Thirty Minute Ponies 136 members · 57 stories
Comments ( 21 )
  • Viewing 1 - 50 of 21
Donnys Boy
Group Admin

“It was so good seeing all of you again,” Twilight says, beaming at the line of girls standing before her, just outside the front doors of Canterlot High School.

“Likewise.” Applejack grins and tips her hat. “Don’t be a stranger now, you hear?”

Meanwhile, Rarity dabs at the corner of her eye with a handkerchief. “We shall miss you, as always. Do remember to write to us through the journal.”

“Of course, Rarity.”

“Oh, and if you could include some drawings of all the cute little animals in Equestria, that’d be very nice!”

Twilight chuckles and scratches the back of her neck. “Well, uh, not all of them are cute, exactly … but I’ll see what I can do.”

Pinkie jumps up and begins waving her hand in the air, like they’re still in class and she has the answer to the equation on the whiteboard. “And don’t forget to let us know when you’re coming next time!” She raises an eyebrow and somehow, impossibly, squints at the same time. “I can’t throw you a super fantastic ‘Welcome back’ party if you don’t let us know you’re visiting!”

“Sorry about that.”

“Ignore her,” Rainbow interjects, elbowing Pinkie aside, more or less gently. “Without you, we never could’ve won the Friendship Games--so as far as I’m concerned, we’re cool.”

“Thanks, Rainbow.”

Finally Twilight’s gone down the line and reached the base of the Canterlot High statue, shimmering with powerful magic. Sunset’s the only one left, and she smiles tentatively at Twilight. Twilight smiles back.

“Take care of yourself,” is all Sunset says.

“You, too.”

And then she’s stepping into the portal, that crackling, magical energy surrounding her, enveloping her. Her limbs shorten, her spine twists, her fingers get pulled in toward her palms, and it’s strange and it’s exhilarating and it’s somehow so familiar and something she’ll never grow used to. By the time she steps out of the mirror on the other side, she’s standing firm and strong on four hooves.

“Hi, girls! I can’t wait to tell you about--”

It isn’t right.

She feels it before she sees it, before she notices the dust smothering every surface, before she spots the broken windows or crumbling walls of the Great Hall. It’s her home, her castle, but it isn’t right. Nothing looks the way she left. Everything looks all wrong.

It takes a moment or two longer for her to realize that even worse than what she’s seeing is what she’s hearing. Or, rather what she isn’t hearing. The castle lies utterly and unusually still, and the silence slips into her chest, squeezing, suffocating, until she can barely breathe.

“Welcome home, Princess.”

Instinctively she whirls around, only to find herself face to face with Discord. But he’s all wrong, too. There’s no jeering in his sad little smile, no mockery in his quiet voice. His eyes, his terrible red eyes that always dance and laugh and promise all sorts of mayhem, stare steadily into Twilight’s own, and those eyes are every bit as dead as anything else in the the Great Hall.

“What … what happened?” Twilight swallows. Her voice is trembling, and it also doesn’t sound right. Doesn’t sound the way it usually does. The way it should. “Where is everypony, Discord?”

Discord slowly shakes his head. “You really don’t have any idea just how long you’ve been off gallivanting in that world of hairless apes … do you?”

The prompt: Just how long have I been gone?

This is a thirty minute writing prompt, meaning you have thirty minutes to finish your story from the time you start writing. You may take as much time as you wish to think, plan, or outline before you begin, but once the first word is on the page, the timer begins. When you are finished, post your story to this thread, and, in the tradition of the TMP of ye olden days, I will read and give it a comment when I can. (If you'd like some firmer critique, or if there's a particular area in which you'd like critique, please let me know in an author's note. I'll do what I can to accommodate.)

Traditionally, TMP prompts would have a six-hour window in which to submit, but for these legacy prompts, there will be no limit after the prompt is posted. Go ahead and post something a year from now, if you like. Just bear in mind that I'll be less likely to respond with feedback to anything submitted more than a week after the prompt.

Have fun, and I look forward to reading your stories!

Legacy Prompt No.33, Pines by KwirkyJ

The letter found me, and there was nothing to avoid it. In the span of one hour I had informed my research partners, gathered my few belongings and Boulder, sent my reply by Pegasus courier, and boarded a train for the heartland. That I did all these at a walking pace would astound most... I always thought it went to show how little ponies thought of walking.

The thee days of travel were not pleasant, lifted from the Base Earth and a prisoner to my thoughts, but Boulder was there to keep in my company. Other ponies of all tribes came and went, most content to send a furtive glance in my direction, uncertain. I delighted a young filly by name of Quick Step with a geode from my bags. The rock could be replaced; her joy could never be.

I petted Boulder often, his stead presence merely at my side often feeling insufficient. I am sure that I slept, but I do not remember it.

It was with mixed feelings that I greeted the Earth again upon arrival at the station, doubly so with my siblings gathered there. I was very happy to be rejoined with them, true, but it was also terribly sad.

I did not need to look at Inkie or Blinkie, but I did anyway. The moment was enough for greeting. There was nothing for the matter that words could articulate that Feeling could not express more deeply. For Pinkie, however, words were required, and she was instantly upon me.

"OhmygiodnessMaud, you came, you're here, I mean you said you would but we didn't know for four days and we thought maybe you wouldn't come back because of everything but then we got your letter and I wasn't sure if you really meant it but they reminded me that you wouldn't lie about that kind of thing and I felt even worse because I... I..."

I let her hold on to me, and she began sobbing. She looked how I felt.

"Pinkie," I said, "it's okay. We'll take care of things now, together."

She composed herself after a moment, and we were joined by her Ponyville friends who had been courteously standing to the side. I remember my startlement from not recognizing the colt behind the ticket booth.

To the outside observer, the homestead appeared as it always had. The shed and the adjoining silo stood, as did the homestead flanked by the unflinching pair of pines. That would change soon enough, but it was a deeper lack that evinced any change -- a hollowness I had never felt in the land before.

All the same, I announced myself well before entering the door.

What greeted me immediately was the stark lack of change. I had become so inured to the rushing pace of the greater world -- normal life -- that it was startling, for all that it was familiar. I paced thought the hall, reviewing the bookshelf, our old rooms, the painting and the fireplace and mantle that had never found use. Behind me stood Blinkie like a statue. Inkie wound herself about, in her perpetual dance to the unheard music of magma far below. Her movements recalled my infantile jest that she wanted to be a Pegasus and leave the Earth behind -- a jest to which Mother's punishment ensued such blasphemy never passed my mind again.

Pinkie waited outside.

I delayed entering Mother's bedroom for as long as possible. The crunch of the soil beneath my hooves and the occasional words with Pinkie's friends would serve only so long.

We busied ourselves for a time outside around the pines. Applejack was enlisted, a long-lost cousin, to fell them. Her aid simplified the task immensely, as she could ask the trees to yield their great selves -- no need to move the whole of the Earth that embraced their penetrating roots.

Lady Rarity Belle expressed confusion that we did not sever them at the ground and leave the roots to waste.

The princess Twilight offered to fashion the boards, and I agreed even without Pinkie's encouragement -- the idea of a Unicorn manufacturing Mother's casket gave me perverse delight. Father would not have minded, on his own.

At last, there was nothing to do but move them. Being the eldest, the duty fell to me, and I would not shirk it. I asked the others to wait separately, and they did.

In the bedroom they lay, side by side. I was startled by how withered they had become. Growing up, even to my departure, they appeared to age as a landscape -- it had been easy to forget them as living things. Before me then, I was confronted with the fact of the matter, more difficult even than the reality. My parents had grown old.

There was no reason in my doing it beyond that it felt right: before I moved them, I touched each in turn, and I said, "Father, I'm still doing my best. Mother... You're not made of stone, after all."

I do not care to think of the burial, but it was very much a simple business.

When I finally left, I looked back, the vacancy inside now visible by two pine saplings freshly planted aside the house.

Author's Note:
Originally written in snatches on a phone, I know for a fact that this went over the half-hour, even taking into account a generous factor-of-three to accommodate reduced typing speed and interruptions; it still needs to be part of a larger narrative that there is no time (or cohesive ideas yet) to write.

Also, welcome to TMP moderation once again!

Legacy Prompt No.33, Phonograph by KwirkyJ

"Tiaaaa!"

Celestia startled, turning quickly from from her aide to down the corridor. Another shout reminded her that she wasn't imagining things this time.

Around the corner barrelled a pale blue Luna, eyes wide, her assigned pegasus guards struggling to keep up.

"Tia! There be... In Our quarters, there be..."

Celestia spread her wings beckoningly and Luna ran uninterrupted into them. "Red Tape," she said to her aide, "inform the cabinet I will be delayed several minutes, and they are to begin in my absence."

Tape looked about to demur, but nodded and cantered away dutifully.

"Lulu, what is the matter?"

Luna pulled back slightly to look up into Celestia's concerned gaze.

"We... We were roused by such music, but there be naught in Our chambers but..."

"...But?"

"Come, please?"

Celestia strode purposefully, Luna never ceasing to touch her, be it with her barrel or a brush of wing.

How much she has regressed, Celestia thought. And how I've missed her...

The walk was very short, so no other words passed between them until they crossed through the massive doors.

Luna pointed. "There, in the corner."

Celestia moved forward, towards the ornate stand supporting a phonograph. A symphony sounded from its bugle, a horn carrying a melody.

"A music box," Celestia explained. "A phonograph, it is called."

"It carries the sound of such music as We have never... How be this sound produc'd?"

"It is a recording. A technology invented not yet two hundred years old. Some of the instrumtents played are also alien to you. It records the sound only, not the musicians themselves."

Luna tucked her head behind her mane in contemplation. ...Or maybe shame?

Celestia gave a closer look at the revolving turntable, reading its title.

"Beethooven's ninth symphony," she said. "I approve of the majordomo's selection."

Luna said nothing, pressing into her sister's side.

"Luna, it has been only two days, no one could ask you to adjust to such a change quickly. Do you dislike it?"

"Neigh," Luna said quickly, if subdued. "It... It is beautiful. We wish to wake to music every day. Yet, until this moment... We had not realized..."

"Realized what, my dear Luna?"

"...We have been... away... for a very long time, indeed."

Author's Note:
This one written well withing the time limit. I had meant for it to be light and silly, but it took a heartfelt turn. May or may not be the same Luna as in prompt 32.

Legacy Prompt #33: “The Long and Winding Road” by Gojira007

Fluttershy felt her smile widening as she watched the last of the geese pass through the air. “Goodbye!” she called out to them. “Have a happy Winter!”
They honked back, and kept honking until they were too far off for the Pegasus to hear anymore. She gave the gentlest of sighs, but her smile held strong. “I’ll miss you while you’re gone,” she said, as she always did when these days rolled around, “but that just means I’ll be all the happier to say hello when you come back.”
With that, and one last, long look at the setting sun on the horizon, she turned back for Ponyville. Yet the moment she took one step, she froze immediately. There was another pony heading back towards town. “It…it can’t be….” The Pegasus whispered, taking another hesitant step forward.
She blinked a few times, wondering if it wasn’t some trick of the light. Yet each time she looked, the pony was still there. Still walking, slowly, toward Ponyville. “It can’t be….” Fluttershy whispered again, tears beginning to line her eyes even as she continued taking step after step ahead.
And then those steps became a gallop. And the gallop became a swift glide. And the swift glide became a tackling hug as Fluttershy wrapped her hooves around… “APPLEJACK!”
“F…Fluttershy…?” the Earth Pony stammered, practically falling over in the pegasus’ embrace. “Is that…are you…am I…?”
“Yes, yes, yes!” came the sobbing answer as she rubbed her head back and forth along Applejack’s shoulder, eyes closed as the tears flowed out. “You’re home, you’re home, you’re home.”
There was a soft, hoarse chuckle from the Earth Pony. “Yeah…yeah, I am,” she replied. “Hope y’all didn’t miss me too much….”
Fluttershy only tightened the hug. “What happened…?” she sniffled. “You were only supposed to be in Appleoosa for a few days….”
“It’s…complicated….”
That was when Fluttershy opened her eyes again, and noticed the Earth Pony’s mane…graying and frayed. The creaks and wrinkles around her face. “…you should see Twilight,” the pegasus managed to mumble.
“I reckon so,” Applejack replied, “But given that it’s been…what? Four years now? Five?”
“Seven,” Fluttershy replied with a gulp.
“Seven…” Applejack repeated under her breath. “Heh…guess it is hard t’keep track ‘o’ time when ya gotta focus on movin’ all the time….”
Fluttershy’s ears folded along her head, kneading her forehooves together. She opened her mouth to speak, but only a squeak came out. “It’s OK, Fluttershy,” Applejack said, patting her shoulder. “I’ve got a lot of explainin’ t’do, I know, but right now I gotta see my family. I gotta let ‘em know I’m OK…that I made it.”
She turned her gaze to the open road now behind her. “I made it….”
And again Fluttershy held her close. “Yes you did…” she said. “And thank goodness for that.”

((Yes, Donny’sboy, I did choose that title because you’re running this prompt. ;3
That said, I’m pretty unhappy with this…I just could not get it to move beyond the Basic Concept, and it came out really flat as a result, IMO. But it was good t’stretch the ol’ writing muscles again, at least.))

Donnys Boy
Group Admin

Thanks very much for the welcome! :)

Free-associating a bit here, but one of the things I was reminded of while reading this piece was Forrest Gump. Mostly due to Maud's understated tone for the most emotional moments of the story, very "And that's all I have to say about that." I think my favorite element of the story was how Maud's complicated relationship with her mother was made evident in very few words. That was nicely done.

Donnys Boy
Group Admin

It's interesting where writing takes us, isn't it? I've always found timed writing prompts good for that more free-form kind of writing, and some really neat stuff can come of it.

I like one of the things that this story seems to imply about Luna and her return. She seems younger here, and the reference to regression seems to support that, and it would help explain why she's shorter and a somewhat different color than she appears come "Luna Eclipsed." Also, I might be mistaken, but it feels like Luna's language is even more old timey than in that episode, which makes sense since she's just newly returned from her moon exile.

The love between Luna and Celestia was nicely portrayed, as well.

Donnys Boy
Group Admin

Aww, long-lost AJ! I dig the beginning of the story, and it's slice of life flow, which sort of sets up the reader to be surprised right along with Fluttershy. I also like the details Fluttershy notices when looking at Applejack, such as "creaks and wrinkles." I will say, though, that this does feel like the beginning of a story and not a story in and of itself. Perhaps something to expand upon at a later date, if you're interested?

p.s. I do appreciate your thinking of me re: the story title. :D

4325491 Yeah, it kind of IS too; I have this vague image of the larger story it'd be attached to, and after failing to get traction on the other ideas I had for the prompt, it was the best I could think of. Glad you appreciated what I managed to get down, at least, so thank you. ^_^

4323361 Wooo! Donny prompt!

Legacy Prompt #33: Longer Than Expected

Twilight sighed as she stepped off the train from Canterlot. Ponyville had felt like home for a long time for her, and she always felt a sense of relief whenever she came back into the town. Even when she’d only been away for a week or so. Or that was what Twilight thought-she had lost track of time in the Archives, as most of the inner rooms were kept illuminated by light spells.

As Twilight walked from the train station, heading back toward her castle, there was sensation that something was wrong about Ponyville. She couldn’t put her hoof on it, but Twilight shrugged, and moved on. She was looking forward to seeing her friends again, but first, she really needed a shower.

Refreshed, her bags deposited in the empty castle, Twilight headed back towards Ponyville. It was a little odd that Spike hadn’t been in the castle, but Twilight supposed she would find him at Rarity’s. And Rarity did sound like a good first visit, especially if she was going to find Spike. As she walked through town, Twilight was struck once more by how different the citizens of Ponyville treated their resident Princess. In Canterlot, Twilight couldn’t walk five meters without some noble trying to accost her. The Ponyville ponies seemed to be content with wilful ignorance, ignoring the fact that Twilight Sparkle was an alicorn until they absolutely had to remember. And Twilight was glad for that.

As she approached the boutique, Twilight cocked her head to one side. Had Rarity repainted or changed the design? The Boutique wasn’t quite matching up with her memory of it. With a shrug, Twilight knocked on the door, and only opened it once Rarity’s voice sang out the invitation to come inside.

“Hello Rarity,” said Twilight, striding into the Boutique. From behind her sewing machine, Rarity blinked.

“Twilight!” said Rarity, practically leaping out from behind her worktable, and embracing the alicorn. “Oh, it’s so good to see you at last! We all feared you had left us behind for Canterlot!”

“Rarity, I only said I was going to be gone a week,” said Twilight, her face scrunching up in confusion, trying to remember how many times she’d seen the sun rise since departing Ponyville.

“Oh, I know the feeling, Twilight. You just get so wrapped up in a project that it’s all that you can think about, and we understand that. But you might have at least sent us a letter telling us that you were going to be there longer than you expected,” said Rarity.

“I was only there for a week, Rarity. Maybe two at the outside,” said Twilight. Rarity wrapped a hoof around Twilight.

“Twilight, dear, you were gone for three months,” said Rarity, as Twilight’s mouth dropped open. “Things have changed around here since you left.” To emphasise her point, Rarity guestured around the Boutique. Before, it had been filled with elegant dresses, and a smattering of suits for the stallions, but now, every article of clothing was made out of plaid.

Before Rarity could explain why, Twilight Sparkle vanished in a burst of purple. Rarity guessed that she was going to go and check on the rest of their friends, and decided that she could use a break anyway, and headed out.

The closest thing to Rarity’s boutique was Rainbow Dash’s house, but Twilight knew that it was unlikely that she’d find Rainbow there. So instead, Twilight teleported straight up. Over Ponyville, it would be easier to spot the pegasus, and sure enough, Twilight soon caught sight of the familiar rainbow contrail, and angled herself toward it, calling out to Rainbow.

Twilight soon found herself swept up by the pegasus, who was wearing the uniform of a delivery company.

“Yeah,” sighed Rainbow, once Twilight questioned her on it, “turns out, doing a ground-level sonic rainboom was not my best idea. Every bit that I earn goes to paying for the repairs. Gotta go, Twi. Deliveries to make, and all.”

As Rainbow raced off, Twilight vanished in another flash of purple. She reappeared outside of Fluttershy’s cottage, which was completely empty. Several of the windows were broken, the door was unlocked, and only animals remained.

Another teleport deposited Twilight in Pinkie Pie’s room, where she found a note.

‘Dear Twilight,’ it read, ‘I have gone back to the rock farm so that I can be with Rocky. He wants a traditional wedding, and only my Dad can speak rock. Won’t be back for a really long time-rock weddings take ages. Your friend, Pinkie Pie.’ Twilight vanished one last time.

She burst into existence again at Sweet Apple Acres, and headed for the house. However, before she could reach it, she ran into Big Macintosh by the barn near the house.

“Oh, Big Mac!” said Twilight, “is Applejack around?”

“Nnope,” rumbled the stallion.

“Do you know where she is?”

“Eeyup.”

“And where is she?” asked Twilight. Big Macintosh paused for a moment.

“Manehatten,” he eventually rumbled, “gone t’ talk with the Oranges.”

“Oh,” said Twilight, “Alright. Thanks anyway, Big Mac.”

“Eeyup.”

****Time****

Twilight Sparkle took flight, heading back over toward Ponyville. Big Mac walked into the barn, and closed the door.

“Is she gone?” hissed a voice.

“Eeyup,” said Big Mac.

“Hoo-ee!” said Applejack, poking her head out of the bale of hay that she’d been hiding in, “Ain’t never had to hide in the hay for a right long time like that before!”

“I dunno, I thought it was super-fun!” said Pinkie Pie. Applejack chuckled, and pulled her hat off Pinkie’s head.

“Are you sure that this is alright?” said Fluttershy, floating down from the upstairs loft, “I mean, I don’t want this to upset Twilight.”

“Nah, she’ll be fine once we tell her. But seriously, this was the best idea ever,” grinned Rainbow Dash, having come through the open window. There was a knock at the door of the barn, and after checking who it was, Big Macintosh let Rarity inside.

“Right, Twilight is heading back to the castle. Shall we go and put her mind at ease?” said Rarity. “After all, she was only gone ten days.” With that, the five friends headed off towards Ponyville.

Donnys Boy
Group Admin

First, I like that this story was a light and comedic piece. A bit of a subversion and a nice change of pace. Second, I really dig all the fake goings-on here, from Pinkie's wedding to Rainbow's delivery gig to Rarity's dabbling in plaid (PLAID!). It does seem like this is a bit of an elaborate prank, though, and I do wonder how everyone got AJ and Fluttershy on board with it.

Oh hey, Donnys Boy. Good seeing you doing a legacy prompt. This is quite a lot of responses!

As for this story, I'm not sure about it. It's getting later in the week so I forced myself to write something I'm not quite happy with.

Anyway, glad to see you around. Hope you're having fun with running this prompt!

Sunlight streamed in through Twilight Sparkle's castle window, shining brightly against the polished crystal floor and reflecting into a rainbow of colors that glowed across every surface. It was beautiful during the day. In the early morning, sometimes, Twilight felt a bit less appreciation for the bright, scintillating shine. But for some reason she felt absolutely perfect this morning. Twilight paused as she sat up in bed. Wasn't there something she was forgetting?

Was it late for waking up? She felt like she had been asleep for a while now. No, no, today had just started. It was bright, sunny, and a beautiful spring day in Ponyville.

In no time Twilight was out of bed, mane brushed and breakfast cooked. Spike came wandering downstairs just before the pancakes were ready, rubbing his eyes but with a bounce in his step. "Morning, Twilight. Are you... cooking breakfast?"

"Good morning, Spike! I felt good today, and I just wanted to try it out again. But look, I didn't burn anything!"

It was true that Twilight rarely cooked. Spike had been learning how since he was hatched, but for whatever reason, Twilight had always lacked any aptitude whatsoever. But today, everything had turned out just perfectly! Twilight trotted happily over to the little table she and Spike shared, and had a satisfying, hot breakfast. Even if she couldn't shake that nagging feeling in the back of her mind, she was impressed with her own cooking today.

Twilight looked around Ponyville as she left her huge, crystal castle. She didn't have any errands today, but she couldn't help herself, she just had to get out and enjoy the lovely weather. A breeze caught Twilight's mane, and she smiled brightly at the feeling. Looking up, she saw that it seemed to have been caused by Rainbow Dash as the pegasus blew past them at full speed. She was laughing and obviously enjoying herself, and only a moment later two other pegasi went racing after her, both in Wonderbolts uniforms and only slightly outclassed.

Since when did Rainbow Dash have impromptu races with the Wonderbolts over Ponyville? That was strange, but Twilight just shook her head and decided that she'd go over toward Sugarcube Corner. While the pancake breakfast had been nice, topping it off with a cupcake or other breakfast pastry sounded even better. It seemed like every pony in Ponyville was in high spirits today, out enjoying the sunny weather, all smiles and pleasant conversations.

Even Applejack. Twilight smiled at the sight of Applejack fussing about the price of the fancy hats at the little stand in the market. When Applejack spotted Twilight, she simply waved off the idea of buying anything and trotted right over. "Heya, Sugar. You're lookin' fit as a fiddle today."

Twilight Sparkle just smiled and returned Applejack's sudden hug. "Thank, Applejack. I do feel pretty great. Were you shopping for clothes? I didn't think you'd ever go looking for a new hat!"

Applejack suddenly chuckled nervously, with a slight blush across her muzzle. "Uh, well. I got a date t'night actually. She's the real fancy type, you know, and I thought I ought to get somethin' that might impress her."

A date? Applejack had a date? With a mare? But... "Oh, I... I didn't know you had a special somepony! I'm sure Rarity would be happy to make you something nice, though!"

The quiet chuckle that followed, and Applejack shaking her head but declining to answer directly, was all that Twilight needed to confirm her suspicion. Twilight just smiled, and then hugged Applejack again. "Don't worry, Applejack. I'm sure she's more impressed with the pony than she is with the clothes. When did you two even talk about this? I can't believe Rarity managed to keep quiet!"

Applejack smiled at first, but then furrowed her brow. "Y' know, I ain't really sure. I think it was when we got back from the Crystal Empire, but it's all fuzzy. I reckon we must have done it sometime, though. But this mornin' I woke up and the farm didn't seem to need any tendin' to, so I thought I'd use my time to come out and pick up somethin' nice to wear."

The Crystal Empire! They had gone to fight Sombra, and then... well, they must have won. Twilight felt her own brow knit for a moment, but then she shook her head to clear it, and just smiled to her friend. "Well, don't worry about Rarity, I'm sure your date will be go great!"

Sugarcube Corner was especially loud, and especially crowded. But it was a nice, sunny day, and Twilight could hear the music even from outside of the building. Pinkie Pie must be having some kind of party inside.

When Twilight opened the door to the bakery, her suspicions were confirmed. The bright, cheery shop was packed wall to wall with dancing, happy ponies, all dancing, talking, and laughing with each other. One of Pinkie's dance records was playing loudly from a nearby grammophone, and Twilight knew she probably wasn't going to get her choice in baked goods today. Somehow, despite the crush of ponies all around her, Pinkie showed up nearly as soon as she walked in the door. "Twilight! You made it! Isn't this the best party EVER?"

"It does look fun! Who is it for? Aren't the Cakes a little worried about their sales?" Twilight found herself having to shout just to be heard.

Pinkie Pie just laughed and threw her forelegs around Twilight in a warm, happy hug. "Noperooni! They totally said I can have all the parties I want, even if it lasts all day! Now I can bake nice treats for everypony and dance while I'm doing it! Woohoo! Oh, wait, the cupcakes!"

Twilight was left blinking in surprise as Pinkie Pie dashed off, maneuvering perfectly and effortlessly through the crowd on her way to save the next batch of cakes from burning. She was pretty certain that she had never seen Sugarcube Corner so packed, nor had she ever seen a party where everypony seemed so completely happy with everything. It seemed as though every pony there had their drinks and their treats, everypony was dancing but nopony bumped into anypony.

Fluttershy was even in the middle of a group of ponies that Twilight was fairly certain the pegasus didn't even know. They were all talking and laughing together, and Fluttershy seemed to be beaming with happiness, just from her own ability to blend in so easily. Even Angel Bunny was just resting contentedly on Fluttershy's back, not causing a ruckus or being obstinate and rude. It was so strange, seeing Fluttershy so at ease, that it gave Twilight pause again.

But only for a moment. The happy townsponies, the catchy music, and the temptation to dance along overcame her, and after only that momentary hesitation, Twilight Sparkle just jumped right in.

(Time)

King Sombra's horn glowed a dark green and purple as he reinforced the spell. Five mares down, one to go. Somehow that little dragon had escaped as well, but what harm could he do?

Sombra knew he was a powerful unicorn. He had taken the Crystal Empire before, and he would do it again. But he wasn't so arrogant as to believe nopony could teach him anything. These five mares, as well as their dragon and that missing white unicorn, had taught him quite a bit. Sombra knew fear. He knew hatred and misery. Those were tools he had used to take the Crystal Empire, and they were good tools in their own right. But these ponies had shown him just how useful light and love could be.

Take away everything a pony loves, and they'll cringe away from you, they'll flee, and they'll cower. Most of the time. But some few will rise up against you. Some few powerful ponies like the ones in this little group, and the new Crystal Princess.

What Sombra had found is that if you give a pony everything they've ever dreamed, they won't even want to leave.

The ponies sat there, staring blankly forward with green eyes. King Sombra smiled cruelly, and turned to seek out the last of their group. He could already see himself on the throne once again, and soon there would be nopony left to stop him.

Donnys Boy
Group Admin

Thank you kindly! For what it's worth, I really liked this piece overall. I think the slow reveal of just what was wrong was nicely executed, in particular. From the very beginning, things felt slightly off, but I couldn't say just what it was, and things felt more and more off the further in I got. I think perhaps each individual scene might have benefited from some expansion, but that's a minor critique and the kind of thing easily fixed in revisions--and these submissions aren't meant to be polished final pieces, besides.

Also, I find it kind of heartbreaking that Applejack's one big desire is just to go out with Rarity. Oh, AJ. (Makes me wonder what Rarity would have to say, assuming she and Spike manage to rescue the others from Sombra's clutches ...)

Donnys Boy
Group Admin

CELESTIA, YOU REALLY DID NOT ADEQUATELY EXPLAIN. GOSH DARN IT.

I really like all the sensory details in the first paragraph and the way they convey Twilight's emotions and state of mind. Very nice. I also love the idea of alicorns having life cycles similar to a phoenix, with deaths followed by rebirths. It really does seem fitting. The final line also brings some much-appreciated humor to the piece.

I am wondering now, though, just how long it can take for an alicorn to be reborn ...

Esle Ynopemos
Group Admin

4323361 ((I never have properly thanked you for running this guest prompt. Thank you very much!))

Legacy Prompt #33: "Gone for Ages"

Rainbow Dash paused on the road at the threshold of town. It felt like an age since she'd been here. She was a different mare now than she was when she'd left. Older. Wiser. More awesome. Dust caked on her cracked dry lips as she peered at the half-remembered rows of old houses and shops.

Ponyville. The name rolled through her mind like the voice of an old friend, and like an old friend it made her smile. She was back in Ponyville again. Her wings were a bit sore, so she set off by hoof into town.

Time had not robbed Rainbow of her ability to find her way around the old place. Ponyville had never been that big, and its landmarks were all pretty distinctive. Even after all she'd been through, there was no way Rainbow could get lost here. Knowing that, Rainbow knew just where her first stop would be.

Twilight's castle was quiet. Rainbow's hail of, “Hey, guess who's back,” went unanswered save for its echoes in the crystal hall. She figured Twilight must be in her chambers, and a quick flight outside and up to her window to check proved her right.

Rainbow tapped on the window. “Hey Twi, it's me,” she called.

“Mhm,” Twilight muttered. Her eyes never left the book on her desk.

Rainbow tried to open the window, but it was fused with the crystal wall. She'd seen Twilight open them before, but they must have only responded to magic or something. “Hey, open up, Twi. Didn't you miss me?”

“Mhm.” Twilight made no move to open her window.

Rainbow Dash groaned in frustration. “Say 'mhm' if I can use your crown for a game of frisbee.”

Twilight turned a page. “Uh-huh.”

Rainbow smacked her forehead. Whatever. Twilight got this way when she was doing egghead stuff. There would be time for tearful reunions later. She had more ponies to see.

Carousel Boutique was just like Rainbow remembered it. Rarity always kept the showroom floor pristine. It was good to see that some things never changed.

Rainbow stepped inside. “Rarity, I'm back!” she shouted.

She heard a high-pitched shriek. “Rainbow Dash!” Rarity came around the corner of a rack of dresses, fury in her eyes. “What in the name of Celestia do you think you are doing?”

“I'm letting you know I'm back in town,” Rainbow replied. She spread her forelegs for a hug.

“You're getting dirt everywhere!

Rainbow looked down. She had picked up a lot of dirt on her hooves and wingtips during her travels, and now some of that was deposited on Rarity's pristine showroom floor and smudged on some of the nearby dress-stands. She frowned. “I was just—”

“Out!” Rarity demanded.

“But I—”

Out!” A broom bathed in blue magic swatted Rainbow out the door.

Rainbow rubbed her foreleg. “Jeez.” She turned and headed in the direction of Fluttershy's cottage. Surely her oldest friend missed her.

She found Fluttershy out back tending to her chickens. “I'm back,” Rainbow announced, landing with a flourish beside the coop.

“Hi, Rainbow,” Fluttershy said, before turning her attention back to her birds. She clicked her tongue at the hens.

“'Hi Rainbow?' Is that really all I get?” Rainbow growled. “Did nopony miss me at all?”

Fluttershy's ears folded back. “W-were you gone somewhere? I'm sorry, Rainbow, I've been busy all day today, so if you said something, maybe I missed it.”

I missed you!” Pinkie Pie sprang out of the chicken coop, startling both Fluttershy and the chickens. She tumbled out of the front, hopped back up to her hooves, and cradled Rainbow's head in her forelegs. “It feels like an age since you were here! You're a different mare than you were before you left. Older. Wiser. More super-fantabulatastic!”

Rainbow Dash's cheeks squished against her face in Pinkie's crushing hug. “Well at leasht shomepony notished I wash gone,” she muttered.

“Land's sakes, Dash,” said Applejack, hefting a sack of birdseed next to Fluttershy. “You act like you've been gone for a year of hard labor. You were only helpin' me with an afternoon's chores on the farm!”

Rainbow peeled herself out of Pinkie's grasp. “An afternoon? No way, that had to have been at least a week!”

“I can see how you might think that, with how many nap breaks you took,” Applejack said, “but it's just been an afternoon. And a short one, at that!”

Thought I'd do a sillier, more ridiculous story this time. Hopefully it worked out.

The first thing Applejack noticed as she stepped off the train was a suspicious lack of ponies there to greet her. The second thing she noticed was the smoke rising above the library.

She raced toward the fire. The flames climbed high above Golden Oaks Library, and they also were a bizarre and unnatural shade of blue-ish purple. Twilight stood outside, watching helplessly as the fire engulfed her home.

"Twilight! Are you all right?"

Twilight nodded. "I'm fine." She turned and pointed to her home. "But the library isn't."

Applejack looked back at the burning tree. "What in tarnation happened, anyway?"

"Well..." Twilight rubbed the back of her neck. "Remember that potion I was working on that would grant the drinker immortality or else explode in a massive, uncontainable fire?"

"Yeah?"

Twilight looked at the ground. "It didn't grant me immortality."

Applejack facehooved. "Twilight, what did I tell you about messin' with the laws of nature?"

Twilight sighed. "It's wrong and it comes with consequences I can hardly foresee."

"Then why in Equestria did you push forward with this?"

Twilight shrugged. "You weren't there to nag me, so I thought this was my chance."

Rolling her eyes, Applejack put a hoof on her friend's back. "What did you learn?"

"That you're usually right about these things," Twilight muttered.

Just then, something whizzed past them, hitting the ground with a massive thud. They both rushed over to see what it was.

Rainbow Dash lay in a heap amidst the crater she had made in the dirt. She rolled to her belly, wincing as she tried to stand and stretch her wings. "Ow..."

"Rainbow Dash?" Applejack narrowed her eyes. "I should've known. What kind of dang fool thing was that?"

Dash gave her a weak grin. "My newest trick." She coughed. "Only it didn't actually work this time. Heh."

"New trick? You mean--"

Dash nodded, her grin widening. "Aw, yeah! The Rainbow Dash's Patented Sonic Loop Blitz!" She tried to stand again, abandoning the attempt as soon as her full weight was on her legs.

Applejack shook her head. "Now, Dash, I thought I told you to check with Twilight before trying these bonehead maneuvers of yours to see if they're safe!"

Dash raised an eyebrow. "Uh, I did."

Lowering her head, Twilight looked away from Applejack. "I was too busy with my potion to even check."

Applejack stomped her hoof into the dirt. "Consarnit, girls! At least have a little sense!"

Just then, something roared on the edge of the Everfree. Somepony squealed in terror.

"That sounds like Fluttershy!" For a third time, Applejack galloped off toward a friend in peril.

"No, uh, that's fine! I'll just be here!" Dash called.

"Rub some dirt on it!" came Applejack's response.

Dash rolled her eyes. "Oh, yeah, "rub some dirt on it." That'll help." She shook her head. She found herself looking from her bruised body to the dirt. "Oh, what the hay." Dash smeared it over her injured legs. "There's no way that--" She stood easily. "Oh hey, it worked!"

Meanwhile, Applejack was whipping some kind of fierce mutant creature. She was starting to lose track of what the Everfree's abominations were called. Fluttershy was in tears, clinging tightly to Twilight.

"He seemed like he'd be friendly!" she sobbed. "And then the big meanie roared and tried to bite my head off!"

Applejack wrangled her lasso around the thing's torso, pulling it tight. It gave one last mighty roar, then toppled onto its behind. She quickly tied off all of its limbs. Even the weird slimy tentacle ones.

"Fluttershy, next time couldja please make sure there's somepony with you before you try to befriend," she looked at the creature, "that?!"

Fluttershy nodded, rocking herself in Twilight's hooves. "I just wanted to be friends. I just wanted to be friends," she said over and over.

Scootaloo burst through the door of the cottage. "Applejack! Thank goodness you're here! Apple Bloom and Sweetie Belle are stranded on the vines above the lake!"

"So? That lake's perfectly fine. They can swim."

Laughing nervously, Scootaloo shrunk back. "Yeah, about that..." She bit her lip. "We kinda-sorta-maybe... filled it with cragodiles."

"You what?!" Applejack yelled.

"We thought we'd get our cutie marks in cragodile taming!" Scootaloo lowered her head. "Instead, the cragodiles tamed us.

With a sigh, Applejack straightened her hat. "Lead the way."

Yet again Applejack found herself being dragged to clean up somepony else's mess. It wasn't easy being the voice of reason in a town of crazies. But somehow, Applejack did it.

And she wouldn't have it any other way.

Donnys Boy
Group Admin

Hey, thanks for inviting me. :)

This was a really solid slice-of-life comedy, and I got a kick out of it. Pretty early on I figured out that Rainbow wasn't gone for as long as it was being made to seem, but that didn't detract at all from the reveal at the story's end. I also like that it was Applejack who gets to do the reveal, as I think her brand of exasperation is particularly well-suited for taking the air out of her friends' melodramatics.

Donnys Boy
Group Admin

I'm really in love with idea as Applejack as the sort of unsung hero of Ponyville who keeps the whole town from imploding, so this story was basically designed to appeal to me. :) I found all of the situations amusingly over-the-top, and it was nice to see Applejack express affection for her crazies along with the (entirely understandable) frustration.

That is basically how I think of Applejack. Although I don't think her friends usually need quite that much advice, she does often serve as the voice of reason. It's why she's such a good character, despite what everyone says.

Didn't get to finish as not used to writing a story in 30 minutes but....

After what seemed like an eternity, Spike awoke. He held his head, feeling groggy and dizzy from oversleeping. How long had he been out? He was certain that this was the longest he had ever slept. What had happened? Having been asleep so long, Spiek’s memory was foggy, but he concentrated.

Rarity… he felt an ache in his stomach. She had grown old, like all of Twilight’s friends. The life span of a dragon was nothing compared to a pony, but he had forced himself not to think on that until it happened. She passed away, so suddenly her life ended. The loss hurt him more than anything else he could think, but he had other friends and enjoyed there company. Then in a few short years, which seemed hardly more than weeks to him, they were gone as well. All he had left was Twilight, and with her increased duties as a Princess and to other ponies, she had less and less time for him.

That was how it started, Spike didn’t know how to handle those feelings, the intense lonliness, the all consuming emptiness, so he found himself a cave and curled up, willing himself into a sleep of the ages, hoping that when he awoke the pain would be gone.

Of course it wasn’t, but at least it felt less immediate. He didn’t know how long he had been out, but surely Twilight would be eager to see him now. How long was he sleep anyway? Days? Weeks? Did it really matter?

He left the cave and began walking back. Nothing was foolish enough to disturb an adult dragon on the march. For his part, Spike was careful where he put his great feet or swishing tail. It did not take him long to reach Ponyville. Wait, was this Ponyville? It didn’t look like Ponyville.

It was larger, looking more closer to a city than a back water town, filled with strange lights and towering buildings, some taller even than him, all in a style he had never seen. Some ponies gawked and yelled at the sight of him.

“A dragon! A dragon! Run for your lives!”

Spike sighed.

“Guys, it’s me! Spike!” But the crowd paid him no heed. How could they not recognise Twilight’s royal dragon?

Had he taken a wrong step somewhere? Spike was sure he knew the way back to Ponyville by now, and if not, where was he?

He moved around the strange town/city (he could not be sure which applied). No, this was it. Near the centre of town was Twilight’s friendship palace.

He headed towards, trying to ignore the panicing ponies. This new Ponyville was a lot harder to move through, it was a lot more cluttered and far more grounded, but he did his past.

Long before he reached the palace, a familiar purple shape flew towards him.

“Spike! You’re finally awake!” The voice was unmistakebly Twilight’s, yet she did not sound or look the same. She was almost Luna’s size and her voice was deeper.

“Twilight what happened?”

“Ponytroplis it-”
“Ponytropolis?!”

“It’s not Ponyville anymore. You’ve been gone for years Spike, so many new ponies have to us and so much technology has been invented. Let me show you around.”

If you guys like I could try making this into a full story

• Viewing 1 - 50 of 21