Thirty Minute Ponies 136 members · 57 stories
Comments ( 5 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 5

One fine day, purple nerd alicorn princess pony was walking down the streets of Ponyville, and she was happy.

Then she remembered that fine days in Ponyville had a habit of going horribly wrong. It may have been a little silly to anypony who didn't live in Ponyville, but purple nerd alicorn princess pony had first hoof experience of this.

Naturally, the universe decided to prove purple nerd alicorn princess pony right.

"Hi Twilight!" cried pink bouncy earth pony, as she fired a grappling hook from her Party Cannon. The grappling hook dug into the soft, pillowy flesh of the giant marshmallow monster that was currently rampaging through the streets of Ponyville. Pink bouncy earth pony climbed up the rope, and dug her teeth into the monster.

"Hi Pinkie," said purple nerd alicorn princess pony, "I think that I am going to go back inside until it's a nice overcast day."

"Okie-dokie-lokie!" cried pink bouncy earth pony, in between bites of the marshmallow monster.

The prompt: One fine day...
Special rule: Your story must start with those three words.

This is a thirty minute writing prompt, meaning that you have thirty minutes to finish your story from the time that you start writing. You may take as much time as you like beforehand to think, plan, outline or sacrifice baked goods to the eldritch abomination that is Pinkie Pie, but once the first word is on the page, the time begins. When you're done, post your story to this thread, and in the style of the TMP mods of yore, I will read and give it a comment when I can.

Usually, TMP prompts would have a six to eight hour window for submission, but for these Legacy Prompts, there is no submission deadline. Go ahead and post something a year from now if you want. Bear in mind, however, that chance of getting feedback drops off dramatically after about a week. Good luck!

Legacy Prompt No.52, untitled by KwirkyJ

One fine day in the magical land of Equestria, Princess Twilight was giving up.
“Spike? Spike!” Twilight dashed into the library, the door bursting wide. “Spiiiike!”
“Mmphr,” came a voice behind the door.
Twilight was already halfway to the bookshelves. “Spike, stop hiding. I need you to help me look for something. I’ll start in biographies, you’ll get mare’s tales and other anecdotal entries, and we’ll meet in the historical reference if we don’t find anything.”
Spike peeled himself from the wall and re-inflated himself with a few gasping breaths, waddling over with unsteady legs. “And… and what are we… looking for?”
“Hm? Oh! That. Nightmare Moon. Or Sombra.”
Spike livened up. “Right away! Is something wrong? Where are the others?”
Twilight mumbled something, glowering at a string of books floating past her.
“Didn’t quite get that. What’s up?”
“They don’t matter. Just keep looking.”
Spike paused, a few small tomes in his claws, lifted an eyebrow. “Oooookay.” When she didn’t respond he slowly resumed his assigned task, listening to her murmur.
“Of all the… dumb… stupid… I’ll show them. Show them all. …not fair.”
Suddenly louder, Twilight ordered, “Spike, take a letter. I need the Canterlot Archives to look for me, too. It can’t wait.”
“Uh, sure?”
“To whom it may concern. Write that down, Spike. To whom it may concern, I require all available materials on the Nightmare Moon incident, former, and all reports on King Sombra in the Crystal Kingdom and the practice and nature of dark magic. Additionally, any references pertaining to star or blood pacts. By order of Princess Twilight Sparkle.”
“…star or blood.…” Spike paused, blinked.
“Just write it, Spike.”
The look brooked no argument, so he did, and promptly belched it away.
Twilight quickly turned back to her books.
“So….,” Spike ventured, “Sombra?”
“If you’re worried about dark magic, you needn’t. He was evil to begin with. Completely different!”
“R-right. Look, do you wanna talk about—”
“If you’re going to say star or blood pacts, yes. Anything else, not so much. Now. Anecdotes. Nightmare Moon. Go.”
“Twilight, you’re freaking me out.”
Her gaze abated. “I know. But I have to do this. I can appreciate why Luna did what she did. She was unnecessary. Is unnecessary, just like me. A millennium without any other rule, and Equestria did just fine. There is no reason for me to be a princess, and it’s not fair that I became one, and it’s not fair what ponies ask me to do as that princess.” She took a steadying breath. “No. No more.”
“You remember the mess with the Tantabus, right?”
“That was Luna’s magic. Again, completely different.”
“Wanna… find Discord? He might be able to help.”
“Don’t be ridiculous.”
There was a knock on the door. Both turned towards it, one in eager relief, the other approaching shock.
After a glance towards the elder sister of his heart, Spike went to answer.
“Hello?”
“GOOD DAY! WE WISH TO SPEAK WITH TWILIGHT SPARKLE.”
Spike took a beat to straighten his spines.
“Sure, Princess Luna. I, uh, guess you got the scroll?”
“INDEED, AND WE WERE MOST DISTURBED. MIGHT WE ENTER?”
“Uh, sure. And, princess? It’s a library.”
“WHAT—Oh. Verily.”
Twilight had yet to move.
“Twilight,” said Luna, steadily closing the distance, “be not so alarmed. We wish thee only well…” Her horn lit, and seemed to struggle for a moment. “How dost thy friend… Ah!”
From within her mane, Luna extracted a small cake and a box, a gentle, cautious smile forming.
“We—I—thought thou mightst desire a confection and company, with embellishment of delightful weather, clear air, and a new game to play.”
Twilight’s mouth worked, but any words were held captive.
“Celestia informs me you have never played. Neighponese, ‘Shogi,’ they call it. Almost but not quite precisely unlike chess.”
“I… I…”
“The cake is chocolate-raspberry marble.”

Author's Note:
I may or may not return to this prompt with a more serious response. Alas, I forgot to include the 'cigarette pacts' joke while writing.

4704485 This is a fun story. Twilight feeling overshadowed by Celestia, and wanting to give up all this princess stuff. And Luna at the end, comes bearing gifts and cake to help Twilight get over her episode. I also love how blood and star pacts are perfectly valid, yet Discord, a literal being capable of altering reality, is dismissed with 'Don't be ridiculous'. Nice work!

Legacy Prompt 52: Fine Indeed

One fine day, Twilight Sparkle awoke to a strange thumping noise. It wasn’t a normal sound, nor was it repeated at regular intervals, and for some time, her mind simply wouldn’t process it correctly. Eventually, though, it did get through to her, at least enough to make her open her eyes. When she opened them, she saw everything through a grayish haze, right up until a blue hoof slammed into that haze straight above her nose.
After Twilight’s panic subsided, she concentrated, allowing her power to build up and focusing a small bead of energy at her horn. She then leaned forward, allowing that horn to touch the surface of the gray in front of her. In response it parted, spilling her (and a few hooffuls of the gray goop she’d been floating in) out, onto the surface of the library’s stargazing deck. She took a few seconds to shake the goop off, then looked up, to where the owner of the blue hoof (Rainbow Dash, she noted) was standing, glaring down a trio of other ponies. Two of them she didn’t recognize; the third, however, was Bon Bon.
Rainbow must have heard her fall; the pegasus mare’s ears flicked backwards, and she called out without taking her eyes off of the others. “I think you need to get back inside, Twi - this bunch of changelings was trying to do something with you. Let me take care of them.”
Twilight’s dropping face met with her rapidly rising hoof. “Dash, would you please stop threatening my guests?” She stepped past Rainbow, putting herself between the pegasus mare and the others, then bowed her head. “I apologize for my friend’s belligerence,” she said. “She’s still learning that not every changeling needs fighting.” She then turned, looking toward the unfamiliar mare. “You’re their queen, I take it?”
The queen, currently disguised as a white unicorn mare, nodded. “I am. Silent Snow, at your service. I am pleased to meet you, Miss Sparkle.”
Rainbow instantly shot past Twilight. “No, Twi! Get to safety! Don’t let them brainwash you!”
Twilight pulled Rainbow’s head aside, allowing her to stare straight into Rainbow’s eyes. “Dash, you do realize that was the entire point of today, right?”
Rainbow drew back, stunned. “What?”
Once more, Twilight’s rising hoof met her face. “Weren’t you listening when I explained it at the town meeting last Tuesday?” She sighed as she continued. “I’m casting a spell, in concert with Queen Snow, to ‘brainwash’ the entire town… just enough to keep everypony from freaking out about having undisguised changelings wandering around over the weekend. That’s the entire point of the Harmony Faire we’ve been planning! You know, that big fair you’ve been looking forward to all week long?”
“You can’t be serious! There’s no way-” Rainbow broke off, glaring. “They’ve already brainwashed you, haven’t they? That’s why they had you in that cocoon thing, so they could twist your mind around to their evil schemes!” She spun, facing the changelings themselves. “I’m onto you. Let her go right now!”
Bon Bon stepped over, staring Rainbow down. “You’re absolutely right, Miss Dash. I did try to ‘brainwash’ her.”
Dash stared. “I knew it!”
“Indeed,” Bon Bon said calmly, “I gave her a command to get some rest.” She glanced over at Twilight, who blushed, then back to Dash. “The entire reason for that was because she’s been so focused on this fair idea that she was getting delirious. Ask Spike about the letter she tried to have him send to the Princess.” She glanced back at Twilight, then mouthed a couple of words toward Rainbow, who merely looked puzzled. At the sight of Dash’s confusion, Bon Bon sighed and spoke the same words aloud. “Dancing macadamias.”
On hearing those words, Twilight cringed.
Rainbow, on the other hand, merely looked even more confused before her gaze hardened. “You’re trying to trick me,” she growled. “You’re trying to brainwash me, too! I won’t let you take me without a fight!”
The last of the changelings, disguised as a gray pegasus stallion, stepped forward. “Very well, then. If it’s a fight you want, I’ll be happy to oblige you, ma’am.” His eyes went slightly out of focus for a second, and he grinned as they returned to normal. “In fact, how about we make those the stakes? If I win, I’m allowed to command you into not interfering with Miss Sparkle’s Harmony Faire. If you win, though, then for the duration of the Faire I will obey your orders. Does this sound agreeable?”
“Heck, no! But it’ll at least keep one of you creeps from being able to hurt Twi!” Rainbow took to the air, spinning to face Twilight. “Don’t worry, Twi, as soon as I’m through with him, I’ll be back to take care of these other two.” She then turned back to the changeling stallion. “We’ll fight on those clouds up there, mister.”
The stallion nodded. “Wild Wash,” he said, “Sankyu.”
Rainbow froze, and after a few seconds Twilight glanced over at her. “Aren’t you going to tell him ‘you’re welcome’, Dash?”
Dash shook her head, a manic grin slowly covering it. “That’s not what he said, Twi. I outrank him.” She then turned toward Wash, letting her grin go feral. “Rainbow Dash. Nidan.” She took just enough time to see him blanch, and then she was off, flying toward the clouds she’d pointed out.
Wash remained on the ground a moment longer. “Is she really a black belt?”
“I… I’m not sure. I think Apple Bloom mentioned something about that, once.”
“Great.” Wash swallowed, hard, before speaking again. “May I please ask your forgiveness now for whatever it is she’s going to have me do?” He took off without waiting for an answer.
As the two fliers receded into the distance, Queen Snow swung her head toward Twilight. “Is life in Ponyville always this strange?”
Twilight shrugged, then smiled. “You get used to it,” she said, before stepping over to the door. “We still need to speak with the mayor, your majesty. After you?” She held the door until the two remaining changelings had stepped inside the library, then followed them, heading out to enjoy another fine day in Ponyville.

4708714 It's just changelings all the way down with you, isn't it? (Spoiler: CHeighlund is actually a changeling. (not. Probably.)) Regardless, this is a good little scene, with Queen Snow being beffudled by how weird life in Ponyville can get, and Twilight having long since crossed into acceptance and being used to the oddities of Ponyville. Nice job!

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 5