Background Ponies 357 members · 969 stories
Comments ( 8 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 8

This is a series of questions I have about the folders on display here, so I'll get to the point:

1. Why does Davenport have a folder all to himself, yet a character as popular as Colgate who has her own character tag does not?

2. Given that there is a character tag for the "Flower Ponies" (aka Lily, Daisy, and Rose), wouldn't it make more sense to rename the Daisy/Lily folder the Flower Ponies folder?

3. Is it possible to divide other background characters into their respective tribes (pegasus, earth, and unicorn), or ages or genders (mare, colt, and foal), and would it be preferable to have one folder for fics with a mixture of BGCs or to simply put the same story in multiple folders (e.g. if your story were to star Raindrops, Carrot Top, Dinky, and Lyra as main characters)?

4. I'm not entirely clear about non-pony BGCs. Would stories featuring Zecora or Cranky Doodle Donkey qualify for this group?

5. I notice you feature Cheerilee in the banner for this group, yet her status as a "background" character is debatable, and she doesn't have her own folder. So, firstly, who qualifies as "background" in this group? If Cheerilee qualifies, then does someone like Big Macintosh or even Princess Luna, based on screen time and significance to plotlines, individual and arcing?

6. Secondly, why is there no Cheerilee folder? If she's qualified as a BGC, then it seems she'd get priority for folder-space.

That's about all for now. Thanks for your time! :scootangel:

It might be simplest to make a folder for every background character FimFiction has a tag for, and then other folders for other popular background characters, and then make other folders as needed for un-tagable background characters.

Grazy Polomare
Group Admin

I agree with this, but has there been any actual renovation? I like the idea of this group and all but it just needs...I don't know...this and then some.

Perhaps the admin has partially abandoned the group. It happens....

Grazy Polomare
Group Admin

Well that sucks...

And this really has some potential too!

Garbo
Group Admin

1. Because Davenport is my favorite character, and I didn't expect anyone to join this group. I took a leave of absence from the site this summer. The group has a lot of new members now, something I didn't really expect since before I left, it had just broken double digits in members. So it was kind of a personal group before I left. Now that there's actually people, I'm going to update this group some. But the Davenport folder stays.

2. Because Rose is much more popular than the other two. However, having one combined folder has an equal amount of merit

3. That would be cool, but that would be almost an entirely different folder system, and keeping up with the amount of folders the group has already is a pretty large task. I think one combined Misc. folder works pretty well.

4. No. I would call them secondary characters, since they have canon-established personalities and have episodes centered around them. Other characters, like Octavia or Cloud Kicker, don't have any lines in the show, and even characters like Rose or Davenport, who one or two lines, they don't have personalities or anything else to make them notable, thus I'd call them background.

5. The banner is not something I made, it's something I found that someone else made. At some point, I'll photoshop up a better banner, but like I said, the last time I was here there was less than a dozen people in this group, and the other groups I admin took priority.

6. I'd agree with what you said. She's not a BGP. She has lines in many episodes and even an episode she co-stars in.

Thanks for the questions, sorry it took so long to get to them.

Garbo
Group Admin

1241685>>1241692
Well, technically I abandoned the whole site because I didn't have a computer this summer, but looking back on it I should've gotten another admin I suppose.

No probs. I just recently answered a multi-week-old post myself, so I know the feeling. Thanks for answering my questions.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 8