Seattle's Angels 2,656 members · 1,255 stories
Comments ( 931 )
  • Viewing 701 - 750 of 931

Title: Solitude for the Modern Businessmare
Tags: [Drama][Romance]
Views: 122
Pitch: A shipping story featuring a very unlikely pairing, executed well thanks to strong prose and a brilliantly on-the-mark depiction of Rarity. The silver medalist in the Writeoff Association's recent FiM short story contest, it's been sadly overlooked and deserves more feedback and attention than it's getting.

Plus, I sort of abstained from voting on it despite adoring it, and this is kind of my way to making it up to the author.

Link: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/340482/solitude-for-the-modern-businessmare

Title: After the Races
Tags: [Drama] [Eq Girls] [Slice]
Views: 406
Pitch: A beautifully-written story about how each of the Dazzlings deals with becoming mortal and losing their powers. There is no brilliant plot twist or resolution; this story's strength is in its precise, convincing description of how these three characters might have reacted--and in making them much fuller characters than they are in the show.
Link: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/237886/after-the-races

I'm really enjoying this fic so far, it's not complete, it has one final chapter that should be out soon, but I hope you'll take one of my favs into consideration!

Title: Rarity, POW

Tags: [gore] [dark] [romance] [sad] [slice of life] [tragedy]

Views: 91

Pitch: This story puts an interesting twist on the times of Hitler, always wanting to read more. It has some mystery and secrets kept from you until the end and overall I think this is just a really good story you should check out.

Link: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/339678/rarity-pow

Also, the author is Amethyst_Dawn
I also think this story is completely under read, it's an amazing story in my opinion and I honestly think it deserves more views.

Title: A Wilting Flower

Tags: [Adventure] [Dark] [Human] [Sad] [Tragedy] [Alternate Universe]

Views: 640

Pitch: This story has great writing and obviously has quite a bit of effort put into it.

Link: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/295353/a-wilting-flower

Author: Terran34

This story tells how humans, the predessesors of ponykind, were destroyed by Sombra and his undead army. (That's all I got)

Title: Rarity's Fashion Alman-yak by Ceffyl Dwr
Tags: [Comedy][Slice of Life]
Views: 465
Pitch: MLP sometimes has the problem of creating really shallow characterizations for non-pony cultures. The Yaks from Party Pooped are one such example, a race seemingly devised solely to create a friendship problem for Twilight and her friends to solve. While Rarity's Fashion Alman-yak certainly runs with the Yak's absurd characterization to great comedic effect, I love that the story takes the foreign culture the show runners created to be mocked, and presents it as something from which Coco can learn. The creativity of the author shines not only in this respect, but also in the second half of the story, which is told in the form of headlines detailing the aftermath of Coco's encounter with Yak culture.
Link: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/330533/raritys-fashion-alman-yak

Title: Bouts of Forgetful Artistic Destruction by HoofBitingActionOverload
Tags: [Drama]
View: 765
Pitch: The story details a moment in the life of the librarian Gale, who is afflicted by a rare medical condition. Very much like the condition that affects the protagonist, the nature of Gale's affliction unfolds gradually throughout the story. I enjoyed the way that the author creates a sense of unease about Gale that grows throughout the story, and the pacing of the reveal is well executed. While the mystery of Gale's condition drives the narrative, the story does not rely on some surprise or twist ending; rather the story evolves relentlessly forward, reflecting the inevitability of Gale's fate. The story is worth a second read once you know about the nature of Gale's condition as many of her tics and stray thoughts will make much more sense upon a re-read.
Link: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/246977/bouts-of-forgetful-artistic-destruction

Title: Rapunzbelle by Violet CLM
Tags: [Comedy][Slice of Life]
View: 279
Pitch: The CMC write and act out a fairy tale of their own entitled "Rapunzbelle: A Story of Forbidden Love and Feminism." As the premise would suggests, this is a quite silly piece, but the comedy is done well and it was an very enjoyable read.
Link: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/302986/rapunzbelle

Title: The World Within the Web
Tags: [Adventure] [Alt. Universe] [Dark] [Human] [Mystery]
Views: 799*
Pitch: Incredibly refreshing finding something to read again that's not finished, canceled, or on a marathon of hiatuses.
Not only is a good read refreshing, but the perspective and situation is as well.

Not a pony to be seen written directly, but bronies. Loyal bronies to the Six and One enjoying their hard won land and foothold in the land of the Internet. But not all is well as they are summoned into the Dreamweave in the wake of an assassination of a high ranking Knight Censor and his squire, with the Bronies own diplomats pinned to the mess of it all through a covert operation strung along by entities who would have much to gain from another war between the nations, the Anonymites.
Starting small as whispers in the land of Chan, those whispers soon turned to roars of defiance in the face of opposition from their oppressors (the native and belligerent Channic as well as the intervening Authority which works under the beliefs of the Logos) thus marking the beginning of the First Rise. [ ¡Click on the link below to find out more! ]

Link: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/312711/the-world-within-the-web

All the extra I have to say is that it reignited my pride in my centralized Brony-theistic beliefs and revived my interest in all things to do with the Six and One.

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

Title: Daring Doodle Donkey
Tags: Adventure
Views: 297
Pitch: What if Cranky Doodle Donkey came across a young, orphaned Daring Do while looking for his one true love? Awesome family-building, that's what!
Link: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/340299/daring-doodle-donkey

Title: Canterlot Seven
Tags: [Dark]
Views: 315
Pitch: Barely more than a thousand words, but it doesn't need to be. This deceptively domestic story is tight, atmospheric... and with a twist that knocked me sideways. It leaves you wanting answers, but it doesn't feel incomplete. I read this some days ago, and I'm still wondering about its implications.
Link: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/211297/canterlot-seven

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

Title: The Farmer in the Dell
Tags: Slice of Life
Views: 41
Pitch: I am totally cheating. This story is five years old; it's been on EQD and DA all that time, and only just made the jump to Fimfiction this week because I wrote a review of it. But hey, it doesn't even have three-digit views yet, and it's quite a good story! :)
Link: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/349388/the-farmer-in-the-dell

PresentPerfect
Author Interviewer

Title: Night of the Living Bed
Tags: Comedy, Random, Slice of Life
Views: 160
Pitch: This is a great, light comedy with zero stakes, just a bunch of well-aimed jokes. Fluffy stories don't usually catch my attention, but when they make me feel this good, I can't say no. :)
Link: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/296177/night-of-the-living-bed

I Was a Soldier: Reaper is pretty good. Not sure how to "officially" recommend something, so here is this.
Would add a link but I'm on mobile.

Title: The Legend of the Scorpion Queen
Author: cursedchords
Tags: [romance][sad]
Views: 380 as of 16-Dec-2016
Published: 24-Jun-2015

Author's Description:
On the eve of the Day of Reaping, the start of the Equestrian Harvest, it is traditional that a legend be told over supper: the legend of how the traditions surrounding the Day of Reaping came to be. It is a story of love, ambition, and vengeance.
Long before Equestria, a grand Unicorn King maintains a splendid garden. On one of his travels he brings a scorpion back to live within it. That scorpion, resentful of being removed from her home, sets out to have her revenge.

Pitch:
For a story of this inventiveness and quality to be featured on EQD and garner less than 500 reads in 18 months is truly difficult to comprehend. Only OC-phobia can explain this, and while not perfect, it deserves far more attention than it has received.

Scorpion Queen contain all the elements for a myth of old: A king, a queen, an evil wizard, revenge, love, and finally atonement. Connecting the sky and seasons completes the feeling of reading a pony adaptation of a Greek myth: only gods are, thankfully, missing. The tone of narration is slightly detached, which adds to the feeling that we are listening rather than reading. Pacing slides around a bit, but no drastic issues, and time skips of decades are deftly handled in the traditional manner and never jarring. However, I did feel the conclusion with the wizard a tad rushed. Still, it left me satisfied as this was merely the penultimate ending.

The framing story, if you can call it such, begins in the description and concludes is in the story itself. Of the two parts, the latter is very good and leant the feeling this was a genuine origin myth, but I may be a bit biased. In long-past days I was an amateur astronomer and fondly remember picking out Antares at Scorpius' heart as it crept along the horizon late in summer. Although the conclusion of the story is made obvious in the story's artwork, which is a tad underwhelming, the choice of the scorpion and her name are key parts of the author's inventiveness.

Transformations are obvious themes, both physical and spiritual. The scorpion becomes a unicorn mare to exact revenge, only to find her attitude towards the king transformed as time goes on. Her love is no longer an artifice, but genuine, which only serves to drag her deeper into conflict with the king's true love and vocation, his garden. The deceit and jealousy underlying her choices turns her from villain to victim, forcing her into a betrayal she wishes to escape. She cannot, and it leads to a tragic end for her, the wizard, and the king and his garden. The author should replace the sad tag with tragedy, something quite appropriate for a mythic story.

A few minor technical errors, pointed out by commenters and reviewers, remain unaddressed, which is a shame as, if fixed, they'd remove the places where I felt 'kicked out' of the narrative flow. Regardless, my enjoyment was temporarily bruised, not broken, and I was able to drop right back.

No, not dropped, but pulled. Seldom do I run into a story that takes more than a twenty minutes to read, start the first few paragraphs, and decide that it should skip my read-later list. Latter was now, and when my reading of the final chapter was interrupted (pesky family) it made me grumble more than I usually do. That, I think, is the sign of a story worth reading.

Link: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/273458/the-legend-of-the-scorpion-queen

An additional review can be found here in The Pleasant Commentator and Review Group.

Title: Hecate's Orphanage
Tags: [Adventure][Alternate Universe][Human][Sci-fi]
Views: 164
Pitch: The fifth and final story in BlackRoseRaven's Songs of Lost Children series, Hecate's Orphanage blends elements of MLP and Norse mythology to tell the tale of a group of four ponies from different worlds: Cadence, her father Sombra, the formerly villainous unicorn known as Moonflower, and the zebra spirit La Croix. They have been tasked to protect the different versions of Equestria from monsters. Meanwhile, Cadence begins to learn new things about herself, as well as the mysterious being- the Swan- that refuses to let her die.
Link: Hecate's Orphanage, by BlackRoseRaven

Additional information: This story is the last installment of a very extensive 'verse, so some of the plot points and story elements may not be immediately understood if it is read as a standalone. It also bears mentioning that Hecate's Orphanage is extremely long, clocking in at over 1.1 million words.

Despite the [Human] tag, no actual humans appear in the story. The tag represents humanoid characters.

Title: The Mage and the Filly Fair
Tags: [Drama]
Views: 211 at the point of writing this.
Pitch: It paints Sunset Shimmer in a more sympathetic and realistic light, starting and ending the story with book ends that perfectly weaves the destiny of Sunset Shimmer and Twilight Sparkle into the overall lore of My Little Pony. There are no clear-cut antagonists out to deliberately torment Sunset Shimmer, but what happens in the story is a tragedy that arises from a well-intentioned desire to help Equestria through one of its most turbulent and exciting ages.
Link: Here.

Title: Aubade
Tags: Alt, Comedy, Drama, Romance, Slice of Life [but I think only Romance is appropriate]
Views: 162
Pitch: This is written as a Dr. Hooves / Cheerilee ship, and the author's notes suggest thinking of it as a Jeeves+Wooster crossover, but I get more mileage out of it by regarding both ponies as OCs. Two older ponies discuss a match between two younger ponies while playing chess, and eventually realize they're talking about how they feel about each other. Kissing ensues, followed by the stallion feeling young again, then discovering he isn't actually young again, and then more kissing. It's adorable. Just don't tell anypony I said that. :trixieshiftleft:
Link: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/339648

Title: The Pieces Lie Where They Fell
Tags: [Adventure] [Alternate Universe]
Views: 60
Pitch: this is an alternate universe set far into the future. It's really fun to see the changes in Equestrian culture and practices. The new characters are interesting and fun to get to know. The story is really well crafted so far and the characters well fleshed out.
Link: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/357769/the-pieces-lie-where-they-fell

My favorite part of this particular story is seeing the mythology and religion that surrounds the characters we know and love from the cannon. The author does a good job of not giving it to you in exposition dumps either. It's given in bits and pieces that feel natural in the story. I love it so far and would love to see other people enjoy it.

476633 Title: And How Would It Be With Our Souls?
Tags: Romance/Drama/Sad
Views: 209
Pitch: The story's voice, impact, characterization, and imagery are outstanding as well as easy to become enthralled by. This story is a hidden gem among unrequited and post-show stories that has gone criminally undernoticed.
Link: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/323664/and-how-would-it-be-with-our-souls

Title: There's Something Screwy Goin' On Around Here
Tags: [Comedy][Random]
Views: 461
Pitch: In this fic that is made out to feel like an episode of the cartoon, the pony known as Screwball pretty much takes over the episode itself, bringing 4th Wall Breaking shenanigans that would make even Deadpool proud.
Link: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/339908/theres-something-screwy-goin-on-around-here

Honestly, after reading this story, I felt like THIS was how Screwball should be depict in the Official Franchise, it is so hilarious, and chauked full of Pop Culture references, it makes Screwball feel so much like the "Looney Tune" of MLP:FiM, that she would even give Pinkie Pie a run for her money.

Title: Friendship is Optimal: Guidance
Tags: [Sex][Alternate Universe][Drama][Human]
Views: 175
Pitch: At first glance, the story appears to have several warning signs: an "in-'verse" gaiden fic with an enthusiastically sexual description seems like the formula for a rote blend of "wackiness" and sexual antics. Despite the premise, the story is anything but. After a brief fake-out, the sexual elements almost entirely take backstage to a heartfelt story about a refugee lost and adrift in by all accounts what should have been paradise. To anyone who has personally known someone who has fled from a dangerous and unstable city/country/etc, there's an all-too-real acknowledgement of never being able to feel safe, much less integrate, into a society fundamentally alien to their understanding of how life "works." The interplay between a self-satisfied hedonist and a migrant with a heartbreakingly low sense of self-esteen is genuinely tragic without feeling maudlin or overwrought, and the interspersal of comedic elements - highly sexualized as they are - never feel out of place or disruptive to the flow of the story. A genuinely touching work, and one that - while undoubtedly mature - definitely deserves acclaim.
Link: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/358378/friendship-is-optimal-guidance

Title: "The Season of Grace"
Tags: No tags*
Views: 615**
Pitch: This short story (2,617 words) is like a good cocktail: you take something very fresh--like new-fallen snow--and something strong and well-aged--like a friendship that his grown over time into love, add some holiday cheer for sweetness and just a few drops of bitters for lost youth, and there's your cocktail.***

Link: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/307517/the-season-of-grace

Willow Wren has been a friend of mine these past eight years, and was responsible for getting me into the fandom back in 2013--goodness, was that four years ago? Time flies like a pegasus (horseflies like an earth pony):pinkiehappy::ajbemused::rainbowlaugh:

* But I would say [Romance][Slice of Life] and maybe a little [Sad]
** Both total views and unique views, which can't be right, but that's what the text and the mouseover both say.
*** Which, according to David Wondrich, was named out of the phrase "a cock-tailed horse," meaning "a spirited animal" (ObPony, ObPun).

Title: Moon Unit Zappa
Tag: Gore, Adventure, Alternate Universe, Dark
Pitch: This story takes on the idea of the type of ponies that Princess Luna employs in her personal guard. It brings them together in a rescue mission style adventure and delves into their individual character strengths and quirks. It has it's humorous moments though it is tagged Dark, mostly between the characters and how they feel about and view each other. I like this story because it is a different take on Luna's personal guard. It also shows that differences which might seem unsettling or frightening to some are actually just as good or better than what are thought to be 'normal'.
Link: http://www.fimfiction.net/story/365178/moon-unit-zappa
I also have enjoyed this story because it shows the that difference in individuals can make a team stronger, and that one can be unique and still be part of something more than themselves. It has a few editing faults, but nothing that takes away from the character of the story; that even if you're different, you can make a big difference. Thank you for considering this story. It truly is quite good!

Title: Hyperportentia
Tags: Slice of Life
Views: 1000
Posted: Sept. 8, 2014
Link: Hyperportentia

Pitch: Acacia Tree is a seer. The world gives her prophetic omens. About, like, everything. Report card grades. Changes to a restaurant's dinner menu. What a pony is going to have for dessert. It's really annoying.

Her friend Ritz is a skeptic. Well, not a skeptic, exactly. He just doesn't believe in bowing to cutie marks or prophecy. Which is just as well, since Acacia Tree says he's going to die.

Title: The Factions of Equestria
Tags: [Sex] [Gore] [Comedy] [Drama] [Human] [Random] [Romance] [Thriller]
Views:
Pitch
*something remotely related to review. : Looking it over, a lot of tags. It's also the third book by this author, and the profile is based off of this book. Lots of dislikes, but his other story, a crossover with Left 4 Dead, has 23 likes. Factions, however, features a Deus ex machina. The guns. At this point, this is a massive Deus ex machina, but it might be explained. We have our standard Displaced, until, the story lives up to it's name. Luke, our Protagonist, finds out, 1, he's in Equestria, 2, there are two factions, and three, his side's got a fort. I'll try to keep the rest short. He's given the rundown, learns that the biggest gun they have is shotguns, he's selected for being a constable, then gets tested and passes, finds out his waifu Twilight is BFFs with Jack, their leader, and vents by going to the range and blasting away with his Mossberg 500. That's all as of this time. Overall? Not bad, fairly decent, no big grammar errors jumping out.

Well? Mind giving it a shot?
URL: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/365984/the-factions-of-equestria

Title: Fallout Equestria - Of Shadows
Tags: [Gore] [Adventure] [Alternate Universe] [Crossover] [Dark] [Horror]
Views: 285

Pitch: Whilst the fic itself seems like a run of the mill Fallout Equestria side-fic, it actually manages to seem original and holds itself above the sea of... less than readable fics that the FOE fans have err.. thrown out. The grammar and quality of writing is phenomenal. The pacing and ability to tell a story by the author is good. The story also creates a setting that just feels separate from the cliche'd wasteland usually used in other FOE fics and it actually has some creativity to it, which is a nice breath of fresh air... or radioactive air, heh.

The story focuses on a Pegasus within the organisation called the Steel Ranger's, who's sent on a scavenging mission to a derelict Stable with several other members of the organisation. I'm not going to spoil anything else for the plot, because that would just take the fun out of reading it.

Link: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/349266/fallout-equestria---of-shadows

Hey bronies and pegasisters I'm here to pitch one of my favourite authors out there! His name is Nordryd, his stories are some of the most heartfelt stories I've ever read, his OC Coppermane is bullied until finally he gets noticed, and I don't want to spoil anything but please check him out he's fantastic!

I got another one.

Title: Dearest Beloved
Author: BlackRoseRaven
Wordcount: 101,513 words
Views: 163 (at time of writing)
Link: Dearest Beloved, by BlackRoseRaven

Pitch: Dearest Beloved is the author's most recent work, and is unconnected to the universe that consists of most of his other works. It is told from the POV of Last Call, a musician living in a remote town along with his wife. The town is all set to celebrate a festival known as the Alignment. But strange things start to happen, and Last Call must navigate his way through a world filled with monsters and other eldritch beings that want nothing more than to devour all that stand in their way.

The story is known for its Lovecraftian themes, and has me quivering in my boots all throughout. I would say this is a prime example of how to do horror right. And the ending comes with one of the most frightening plot twists I have ever read, at least in terms of fridge horror.

Warning: Coarse language (quite a few f-bombs in there)

Comment posted by Vanilla Decaf deleted May 2nd, 2017

Title: Comfort Food
Tags: [Comedy] [Slice of Life]
Views: 166
Pitch: Cute, funny, and heartwarming. This story is the result of a writing exercise aimed at thematically returning to the source material in fanfiction (and other fiction), and it hit the nail on the head. The themes, mood, and characterisation are on point--this could be an episode of the show, or part of one, and it's just plain enjoyable to read.
Link: Comfort Food, by Petrichord

Title: Fightin' Spirit
Tags: [Adventure] [Comedy] [Crossover] [Equestria Girls] [Human] [Thriller]
Views: 2441
Pitch: its a crossover with one punch man and boy does it have everything on point.i mean at no point did i get bored,rather it just got me stuck to it.plus it does not have anything which would make you groan just by reading it.it actually feels like a proper crossover episode. Anywho its reading it is a breeze and eventually you'll want more,so give it some time,you'll like it alot.
Link: Fightin' Spirit by Iolaus

Title: Resplendence Revoked
Tags: [Sex][Drama][Equestria Girls][Sad][Slice Of Life]
Views: 902
Pitch: I liked this primarily because it showed the villains' side of the story without trying to redeem them, and how they work through their loss to try to find some hope of a brighter future.
Link: Resplendence Revoked, by NaiadSagaIotaOar

Angelic Seattle
Group Admin

5929545 Our view maximum is 1500 views sadly.

Title: Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Little Widdle
Tags: [Sex][Comedy][Human][Slice Of Life]
Views: 314
Pitch: This one was really good,unlike the other ponies on earth fics,in this one the ponies escape to earth when equestria is destroyed,bringing with them a number of survivors but problem is that this world is full of giants.Now it feels quite different because first they are not planning to go back to equestria cause its gone and so more of a permanent stay.also its pretty cute to read how the "giant" as they call him tries to understand them and help them.Overall,try it,you'll love it im sure of it
Link: Itsy Bitsy Teeny Weeny Little Widdle by GaruuSpike

Professor Plum
Group Admin

While this does sound pretty cute, that story is currently top of the feature box, and sitting on 1.2k views in the first day since it was published.

As this is a group for getting unnoticed stories some more attention, I don't think that one fits the bill.

Title: Redeem Us In Our Solemn Hour

Tags: [Gore][Adventure][Dark][Tragedy][Original Character]

Views: 425

Pitch: Midnight Aria was just a new Initiate of the Lunar Rangers (think search and rescue meets frontiersmen) when the war broke out. Although she's definitely in over her head – she's not a soldier, or even a guard – her and her unit will do everything in their power to save those they can.
This story doesn't try to shield its readers from the visceral ugliness of war, and although it can be emotionally difficult to read at times, it's even harder to put down. The rich characterization well and truly makes you care about the main character, which only serves to further heighten the emotional impact of the piece, and the world-building behind it is just enough to leave you wanting more. If I could see to it that any one story in the entirety of FiMFiction gets its just dues, without a doubt this is the one I would choose.

Link: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/311283/redeem-us-in-our-solemn-hour

Csquared08
Group Admin

Cynewulf is, unfortunately for this rec, an Angel, and therefore not eligible for featuring. :twilightblush:

Thought I'd drop this because I just realised you don't seem to have it in your folders:

Title: The Marching Madness

TThe Marching Madness
In a world where Discord won, a colt and his family will embark on a perilous journey.
Orbiting Kettle · 4.4k words  ·  94  1 · 1.4k views

Pitch: Perhaps the best example of weird fiction I've seen on Fimfiction. It's an incredibly strange, horrifying, and delightful vision of a Discordian wasteland, and the core premise of it is such a pretty one – that music, an intrinsically orderly and precise art, is capable of beating back the chaos that Discord's world is composed of. Wonderfully written, although with a few rough edges, and incredibly well-conceived.

And while I'm here, because I don't think I saw this in your folders either:

Title: It's Only a Paper Moon

EIt's Only a Paper Moon
Twilight takes Moondancer through "The Chalice of Moonlight" via Haycartes' spell.
A Hoof-ful of Dust · 4.6k words  ·  55  0 · 928 views

Pitch: This is a really tightly-constructed one-shot. It uses the idea of "What if you could become the characters inside a book?" and explores it with masterful precision, nailing everything from the imagery of a fantasy world composed entirely of paper to the concept of differing interpretations of a piece of literature, and even finds the time to give us a rather emotional and thought-provoking ending.

Title: Beautiiful Lives

Tags: [Drama] [Sad] [Zephyr Breeze] [Rarity] [Fluttershy]

Views: 520

Pitch: This is a story about judgement, appraisal, and redemption. It's a story of self-reflection, for both Zephyr, and the reader. The moral of the story is "all life is beautiful, as long as you make anything out of it" and I couldn't agree more. This is one of the better short stories on the site, in my opinion, and I would love it if even one more person felt like I did.

Link: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/366143/beautiful-lives

Requiem for a Dream

Tags: [Drama] [Mystery]
Views: 95 (its last chapter was just published today, so that'll increase, but there's no way it's jumping past 1000)

Pitch: Fahrenheit's a really good author, so I knew this one was worth reading right from its academic-mystery hook, but the slow-burn early chapters didn't prepare me for how good it becomes as its storylines collide. What looks at first like some sort of intriguing alternate universe, with Moon Dancer as our academic superstar protagonist, ends up slotting more and more neatly into canon as her singleminded pursuit of a forbidden memory spell causes her world to disintegrate. And along the way this draws some beautiful, exquisite parallels between her relationship with Twilight Sparkle and Princess Celestia's relationship with the mystery mare she's researching.

Along the way, it's got tension, wit, poetry, and song. There's more worldbuilding in little niche historical tidbits than some entire stories manage to put together. As the timeline gets more and more confused the story becomes increasingly thematically and narratively coherent, which is exactly how to handle a story dealing with memory-slips. All in all this is a genuinely fantastic piece, and I would be hoarding this for RCL nomination if Fahrenheit weren't already a featured author. I hope instead it can get a second wind over here with our fellow literature lovers.

Csquared08
Group Admin

Man, how do people not just jump all over Fahrenheit?

Title: Come with me, Luna
Tags: Gore, Dark, AU, Tragedy, Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, Random
Views: 496 at the moment of writing
Pitch: I think this story deserves a lot more views, it's cleverly written to boot and tells a chilling tale about an ancient conspiracy coming to light as well as foreshadowing and being the building block for the universe the author has created.
Link: Come with me, Luna

I admit to being a big fan of this author and obviously being biased, but his stories really struck a chord within me and I would hate to see his (in my eyes) excellent work continue to go largely unnoticed.

Title: An Angel of Grief
Tags: [sad][Dark][OC]
Views: 27
Pitch: Liked the idea on this one, and it seemed pretty well done when i edited it.
Link: https://www.fimfiction.net/user/190137/Nugget/stories

Comment posted by GarytheSnail deleted Jul 27th, 2017
Professor Plum
Group Admin

Self promotion is not allowed, and anyone found doing so (even with alts) gets banned.

Bye.

A Good Sun Day by Waxworks
[Teen] [Dark] [Horror] [Thriller] [Original Character] [Other] [Limestone Pie] [Marble Pie]
9 likes, 1 dislike, 8 comments, 87 views.

Marble Pie is a rock sculptor, and is happy to stay that way. However, her parents are pushing her towards marriage, and choosing suitors through the Pairing Stone. Upon going to the Pairing Stone, it says the 3 stallions brought to engage her with are all good candidate. However, Marble thinks of them all as unworthy, and will go to great lengths to ensure her freedom.

From Endless Snow...
Tags: [Gore][Adventure][Dark][Twilight Sparkle][Original Character]
Views: 289
Pitch: Between Lines accomplishes what most authors can't do in little more than 10,000 words: craft a deeply thematic, emotionally resonant adventure story. The main draw here is our jaded protagonist, Greyscale, and how he bounces off of Twilight. The worldbuilding here is also phenomenal, describing just enough to whet your appetite at just the right moments. I don't want to spoil anything else, but I will say that this is certainly comparable in quality to The Winding Northward Road, and you guys seemed to like that story enough after I recommended it.

Title: The Adventures of a Tone-Deaf Pony, by Pyrepinna
Tags: [Gore] [Adventure] [Romance] [Comedy] [Dark] [Random]
Views: 283
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/352331/the-adventures-of-a-tone-deaf-pony
I blame the description for this over 90k+ word fic having such CRIMINAL views. It's vague, generic, and kinda misleading. The cover picture isn't all that great either. But don't overlook this fic, like I almost did. Once you pick it up, you won't be putting it down for awhile...

What do you think the story would be about when you look at the title? Slice of life? Well, don't. Imagine Doctor Who, except with ponies, Now remove Doctor Whooves and Derpy from your head and replace them with Fall Streaks, a tone-deaf pegasus on his small towns weather team, and a Thestral roommate with a painful past named Tranquility. Giant storm comes in, both go up to try and stop it, both get blown away and wake up on the side of a river X amount of time later. You know, pretty much a normal day in Equestria.

Then they meet Cam, a ten-year-old with dimensional-hopping superpowers, who just so happens to be a bipedal wolf.

And then they go on an Adventure across the multiverse, while being hunted down by more bipedal wolves because of rules in their society that Cam broke, and a dark conspiracy behind it all, as per the title. I would say more, but, ya' know, spoilers.

Oh, the romance is good too. Give it a read.

Title: The Life and Times of Sonata Dusk: For Realsies Edition, by NaiadSagaIotaOar
Tags: [Sex][Comedy][Alternate Universe][Equestria Girls][Random]
Views: 215
https://www.fimfiction.net/story/370248/the-life-and-times-of-sonata-dusk-for-realsies-edition

I just don't know what went wrong. I preread this story when it was in bits and pieces and the author was on the fence about whether to write any more of it or publish it at all. I thought it was wonderful and urged its publication. It was published, and, uh, nothing much happened. Maybe because the author's known more for sad drama than for comedy? Maybe it's just not what people are used to?

The story is great fun right from the premise: it's Sonata Dusk writing fan fiction about her own life. And it's a unique take on an intelligent but ditzy Sonata, breaking the fourth wall just enough to add depth without getting annoying. It's a silly comedy containing a very fluffy pony, tentacles, the least reliable of narrators, and extreme violence. I found it very funny, with touching hints at the depth of the bond between sirens.

The only thing I should mention is that it's (probably) incomplete, with the possibility of new chapters being added as and when, but each would be an independent narrative, so it makes sense as it is it functions as a single complete excerpt from a book, with the option of more to follow.

Comment posted by Changeling Ren deleted Sep 25th, 2017
Professor Plum
Group Admin

I am completely baffled at why people still think they're going to get away with recommending their own stories by using alts.

Banned from the group. Have a nice day.

FanficReader920
Group Admin

Title: My Little Pony: A Race Against Time
Tags: [Adventure][Romance][Comedy][Mystery]
Views: 283
Pitch: CJ’s series of MLP fics, that begins with this one, all display a great understanding of the series’ characters and how they work. His original character, Casey, is fleshed out very well as the series progresses, and a big help with that is his friendship with Stardust Balence. Yes, the Stardust Balence from the popular “A Journey Beyond Sanity.” Stardust’s creator DID give him permission to use his character and CJ has been doing him justice. For those who are familiar with AJBS, they’ll enjoy seeing the Stardust they know and love. I would recommend this entire series to everyone.
Other stuff:
If you want to see more of this series, it’s sequel, My Little Pony: Good vs. Evil, is currently being updated on Fimfiction, and has already been finished on Fanfiction.net. In fact, CJ is currently about to begin his fifth fic. in this series on Fanfiction.net. CJ and I have actually become great buds, so much so that I wrote scenes for the series’ fourth fic. “Seeds of the Past,” this is because I provided the villain in the fic.
Link: https://www.fimfiction.net/story/361191/my-little-pony-a-race-against-time

• Viewing 701 - 750 of 931