Seattle's Angels 2,656 members · 1,255 stories
Comments ( 931 )
  • Viewing 851 - 900 of 931

Title: Equestria 485,000
Tags: [Gore] [Dark] [Adventure] [Sci-Fi] [Main 6]
Views: 790
Wordcount: 153K
Pitch: Half a millennium into the future, what remained of Pony Kind is dying. Equestria, once abandoned, now possibly the last hope Pony Kind has for survival. The author crafts a post(x3)-apoc Equis, full of achingly beautiful desolation, with ruins of the former civilization, and another layer of ruins above that. Ancient artifacts still shine alone in isolation, waiting for their forever gone masters in eternity. The worldbuilding is drip fed to perfection, you never feel bloated, nor missing details.

Link: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/385770/

Title: Letters of the Two Sisters
Tags: [Sad] [Dark] [Tragedy]
Views: 86
Pitch: Days after banishing Nightmare Moon to her thousand-year imprisonment, Celestia is feeling... melancholic. More than that, she's feeling angry. So, deciding that she has a veritable eternity of rule ahead of her, she decides to write Nightmare Moon a letter, to see what remains of the sister she loved... and perhaps to mend that relationship. What follows is a back-and-forth of letters magically sent between the two sisters, where each spells out their grievances, and what they hope for in the future in a raw, emotional way. I found the emotion on display to be excellent in tone and execution, and the use of character-voice by the author to be simply masterful. I personally find it abhorrent that Toriandthehorse is so underappreciated. I understand that sometimes sad stories can get too much, but there's a real, aching beauty in her stories that I feel needs to be viewed more often by the community.

Link: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/453836/letters-of-the-two-sisters

Title: Ennui

Tags: [Romance][Horror][Slice of Life]

Views: 283 unique views

Pitch: The one where the true love between a bug and a dragon defeats an eldritch entity. But, as much as that's the main narrative, what I really enjoyed about Ennui is the normality and realism that semillon brings to the culture and mannerisms of changelings and dragons. The slice of life element is strong, and it is this that really brings Smolder and Ocellus to life. Their relationship feels believable, which ultimately helps the climax feel a lot more satisfying than it might otherwise have been. In terms of the main narrative, the eerie, creeping dread is also well conveyed and, whilst the final third has a pacing wobble and something of a 'Get Out of Jail' card thrown into the mix, it's still an engaging story with genuine emotional weight behind it. Also, the first time I've ever seen Connect Four used as a generator for heartwarming charm, so for that alone it's deserving of more views.

Link:

TEnnui
Smolder and Ocellus spend quality time together after cheer practice and encounter an eldritch entity bent on consuming Smolder's soul. They also play Connect Four.
semillon · 11k words  ·  102  3 · 1.5k views

Title: The Wingless Angel

Tags: [Death] [Drama] [Sad] [Slice of Life]

Views: 232

Pitch: This is a very interesting fic written by a very interesting author. While a lot darker than a lot of the stories I prefer to read, this one has an incredible heart to it that I think elevates it above the sort of dark, edgy fics you see around here. The story follows Mr. Cake dealing with death and loss of a very personal, tragic nature. While steeped in his misery, he meets Pinkie Pie, and in his quest to find and thank her for shedding a mote of light into his and his wife’s life again, he ends up confronting a range of characters and situations that challenge his views on life and morality. It’s a great fic if you’re looking for a mature, emotionally vulnerable read.

Link: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/453938/the-wingless-angel

Title: The Hero Club
Tags: [Drama] [Mystery] [Slice of life]
Views: 326
Pitch: The main strength of this story is its characterization. The plot is interesting and moves the story along, but the core character cast are what sell it. They're all very interesting, each of them being atypical heroes thrown into heroism by circumstance and honestly not always being the best at it. It seems that on both sides, good and bad, characters not really fitting into the archtype of their role is a recurring theme. Beyond its characters, it's written with a nice balance of humor and emotion, featuring an overall light-hearted tone that can still deliver its heavier scenes with tension and emotion.
Link:

TThe Hero Club
After being charged with assault, young Gusty Breeze is released into the care of an estranged aunt. The last thing she wants is to get in trouble again. Unfortunately for her, circumstances have other plans.
Mind Jack · 46k words  ·  34  2 · 693 views

Title: Brighter Horizons
By Destiny Chaser
Tags: [Romance][Dark][Adventure]
Views: 485*
Pitch**: A very well written story that just gives you chills to read. It sets a mood that you can't quite describe. Easily one of the best underrated stories I have ever read on this site.
Link: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/443542/brighter-horizons

Humphrey Hinklehuegen and the talking horses. His/her other stories are probably good like Daring Do and the Hand Of Doom but I haven't started it yet. Also a collection of papers on the futility of trying by silhouette amongst stars.
If you want you can sift through my group and take whatever you think is obscure enough.

Title: The Fairest of Them All
Tags: [Dark] [Slice of Life]
Views: 594

Pitch: Compelling shortform horror told via a very unnerving, interesting child-like narration. Very economical storytelling.

[Unpublished stories cannot be embedded]

Title: The Composer
Tags: Comedy, Sad, Slice of Life
Views: 267 (I think.)
Pitch: This story is super cute, and the writing is really good! I hope you consider featuring it!
Link: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/460074/the-composer

Title: This is the Last Train Car
Tags: [Horror]
Views: 582
Pitch: It is a good horror. Has a little bit of comedy just to spice things up. The fic is written from Berry Punch's point of view. The story is about a train (I mean... you had seen that coming, right?). After a short prologue we are given a light mystery, which over time evolves into "Big and Scary", without actually giving us a full understanding of just what happened. I like the atmosphere this fic gives, and the setting of a train is actually a nice scene to play out a horror (I guess there is something deeply unsettling about riding in a LimitedSpace-NoWayOut-VeryFast-Steel-Thingy, many horror games have a train level after all.). Oh and it also gave some nice headcanon about Berry Punch.
Link:

EThis is the Last Train Car
Berry Punch discovers a train running late at night- -and rides it.
Unwhole Hole · 25k words  ·  74  2 · 1.3k views

Title: Daring Do and the Hand of Doom.
Tags: Violence, Death, Adventure
Views: 549
Pitch: Hello, its Unwhole Hole again. Once again, we're pit against colossal forces older than Equis, in a race between 4 gambits trying to outdo each other. It can be loosely described as Indiana Jones vs Cthulu.
I'll let Alamais sell the rest.

This was incredible. A delightful mix that I didn't even know I wanted until now, of the wit and heroism and occasional absurdity of Indiana Jones (as a Daring Do story should be) with...I don't even want to say 'Lovecraft', because this built better pictures in my mind than any of his work ever has. The ever-escalating feeling of smallness, of Equestria and even the entire world being a tiny, fragile island of life and sanity in the middle of a multiverse that is...well, uncaring generally seems like the very best you could hope for, or perhaps just a temporary willingness to indulge one's continued existence. The breadth of characterization, from jaded, aching old Daring Do, to 100%-true-blue-Equestrian Rainbow Dash, to the used children and twisted 'parents' of the Questlords, Caballeron's freaky thing with Argiopé, Flock's weird almost-heroic villainry, hell even the minor characters like Wun, Zel, Brass, and Bon-Bon—they all feel like real parts of the strange, exaggerated mix of decay, despair, hope, and harmony that exists in this world, of a cartoon snow globe floating in a hungry void...

Link:

TDaring Do and the Hand of Doom
Daring Do quests for a legendary artifact of unusual provenance...and unusual danger.
Unwhole Hole · 267k words  ·  64  1 · 1.3k views

Found a bitchen one.
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/447876/corruption
Don't know if it will work but whatevs.

I have a whole series of criminally see what I did there? underrated mystery/comedy stories by one RB.
[title]Who-Dunce-It?
[tags]Death, Sex, Mystery, Comedy
[views]894
[pitch]Rarity and Rainbow Dash once again play Holmes and Watson when a high society dinner that they attend is spoiled/enlivened by a murder. The story is a pastiche of Agatha Christie-style murder mysteries with a cast of characters of archetypal suspects who would not be out of place in a Peter Sellers film. It is light-hearted black comedy.

[title]Clear as Blood: A Detective Rarity Mystery
[tags]death, comedy, mystery
[views]440
[pitch]Detective Rarity and her trusty sidekick Rainbow Dash are commissioned to solve a mystery at a mansion in a small town. The Doyle/Christie tropes abound amidst comic banter of the protagonists. Rainbow in particular is a riot.

[title]Frame by Frame: A Detective Rarity Mystery
[tags]death, comedy, mystery
[views]250!
[pitch]Rarity and Rainbow Dash are starting to get into the swing of their new career. This time the duo visit an art school at the behest of the prime suspect in--what else?--a murder case. Easily the most engrosing mystery of the series.

Comment posted by RandomGuy101 deleted May 19th, 2020

Does recommending a story I helped work on but didn't actually author count as self-promotion?

Story:

TDiscursive Formations: phantoms forever
The following document has been classified under orders of the Royal Guard. Please contact the Records and Registration Office of the Royal Guards for more details.
The Red Parade · 4.3k words  ·  26  5 · 764 views

Pitch: This story is pretty creepy, especially when you find all of the hidden links. It is very well-written; I was asked to edit this after it was published, but all I could find were a few grammar mistakes, and that's saying something. I think this story really deserved more attention than it has received. It was very well put together, and even more so after you find all of the hidden links.

Title: My Little Pony: Enter the Ice Dragon
Tags: [Romance] [Comedy] [Random]
Views: 600
Pitch: So, this story has one of the coolest concepts ever. You know how the show has fire-breathing dragons? Well, this story has ice-breathing dragons! The fic follows the ruler's son as he tries to blend in and make friends at Twilight's school. Interesting story, should give it a try.
Link: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/457841/my-little-pony-enter-the-ice-dragon

The Foundations of Me
Dark, sad
611 views,
Foundations of Me is an intriguing, amazingly well-written story that's so well written and heavy hitting, despite only being 2,500 words long. The twist is like a gut punch, and the execution is fantastic.

TThe Foundations of Me
Interviewee: Rainbow Dash, Weather Pony. Subject: The incident in Cloudsdale on the 18th May. Notes: At current count, 10 fatalities.
Seer · 2.5k words  ·  110  2 · 2k views

Wave Race By The Beach.

Equestria Girls • Alt. Universe • Adventure • Thriller • Rainbow Dash (EqG) • Other • Twilight • Main 7 • Shadowbolts (EqG)

Another Jet Ski Race similar the one back on the cruise will be taking place by the beach. However, there's going to be seven watercrafts instead of four, allowing fourteen people to enter. Rainbow Dash is ready to participate and Twilight is more then happy to relive that time she had back at the cruise. But once they arrive at the beach, they encounter a team who becomes their rival in the competition.

It's a decent story so far, but it barely has 100 views. A fair amount of work has been put into the story, and I have found it enjoyable.

Title: Mine For The Taking
Tags: [Sex][Romance]
Views: 890
Pitch: This is one of very, very few stories on the site featuring Spitfire and Adagio together. The general reason for that, I assume, is that at first glance the two don't pair very well together. This story, however, pairs them together exceptionally well. The pacing is excellent - despite the majority of it taking place over a single night, their budding relationship feels realistic. It manages to dance the line between being sexy and being tasteful - sex is a very major part of the story, but it's a means of character and relationship development rather than sex for the sake of sex - please don't let the tag put you off. The ending is slightly unexpected, and yet once you get there you can see how it was always going to end the way it does, and it gives some very interesting insights into Adagio, painting her less as a villain and more as a slightly desperate survivor, at least from my interpretation. The author themselves considers it their best work, and I have to agree even though it's not my personal favourite genre. It's hard to like a story that's written from the perspective of one of your least favourite ponies, but this one did it for me. :twilightsmile:
Link: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/444316/mine-for-the-taking

I apologise for the pitch being so long :twilightblush: It's hard for me to not gush over this story, and I really wanted to sell it to you. Ty for all the great work you do!

Title: The Dusk of Troubled Views
Tags: [Adventure][Comedy][Human]
Views: 750
Pitch: This story is about Chrysalis, Cozy Glow and Tirek as they begin their journey as reformed villains. It's a cool story, though. Most of it takes place on our Earth. It has an villain that constantly wants to destroy their life. I won't say who, 'cause if spoilers. Do give it a try. It's a hidden gem.
Link: Help the story.

Title: Unchanging Love
Tags: [Romance] [Drama]
Views: 671
Pitch: Two married ponies own a coffee shop together. One of them's a changeling. When the Wedding Invasion happens, it all goes sideways and the changeling has to wrestle with obeying her orders and preserving her race.. versus retaining the life she's built and the love she's found. It's wonderfully written, full of heart and somehow this author's debut piece.
Link: Unchanging Love

Title: Growing Up Glimmer
Tags: [Comedy] [Drama]
Views: 125
Pitch: Follow a young adult Starlight Glimmer as she heads off to school in an attempt to find Sunburst and in the process first connects with the ponies that will eventually help her form her Equality Cult. The story explores a lot of how she got to where the show first finds her, who the other ponies involved are, and simmers it all in the good humor of college freshman life.
Link: Growing Up Glimmer

I would like to recommend The Sisters and their Bridge.

Tags: Comedy, Slice of Life
Rating: Everyone
Description: Luna tells Twilight a story of when she and her sister were young, and Celestia built a bridge across a stream.
Link: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/469489/the-sisters-and-their-bridge
Views: 4
Total Views: 81

There are many comedic stories about the Royal Sisters, but this is unique because it is about a time when they were fillies, a time which we never hear about in the show. This is priceless comedy.

Title: Equestria Girls: Two Sunsets
Tags: Comedy, Drama, Slice of Life
Views: 1,414
Pitch: FIMFiction stories featuring a Human World's Sunset Shimmer are few and far between. A good one, imo, is a definite rarity!
Link: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/440175/equestria-girls-two-sunsets

Anything else you’d like to say goes here: Just like to add that I know that, view-wise, it doesn't qualify, but I'm making this recommendation based on how unique (I think?) the story concept is.

Comment posted by Uz Naimat deleted Jun 14th, 2020

I made a recommendation a few days ago, but it was far too recent. It got featured after a few hours, so I deleted my comment. Here's a story from 2016:

Title: A Jewel Laid to Rest
Tags: [Sad]
Views: 790
Pitch: It's a beautiful piece. No, seriously, the story is enough to make anyone cry their hearts out. Basically, Rarity takes Opal to the vet because the cat's sick, and tragedy happens. You can guess what that is. So, yeah, go ahead and read it, definitely worth it.
Link: Right here.

Also, I have no idea if this story was featured once upon a time. So, my apologies if I've breached the rules.

Comment posted by FanficReader920 deleted Dec 17th, 2020

Wait a minute. Aren't you an SA reviewer now?

FanficReader920
Group Admin

Indeed I am.

However, my purview in the SA is that stories under 1K views (sometimes we're a little lenient, but 1.5K is the hard deadline.).

I firmly believe stories that are over that view count (that deserve it) still should get recignition. So, I continue to reccomend stories to the RCL. I reccomended stories to the Angels too before I joined up with them.

Chris, a former RCL Curator, is also with the Angels now and I did my first reviews as an Angel with him.

I mean, I was under the impression that the recommendation thread was for ordinary members of the group to pitch stories to the reviewers. I would think that as an Angel, you'd be in a position to suggest them to fellow Angels directly, particularly when you're up for a round.

FanficReader920
Group Admin

And I do!

But we have a rule that mandates stories we review have to be under 1K views (though we allow up to 1.5K depending on how lenient we are to a particular story.).

So, stories that I think the RCL might like (i.e. stories over the limit) I reccomend over here.

I reccomended stories to the Angels' forum too UNTIL I joined them at the beginning of the year.

I'd like to nominate one.

Title: Cadere a Gratia (Fall from Grace)
Tags: [dark][drama][sad]
Views: 1597
Pitch: This story is good because you can feel the raw emotion that went into writing it. The author has been going through a rough patch lately and uses his writing to get through it.
Link:Cadere a Gratia (Fall from Grace)

Title: Rakadi & Ahe'eyo - The Language Barrier
Tags: [Human] [Alt. Universe]
Views: 850
Pitch: Sometimes you stumble across a real oddity. This super-short piece is one of those - it's a snippet in two parts as a human meets a pony. The quirk: they don't speak each other's languages. And that's the core of it, as both sides try to hold a conversation without words. It's short, it's sweet, and it's a nice little thought-piece.
Link: Rakadi & Ahe'eyo - The Language Barrier

Title: The Wonderbolt Academy's New Volunteers
Tags: [Drama] [Slice Of Life]
Views: 386
Pitch: The setup is simple: Silverstream and Gallus head to the Wonderbolts Academy to see if they can make it. The story follows along as they wrestle not just with the high bar of being a Wonderbolt but also with prejudice from not being ponies. It's a fun romp with some solid highlights - I particularly like how the author takes care during a few of the training scenes to point out the differences in how hippogriffs and griffons fly versus pegasi, and the scene where Silversteam goes to the memorial for the Storm King's attack is quite touching. It's a nice sophmore offering by the writer, and a nice use of two of the Young Six that's outside the norm.
Link: The Wonderbolt Academy's New Volunteers

Title: The Starving Heart
Tags: [Romance] [Drama] [Sad] [Sex]
Views: 259
Pitch: A changeling wrestles between two loves - one is a marriage where he loves her; but she doesn't return it. He must keep that up to fulfill his mission as a spy. The other is an affair where she loves him; but he doesn't return it. He must keep that up to get the love to survive. While short, it's a nice gut-punch of a drama. It's a love triangle full of one-directional paths, and the pathos is wonderfully painful.
Link: The Starving Heart

Title: Rekindled Embers
Tags: [Adventure] [Drama] [Alternative Universe] [Romance]
Views: 493
Pitch: It has been nearly a thousand years since Twilight Sparkle died. Celestia and Luna are gone. The Holy Equestrian Diarchy, ruled by a bigoted and brutal theocracy, has driven ponies apart and divided them along tribal lines. Unicorns are driven from society, feared and hated.

The lessons of friendship, painstakingly written down in the journal of friendship by Princess Twilight and her friends, have been warped and twisted to fit the Diarchy's hateful ideology. But to the average pony, this is the truth and reality of the world they live in, beset on all sides by enemies monstrous and magical.

Emberglow, a young pegasus mare, aspires to join the elite Knights, magically enhanced warriors dedicated to the holy Saints worshiped by the state religion. Can she uncover the lies and deceptions that have led the world to this bitter place?
Link: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/467562/rekindled-embers

Title: The Hollow Pony
Tags: [Dark Souls], [Dark], [Adventure]
Views: 533
Pitch: Think of how Fallout: Equestria was written. This is basically the Dark Souls version of that. While the setting is clearly inspired by Dark Souls, it has it's own plot instead of simply copying and pasting the Dark Souls plot but with ponies.
Link: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/463271/the-hollow-pony

Title: Mane Allgood and The Strange Ape Known as Sable
Tags: [Mystery] [Sad] [Human]
Views: 590
Pitch: Let's be blunt: HiE stories are a dime a dozen and 90% of them are absolute garbage. But occasionally one comes along that gives us something interesting - this is one of those. For starters, it focuses on Mane Allgood - a barely used character to begin with - in a way that makes complete sense. As a Jane Goodall expy and a named expert with unusual creatures, having her tagged in to research a weird primate is a moment of "Oh, that's obvious, why didn't anybody do this before?". The story also bypasses a lot of the standard HiE tropes: the human doesn't speak the local language, lacks any Awesome Powers and doesn't immediately start dating Rarity. It isn't until chapter 4 that the ponies even go "Wait, the ape is sentient?", which makes for a refreshing shift from the standard crap. All in all? It uses an extremely rare character in a good way, approaches a standard scenario uniquely and is quite a nice first piece from a new author.
(Admission: the recommendation is somewhat biased as I've helped edit.)
Link: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/470336/mane-allgood-and-the-strange-ape-known-as-sable

Im new here so please bare with me, i highly recommend the story. As A Mother. Beautiful story.

Wow, what a bummer, i was going to suggest a thread that looked at Megan Williams and why she wasn't called to help with Gogar.

Perfectly Insane

Title: Malfunctioning
Tags: [Dark] [Horror]
Views: 382
Pitch: This story belongs to my editor and is her first story. The grammar and over all writing is good and the story premise is a bit unique, giving a very The Matrix vibe and has a mystery element too it that is interesting. It is a relatively short story, but still a good read.
Link: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/425095/malfunctioning

• Viewing 851 - 900 of 931