Christian Bronies 982 members · 235 stories
Comments ( 10 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 10

How can a person have humility and self-worth? I've always thought those two were the opposite of each other. On the other hand, I also don't understand how Christians can have sex since lust is a sin and my mind frames everything in black and white and makes everything a nightmarish, zero-sum game.

1. humility and self-worth are NOT opposite. The point of humility is not arrogant and be full of pride that you think you are better than others.
Having self-worth is knowing that you are special. So you can have humility while having self-worth.

2. SEX IS NOT A SIN. But lust is, Lust means having impure thoughts on women other than your partner- so it simply means having a thought of sex on a woman other than your wife. Sex with a wife is a good thing and in Song of Songs Bible actually blesses sex between husband and wife.

Good question, I suppose self-worth could be considered along the lines of "I am human, therefore I don't deserve to be treated like trash and if my works are good I should be happy to do good." as for the sex thing, it's so far ingrained into human nature that for some people it'd be like telling them not to drink water, so god put in place marriage, because some people cannot control that sort of thing.

Of course sex isn't a sin-my mind is just one, scary place.

Sex can't be all sinful; if it was, and we all stopped doing it, we'd die out. Sex is good inside a lawful marriage (preferably between a marriage between a man and woman that love each other). It is sinful when adultery and prostitution are involved.

As for humility and self worth, I agree with Pyro.

I actually put that there as one of the irrational thoughts my mind cooks up. I've come to realize recently that I have a problem with extreme black and white thinking.

If extensive black and white thinking is a problem, then we're all equally screwed.

Hey, if getting these questions out of your head helps, we're all very obliged to help out by answering them! :pinkiehappy:

Humility & self-worth aren't opposite sides of the fence. Self-worth is pretty self-explaining, it's where you you have confidence in yourself. Humility primarily means having respect and modesty for others as well and not thinking less of them simply because you also happen to think highly of yourself.

There's a C.S. Lewis quote which gots something like this: A man can build the best cathedral in the world, and know full well that it is the best in the world, and feel no more or less happiness than if his neighbor did it.
So the truly humble person HAS self confidence, and ave a true knowledge of their worth.
As for sex, i was pondering that a few weeks ago. The answer i received was that righteous sex, good sex, is about being vulnerable, with all your secrets and weaknesses shared between you and your partner, and they are covered, filled, or compensated for.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 10