Christian Bronies 982 members · 235 stories
Comments ( 9 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 9

I was raised in the "Sinners in the Hands of an Angry God" school of thought (go read that sermon for a small taste of that). I was taught that I was utterly unworthy, could never possibly deserve God's love, was completely unworthy, etc., etc, an insect held by God over the flames of Hell.

MLP has started to remind me of some of the...nobler aspects of my former faith. Forgiveness, for example. Kindness. Even cutie marks remind me of the idea that everyone has a purpose (Corinthians 12, that's where it is.)

I sometimes think I want to go back, but my idea of Christ is that of the vengeful judge. I can't reconcile that with this...emptiness inside of me, this longing for love and mercy.

Could you explain, please?

Thankfully, the Bible gives us a clear message about how God really sees us, and it's not how Jonathan Edwards described it. He loved us, even while we were still sinners, and made a way for us to be reunited with Him.
"For God so loved the world, that He gave His one and only Son, that whoever believes in Him shall not perish, but have eternal life." - John 3:16
"But God demonstrates His own love for us in this; that while we were still sinners, Christ died for us." - Romans 5:8

And He's not some vengeful Judge who eagerly anticipates condemning people. The Scriptures say otherwise...
"The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance" - 2 Peter 3:9
In other words, He does not desire that anyone should be lost: instead He desires that all would repent and turn to Him. Whenever we do this, we are considered children of God and joint-heirs with Christ.
"See what great love that the Father has lavished on us, that we should be called children of God!" - 1 John 3:1

The clear message of the Bible is that God loves us, and He wants to save us and adopt us, calling us his sons and daughters. But He can only save us if we accept the sacrifice He Himself made at the cross for us. It's all dependent on us exercising our free will to accept His free gift of salvation. There are no works you have to do to obtain this gift, all you need to do is accept it.

Remember the kind things Christ did; He healed the sick and injured, cured people of awful, incurable diseases and conditions, banished demons, and fed crowds. He ate with sinners. That isn't the attitude of someone who is obsessed with judging people. That sounds like love and mercy in action.

Remember too what Christ said about God's love;

John 3:16; "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish but have eternal life ."

John 10:10; "The thief does not come except to steal, and to kill, and to destroy. I have come that they may have life, and that they may have it more abundantly."

Matthew 19:14; Jesus said, "Let the little children come to me, and do not hinder them, for the kingdom of heaven belongs to such as these."

2 Peter 3:9; "The Lord is not slow in keeping his promise, as some understand slowness. Instead he is patient with you, not wanting anyone to perish, but everyone to come to repentance."

Jeremiah 29:11; "For I know the plans I have for you,” declares the Lord, “plans to prosper you and not to harm you, plans to give you hope and a future."

God does not toss away anyone who really wants Him. He will move heaven and Earth so that His children may have life. The people who are truly in danger are those who reject Him, and I'm not talking about the "occasional" sin a believer may commit, I mean longstanding defiance and rejection of Him. Yes Jesus is judge, but He is a righteous Judge, one who will not count guilty anyone who truly loves Him and accepts his death on the cross as payment for sin.

I've had my own struggles regarding the relation between God's mercy and His justice. But I believe that God forgives anyone who truly comes to Him with a repentant heart.

Apparently, we've had different teachers. My family noted the forgiveness of God (though not ignoring His judgement) and His love.

This doesn't sound like artists who were afraid of God. Respectful, yes. But afraid, no. Don't mistake me, we should always love and "fear" (hold in reverence and awe) God, but living in that kind of fear is unhealthy, and to the point, it is against Scripture;

2 Timothy 1:7; "For God has not given us a spirit of fear, but of power and of love and of a sound mind."

Don't be afraid to approach God with good and earnest requests. He has a place in His heart for you.

God love us more than we can imagine. One of my favorite songs really focuses on this. https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=mITRKCDel44
If you really want to feel God's love though, praying and finding a community are great ways of doing so. I almost solely feel Him when surrounded by other Christians. By 'community' I don't just mean church, but a group of God-lovingpeople that can show God's love. Easier said than done.
Sorry about saying the clichés, but they're overused for a reason.
God Bless and good luck!

I can't reconcile that with this...emptiness inside of me, this longing for love and mercy.

God is what He is, regardless of what you want Him to be. The truth often turns out differently than what you desire.

Since God is a bit shy and doesn't want to show Himself, the Bible is the only source of the description of His personality. Perhaps you should go with that instead of listening to fallible humans who have their own agendas.

God loves us. He always loves us and never stops. He loves us so much that he gave his one and only son for us to be saved. He wants us all to himself over he made us and doesn't wish to see us go to the pits of Hell. He wants us up there in Heaven with him, to see the glory and grace that he wishes to share with us all.

Thanks for responding, everyone. I think I'm starting to get a better understanding.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 9