Christian Bronies 982 members · 235 stories
Comments ( 32 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 32

Why did no one question Moses when he claimed God said to kill Caananite children? For that matter, why did the Caananites murder their own children as part of their religion? Even today we murder children in the womb (abortion). Why has this been so common in human history?

I believe it was because the Caananites worshipped Baal, a Sumerian, I believe, fertility god who later became associated with murder and fuckery. Oh yeah, and there was a Zoroastrian or Babylonian god who was literally the GOD OF EVIL. Its not like, say, Hades who, while a bit, well, morbid, was still one of the more decent Greek Gods and whom now is compared to Satan. Nope, Angra Mainyu was, in his people's faith, a full on God of Evil, Darkness, and all that shit.

I know that the Canaanites had a deity called "Moloch" (or "Molech") that they would sacrifice their children to. When God instructed Moses to tell the people not to make their children "pass through the fire", it is referring to the Canaanites sacrificing their children to Moloch (apparently Moloch idols were built as a huge furnace kind of thing). Here's one rabbi's commentary about Moloch:

"Tophet is Moloch, which was made of brass; and they heated him from his lower parts; and his hands being stretched out, and made hot, they put the child between his hands, and it was burnt; when it vehemently cried out; but the priests beat a drum, that the father might not hear the voice of his son, and his heart might not be moved."
Most Christian artwork describes it as looking something kind of like this:

Needless to say, the Canaanites were a very wicked bunch of people.

Reminds me of the Bronze Bull, that one Greek torture device (which its own inventor was also its first test subject/victim), wherein flames would heat up the bull, roasting the victim in a bronze coffin, where his screams would, through the accoustics of the bull, be transfused into something resembling a bull's um, mooing.

Also funny enough, in the Elder Scrolls, the Ancient Nord/Atmoran name for Malacath is Moloch, which in that universe translated to "Mountain Fart"

Coincidentally, the brazen bull was on the "See Also" part of the Wikipedia page about Moloch.

"Mountain Fart"...I'd hate to be the guy in that universe to grow up with the name "Mountain Fart". It's like, "Oh no, everyone! Run for your lives! It's the horrible Mountain Fart!"

He's a god that used to be an Elven hero dude, named Trinimac who got cannabalized by the Daedric Prince Boethiah. Then Boethiah took his appearance, made him dick around, then he literally shat out Trinimac and he became Malacath, and then all those who followed Trinimac became orcs.

Kewl

Well, that's certainly a very...interesting way of transforming into someone else, to say the least.

Yup, I love learning about fictional and ancient religions

For why no one questioned Moses: unless I'm mistaken; Moses was regarded as the Prophet during that time.
To have questioned Moses would have been seen as the same thing as questioning God; and since Moses was credited to have personally led the Hebrews out of Egypt and received the Ten Commandments: he was basically the only person (as far as Ancient Hebrews were concerned) to actually 'know' what the Divine wanted, and was himself a catalyst for Divine acts such as the plagues on Egypt.

While I personally fail to see a significant difference between Caananites killing Caananite children and Hebrews killing Caananite children (regardless of the 'why' behind the act; it's still a child being murdered to please an interpretation of Divine Will)...Moses saw at least one that was good enough to put "Thou shalt not kill" on a shelf.

From a strictly strategic (and in my opinion, abhorrent) view; killing children of an opposed faith or culture harms the longlivity of the opposed group. No children means no one grows up and sires new people to follow/spread the ideals one wants to erase. You kill off the weak ones and wait for the able bodied ones to grow old and frail.
Or weaken the group's ability to keep their population at sustainable numbers. You do need a minimum to keep a group going.

To the best of my knowledge, all 'old world' faiths either called for human sacrifice and/or culling followers of other religions. Humanity in general was a lot more...let's call it 'confrontational' for the sake of being polite.

*edit
I would actually greatly appreciate it if someone more versed in Christian or Hebrew Theology would correct errors that are spotted.
From where I'm standing; it looks like God would have been ok with abortions on grounds that religion is not a 'genetic inheritance' but is taught. A fetus doesn't pray or otherwise acknoledge divinity.

Because religion tends to involve a lot of people getting killed. It happens.

That doesn't explain the drive and fervor for mass abortion pushed by current "feminist supremacists" "LGBTQ" and other groups intersected with them. Pretty much all of them are not part of any religion, pretty much hate it. All in the pursue of sexual "liberty", gender " equality" and social "justice".

I would very much like to see articles about these alleged rally calls for 'mass abortion '.:rainbowderp:
I'm being serious. I would very much like evidence of people openly calling for a push for 'mass abortion'.
I'll certainly agree that a good number of LGBTQ people match the fever pitch of many other fundamentalists; but this is news to me.

Do these count?

https://m.
https://m.

I see you have an affinity for using sensationalist YouTube drama-mongering videos as the backbones for your claims.

I could make a case that Satan himself has literally plotted to invade women's vaginas and probably find around twelve YouTube videos to back it up.

Can you give me those twelve videos?

Probably not that many, it's called a rhetorical hyperbole; you get my point. Use better sources.

That's why I ask if those count. I didn't say "here's my proof". I could go with Jordan Peterson's about the left's abortion rights. But i'll have to dig through his lectures and interviews.

for the first one:
I fail to see how a 'comedy reporter' is an appropriate source. This isn't a rally cry trying to encourage as many women as possible to get abortions.
Use of this clip very literally makes it look like you're playing the part of the screeching reactionary when you spot something you don't like; which is ironic considering how you paint all LGBTQ folk as being 'anti-religion'.

For the second one:
I'll be honest. I stopped watching it for a period of time longer than the length of the video when the woman put the issue of abortion rights in the same room as white supremacy. This is not someone I would take seriously. You know how it's a growing trend to say that victims are 'crisis actors' hired by the 'left' to make the 'right' look bad?
She sounds like an actor paid by the 'right' to make the 'left' look bad.

After actually watching to the end of it:
...no rally cry to get women to march out and get abortions.
She made the off color comment about throwing a party if you got 20 or 0 abortions. Sure the casual banter about what is a very serious topic comes off as inappropriate; I fail to see the message that calls out for mass abortions.

To be fair; I was expecting clips of marches or full demonstrations so I set myself up to be disappointed.
But what you put out is on par with some of the garbage that the far left is putting out.

Now if this motivates you into pursuing your sincerely held moral beliefs; then more power to you; but I don't really see this as constructive.

Well partly but these were recent updates that showed that matter.

I do admit i have to get the proper ones showing rallies about it. But couldn't get them as have to sort through a number of videos. I sincerely apologize for the mediocre presentations.

I wasn't really asking for proof, just backing up Spider's request for articles/sources for the call for a mass abortion.

That said though, I'll bite. Let's look at these videos.

Second video there's absolutely zero mention of a "mass abortion" or anything that comes close to implying it. The woman in that video is talking about the right of people to get abortions and how it's frequently been obstructed, and her campaign to make the protection of that right more public. That's it.

First video I'm 1:40 in and there's zero mention of some kind of rally for a "mass abortion" of any kind - all this person is talking about is the social and political stigma that surrounds the idea of abortion with a bit of a satirical spin on it (as far as I can tell). You saying that either of these videos are mentioning what you think they are isn't even a strawman, it's just a straight-up misinterpretation of the information being given in the videos.

Yeah in hindsight, should have fixed my post about that. Couldn't find the proper links to back it up.

Yeah in hindsight, should have just not gone with the "pseudoscience" approach to making a claim - claim first, then scrapping together shitty """""proof""""" later just because it's what managed to fit your pre-sized window of bias.

You'd probably have an easier time explaining why I'm wrong when I posted this earlier:

While I personally fail to see a significant difference between Caananites killing Caananite children and Hebrews killing Caananite children (regardless of the 'why' behind the act; it's still a child being murdered to please an interpretation of Divine Will)...Moses saw at least one that was good enough to put "Thou shalt not kill" on a shelf.

it looks like God would have been ok with abortions on grounds that religion is not a 'genetic inheritance' but is taught. A fetus doesn't pray or otherwise acknowledge divinity.

I'm honestly surprised you jumped on Apotheosis about abortions when I posted right before him and/or her post.
Between the two of us; I'm the one who quite literally asked for it.

I would actually greatly appreciate it if someone more versed in Christian or Hebrew Theology would correct errors that are spotted.

I just answered to both of you.

Can you point which book and chapter about the Canaanites' children? Been a while since i checked old testament.

Ah, my mistake then:twilightblush:

I could not point out which book or chapter: but on grounds that two users who have both demonstrated extensive knowledge on the subject (one of them being a daily source of verses and songs) didn't argue against the OP's claim; I'm willing to gamble on the notion that such context exists.

I'm confident that Deuteronomy has verses about it, but I could be wrong.

I found entries about Canaanite child sacrifices in Jeremiah, Deuteronomy and Kings... And coincide it with this one that i found too.

https://biblereadingarcheology.com/2016/05/13/did-the-canaanites-sacrifice-their-children/amp/

The nearest parallel I can recall at the moment is when God purged Sodom and Gommorah. Both tackled about the destruction of civilizations that are deep in sinful practices, one of child sacrifice and one of sexual pursuit.

All I can say is that Moses made the call as in pursuit to God's teachings. While true that the Hebrews killed the children to put an end to such practice. The Hebrews never practiced child sacrifice, but the Cannanites do. In addition is the worship of idolatry, and the child sacrifice to the fire of the idols is a climax of their wickedness. If the Hebrews did just go after the adults, the practice can still prevail as the remaining adults goes on to teach the children of said practice.

Lastly is that the souls of the children belongs to God even if they aren't born of His people. The children are deemed innocent of the sins of their parents. Though this does beg the question of the original sin in such regard.

I'm likely wrong in my reasoning here. But this is what i have for this moment.

So ultimately, there is biblical justification for killing children as long as they are not born of God's chosen people; if the intent is to eliminate opposed faiths.
The only difference is who does the actual killing.

So having said that:
Children being born into a culture deemed 'sinful' or being born through 'sinful' practice; are children that God was ok with killing. Since God gets their souls back, there is an argument that no harm is actually being done.

So if the Divine simply takes back innocent souls before the mortal world 'taints' them; then there is an argument to be had about God being ok with abortion. Ancient Hebrews were commanded by Moses to kill children to 'save' them.

I simply do not have the stomach to humor further discussion on this.
As far as I'm concerned, the Hebrews were no better than the Cannanites on the subject of killing children since they both advocated it for religious reasons.
The only significant difference is that the Cannanites only killed their children and the Hebrews went after non-Hebrew children.

Thank you for your time and effort.
Blessed be.

That's why the New Testament came forth and Jesus' role to the lives of all of humanity. But before that, in regards to abortion is of different circumstances although also somewhat contradictory.

http://skepticsannotatedbible.com/says_about/abortion.html

The life of the unborn is heavy and can cost the life of an adult.

The Old Testament has fulfilled its purpose, and Jesus' teachings in the New Testament holds us to the forgiveness and praise of God. He spoke to all of humanity, not merely to the Israelites (Hebrews) anymore. He is both the High Priest and the sacrifice for God's forgiveness to humanity, should we as individuals accept it.

I can't blame you for feeling it, but we don't have to dwell on it. The Hebrews, Israelites, Canaanites, and others don't matter. In regards to killing, no different during World War 2 when allies against the nazi regime, Filipinos who fought to protect their lands against invaders, a police against syndicates, and yourself/myself against an armed criminal.

The High Priest in the old testament perform sacrifice of pure animals like lambs to the altar as offering to forgive the sins of the people during the year. Jesus performed this with Himself as he is the purest, for he had not sinned and killed. The one eternal gift for us to accept on our own free will, and be lifted from the curse of the sin.

Your welcome, and thank you as well.

I'm not entirely sure that it was just the idolatry and sin, that moved Yahweh to command Moses to kill the Canaanite children. I'm sure the inhabitants of Se'ir, the Edomites, worshiped their own gods instead, and were likely guilty of sin as well. So were the Midianites.

How familiar are you with the topic of the Nephilim?

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 32