Christian Bronies 982 members · 235 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

We are not saved from God's wrath. We are saved from loneliness, isolation and the spiritual death that comes from the meaninglessness of a life lived without love.

It's taken several years of long spiritual reflection to get to this point in my life. When Scripture says we are saved from wrath (Romans 5:9), it means we are saved from that poisonous emotion of anger through God's grace.

I don't care if I'm going up against several centuries of orthodoxy. Here I stand. Here I remain.

I don't care if I'm going up against several centuries of orthodoxy. Here I stand. Here I remain.

It's not exactly a heterodox position. There were other models of the Atonement in Church history before Anselm's satisfaction theory and penal substitution. The dominant view of the first millennium Church was a model called "Christus Victor" (Latin for "Christ the Victor"). It states that the work of Christ was first and foremost victory over the powers that held mankind captive: sin, death, and the devil.

It is still the dominant view of Eastern Orthodoxy, while most Western churches have adopted either Anselm's satisfaction theory or penal substitution.

I've been meaning to learn more about Eastern Orthodoxy.

It's easy enough to learn about. There are plenty of online resources from websites run by Orthodox Christians. Finding an Orthodox church in America is the hard part. There are Orthodox congregations in America, but they're a much smaller percentage of the population than Catholic or Protestant. Estimates show that there are somewhere between 3 to 6 million Orthodox adherents in America.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5