Christian Bronies 982 members · 235 stories
Comments ( 18 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 18

Prolly more like 90% tbh

You guys have a really wide definition of conservative then.

A better question would be: are most of the really obnoxiously pious Christians conservatives? Spoiler: the answer's yes.

Of course I do. It's obviously everyone except me.

6013282 What is it that you're worried about?

Well, your best bet is to look up polling data, as we can only relate our own perception and experience. However . . .

It's really no accident that the 'Bible Belt' happens to be one of the more conservative areas of the country. Social conservatism is basically the status quo of social attitudes. Liberalism is more or less a vehicle for change, and liberals often challenge traditionalist values. For Americans, Christianity rests at the heart of those traditionalist values.

I was more or less a left-leaning Christian, but I grew increasingly uncomfortable with a major portion of the Christian community's stance against things like science, and something so obviously biological as sexual preference. There are plenty of Christians that can reconcile their faith with modern values. I could not, but that's not even the half of it, and a conversation best left for another day.

I don't know about most Christians, but I'm liberal and so is the rest of my church.

Oh, and even though the Church is associated with conservatism, it's too big of an organization to be entirely any one thing, and its views have things in common with both conservative and liberal viewpoints. For example, Pope Francis is against abortion, which is associated with conservatism, but he's endorsed environmentalism, which is associated with liberalism.

Enviromentalism isn't really something that I would even think of as something with a divide across religious lines.

I'm not technically conservative, but more on the side of LIbertarian(Yes, I know I misspelled that and I'm far too lazy at the moment to correct it.)
but I'm curious...why is being Conservative a bad thing?

What about the rednecks? Heck, most Amish are apparently Republican

Being libertarian doesn't count. When we're talking about the faults of conservatism in relation to Christianity, we're exclusively talking about social conservatism. American social conservatism is largely rooted in traditional Judeo-Christian values . . . which is where a lot of the homophobia and sexism on the right comes from.

As for your question, I personally have an easier time aggreeing to disagree on economic issues than social issues. If a person tries to pass off economics as a simple subject with clear, uncontestable answers, then that person is a fool. However, I can't think of any one aspect of social conservatism that I could defend in the slightest. It just needs to die in a fire.

I would say I'm a lot less conservative than i was a few years ago. Over time, I explored myself more, accepted more parts of myself, and quit denying them. Granted it takes me a long time to change, literal years I'm so stubborn, but with time I changed. I think over time there will be less conservatives, with a some conservatives turning like I did, and more new christians not being conservative.

By then, what is considered conservative will change a bit. Social conservatism seeks to maintain the status quo, while liberalism seeks to change it. As newer ideas are more widely accepted, they become the 'moderate' position. Speaking specifically about LGBT issues, the community has seen somewhat of a surge in acceptance over the last decade or so, which is why the SCOTUS decision to uphold marriage equality was possible. While it's still considered a leftist position to be supported of gay rights, I don't think we have too much longer before this is no longer the case.

Diving back over a hundred years, the abolishinists would have been considered liberals or progressives, whichever you prefer, but by today's standards, Lincoln was actually pretty damned racist.

*shrug* one big thing today for me is perhaps we try to change things at too fast a pace for many to accept, causing two extremes.

I've heard center-right people complain about 'moving things too fast', and I don't buy into it at all. Real change can never happen soon enough, and it doesn't happen at all until you drag the rest of society kicking and screaming. Conflict and strife will occure because of this, but that's just the nature of the beast. People have actually tried to use the civil rights movement as an example of a calmer, fluffier transition towards societal proggresion, completely ignoring how volatile the fifties and sixties really were as a result of the civil rights movement.

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 18