than that he needed to be revived.

With a huff, she climbed off of what was now essentially a biology class dissection project, onto the floor, and shook what blood hadn’t dried from her coat and wings. “I was able to deal with this for how long? A year? And he doesn’t even have the decency to last a day?” Twilight groused.

She turned to Nightmare, who had taken to lying on her belly in an area cleared of debris, watching the whole thing impassively. “So seeing that doesn’t bother you?”

“Not so much, no.”

Twilight laughed, the distress in her voice barely contained. “I guess the stories they used to tell about you weren’t entirely false.”

“Twilight,” Nightmare sighed, a small smile forming. “I have been alive for a very long time – possibly longer than Discord. Though it’d be better if he didn’t know that. Knowing him, he’d attempt to find out and, if it were true, possibly attempt to change it.” Nightmare chuckled, but her smile faded.

“I have seen many things, Twilight. I saw the dragons rend and tear each other apart for impeding on one another’s territory, over a few baubles, over mates, or even just because they could. I saw their might and bodies shape the land until they had no choice but to come together, lest they became extinct.

“I watched the Centauran tribes constantly fight and die until they did die out, all to prove whose magic was stronger, whose artifacts held more power. I saw countless villages of various races drained of emotion by the Changelings until all that remained were their baser instincts, leaving them but empty husks; cruel mockeries of what they once were.”

Nightmare looked into Twilight’s eye, her gaze turning hard. “Before Celestia and Luna, I witnessed the three pony tribes fight, kidnap, torture, and kill each other to learn the other race’s secrets. And I assisted in an attempt to bring about an eternal night, which would have resulted in the deaths of countless souls.

“So no, Twilight Sparkle, death does not affect me in the ways it might others.” Nightmare’s visage softened. “But,” she continued, her voice subdued. “It does affect me – I wouldn’t be able to call myself a pony if it didn’t. And I quite like being a pony. It does not bother me that you ended his life. It doesn’t bother me how you went about it, either.

“It is what led you to feel the need to set yourself to the task with such ferocity, such anger, that bothers me. I may not have been with you long before…” she gestured around the room with a hoof. “This, but I am worried that there is not much, if any, of that mare left.”

Silence reigned for a long while, with Twilight staring off to the side, her mouth moving unconsciously as she thought and Nightmare silently watching her. “So what happens now?” Twilight blinked at her own soft spoken question, as if she hadn’t meant for it to actually come out.

Nightmare raised an eyebrow. “Now we leave and get you some rest and see to your recovery.”

“No, I mean, what happens – wait, leave?! As in leave the entire… facility, as you called it?”

“Yes, removing oneself from a location is generally how one leaves it.”

“No,” Twilight growled, her hackles rising. “There were more than who was down here; I’m not just going to leave.” She turned, aiming for a better angle on the entrance Nightmare had made. As she stepped, though, her leg went limp along with the rest of her body. Nightmare enveloped her in her magic, preventing her from hitting the floor. She set Twilight upright, but even after she regained her footing, Nightmare held her.

“Your magic has healed most of your wounds, Twilight, but your body is still weak. You must rest.” Twilight’s talons dug into the ground and Nightmare mentally braced herself.

Twilight’s collar flared with her horn, feeding her with whatever magic she commanded it in attempt to teleport out of, negate, dispel, reverse, or overpower Nightmare’s magic. Nightmare matched her easily, watching impassively as she struggled. “Nightmare, I have to do this. I need to-“

“To what?” Nightmare snapped, rising to her hooves.” Leaving here in your state, and in a blind rage, would simply lead to you being captured again – or worse! Your magic is strong, yes, but your body is not yet recovered. You are immortal, yes, but you are not invincible.” Twilight stared back at her, defiance clear in her eye. Nightmare sighed. “Let us leave, Twilight, your brother – the shield – will do what is-“

“They don’t deserve that!” Twilight cried out. A flash of light erupted from her horn, as blinding as the sun on a clear day in the desert. Nightmare lost her concentration for a moment as she turned to shield her eyes, only to find herself on her back with Twilight standing over her, straddling her. Looking up at her, Nightmare could only equate what she saw on Twilight’s face and in her eye to a feral beast, its claws searing through the ground on either side of her head.

It took only a moment for Twilight’s eye to widen in realization and tears to well up in it. The talons fractured and dissipated into the air as she stopped channeling their spell and her collar and horn lost their glow. She hung her head and spoke, her voice wavering. “Shiny doesn’t deserve that. He came here to save me – to protect me.

“If he sees what they did to me – if he even suspects it – he’ll collapse that shield for the same reason I tortured that griffin. I don’t want him to feel that, Nightmare. I don’t want him to get pulled into this anymore than he already has. I can do it – I want to do it.”

Nightmare smiled softly and brushed a hoof through Twilight’s mane before running it along her cheek to wipe the tears. “Very well. You will stay here, with me, for the entirety of tomorrow and rest. Day and night. I will do what I can to aid in your recovery.” She chuckled as Twilight collapsed on top of her, wrapped her hooves around her neck and buried her muzzle in it.

“Promise me that you’re not just going to wait until I fall asleep and drag me out,” said Twilight’s muffled voice.

Nightmare gently lifted her in her magic and rolled on to her belly, setting Twilight next to her. “I swear, I will do no more than watch over you.” Twilight pressed herself close to the larger alicorn and the moment her head rested against Nightmare, she was out.

Twilight chuckled nervously and rubbed the back of her head with a hoof. “But that’s not why I asked you here. Sorry, I got a little off track.” She’d turned away to hide her blush, but the twitching of her wings betrayed her. “I’ve enjoyed talking with you these past few weeks and, if the offer of… courtship, was it? If it’s still open, I would love to take you up on it.” Twilight looked back at her with a soft and hopeful, if a bit apologetic smile.

Twilight stirred against her side, whimpering and shaking. Nightmare draped a wing over her and pulled her close, causing Twilight to curl tighter against her. She then laid her tail over the young alicorn’s flanks and curled her neck around Twilight as best she could.

I cannot safeguard your dreams; it is not my realm. I cannot safeguard your body; there is no longer a need. I cannot safeguard your mind; you do not want me to share your pain. Nightmare gently brushed away more tears with the tip of her wing. “Then, should you allow me,” she whispered. “I shall safeguard your heart. Even for all you have been through, it has remained strong. I will not allow you to lose that."

I wanted Twilight angry and a bit unstable, not insane. Not sure if I got that.
Word count: 2,645
New Prompt: Persecution
I noticed that most of the prompt I've given have been (Accidentally, I swear!) Judas Priest song titles.
I've decided I'm okay with that. :moustache:

3836736 Absolutely perfect. Can't find anything wrong or even improvable.

Disclaimer: :trollestia:
Edit: Updated 2014-12-08

All Prompt Stories Published under Full Moon Fever in Publishing Order
1 Armor by TheWraithWriter
2 Slowly by ArguingPizza
3 Lotion by Habanc
4 Balcony by Knight of Lycaeus
5 Grumpy by ultra1437
6 Kitten by Knight of Lycaeus
7 Onyx by lyra_lover777
8 Rose by ShinyMoon
9 Hammer by Knight of Lycaeus
10 Recalcitrant by ShinyMoon
11 Dictionary by Toratchi888
12 Runes by Pearple Prose
13 Hammer 2 by lyra_lover777
14 Sweet by Toratchi888
15 Research by Fuzzyfurvert
16 Advantageous by Kean
17 Chase by lyra_lover777
18 Structure by lyra_lover777
19 Structure 2 by Macho Madness
20 Bombardier by Toratchi888
21 Mercy by Knight of Lycaeus
22 Mirage by lyra_lover777
23 Tumultuous by Toratchi888
24 Onyx 2 by TheMusicalBoy93
25 Disparity by lyra_lover777
26 Melt by hockeygoalie1992
27 Raven by Knight of Lycaeus
28 Nightmares by lyra_lover777
29 Provocation by Kean
30 Wrath (7DS) by Myrandall
31 Pride/Hubris (7DS) by Macho Madness
32 Gluttony (7DS) by Toratchi888
33 Envy (7DS) by Knight of Lycaeus
34 Sloth (7DS) by Habanc
35 Greed/Avarice (7DS) by Kean
36 Lust (7DS) by TheLastBrunnenG
37 Fangs by Toratchi888
38 Trickery by Toratchi888
39 Subterfuge by Toratchi888
40 Mask by lyra_lover777
41 Rapture by Toratchi888
42 Eternity by Knight of Lycaeus
43 Jaded by lyra_lover777
44 Blood by SeanoftheDead
45 Ensorcellment by lyra_lover777
46 Hurricane by Starfall13
47 Serf by lyra_lover777
48 Dangerous by SeanofTheDead
49 Help by Toratchi888
50 Dat Ass/Asinine by Toratchi888
51 Insipid by lyra_lover777
52 Hail and Farewell {ave atque vale} by Knight of Lycaeus
53 Adorable by Toratchi888
54 Trollestia by SeanoftheDead
55 Impoverished by lyra_lover777
56 Fire by KibaWR
57 Cupcakes by Kean
58 Shame by Fuzzyfurvert
59 Fall of the Sun, Rise of the Moon by superpony55 (prompts Color, Games, and Song)
60 Comfort by Knight of Lycaeus
61 Confectionery by SeanofTheDead
62 Precocious by ultra1437
63 Science by Knight of Lycaeus
64 Pool by Kean
65 Dissident by Knight of Lycaeus
66 Dark by Kean
67 First Among Equals by Toratchi888
68 Astromancy by Toratchi888
69 Ocean’s End by Knight of Lycaeus

Prompts Awaiting Publication
[I See Stars] {I See Fire} by Toratchi888
Death by Kean [sequel to Dark, part 2 of Broken]
Astonishment by Kean [sequel to Death, part 3 of Broken]
Alcohol by Draven Eclipse

Prompts Claimed
Hazard: Fuzzyfurvert
Judicious: Midnight herald
Pool (2): palaikai
Prank: lyra_lover777
Tasty Murder: SeanoftheDead + Foals Errand + ???
Winter by Toratchi888
Persecution by Knight of Lycaeus

Other Claimed Prompts (Please Review)
Runes 2: darthrex
Date: Foals Errand
Forgiveness: Foals Errand
Dressage: Macho Madness
Nightmares 2: Macho Madness
Revolution: Myrandall

Open Prompts
Birth
Carpe Noctem
Conversion Bureau
Crazy / Stars
Damocles
Death
Passion
Squirrels
Turkey

Edited Death's post with the title for whatever I'm calling whatever it is: Broken.

I'm drunk and tired, so It probably won't stick, but meh, a generic title for a generic story.

Also gonna tentatively claim Astonishment.

Back in the saddle, so to speak. Glad to see some action!

Tentatively claiming "Persecution".

Time to dust off the old writing skills. Been out of the game too long. I shall claim my one true love Alcohol.

Okay so I finally managed to get a connection to post this. Hopefully guys enjoy my first contribution to this prompt thread. Hopefully you don't have problems with the tags. Feel free to PM me if you want the document with tags already added.

Twilight Sparkle hates Ponyville. Well okay she doesn’t really hate Ponyville, but at the moment she wanted nothing to do with the unassuming town. She thought that when she was told she could hold court in her new castle, that it would be a simple affair. She got along well with the townsponies and it was by and large the friendliest town she had ever been to. So naturally she assumed that things would go at a more relaxed pace. Not as much bickering and whining as the Canterlot nobles.

She was wrong, she was so very wrong. In fact, after a thorough study of all of the past times she had been proven wrong, this one was seventeen point two Twilightyears™ ahead of the pack. They somehow seemed to think that just because Twilight lived there, that they would get special treatment and have her bypass decisions previously decided upon by Celestia or Mayor Ivory Scroll. Which did not help her relation with the Mayor in the least bit. Where before they had a friendly relationship, it had devolved down to offical meetings and strained politeness.

But that wasn’t even the worst of it. They attempted to schmooze her, trying to get on her good side before bringing up issues of land disputes with their neighbors. It was when things got hurtful is when she really grew to understand the true disdain her BBBFF had of court proceedings in the Crystal Empire. She had started a relationship with Roseluck. Everything the mare did was seemingly innocent at first glance. Then Twilight discovered that the over the course of several months, that she was attempting to abuse their relationship to get funding for an expansion on her flower business. That was the first and last romantic adventure Twilight decided she would ever have until she was married. Her parents would be proud.

No she only had one true love now, the sweat nectar of life, alcohol. This wasn’t the dainty wines that Rarity loved to sip on as she read romance novels. Nope, Twilight wouldn’t settle for anything less than rock gut whiskey and mead. She hadn’t even considered alcohol until she met for peace talks with a Minotuar Viking Chief whose people were preying on small costal villages. Part of the agreement was that the Princess who headed up the peace talks would be required to join in on traditional Viking bonding ceremony. Which boiled down to a week long afair of drinking as much alcohol as you could and hunting the biggest prey you could find in the wild. Which lead to Twilights lovely new Ursa fur blanket….and carpet in her room.

Now was not the time for reminiscing on fond memories however. She had a particularly trying day and she was now going to perform her greatest magic trick, making an entire cask of mead disappear.

Twilight was well into said cask when the doors to her audience chamber burst open. Standing in the doorway was none other than Nightmare Moon.

“MUAHAHAHAHA, I HAVE WAITED MANY YEARS FOR THIS MOMENT TWILIGHT SPARKLE!”

Twilight stared at the dark alicorn and finished off the rest of her mug before smashing it on the floor and filling up a new one.

“What the buck do you want? Can’t you read the sign, court is closed for today. Go bother somepony else with your nonsense,” snapped the irritated and inebriated mare.

“I SHALL NOT WAIT PRINCESS, I SHALL CLAIM YOUR THRONE AND YOUR LANDS FOR MY OWN! AND THERE IS NOTHING YOU CAN DO TO STOP ME!” Nightmare gloated before breaking into another wave of maniacal laughter.

“You want my throne and lands? Fine, take them and shut up” she said as she launched her crown at Nightmare Moon, causing it to bounce off of her head.

Nightmare was reasonably confused as her nemesis went back to drinking her beverage, which judging by the scent and the impressive pile of smash wooden mugs, was mead. She was expecting an epic duel to the death, or at least submission. Instead, all she was yelled at and everything she came here for. Something was wrong.

“Are uh…. You okay?” she asked tentatively.

Drink. Smash. Drink.

“No I am not okaaaaay, I just spent the last fifteen hours listening to the townsponies argue and demand the most inane and self centered things. Then treat me like I’m the bad pony when I tell them no!”

This was awkward. Nightmare did not really handle awkward well. Civil Wars? Easy. Corrupting the weak minded? Foals play. Flower arrangement ceremonies? Just try and stop her. But awkward situations? You’d have better results from a pack of chewing gum.

“Do you uh…um” Nightmare struggled to think to something to say, “Do you want to talk about it?”

Before she could even blink, Nightmare found herself sitting on the spacious throne beside the mare in question and a flagon of mead shoved into her hooves. Then Twilight began to rant.

Five hours and three casks later….

“An thash why thosh ponnies can just kiss my purple princess posterior” Twilight slurred, with a satisfactory smirk on her face.

“Yeeeeeah you go girls” Nightmare whooped as she tried to figure out which one of the Twilights said that or if all of them said that. Since when were there more than one of her?

Twilight smiled at the encouragement. Nightmare was such a good listener. She had never felt so comfortable talking to somepony before. Sure she had Celestia to talk to, but even then she always felt nervous about disappointing her. With Nightmare, it was just so easy.

“Sho Moonie, how are you here? I kinna member makin your face go boom” Twilight giggled as she added pantomimed the elements hitting Nightmare Moon. She even slumped over and pretneded to be dead.

Nightmare proceeded to choke on her drink at the rather embarrasing nickname. And did her best not to laugh at the younger mares acting skills, it was a hard fought battle.

“Not sure if you figured it out, but those things don’t actually kill. One minute I was in Lunas body, next I was a in the stupid forest growing a body. Its weird, considering I was really just a part of Luna. Just laying on the floor gave me a lot of time to think. Figured I’d just get rid of you as soon as I could. Found out you were a princess and it made things pretty interesting, if I could take over you…er your lands, I’d have a nice start to take over Equestria.”

“I she” Twilight nodded sagely, “howsh that workin out fer ya?”

“It’s not exactly going to plan…I was expecting some big climatic battle to the death…or at least surrender. A battle that ponies would speak of for generations” Nightmare sighed, “Instead I got…this.”

Twilight hummed and she thought to herself. She certainly didn’t feel like fighting right now, not after having such a good time. But on the other hoof, it wasn’t fair that she had helped out Twilight by listening to her problems. Something had to be done, but what? It was then that a sly grin made its way across her face.

“Moonie, come with me. We can totally have an epic battle” Twilight said, jumping off the throne and stumbling down the hallway.

Nightmare was reluctant, but followed the stumbling mare. She even had to press up against her to stop the mare from falling over occasionally. Twilight lead them to a large door and motioned for her to enter. Nightmare did so with slight apprehension, pushing the door open and walking inside.

The room was large and the carpet felt very soft under her hooves. It was clearly someponies bedroom. And the carpet seemed like she was walking on the sky itself. She couldn’t help but gasp at the realization she was standing on the fur that once belong to an Ursa Major. While an impressive room, she couldn’t figure out how they would have an epic battle in here. There was not even enough room. When she heard the door locking behind her, she turned around to face Twilight whose face couldn’t be described as anything other than predatory.

“Yes thish room if perfect for our battle, I hope you’re ready Moonie”

“Twilight, how can we battle in here? There isn’t enough roo-“ she started before being tackled to the bed with lips pressed against her own.

Thus ended the Great Nightmare rebellion. The shortest rebellion in the history of Equestria. Nightmare even got her wish, Ponyville ponies would definitely remember that battle for years to come.

The new Prompt is Squirrels

the sweat nectar of life

:twilightoops:

nonsense” snapped the irritated

Missing comma after nonsense.

shut up” she said

And here. And several other places after this I won't list.

She was expecting and epic duel

An instead of and.

Civil Wars? Easy. Corrupting the weak minded? Foals play. Flower arrangement ceremonies? Just try and stop her.

Arson, Murder, and Jaywalking.:rainbowlaugh:

Nightmare even got her wish, Ponyville ponies would definitely remember that battle for years to come.

That last line was amazingly delivered!

Love it! Welcome to Moonlight.

I fixed some of the commas and even a few other things I discovered on a second pass, thanks for pointing it out. Fresh eyes are always a big help.

Also I am glad you liked it. It's a good thing my internet was down because it gave me time to think up that much better ending than the one I had before. I realized how much I wanted to sail this ship till I saw the boat.

Astonishment is coming. I just need to stop being dumb lazy. Is dumblazy a word? It should be.

Welcome!
Don't drink the clear, odorless liquid down in the cargo hold. It isn't water, and it's mine.

Uhhhh good thing I didn't drink it. It evaporated....yeah that's it.

And thanks for the warm reception. I look forward to participating more in the prompts.

I swear, every time I started writing this, something came up and my train of thought just sputtered and died.

But, here's Astonishment, part three of Broken.

Shining Armor sat atop a hill overlooking the town Twilight was being held in watching the last vestiges of moonlight filtered through his shield, his horn glowing dimly. Even in the dying light he could still make out the crater Nightmare Moon had made on the edge of the town. Seeing her dive from on high like a meteor, bathed in fire and fury, had him awestruck. Feeling that fury – that power – even from such a distance, had left him shaken. By the time he’d recovered his wits and erected a shield around the town, she was gone, burrowed deep into the earth.

When the shield was raised, there was no panic as they had expected. Instead, every Griffin made toward the center of the town, as if it were a designated rally point. He had noted, in what little time he had to inspect them, that there seemed to be no civilians. There certainly weren’t any children. This was, beyond a doubt, a military facility hiding behind the façade of a standard town.

As the moon was finally laid to rest, he turned at the sound of hoofsteps to see Princess Celestia approaching. She had foregone her usual attire, leaving her crown, hoofshoes, and torc back in Canterlot. Instead she wore a set of brilliant golden armor. From her hooves to the top of her neck, overlapping plates covered her. Even the leading edges of her wings were protected. She wore no helmet, but even with her face unobstructed, her best kind smile was still intimidating.

He was more than sure it was all for show: A way to tell anyone who saw her that she was not there as a diplomat, not there to entertain dignitaries, and not there to be bargained with, without saying a word.

She stopped at his side, her horn glowing faintly, but said nothing. He turned his attention back to the shield. Modifying the spell to teleport Twilight to them when her magical signature came into contact with it had been Luna’s idea. His had been to simply have the shield collapse upon itself until it hit her, ignoring anything else alive or not, and have it surround her, and then pull her directly to them, through anything in its path.

Celestia had been the one to suggest collapsing it and everything inside it. As former Captain of her royal guard, Shining Armor knew that Celestia was powerful. He knew that she would likely do anything to protect her kingdom, her ponies. But she had said it in a tone as cold as ice and hard as steel. He had never seen her – or anyone – look and sound so vindictive and couldn’t help but wonder if some of it was aimed at herself for being unable to act for so long.

She had also taken the duty of powering his spell while he kept the framework solid. Griffin shamans tapped into the world’s leylines to perform their magic, so they had a near limitless supply so long as their bodies and minds held out. Even patching minor damage over the past two days had begun to tire Shining Armor.

Out of the corner of his eye, he saw Celestia’s magic flare for moment before returning to its dim glow. The sun rose without any fanfare, the morning light illuminating the empty town.

Shining Armor sighed. “That’s three days.”

“You don’t need to be the one to do this, Shining Armor,” Celestia said, her voice soft with a hint of sorrow.

Neither turned their gaze away from the town. “No, I don’t have to be. But she’s my sister, so I will.” Shining Armor’s voice was firm, resolute. “I’ll give Nightmare five more minutes.” Luna would wake soon, as would their other “guest”. Best to do it quick. “Nightmare knew her timeframe.”

Instead of simply staring, Shining began to look over the town once again to pass the time. Looking at it, it was a perfect rendition of a town, as if it were a hobbyist’s model. Split into four in a circle surrounding a central building, on one side was a residential district. On one side of that was a market district, fit with stores, stands, and everything else a merchant might use to peddle their goods. On the other side was a business district fitted with buildings of mismatched heights, giving the impression that some were either more important or required more workers than the others. Interspersed between the three were buildings and shops of the others.

The fourth slice contained what would house the “upper class” citizens, if there were any. Gilded buildings, each one more grandiose than the last, filled the area. The central building, larger than even the most grandiose of the upper district and flanked by a tall tower on either side now housed the entirety of the town, when they weren’t attempting to break through the shield. He and the Princesses were sure that no actually one used any buildings outside of the residential area; that the rest was just for show.

Still, if Nightmare hadn’t… ‘Persuaded’ the king’s advisors into giving up their information to her about this place, we’d never have suspected it, Shining thought with a sigh.

His magic flared in preparation of altering the dimensions of such a massive shield, but paused before he even began. A ping came from his connection to the shield, a signal that someone was being teleported. He couldn’t stop the relieved smile that spread across his muzzle. She had actually found Twilight.

“Thank you for not asking me to go back with you – or taking me back – yesterday, Nightmare,” Twilight said as she stood and stretched. The room was empty except for the two of them and the broken machinery. Everything else had been buried, incinerated, or otherwise destroyed.

“Of course,” Nightmare replied, nuzzling into Twilight’s neck. “I promised I would only watch over you, didn’t I?”

“Yeah, but I also remember you saying that I should rest.” Twilight chuckled. “It didn’t take you long to throw that idea out… “She trailed off at Nightmare’s smug grin. “What?”

“You are more relaxed, are you not? You are certainly at least much more calm.”

“T-that’s beside the point, “Twilight sputtered, turning to hide her blush. “And I’m only calm because I’ve pretty much sealed off my anger. Probably not healthy for any length of time, but I didn’t want to risk losing it with you again. Seriously, you could probably say anything and I wouldn’t even be able to get angry about it,” Twilight chuckled nervously.

“Twilight…” Nightmare saw the last vestiges of moonlight fade from the top of the hole and sighed. “The sun will rise soon. I will ask you only once more, as it will be your last chance: Will you leave with me?” Twilight ruffled her wings and shook her head.

“Very well, but promise me that, should become weak or feel that you are becoming overwhelmed, you will make contact with the shield and escape.”

Twilight grinned. “Don’t worry, I already planned for that. What I need to do for it, though… Please apologize to Shiny for me. He’s not going to like it…”

Nightmare appeared with a pop and immediately heard Shining Armor ask, “Where is she?”

She blinked the remaining spots from her eyes before focusing them on him. “Still inside. She… elected to stay behind.”

“What? Why? Is she alright, is she hurt?”

“She is… alive. “

“Then why didn’t you bring her here with you?!” He shouted and turned back toward he town. “Whatever, it doesn’t matter, I’ll get her out.” Just as he prepared to shrink the shield, bolt of deep purple magic fired like a flare out of the crater. It impacted the shield and Shining fell to his belly, clutching his head and writhing in pain. Even Celestia’s head bowed against the unexpected power. Both of their horns lost their glow.

Nightmare watched as the shield flickered before becoming a deep purple tinged with black. She chuckled. “If it’s any consolation, she asked me to apologize to you for her for that. I’m sure if she’d known you were assisting with it, that the apology would extend to you as well, Celestia.” Celestia scowled at her, Nightmare just shrugged.

“That was Twilight?” Shining groaned as he rose to his hooves. “How? If she can do that then why wasn’t she able to escape?”

Hearing hoofsteps behind her, Nightmare turned to see Luna approaching wearing pale silver armor identical to Celestia’s. Luna said nothing so Nightmare turned back to Shining and sighed. “When I found her, she was strapped to a table, her horn broken off…”

She told them everything she’d seen and done, excluding parts of the second day and what little Twilight had told her they’d done to her and what she’d been able to infer. If Twilight wanted them to know, she’d tell them herself. When she finished, all their eyes were wide in astonishment. Shining’s gaze quickly hardened. He turned and began marching toward the town.

“Where are you going?” Nightmare asked.

“To get her out. I’ll drag her back here, if I have to,” Shining replied without stopping, his voice firm.

Luna laughed in disbelief. “She overpowered both you and my sister and wrestled control of your shield without trouble. What makes you believe you will be able to ‘drag her back’?”

“We weren’t expecting it. I will be-“

“She overpowered me.” Nightmare said. “And I was prepared. Your going in there will do more harm than good, Shining Armor. Should any harm come to you, who do you think she will blame? What do you think will happen then?”

“So what am I supposed to do?” Shining snapped and turned. “Sit here and watch and leave her alone in there with them?!”

“I would say that we are leaving them in there with her, but yes, that is exactly what you should do. She is angry, Shining Armor. She is unstable, dragging her out and back to Equestria may be the right thing to do, but it is not the best. Let her have her revenge, let her rid herself of at least some of that anger.” Her visage turned soft. “Then, when she is finished, we will be here for her. She is not broken, not completely; she is not lost to us.”

Shining slumped, hung his head in defeat, and nodded.

Nightmare turned her gaze on both Luna and Celestia. Both nodded in agreement. Satisfied, she moved past them and approached the fifth of the group. The Griffin stood alone and off to the side watching the town. He wore only a set of ornate talon guards, leaving the rest of his body unprotected; a testament to the arrogance in his belief that he could not be harmed here.

She stopped beside him, not bothering to look at him as she spoke. “King Skytalon, I have said it before and I will again: You do not belong here.”

“And as I have said before,” He replied, his voice deep, his words spoken as if he were speaking down to a lesser. “Whether they are part of my kingdom or not, they are Griffins, my people. I will see them punished properly.”

“Do you honestly think that we believe you? That you knew nothing about this place? We are not fools.”

“And yet,” he chuckled. “You have no proof. Even your kin did not go to war with us over this. So while you may not believe me, it seems those in power do.”

Nightmare laughed, low and dark. “Celestia and Luna did not invade or wage war due to potential civilian casualties on both sides. They know as well as I that you only lead us here because, otherwise, your head would roll. As for proof? If I believed for even a moment that going to war would not harm Twilight’s psyche more than you already have, I would rip your mind apart and tear the memories out in an instant, just as I did to your advisors.”

“Ah, so it is the young alicorn that is keeping my mind intact? I will have to thank her.”

A flash of light erupted in the residential area of the town, blinding all on the hill momentarily. When the light subsided, nothing was left standing. There was no earth quaking force, no sound, no warning. One moment the buildings stood, the next they were rubble. A purple streak blurred across to the business district. Up and down the alleyways and streets Twilight flew, collecting an increasing trail of Griffins that had apparently been hiding.

When she finished her search, she flew as high as the shield would allow her. The Griffins, of which Nightmare counted twenty, were held in her magic in a line. As one, their wings expanded to their full lengths. As one, twenty sets of wings were sheared off and fell to the ground. Even with the distance between them, Nightmare could hear their screams faintly.

One by one each Griffin fell to the ground, limp, the only indication that Twilight had done anything being her movement and splattering of red on the shield. When the last Griffin impacted the ground, the Business district met the same fate as the residential. Twilight then moved on to the market.

Nightmare grinned wide, bearing her fangs, when the King took a step back, it only widened. “You believe yourself to be untouchable. You believe that, since you will with get away with this that you will be able to do anything. And I am so very glad that you do. Because when you decide that one, petty, perceived slight is finally enough and you do decided to engage Equestria, I will be there.

“And I’m sure I speak for Twilight as well when I say that we will so enjoy crushing every foolish Griffin that chooses to follow you.”

The left tower flanking the central building cracked and spit in two as Twilight flew straight up it, her magical talons each leaving a purple streak behind her and whenever she swung at a Griffin as she passed, cutting though them with ease. Those that didn’t die fell with the tower as Twilight broke through the top and flew into the top of the second tower.

Other than the dust settling and Griffins leaving the main complex, armed and ready to retaliate against Twilight’s rampage, it was silent. Then a scream, magically amplified, rent the air. A Griffin flew out of one of the tower windows, followed by Twilight. By the bright purple colors and what she could make out of the ornate designs on his cloak, he was likely one of, if not the head of the complex.

His wings spread, then snapped shut before he swung back toward the tower. Upon reaching the vertex of the swing, a sickening crack resounded through the air and he went limp.

A dark, sadistic chuckle came from Twilight and Nightmare saw Luna, Celestia, and Shining Armor tense. Then the shield began to collapse and Twilight flew to the top and touched it before disappearing. Nightmare turned and began to move toward where Twilight would arrive and couldn’t help but grin as the King stood motionless, staring as the town was crushed from all side. He was tensed, likely to stop himself from shaking. His tail, however, continued to flick back and forth nervously.

Twilight appeared crouched low, wings spread, and growling, her breathing coming out in pants. Only Nightmare and Shining made to move to her, but when her eye, wild and unfocused, fell on him, he paused. Slowly, her wings folded at her sides and her eye focused on him.

“Twily, are you okay?” A pointless question, but Nightmare couldn’t fault him. “You look – I mean, Nightmare told us how she found you, but – “

“I’m fine, Shiny.”

“But-“ he stepped closer and raised a hoof to touch the bare skin on the left side of Twilight’s face. Most of the scarring was gone, but she still had no feeling on that half.

She gently lowered his hoof with her own and smiled softly. “I’m fine, really.”

“But what was that?” He threw a hoof out, pointing to where the town used to be, now just a purple bubble draining dust and dirt from a hole in the bottom into a crater where the town used to be. “And that?” He finished, pointing to the metallic collar around her neck.

“The results of an experiment.”

“Twily-“

She wrapped his neck in a hug. “Thank you for coming here. It means more than you know. “

Shining hesitated for a moment, another question on his tongue before sighing and returning the hug. “Of course, you’re welcome.”

Twilight looked over his shoulder at Celestia and Luna and smiled. “Thank you both, too.”

Luna acknowledged it with a nod, but Celestia said, “Twilight, I apologize for how long it took us. We couldn’t-“

“Don’t,” Twilight sighed and released her brother. “Nightmare told me everything. I understand.” She chuckled lightly. “I hope I didn’t hurt either of you too much when I took control of the shield.” Both simply shook their heads in response, but Celestia shot another scowl at Nightmare. Nightmare just smiled innocently.

Twilight’s gaze eventually fell on the Griffin King, still standing away from the group, scowling at them. His scowl only deepened when Twilight approached him with Nightmare against her side, supporting her weak legs. “I never did get to thank you for the feast you set up for my escort and I,” Twilight said casually. Before he could reply, she continued.

“Though that’s probably how you got me here in the first place. I spent some time trying to figure out which dish or drink you must have poisoned-“

Nightmare fought hard to keep the grin off her face as the King’s hackles rose and scowl deepened even further at the offense, and that Twilight didn’t bow or even address him. “This is all you have to say? Petty insults on my chefs? I will tell you as I have told your kin: I had nothing to do with your capture and imprisonment,” He growled back.

Twilight laughed, but lowered her voice. “So, all the times the researchers were told to report their findings to the King, they weren’t referring to you? And when the head told me that, ‘The King will have your head for this’, before I threw him through the window, that you are not the King he was referring to?” Twilight chuckled as his talons dug into the earth. “Now, now, you wouldn’t want to attack me here, with proper witnesses, would you?

“Just stand there and keep looking indignant, wouldn’t want them to think something might be wrong. Yeah, just like that, perfect.” Twilight’s raised her voice enough for the others hear again. “I haven’t been able to figure it out yet; everything tasted like rotting garbage.”

With that, Twilight turned away, Nightmare leading her away from the group.

“This is insulting!” Skytalon shouted. “Celestia, this is how you allow your apprentices to act toward royalty?!”

Celestia regarded him for a moment before looking around. “According to you, this land is not claimed by any race. It has no hierarchy and no laws. That being said, I see no royalty here, only five ponies and a griffin. She has done nothing wrong, perhaps besides being a little rude, but under the circumstances – and as I am not her mother – I will let it pass.” She turned her gaze back to the King. “Unless you wish to claim this land as your own. Then I may scold her.”

Skytalon made to reply but quickly caught his tongue. After fuming for a time he glared at Celestia. “No, it is not part of our territories. But, this will not be the last time we speak of this.”

A loud, mocking laugh came from Luna. “Please, do bring it up during our next meeting. I would love to see how both councils react to the knowledge that you nearly dammed your people for the sake of your pride.”

After attempting to sputter a reply, Skytalon took flight, leaving the five ponies to themselves.

“Right,” Celestia sighed. “We should return to Canterlot. I’m sure Cadance and Blueblood are close to losing their minds by now. Twilight?” Celestia called as she approached her. Twilight turned her head, but didn’t shout back. Stopping next to her, Celestia asked, “The skin on your face has healed, but I assume the nerves are still dead?” Twilight nodded.

Celestia smiled and lit her horn. “I should be able to repair the damage when we get back, it’s the least I can do for you.” In a flash of sunlight, the five ponies disappeared, on their way back to Canterlot.

I'm sober and I don't hate the title Broken, so that's staying.

This was longer than I expected it to be and that reason is one of the reasons I took so long to actually post it: The beginning. For about three and a half hours, I couldn't decide if I wanted to leave it in or not, since I liked it, but there's no MoonLight, so I flipped a coin. Came up heads, so I left it in. I wouldn't mind if it's cut when it's posted, though.

Word count: 3,484
New Prompt:Passion

I may also stop taking prompts for Broken and continue it on it's own. Most of the ideas I have for it have little to no MoonLight until closer to the end, so I don't think it'd be right.

3864111 All's well that ends... sort of well.:twilightsheepish:

Sure, let's go with that...:scootangel:

I do hope the entire thing was enjoyable, though.

3861829 Whoa am I late to the party! I run out to get a couple beer and BAM! New member!
Here, don't listen to those two; have a Carlsberg.

3836769 If it's unfalsifiable, are we able to complete the experiment? :twilightoops:

3871467 What does falsifiable have to do with anything in this situation?

3871488 ...sorry, I was being dumb.
I was just thinking about how Twilight had been experimented on in "Broken", and you mentioned something about "nothing being improvable", and I guess that only made sense to me.
...actually, on reflection, it doesn't even make sense to me. :twilightoops:
Sorry. :facehoof:

3871459 Woot Woot free drinks.
Also thanks for the welcome. How long is the typical wait period between doing prompts? I wasn't sure if I should wait until my first one was published first or not.

3873053 The wait tends to be several days between posts, since Brunnen doesn't want to flood Full Moon Fever.
If you look higher on p.13 of the forum, you'll see my list of pretty well EVERY prompt and its status.
Since there are 3 prompts ahead of yours ready for publication, the safe bet is Alcohol will be published next week.
However, do not let the lag for publishing stop you from taking on another prompt, or from publishing it.
Hell, I did 8 prompts in 8 days when I first signed on!

Death went up today. You're up next for Alcohol (Monday, probably), then 3864933 with Astonish, Wednesday-ish, and that's it *. Queue is empty, so definitely don't wait. When there were 10 stories written then it made sense to put out two per day, but with new stories coming one every few days now, I try not to blow our whole wad all at once. If you have ideas, pen 'em!

*except for 3873242 's song. I'm hoping he'll give us a Youtube rendition to go with it. There's got to be a karaoke version floating around somewhere to use for a background track.

Trivia time!

- First, congratulations to Kean for nailing prompt # 70! Good show, all!
- Our average word count is 964.
- The median word count of our stories is 780.
- 37% of our stories are 1000 words or more.
- Among the Twilight x Celestia, Luna, Cadance, Chrysalis, and Nightmare Moon collabs, Full Moon Fever has the best thumbs up/down ratio.
- Among the Twilight x Celestia, Luna, Cadance, Chrysalis, and Nightmare Moon collabs, Full Moon Fever has the 2nd most thumbs up.

Seriously, everyone here has done a fantastic job. You're a great bunch - keep it up!

Gee, THANKS, Brunnen. Way to put me on the spot in front of Kean and the new guy Draven.
Now I WANT to do a rendition on Youtube.
:trixieshiftleft:
:trixieshiftright:

Hey, if I can sing, anyone can.

Glad I could help. Enjoy!

ROFLMAOWTFLOLNOOBGTFO!
You crafty son of a buck!
I'LL READ YOUR STORY YET!!!

• Viewing 551 - 600 of 804