Christian Bronies 982 members · 235 stories
Comments ( 12 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 12

Okay, I've never asked for this sort of help before, but I need it now. I have a sorta friend, LightningSword. He took yesterday's episode really badly, and as much as I don't want to divulge this sort of thing, I feel I have to. The show has saved him several times, and I'm worried now that with how badly he took the episode, his depression may spiral downwards into something he can't go back from. I... I honestly don't know what to do at this point and I need help guys.

If his mental balance is reliant on a tv show then whether he's doing well or terribly you need to encourage him to get professional help. Tv shows come and go and life goes on.

It's one thing to have a certain episodes content stick with you for many years and impact your life, but if watching the regular new content of a show is keeping you from dark thoughts and actions then you are escaping reality. The show, while it's on, is only masking symptoms and when the show changes or is canceled the actual cause of your issues have to be addressed, and it's probably gotten worse because you spent so much time avoiding it while watching tv.

Yeah, that's what I've been thinking. Problem is, I just don't know how to say that to him without him blowing up at me or blocking me entirely.

Look Bricklayer, you seem like a nice and caring person. I don't want to offend you or turn you off from communicating with me in the future. If I've noticed something that I think could improve your life, but that you might not want to hear, would you want me to share it with you?

Yeah, I suppose I would.

See what happened there? You just gave me permission to give you advice. Next I say something nice 'you have great insight into the MLP universe' followed by my advice 'you should go get professional help' and finish it with something nice again 'I value your friendship and want to continue chatting with you'. It's called the $hit sandwich approach and when used after getting permission to coach it basically always works.

If your friend doesn't give you permission to be advised by you then you can still give him the $hit sandwich but he may or may not take it well.

Of course I'll pray.

Thanks man, I need all the help I can get.

Hope he gets better.

But try your best to gently aid him of his problems tho.

I'd like to try and help and give a prayer. If enough folks try, something has got to stick right?! :pinkiehappy:

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 12