The Fillyfoolers 3,489 members · 3,945 stories
Comments ( 44 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 44

Essentially a term to describe a lesbian pony. Bisexual ones could count too, I guess.

A fillyfooler is more or less a mare who is into mares.

4334545 Lesbian ponies and your name is incorrect, here on FIM, it's Doctor Whooves.

Gay ass beeeyyyeeeeeeetches

a female lesbian pony

As opposed to all those male lesbian ponies?

4334582 Yes there are cute and cuddly stories here. I don't remember them off of the top of my head but they exist.

Everyone else has given you the "neutral" answer.

It started out as a pejorative. More or less equivalent to "dyke" rather than "lesbian." It was supposed to be the sort of thing ponies would call homosexual mares in order to express disgust, when the lesbian couple has to deal with homophobic society as part of the drama of such a story.

Since then, people have more or less diluted the term, seeing it more as a ponification of "lesbian" as most in the group so far have demonstrated. Because, unsurprisingly, when you ponify something, the context often gets lost in translation.

But if you really look at the term, "filly" implies a young pony female, as opposed to mare. Much like what happens in real life, homophobes often try to say that homosexuals are also pedophiles. Fillyfooler still very clearly continues that line of hatred.

If you want to be a shitty writer, go ahead and use "fillyfooler" as a simple ponification of "lesbian." Probably the same sort of shitty writer that refers to someone as their "marefriend." "Girl" and "girlfriend" are used in canon, and it would make sense to go with "lesbian" to mean "lesbian." If you want to be a better writer, you'd only use "fillyfooler" in the contexts in which you'd call two dudes "fags." Such as when the speaker is a child insulting another child on the playground, or some adult idiot homophobe.

4334618 Nicely explained :raritywink:

4334618 yeah I've always found the term to be offensive myself. Using lesbian takes less effort and everyone knows what you mean right away.

4334545 That would be a mare that's attracted to other mares.

4334673 Yes, I suggest if you have to use a ponified term, I prefer using 'lesmarian' for lesbian. Also, I use 'biquestral' for bisexual and 'homostallion' for homosexual, not to be confused with 'hetmarostallion' for heterosexual... or perhaps that's overthinking things?

I think 'lesbian' works fine and some ponifications sound really dumb. Like seriously, try saying it aloud.

I think I just passed my daily quota of laughter in about five seconds. Thank you, dear sir. :rainbowlaugh:

Of course, ma'am. :scootangel:

That was sort of like my own hint, yes. :raritywink:

You seem like a fun person to be around. :twilightsmile:

4334816 I'm everywhere, me.

I be in your breakfast cereal, pokin' me me head out, sayin' "Cheerilee x Suri Polomare: make it happen!"

4334995 That's your choice after all, but I think 'lesbian' (lez-be-an) and 'lesmarian' (lez-mare-ee-an) sound similar enough and therefore not hard to figure out.

Fillyfooler
Group Admin

(Admin steps in)
We've Already discussed this, come on peeps. It's right here, in the forums

So yell at the OP. At least there isn't any necroposting involved this time.

4334982 You might be over-thinking things. Why call a mare a lesmarian when we don't call humans leshumians? It just doesn't make sense.

4336123 Yeah, it's not practical, but it is in the spirit of MLP:FiM in both the show and the comics.
Well, I guess this is the last thing I want to say on this subject.

Comment posted by Voyna deleted May 5th, 2015

4334560 Holy shite, i didnt even see how many downvotes.
Sorry everyone, I definitely did NOT mean to offend. It was incredibly rude of me though. :applejackunsure:

4340689 Well you're owning it and that matters. I know all about making the wrong choice of words too, it happens sometimes.

4341404 I'll try to keep an eye on what I type, too. :twilightblush:

4341731 We all screw up, it's how we deal with it that matters.

I just see the regular standard banner of Fluttershy's cottage with birdhouses outside of it.

Using "lesbian" makes no sense. "Lesbian" comes from the Greek Isle of Lesbos where a poet named Sappho lived back in ancient times. She gathered up a collection of female "students". It was well known what was going on there. Thus girls who liked other girls were mostly associated with the Isle of Lesbos. Lesbosians. Lesbians. Also, because of Sappho, the word "sapphic" usually means girl/girl love. Since the pony world never had an Isle of Lesbos, or a poet named Sappho, it makes no sense to use "lesbian" and "sapphic" in pony fics.

It makes sense. You're objectively wrong in your statement that it makes "no sense."

You've come up with an explanation for why not to use the word, based on Earth's history and etymology. What you're failing to get is that each and every word you'd use has some history and etymology to it. You're writing stories in English, after all. You're not writing in Ponish.

Regardless of the origins of a word, we use words to mean the things they mean. Those meanings shift over time. "Lesbian" in English does not mean "one of the students on the Greek Island of Lesbos." It means a homosexual woman. When an English-reading person reads your fanfic, they will understand the word to mean "homosexual woman." It's a very short process to apply it to a pony woman instead of a human woman.

Your objection is based on the absence of a certain history. You cannot state factually that there was never a Lesbos or Saphos in Equestria's history. While I can't state factually that there were, in my fanfic I certainly can and you can too if you want to. In fact, pegasus architecture in particular, as well as some of their fashion and historical aesthetics, are clearly modeled after Greek and Roman things. You could easily include Athens, Sparta, and Lesbos as elements of pegasus lore. The show already does for some of those.

Further, pegasi themselves are inspired by Pegasus of Greek myth. Chimera, Manticore, Minotaurs, and many other things in the show are based on Greek myths (while other things pull from distinctly other sources). Again, it would be super appropriate to flesh out the lore and history of Equestria pulling from Greece.

So no. You don't get to claim there is no Lesbos and Saphos. You can only claim that you personally don't want to expand Equestria's history and lore to include them. Others are free to do so. And even if your personal fanfics don't attempt to expand on the lore of Equestria, you're required to accept that something fits in the various holes left vacant by canon.

Lesbian is perfectly acceptable a term to grow in Ponish as it grew in English. It's perfectly acceptable to use simply because the readers will understand it correctly. What you didn't include in your response were your own preferences for which term(s) to use. That omission leaves the implication that you support "fillyfooler" as the topic of the thread. I've already pointed out my objections to that term in the post you tagged. You failed to address any of those points, so I assume you agree with them.

So, Lesbian is a good term. It's understandable to the audience, it fits easily into the setting. The fan-popular term is obnoxious and implies pedophilia. If you want to contribute to the conversation from years ago, you have zero excuses for being this lazy and only tossing idle objections out. Point out what you disagree with and offer your own clear solution. Counter the points already raised.

Your reply was useless. Get good.

well after reading that i'm totaly convice by the fact that now i must use "lesbian" when the any pony speak of two mare and use "fillyfooler" when a dumb pony want to insult them. plus you confirmed to me that it is "pegasi" and not "pegasus" double thanks
edit: after a bit more thinking it doasn't sem that bad for the two mare concerned to call themselves fillyfooler no?

I'm glad my arguments were compelling to you.

plus you confirmed to me that it is "pegasi" and not "pegasus" double thanks

Not sure what you mean by this. There are three words involved here. You have "pegasus," "Pegasus," and "pegasi." Pegasi is plural for multiple ponies with wings. Cloudsdale is home to many pegasi. If you're referring to just one of them, Windy Whistles for example, you'd mention that she is a pegasus. If you're referring to the winged horse of Greek Mythology, its name is Pegasus (proper noun, capitalized always). If it helps, think of it as dogs (the species) vs naming your pet dog "Dog." As best as I can tell, Pegasus from Greek mythos isn't any particular species, just a horse with wings because of gods and magic and stuff. Equestria has a species/tribe of ponies that were inspired by Pegasus.

after a bit more thinking it doasn't sem that bad for the two mare concerned to call themselves fillyfooler no?

Not really sure what your question here is.

Two characters (who happen to be female and attracted to females) can use whatever terms you think are in-character for them to use. Just as you were convinced of in general, that "lesbian" is a perfectly acceptable and even preferable term to use, "fillyfooler" has possible use as well. Which term a character or pair of characters use says something about them. If you agree with me that "fillyfooler" is a derogatory term, perhaps the character(s) use it in a self-deprecating way. Maybe they, like the group admin Fillyfooler, are ignorant of the implications or dismissive of them. It's not a matter of being "bad" as it is just using terminology that is in-character.

In a general sense, I feel that lesbian is the better term to use. In narration, neutral speech, and so on. It should be the default. Characters that prefer that term would be in agreement with that general sense. Their agreement with the general sense says something about their nature just as the preference for "fillyfooler" says something else.

Alternatively, if you treat "fillyfooler" as a generic, neutral term then you don't convey that same sense of character. You'd convey something else and need to figure out how to express what you want to express. If, like Ariel Schnee, you prefer to omit "lesbian" from the lexicon entirely, you could use "fillyfooler" as neutral. But then if you have characters that would prefer some sort of derogatory term, such as assholes and bigots or self-deprecating characters, you'd need to come up with a term that conveys that.

I feel that "fillyfooler" conveys that negative connotation pretty well. It has literary value if treated that way. It's not "bad" in the sense that you should never use the word. I just suggest that it be given the connotation it deserves and used accordingly.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 44